PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Poison Dart Frogs

Cuchulainn
Wednesday, May 18th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Is there anyone that has experience with poison dart frogs? I had two Suriname Cobalts a couple of years ago but was unable to keep enough of a foodsoarce going to keep them alive:~(... I would like to try again but actually be able to keep them until they go of old age

Wychaert
Wednesday, May 18th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Your talking about Dendrobates tinctorius, right?

The food source is relatively easy.
. you can buy dust crickets.
. You can buy fruit flies and place an apple slice on a little dish so the flies stays on the ground.
.you can buy springtails, and ceep the enclosure moised with humidity level 80, so they keep on breeding and provides an constant food source.

Dendrobates tinctorius are a nice species of dartfrogs, good luck!

Hersir
Wednesday, May 18th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Wow, those frogs look really cool. Havnt heard of anyone keeping frogs as pets here, I guess it's illegal. We cant keep lizards, snakes, turtles etc. Spiders are allowed.

I would guess you could feed them meal worms too.

Catterick
Tuesday, April 19th, 2016, 06:50 PM
The dart frogs, mantellas and the like are beautiful. A lot of people create mossy vivariums for them, they're little pieces of tropical forest.

Catterick
Tuesday, January 31st, 2017, 09:28 AM
How large were the frogs and are you sure they starved? Were the temperature and humidity correct?

Ahnenerbe
Tuesday, January 31st, 2017, 11:24 AM
[post moved to here - I had initially posted this under the wrong thread]

The only poison frog I'd be interested in is the Kambo frog that has a poison which can be used for general body detoxification (it is now becoming a trend, a bit like ayahuasca).

The good thing is that the frogs don't need to be killed i order to extract the poison.

Kambo: Can Poison from a Frog Fix Your Health Challenges? (http://www.collective-evolution.com/2016/05/28/kambo-can-poison-from-a-frog-fix-your-health-challenges/)

http://kambomedicina.com/

Bill Noble
Tuesday, January 31st, 2017, 11:52 PM
Are you sure they're dead and not merely sleeping? Stroke their shoulders gently and kiss them on the lips to see if they awaken.