PDA

View Full Version : Does Any of You Have Experience with the DNA Ancestry Project?

Atavist
Monday, February 28th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Hello folks of Skadi.
For a long time I have been meaning to have my ancestry tested out with both Y-DNA and Mitochondrial DNA testing.
The reason is that I know my great-grandfather was a Portuguese sailor who knocked up my great-grandmother while being in Denmark for some reason. (Not the part of my family's history I'm most proud of). Since I know that a huge percentage of the Portuguese are racially mixed because of miscegenation with their negro slaves back when Portugal was a white superpower both colonial and culturally I'm worried that I might have some negro in me. If that is the case, I have to find out before I have children.
I've been looking at sites like 23-and-me, but I coincidentally came across the "DNA Ancestry Project".
They offer a Y-DNA 44 Marker + mtDNA HVR-1 Test for 318 US$. It's a bit pricey, but they seem specialized in the area.

So my question is: Does any of you have any experience with the DNA Ancestry Project or any other ancestry testings, and do you have any advice for a rookie like me?

Thanks a lot!

Norrøn
Monday, February 28th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Im a rookie aswell, but interested in the subject. I ended up buying a pack from national geographic's genographic project. Shipping and testing costs me 99$.

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/participate.html

Hammer of Thor
Monday, February 28th, 2011, 06:10 PM
If you want to see if you have any foreign admixture (especially within the last 5 generations) then 23andme is the way to go.

The other tests that were mentioned only test your paternal line (y-dna, which comes from your father, which came from his father, etc.) and maternal line (mtdna, which comes from your mother, which she got from her mother, so on). Paternal and maternal lineage tests only show a very small percentage of your overall ancestry and are not necessarily the best indicators of overall ancestry since they exclude many of the ancestors which contributed genetic information.

By the way, 23andme not only tests the clients autosomal dna, but also the maternal and paternal lines, so I think it is a much better deal overall.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions let me know and I will try my best to help answer them.

Hammer of Thor