PDA

View Full Version : Notable Frisians

celticviking
Thursday, April 7th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Magnus Forteman (~809), legendary commander and magistrate governor of Friesland.

Ygo Gales Galama (1443–1493), an infamous medieval warlord, Galama-family patriarch.

Pier Gerlofs Donia (1480–1520), Frisian freedom fighter and folk hero, founder of the Arumer Black Heap

Menno Simons, (1496–January 31, 1561) was an Anabaptist religious leader from Friesland whose followers became known as Mennonites.

Wijard Jelckama (1490–1523), Frisian freedom fighter, nephew of Pier Gerlofs Donia and who later led the Frisian rebellion (Arumer Black Heap)

Gemma Frisius (1508–1555), mathematician and cartographer

Bernard Fokke (1600–1641), on whom the Flying Dutchman is said to be based

Wiebbe Hayes (born around 1608), a Colonial soldier hero from Winschoten

Peter Stuyvesant (1612–1672), last Dutch Director-General of the colony of New Netherland (New York).

Matthias Petersen (1632–1706), whaling captain from Föhr. In his lifetime he caught 373 whales.

Hark Olufs (1708–1754), sailor from Amrum. He was enslaved by Algerian pirates and eventually became Commander in Chief of the Bey of Constantine's cavalry.

Eise Eisinga (1744–1828), Frisian amateur astronomer and builder of the oldest working planetaria in the world.

Oluf Braren (1787–1839), painter from Föhr.

Jens Jacob Eschels (1757–1842), seafarer and entrepreneur. He became known by his autobiography.

Christian von Ompteda (1765–1815), commander in the Napoleonic Wars.

Theodor Storm (1817–1888), who wrote Der Schimmelreiter

Theodor Mommsen (1817–1903). He received the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1902, and was also a prominent German politician, as a member of the Prussian and German parliaments.

Stine Andresen (1849–1927), poet from Föhr who also wrote in Fering. Befriended poet Friedrich Hebbel.

Mata Hari, (born as Margaretha Geertruida Zelle, August 7, 1876, in
Leeuwarden (Friesland)) infamous dancer, courtesan and executed as a spy in France

Simon Vestdijk (1899–1971), novelist, musician, psychological analyst.

Pieter Sjoerds Gerbrandy (1885–1961), prime minister of the Dutch government in exile during World War II.

Maurits Cornelis Escher (1898–1972). A famous graphic artist born in Leeuwarden.

William Frankena (1908-1994), American philosopher of Ethics; scholar in history of ethics; played role in controversies of the 1950's.

Frederik Paulsen Sr (1909–1997), physician. Founder of Ferring Pharmaceuticals.

Abe Lenstra (1920 – 1985) was a famous Dutch football player and national football icon in the 1950s.

Friede Springer (born 1942), widow of publisher Axel Springer and major shareholder of Axel Springer AG.

Jouke de Vries - Dutch PVDA politician

Lenny Dykstra - Major League baseball player for the New York Mets (1985–1989) and Philadelphia Phillies (1989–1996).

Anna-Marie Lampe - Playboy magazine (U.S. Edition) 40th Anniversary Playmate/Playmate of the Month for January 1994; Playboy magazine (Dutch Edition) Playmate of the year for 1995.

Doutzen Kroes, (born January 23, 1985, in Eastermar, Friesland) is a Dutch supermodel.

Titus Brandsma, Carmelite priest of the Roman Catholic Church, anti-Nazi Dutch resistance voice († 1942)

Wolfgang Petersen, German movie director (e.g. Das Boot)

Piter Wilkens, (1959-) is a Frisian folk and pop singer.

Grant Hayunga (born 1970), painter and musician.

Josh Freese - American musician of Frisian descent

Jane Fonda, actress with Frisian ancestry

Jack Lousma, astronaut with Frisian ancestry

Fred Eaglesmith, Canadian folk singer, original last name, Elgersma

Dieter Eilts, football (soccer) player, Nickname: the Alemão of East Frisia, won the UEFA European Championship: 1996 with Germany.

Alvin Plantinga, American philosopher of Frisian descent.

Hayley Westenra, an internationally renowned singer from New Zealand is of some Frisian descent.[10]

Otto Waalkes German comedian, actor and musician, born in Emden

Wout Zijlstra, strongest man of the Netherlands in 2001 and 3rd of the world in 1998.

Sven Kramer Dutch long track speed skater.

Edzard the Great, Count of East Frisia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisians

Sybren
Thursday, April 7th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Good list, but Gysbert Japicx Holckema (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gysbert_Japiks) (1603 - 1666) really needs to be in there too.

He is the most known Frisian Renaissance writer. He had great influence in making the Frisian language important again amongst other European languages. Also, his work is responsible for how nowadays Frisian is written.

And very important, his sister is a direct ancestor of myself ;)

And Haring Harinxma van Donia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haring_Harinxma) (1323 - 1404), who was a powerful Frisian Potestate (ruler) of western Fryslân. He was a direct ancestor of (Grutte)Pier Gerlofs Donia (and of myself, brag :P ).

And further old Frisian kings like Aldgisl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldgisl), Redbad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radbod,_King_of_the_Frisians), Poppo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poppo_(Frisian)). Their history is clouded in mystery because they lived in the early middle ages.

If the sources are true, the Frisian kings married princesses from Denmark, Sweden and Norway. Meaning probably a lot of Frisians have distant Scandinavian blood.

Again, the first two kings are probably ancestors of mine, but that was 1300 years ago, so i take that with a grain of salt ;)

+Suomut+
Friday, April 8th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Pier Gerlofs Donia (1480–1520), Frisian freedom fighter and folk hero, founder of the Arumer Black HeapIf anyone has any proof that Pier was a redhead please let me know, I do understand that he was shrouded in mystery to a great extent, sadly.

Menno Simons, (1496–January 31, 1561) was an Anabaptist religious leader from Friesland whose followers became known as Mennonites.WOW!, this really surprised me--I knew he was Dutch but didn't know about him being Frisian. One of my forefathers from Bern (Schweiz) lived with his family in Holland for a few yrs. before immigrating in the early 1700s to America, and he/they were Mennonites.

Peter Stuyvesant (1612–1672), last Dutch Director-General of the colony of New Netherland (New York)....wow, everyone in N.Y.C. knows his name.

Mata Hari, (born as Margaretha Geertruida Zelle, August 7, 1876, in Leeuwarden (Friesland)) infamous dancer, courtesan and executed as a spy in France...informative.

Jane Fonda, actress with Frisian ancestryI hadn't known this either, I presume Peter Fonda has it too.

And very important, his sister is a direct ancestor of myself ;) ...1 of your super great-granduncles. :thumbup

And further old Frisian kings like Redbad (http://forums.skadi.net/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikip edia.org%2Fwiki%2FRadbod%2C_King_of_the_ Frisians),I just read up on Radbod, and now I'm reminded of what a plague Charles Martel was upon Frisians and Frisia. I'm curious...any guesses on what the '-bod' suffix of Radbod's name means?

If the sources are true, the Frisian kings married princesses from Denmark, Sweden and Norway. Meaning probably a lot of Frisians have distant Scandinavian blood....plenty of folks with that kind of blood in northwestern Europe and beyond...me included. ;)

Again, the first two kings are probably ancestors of mine, but that was 1300 years ago, so i take that with a grain of salt ;)You're probably descended from Karl der Grosse too, but rumor has it that just about all Europids are too, lol. ;)

Sybren
Friday, April 8th, 2011, 10:56 AM
WOW!, this really surprised me--I knew he was Dutch but didn't know about him being Frisian. One of my forefathers from Bern (Schweiz) lived with his family in Holland for a few yrs. before immigrating in the early 1700s to America, and he/they were Mennonites.
I actually lived in the birthplace/hometown of Menno Simonsz for most of my life: Witmarsum (Frisian: Wytmarsum). There's a monument of him just outside the village: Menno Simonsz monument (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/81/221040827_bfa5b56806.jpg)

I used to play there one time as a little kid catching frogs in the pond next to it, but my friends and i were chased away by some protector of the monument :|
I don't know if Menno Simonsz is a direct ancestor of myself as well. It isn't very clear who his descendants were. I did found a 'Minne Simonsz' as a direct ancestor, but the dates of birth do not match (born in around 1568 against 1496 of the founder of the Mennonites). It could be a grandson (very often called the same as their grandfather in those times, and the birthdates would allow for it), or it could just be someone completely unrelated and i just want to be a direct descendant too much! :P

I just read up on Radbod, and now I'm reminded of what a plague Charles Martel was upon Frisians and Frisia. I'm curious...any guesses on what the '-bod' suffix of Radbod's name means?
I'm not sure. My guess is he had a red beard, hence Radbod/Redbad/Radboud. The Frisian name for red is 'read' and for beard is 'burd' by the way. Radbod was born in an area of old-Fryslân that is now southern Denmark/northern Germany by the way, so those names were usually quite Scandinavian like. Maybe it means something else, but Germanics were usually quite straightforward and logical with their names in those days ;)

...plenty of folks with that kind of blood in northwestern Europe and beyond...me included. ;)
Certainly a lot of English descended people have, because of the Vikings and Normans.

You're probably descended from Karl der Grosse too, but rumor has it that just about all Europids are too, lol. ;)
I read about him being practically an über-grandfather to most of todays Western Europeans :-O He must've had lots of kids...

Anlef
Friday, April 8th, 2011, 11:09 AM
About the name Redbad/Radbod:

It's a traditional Germanic name, made up from the elements *rēdaz 'rede, counsel, advice' and *baudiz 'commander, leader'. So the meaning of the name was something like 'well advised commander' or 'wise leader'.

The proper Old Frisian form was Rēdbād. The proper Old Dutch form was Rādbōd. In both cases the vowels were shortened over time. So now we have Frisian Redbad and Dutch Radbod.

Sometimes he's called Radboud in Dutch, but that is a mistaken form, for Dutch boud goes back to Old Germanic *balþaz 'bold, brave'.