PDA

View Full Version : Do You Know the Meaning of Your Name?

MountainGuardian
Monday, March 14th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I was born........

Roy------ King

Edward---Wealthy Guardian

Long-----Long

My name was changed when I was adopted to

Edward--Wealthy Guardian

John----Gods mercy

Ortman-arbitrator/judge(German) / of a beutiful place(Hebrew)

I find names and there meanings to be fascinating...
I took my geneology and researched the meaning of every name... quite interesting.... though when you get a ways back every one is named William gets less interesting there... lol

My father is..... Roy Sherman Long
meaning King, Clothcutter, Long

Grandpa was Roy, Orville Long
meaning King, golden city, Long

What was very interesting was my geneology is laid out in order of birth.... you can read the meanings in order like a story... I thought it cool anyway...

Feel free to join in and put in your name meanings... I would interested in reading that...

Hersir
Monday, March 14th, 2011, 10:52 PM
The norse version of my name is Eyvindr, which means island warrior or happy warrior. You may know the name from Windir.
In proto-germanic it is AujawinduR. My lastname is from the farm where my mom grew up in northern Norway.

All my family has norse names.

Granraude
Monday, March 14th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Well, my name means:

Protector of mankind, hill, valley and forest =P

Greek/latin first name, Norwegian middle name, and Norwegian/Swedish last name.

Angus
Tuesday, March 15th, 2011, 12:07 AM
For my first name, i was named after a Danish king. The name means "Follower of christ" Kind of funny how that turned out, eh? ;)

My last name really doesnt have any meaning as far as i know, but its Scoto-Norman.

Sybren
Tuesday, March 15th, 2011, 12:51 AM
My first name (Sybren) is a Germanic name meaning "Sword of Victory".

My second name (that everyone is calling me) is also a Germanic name meaning "strong as a boar".

Thank god my parents gave me traditional Germanic Frisian names instead of one of those horrible new age meaningless names. :)

Oslaf
Tuesday, March 15th, 2011, 02:25 AM
My first name means "blood river" or "from the dark water". Can you guess it?

Wychaert
Tuesday, March 15th, 2011, 08:22 AM
My name is a true germanic name, Its a frisian name, although I,m not frisian, I like my name.

The meaning of my name is A version of the name "Sigitet" That stands for the joy of victory.

Thusnelda
Tuesday, March 15th, 2011, 12:55 PM
My first name is "Julia", it´s of Latin origin, and the meaning of Julia is "youthful; Jove's child" or "of the gender of Julians".

My surname is local Bavarian and indicates the small village where a part of my family comes from. :) So it´s a very unique surname and there´s only one village on earth with the title of my surname. And we´re still living in the same county from where my family name is coming from. That´s the reason why I can´t tell my surname to the public: If I did so, people would instantly know where we are coming from and could spy out where we live.

(An example, similar to case of my own surname: Given the surname is "Riedenberger", it would mean that the family comes from "Riedenberg")

Stormraaf
Tuesday, March 15th, 2011, 01:17 PM
My first name is also of Latin origin (unfortunately), and its etymology uninteresting: a demonym derived from the name of an Etruscan city (the toponymy of which is apparently disputed, but it could mean water/sea).

Sigurd
Wednesday, March 16th, 2011, 09:08 AM
My first name is "Julia", it´s of Latin origin, and the meaning of Julia is "youthful; Jove's child" or "of the gender of Julians".

+n and you have my first name. ;)

Though I usually insist on being named after Emperor Julianus, who - as we all know - attempted briefly to re-establish belief in the old gods in the Roman Empire and outlawed Christianity again. Makes me feel better about having a Roman name than to assume I was named after a dictator that went so power-hungry that he was stabbed by his close aides and confidantes. :P

My surname is a name typical for where my mother comes from, that being the Pinzgau area of Salzburg. It's less common in central Tyrol, even though the first people with that name were recorded in the Brixenthal valley, Tyrol, near the Salzburg border (hence, why it is mentioned in Finsterwalder's Tiroler Namenskunde).

Here, everyone has a habit of misspelling it, where my mother hails from however everyone simply asks: "With one /n/ or a double /n/" and then seek to establish whether you're related to them. There's been several meanings suggested, and it means either "he who dwells at the shelter-giving tree" or "he who is a lord protectioner". Given traditional South/Middle Bavarian surnaming, the former is more likely. :)

Why do I have my mother's surname? Well, my father took a double name when they married, allowing my mother's name to pass on to me, feeling that it was more unique if I had that surname than the surname of Gruber - that being the second most common, and most common name with a single spelling in Austria. :P

My surname is local Bavarian and indicates the small village where a part of my family comes from. :)

Before anyone tries, it's not Stallwanger or Oberviechtacher, not Untergschwanter and most certainly not Gscheidbühler. If she means small, that means small, and indicates a wee place so tiny you couldn't even call it a hamlet. We're talking farm + couple of houses + forest. ;)

Thusnelda
Wednesday, March 16th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Before anyone tries, it's not Stallwanger or Oberviechtacher, not Untergschwanter and most certainly not Gscheidbühler. If she means small, that means small, and indicates a wee place so tiny you couldn't even call it a hamlet. We're talking farm + couple of houses + forest. ;)
And damn proud of it! :P Rural all the way!

Even smaller than http://www.arnetrautmann.de/blog/archives/hadez_einoede.jpg or http://www.geo-reisecommunity.de/bild/regular/77189/AEussere-Einoede.jpg :D

Wittmann
Thursday, March 17th, 2011, 08:34 AM
My name means fear.... and noose. Yes, my parents did love me! :D

Steinbrugge
Thursday, March 17th, 2011, 09:10 AM
1st name means "battle worthy" and its origins are from the Breton language.
last name means "dweller by the stone bridge" and its origins are German

Morke Herulf
Tuesday, March 29th, 2011, 01:00 AM
My name, Melanie comes from Greek and means ''dark or dark skinned''. Funny for I am not dark skinned at all, I have the complexion to be in vampire movies. Dark as in dark minded is a lot more accurate in my case, as I am a dark romanticist and Goth girl at heart and enjoy this lifestyle.

TXRog
Tuesday, March 29th, 2011, 05:15 AM
Roger is primarily a common first name of English, French and Catalan usage, ("Rogier", "Rutger" in Dutch) from the Germanic elements hrod (fame) and ger (spear) meaning "famous with the spear". The Latin form of the name is Rogerius, as used by a few medieval figures.

The name Roger was transmitted to England by the Normans after the Norman Conquest along with other names such as William, Robert, Richard, and Hugh. It replaced its Anglo-Saxon cognate, Hroðgar. The variant Rosser comes from a Welsh derivation of the Old Norse Rhosier meaning “renown for his sword” (or spear) and first introduced to Wales via the Norman Invasion.
The following forenames are related to the English forename Roger:

* Catalan: Roger
* Dutch: Rutger or Rogier
* French: Roger (and female counterpart Rogère)
* Galician: Roxelio
* German: Rüdiger, Rutger, Ruetger, Rudgar, Ruotger, Routger,
Rotger, Rötger
* Icelandic: Hróar (pronounced "Roar"), Hróðgeir (pronounced
"Hrothgar")
* Italian: Ruggero, Roggero, Ruggeri, Ruggiero, Rugiero
* Latin: Rogerius
* Norwegian: Roar, Roger
* Polish: Roger
* Portuguese: Rogério
* Spanish: Roger
* Swedish: Roar, Roger, Rutger, Rodhger[citation needed]
* Welsh: Rosser, Rozier
* Cypriot Greek: Ρογήρος - Rogéros

Although the name Roger was the name of several historical figures, the ones that I am especially proud to share the name with are these 2 famous Rogers:

Roger I of Sicily, Norman ruler of Sicily
Roger II of Sicily, Norman ruler of Sicily

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger

My surname is of German origin and means "father of light".

TheVinson
Tuesday, March 29th, 2011, 06:12 AM
*Kenneth*
It is of Irish and Gaelic origin, and the meaning of Kenneth is "fire born; good-looking".

Zimobog
Wednesday, March 30th, 2011, 01:12 AM
My father's first ancestor to arrive bearing our family name was Magnus Gervace Ridlon, a Hebridean. His name middle Gervace ment "spear servant" and the last name as recorded as Ridlon may have originated as the Germanic Riedlin or Rudlin. Any help on the meanings of either of them? Are they just alternate spellings of Rudolph as the internet suggests?

My own first name is the Celtic version of Slavic Ivan or of the Hebrew John.

My middle name is that of the patron saint of a green certain island near by.:)

Mrs vonTrep
Thursday, April 14th, 2011, 01:40 PM
My name is Baboushka, it means "small car" in Korean.

Sigurd
Thursday, April 14th, 2011, 01:50 PM
My name is Baboushka, it means "small car" in Korean.

Korean knows no such sound combinations, however the Russian word Бабушка is used both to refer to a head-scarf worn by the countryfolk and to a grandmother/grandmotherly woman, itself a diminutive form of Баба which means "peasant woman". :)

Mööv
Thursday, April 14th, 2011, 02:08 PM
First name...

Etymologically, the name is derived from the Greek "Αλέξανδρος" (Aléxandros), meaning "defending men" [1] or "protector of men", a compound of the verb "ἀλέξω" (alexō), "to ward off, to avert, to defend"[2] and the noun "ἀνδρός" (andros), genitive of "ἀνήρ" (anēr), "man".[3] It is an example of the widespread motif of Greek (or Indo-European more generally) names expressing "battle-prowess", in this case the ability to withstand or push back an enemy battle line.

As for my last name... I have no idea what it means... tried figuring out but nothing concrete... different sources say different stuff, and some say nothing... anyway... largest concentration of it (and probably its origin) is in Bavaria... Nürnberg, Bamberg, and that area (Franconia)

Permafrost
Thursday, April 14th, 2011, 02:22 PM
First name :

The name Vincent comes from latin Vincentius («who overcomes, who conquers»).

Linden
Thursday, April 14th, 2011, 02:37 PM
My given name is Edward, which means 'prosperous guardian'. My surname was apparently introduced into England by the Normans and is comprised of Germanic elements which translate to 'rule army'.

Katharina
Friday, June 9th, 2017, 09:32 PM
I have two given names, the first is the one I'm using here. I was named Katharina after my Grandmother and the Saint.

The name originated from the Greek Αἰκατερίνα or Αἰκατερίνη (Aikaterina, Aikaterinē), which is of unknown etymology. The earliest known use of the Greek name is in reference to Saint Catherine of Alexandria. In the early Christian era, it came to be associated with the Greek adjective καθαρός (katharos), meaning "pure"The other one is Hildegard, chosen by my Grandmother.

The female name Hildegard derived from the Old High German words hild (=war or battle) and gard (=protection) and means "protecting battle-maid".[1][2]My Last Name is a local Bavarian Surname.

SpearBrave
Saturday, June 10th, 2017, 04:10 AM
My name means me. It is a Germanic name all the way, out of all my siblings I have the only non-Christian forename. :thumbup

Though most people around here call me by a nick name, which I really don't like, but got tired of fighting and most of time I accept it. It is only my good friends call me real name or my siblings. It is funny sometimes when people try and pronounce my first and last name in English. Only relatives and Germans say my surname correctly.

North Vinlander
Saturday, June 10th, 2017, 06:45 AM
Matthew: Gift of God.

Modie
Saturday, June 10th, 2017, 12:11 PM
Russell: of French origin meaning "red-haired".

Wulfaz
Sunday, June 11th, 2017, 12:49 PM
My name is "Brave King". My surname is a local Swabian one.

Georgia
Friday, June 16th, 2017, 02:51 PM
First: Advisor, unique. Patron saint of women and mothers.

Middle: Spear of Strength