PDA

View Full Version : Massacre at the Hillfort: Mass Grave That is Challenging Our Beliefs About Iron Age Britain

trojanerikson
Tuesday, April 19th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Archaeologists at the site in Derbyshire found four babies, a two-year-old, a teenage boy and three adults
The screams must have been unbearable.
High on the peaks of the Pennines, a terrified group of women, teenagers and children sat huddled in the half-finished ditches and walls of their hill fort, surrounded by gloating faces.
The men were missing, either killed in battle or taken to one side to be pressed into military service or sold for slaves by their captors.

But that left the less valuable women and children to be disposed of. Any pleas for clemency fell on death ears.

Dozens, maybe even hundreds, of women, babies and children were stabbed or strangled, stripped of possessions and tossed into the ditch that encircled the fort.

Then their attackers toppled a 13ft-high limestone wall over their broken bodies, covering the mass grave with a litter of rocks and soil.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1378190/Iron-Age-mass-grave-reveals-slaughter-women-children.html#ixzz1Jy7Difyp

flâneur
Tuesday, April 19th, 2011, 01:58 PM
They may have been victims of disease or killed out of mercy,who knows.

They do like to portray our ancestors as babaric savages though at any given oppurtunity.

The Horned God
Tuesday, April 19th, 2011, 06:55 PM
They may have been victims of disease or killed out of mercy,who knows.

Sufferers from an infectious disease, even if their chances of recovery are slim, usually cling to the hope that they will get better. They do not generally volunteer to have their throats cut or be run-through with a pike.

Elessar
Tuesday, April 19th, 2011, 07:09 PM
They do like to portray our ancestors as babaric savages though at any given oppurtunity.

Bear in mind, Iron and Bronze ages were extremely violent. The scope of violence is not limited to Europe or any other part of the world.
Though Roman propaganda is really all we have, I get the impression people don't like to think our ancestors were savage because we have this romantic sentimentality. Finds like this add further proof our ancestors liked to fuck shit up.

flâneur
Tuesday, April 19th, 2011, 07:12 PM
If you read the article it says they have found the remains of nine bodies under a collapsed wall....the expert goes on to say there could be hundreds of bodies.

Well nine bodies that could have been sheltering behind a wall that fell down maybe....who knows.

Dreaming up some barbaric scenario where ancient English tribes wiped each other out in some blood lust sounds a bit far fetched until all the facts are in imo.

I imagine our ancient societies were far more complex and subtle than what they are given credit for and im just saying that when ever you hear about Britons that are pre bible era they are always tagged as babarians or savage with the words "Human sacrifice" thrown in for good measure.
I dont buy into it myself or the notion that anyhting British that pre dates the semitic biblical rubbish is barbaric.
Thats just me though....call me an old fascis....erm old fashioned..;)

Elessar
Tuesday, April 19th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Granted, and I don't buy the notion of "savagery" either, but one can't rule out senseless tribal warfare. It's just as stupid to apply the "noble savage" nomenclature to ancient Europeans as it is to Native Americans.
It doesn't sound as far-fetched as the 2 World Wars sound. Germanic nations going at each-others throats and massacring millions; and for what? Seems as on par with Iron age tribal warfare.