PDA

View Full Version : Home-Cooked Meals Anyone?

Mistress Klaus
Tuesday, June 29th, 2004, 05:19 PM
I am wondering if the people here on Skadi.net actually prefer home cooked meals (real cooking..not just quick microwave frozen food!) or take away food. I am seeing a trend of the quick fix (for basically most things) in this modern world and I wondering if cooking & good eating habits was one of them. :(

To answer my own question. Yes I cook most nights. :D (the nights off are usually because of left-over food/meat from casseroles & roasts etc)...or going out.

Johannes de León
Tuesday, June 29th, 2004, 05:24 PM
yes, ideed, i'm not a big fan of microwave food, i just use them when i'm in a hurry. :)

i'm not a big fan of cooking too, but since i like to eat... ohh well, sacrifices must be done. Home cooked meals are really the best! :thumbsup

Scoob
Tuesday, June 29th, 2004, 05:35 PM
In the winter I like to cook more. But in the summer, I'd rather just buy food on the go, and eat simple foods that don't require much preparation at home.

New Yorkers rarely cook, and many people would consider that diagnostic of trends in the modern world in general.

Mistress Klaus
Tuesday, June 29th, 2004, 05:43 PM
In the winter I like to cook more. But in the summer, I'd rather just buy food on the go, and eat simple foods that don't require much preparation at home.

New Yorkers rarely cook, and many people would consider that diagnostic of trends in the modern world in general.

:) Yes the Summer months make me also reluctant to fire up the oven...so I usually have salads & quickly fry up a good steak. :P BBQ's and Beer also go good here in Australia. :D

I think I would hate living in New York. :D

Telperion
Tuesday, June 29th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Home-cooked food is always the best, as long as the cook knows what they're doing. I'd like to take a proper cooking course, but I can't seem to fit one into my schedule.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Tuesday, June 29th, 2004, 06:38 PM
I am wondering if the people here on Skadi.net actually prefer home cooked meals (real cooking..not just quick microwave frozen food!) or take away food. I am seeing a trend of the quick fix (for basically most things) in this modern world and I wondering if cooking & good eating habits was one of them. :(

To answer my own question. Yes I cook most nights. :D (the nights off are usually because of left-over food/meat from casseroles & roasts etc)...or going out.Cheddar beef, jelly crackers/cookies & juice: breakfast
Mustard sardines, crisps & maple tea: luncheon
Seafood platter, baked beans & punch: supper

Almost totally prepackaged! :P

Freja
Tuesday, June 29th, 2004, 07:33 PM
I take great pride in being a good cook. I inherited both the interest in cooking and ability to do so from my mum. Being a mother of two, I want my children to grow up to be as aware of what they put into their mouth as I am. Their dad had to be retrained, and I did that with great success.:D He now enjoys anything from my exquisite roast leg of lamb à la provence, to a platter of sushi and sashimi. He´s now well into my "winetasting for dummies" course...

I also prefer bio-dynamic grown food, the idea of eating remnants of pesticides, let alone feeding it to my babies, disgusts me.

Johannes de León
Tuesday, June 29th, 2004, 07:43 PM
I take great pride in being a good cook. I inherited both the interest in cooking and ability to do so from my mum. Being a mother of two, I want my children to grow up to be as aware of what they put into their mouth as I am. Their dad had to be retrained, and I did that with great success.:D He now enjoys anything from my exquisite roast leg of lamb à la provence, to a platter of sushi and sashimi. He´s now well into my "winetasting for dummies" course...

I also prefer bio-dynamic grown food, the idea of eating remnants of pesticides, let alone feeding it to my babies, disgusts me. Wow... awesome. i see you are a good mother, a very good one i shall add. :thumbsup

(girls, you should follow the example ;))

WarMaiden
Friday, July 9th, 2004, 06:33 PM
I love to cook, but in the summer months its a nightmare our kitchen is so darn warm... I haven't cooked much this past week with warm days and getting home late from work, my usual meals are Sheperds Pie - Stew - Breaded Chicken - Chili - Stir Fry - Chips (Fries made with real potatoes) and Burgers...

Hails

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Sunday, June 3rd, 2018, 09:54 AM
I like how my wife cooks meals at home. I prefer them to food at restaurants. I find that I disagree with recipe ideas in public far too often. For instance, seasoning might be good, but dressing could be gross. I don't buy mayonnaise, but while I like fast food, so many sandwiches come with it. I also heavily disagree with fusion cuisine, with people thinking chili peppers belong in everything.

Uwe Jens Lornsen
Sunday, June 3rd, 2018, 10:31 AM
No.

I am past the point of no return,
and therefore eat anything, because my death is sure.

I only by cheapest food,
because there is no reliance anymore, if the food
is produced by Germans in Germany or not.
I would just sponsor the very rich German clans,
that are partly responsible for the immigration mess,
we are in, and profit most of it :
Cheap labour and more citizens meaning more potentially purchasers.

I don't care if the spaghetti are named 'Marco' or 'Melissa' ,
most of the times I do not cook, but eat cold sandwiches;
in summer with cheese, and in winter with meat.

Finnish Swede
Sunday, June 3rd, 2018, 10:46 AM
As a country side girl .... I like home made food (and like to cook too :) ). Have done that since a small girl. My mother has been my ''teacher'' plus I like to test new recipes. Salads & berries from our own garden. Mushrooms from the forests, fishes from the nearest lakes etc.

I also like to watch cook TV shows, to learn and to get new ideas.

My favorites are these 2 Swedish TV chefs:

http://luxuryexperience.com/images/stories/Gastronomy/TinaNord/a_gast_tina_nordstrom_and_swedish_meatba lls.jpg https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7qVJTT0uE3Y/UP5vQj6641I/AAAAAAAAJLU/-Yj7GPEZIdM/s640/15078751.jpg

And I also I like them (Finns) TV-chefs shows.
https://aller-seiska-prod-cdn.seiska.fi/files/styles/article_page_image_770px_wide/s3/styles/web/morsian_takka_625.jpg?itok=NxVmvRr9

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BdpZPVLXHcU/T6D_0NLBF9I/AAAAAAAAbV4/APwO4xpJgFI/s1600/936full-sara-la-fountain%5B1%5D.jpg
(She is actually just half Finn .... and half American French ... but living in Finland).

World famous Jamie Oliver is ok, but I don't like much of Gordon Ramsay's TV shows. Much too much F-words & all kinds of drama ... those are directly made for USA's tv watchers.

Finnish Swede
Saturday, June 9th, 2018, 07:13 PM
Today I cooked sautéed reindeer:

http://seiloscafe.fi/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/poronk-12.jpg

Elizabeth
Sunday, June 10th, 2018, 03:24 AM
I like how my wife cooks meals at home. I prefer them to food at restaurants. I find that I disagree with recipe ideas in public far too often. For instance, seasoning might be good, but dressing could be gross. I don't buy mayonnaise, but while I like fast food, so many sandwiches come with it. I also heavily disagree with fusion cuisine, with people thinking chili peppers belong in everything.

I don't like mayonnaise either. When you're at a fast food place ask them to hold the mayo or say "no mayo please" and they will leave off the mayo most of the time. I have to check my sandwiches to make sure there is no mayo. I haven't tried this at every fast food place, only Wendy's and Burger King. And if you don't want onions say no onions when placing the order. I'm fussy. I don't want mayo, cheese, or onions. Sometimes I'll eat onions on a burger. If you want extra of something ask for extra when you order. Say "no mayo and extra lettuce please". Or tomato. Or pickles. Depending on what comes with it. And they'll do it.

I do cook at home, but I'm not very good at it. Tonight I cooked steak but I burned it and it came out too tough. I ate some of it and then gave up and ate potato chips. Cape Cod Kettle Cooked Sweet Mesquite BBQ potato chips.

Siebenbürgerin
Sunday, June 10th, 2018, 05:11 AM
I also prefer to prepare and cook my own food than restaurant food. This way I can use my own, preferred ingredients and meal combinations. I do enjoy some restaurants which serve traditional food, however they are losing ground as opposed to franchise chains. The food in most of those chains is very artificial, especially the vegetables and fruits. I dislike some of the frozen or ready-made foods, like frozen fries, drenched in oil wich has been used 100 times. I prefer to buy potatoes, peel and cut them and then boil them, cook them in the oven or fry them. Same with mashed potatoes, I make them raw from the potato, not from some powder.

I'm also not a fan of mayonnaise, unless it's the home made kind, and light. If I buy sandwiches, I also tell them specifically no mayo. There are a few small shops which make sandwiches from scratch, you tell them which ingredients you want. Those are better than fast food. Sometimes small markets will also make a sandwich for you if you ask them to.

Finnish Swede
Sunday, June 10th, 2018, 10:14 AM
As a student I don't have too much money .... so I don't eat real restaurants (which is costly here).

What comes to fast food restaurants ... I don't like kebabs or burgers. Some pizzas or sandwiches (Subway) are fine if you don't eat those too often. Same with Chinese restaurants. (I love smørrebrøds).

Some weekends (mainly at winter times ... if the weather is really bad => boring time) I have also cooked together with some of friends. Everybody has brought something, and then we have made dinner together. Funny, tasty & cheap (even wine incl.)

Plus I have baked since a small girl.