PDA

View Full Version : Palletts Buildings for Livestock Cheap and Easy

MountainGuardian
Friday, March 18th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I raise goats, sheep and chickens here, and I looked for a long time for an affordable ...and "easy" way to build buildings for them..

I finally found it in the form of palletts, I get them for free other than the fuel to pick them up and they are great for building with.

I can build a 10 foot by 10 foot building in just over 1/2 day for about $50 in materials. I have also used this method to build greenhouses, storage buildings and what not.

I pick up palletts in nearby towns usually about 50 to 100 at a time with either my dumptruck or one of my trucks and a 15 ft trailer.

I then sort them and set aside those of the same size, the most common size is 3 ft 4 inches wide by 4 feet long.

I then set the 3ft 4 inch wide by 4 ft long palletts end to end so that they are now 8 ft, I then nail a rough cut 1x4 to each side of them from top to bottom. Voila one 8 ft tall by 3ft 5inch wide wall panel ready to go.

For a ten foot by ten foot building I use 34 palletts put together in this fashion to form all four walls, this also leaves a 3 foot open center in the wall that will contain the door.

For me I use open dirt floor in these buildings, but on my storage buildings I have built a pallett floor covered with old sideing tin to place the walls on.

When I put these together I place the front and back walls ( I define as the ones with roof peaks ) inside the outer walls when I attach together. By placing them this way I am able to use palletts for the roof as well.

Once I have the walls up I nail a piece of rough 1x4 inch atop all the walls. This gives a good flat srface to attach the roof panels to on the wall.

On the front and back walls I lay out palletts on the ground side by side and mark them for the roof peak and cut them to that shape and then attach them to tje tops of the front and back walls.

After the front and back roof peaks are in place I get a small log 6 to 10 inches diameter and use it as a ridgepole from peak to peak. I rough cut the log to have the approximate angle of the two roof lines coming together at the top, I just use a chainsaw for this.

After the ridge pole is in place I measure the length my roof panels need to be and build my panels to that length, cutting excess pallett length off with a chainsaw.

I usually put the roof panels on by myself, but that is no small feat, I would advise getting help... two palletts attached together with extra wood added, 8 ft in the air is quite a challenge....

When I have the basic walls and roof in place I then cover with old salvage tin and build a door usually from pallett material...

A very cheap and quick way to make livestock housing, that will literally last decades, beings most pallett wood is hardwood and treated to resist weathering...

I have also found palletts very handy for fencing goats, I have two different ways that I do it.

One way is that I drill holes through the side of the palletts and bolt them together, this is a bit time consuming to put together and take apart later on.

The other I do it is I use metal fence posts and pound them in, I use metal post per pallett, I slide the pallett over the metal post one side of the pallett and use bailing wire to attach it to the next pallett which also has one metal post in it. This will make a fence very very quickly and it also comes down just as quickly and can be moved very easily.

Hope this may help someone....

Northumbria
Friday, January 6th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Yeah, someone I know just thought they'd buy some ducks one day without having anywhere to put them.
They ended up on my land and all I had was a few pallets so I knocked a little shelter together. I did a good job - a roof, door, floor and sealed any gaps and felted a roof and put it on breeze blocks. I made a little coop in effect.

Don't worry, you're not the only one. ;) They make good structures for something which would otherwise go to waste,