PDA

View Full Version : Catholic Church Issues Guide on How to Convert Witches

Nachtengel
Monday, February 7th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Five hundred years ago, the Catholic Church had a simple way of dealing with witches: It burned them alive. The Vatican still views these broom botherers as a danger, but is now calling on Catholics to eliminate the neo-pagan problem in a more moderate manner.

According to a new booklet from the Catholic Truth Society — the U.K. publishers for the Holy See — the faithful can convert Wiccans by following a few simple steps. The pamphlet, titled “Wicca and Witchcraft: Understanding the Dangers,” suggests that Catholics spark up conversations with these unbelievers about shared concerns such as the environment, The Telegraph reports.

Aol News

http://www.odinistpressservice.com/2011/02/04/catholic-church-issues-guide-on-how-to-convert-witches/

Nordlicht
Monday, February 7th, 2011, 01:43 AM
Witches practicing until today. So the Catholic Church denied.... ;)

Alice
Wednesday, March 6th, 2019, 04:35 PM
The Odinist Press Services website appears to be defunct, but apparently Elizabeth Dodd's book Wicca & Witchcraft: Understanding the Dangers caused a small degree of controversy a few years back. I had to chuckle at The Daily Mail headline "How to cure a witch: Catholic Church issues guide in Britain to turn the tables on Harry Potter. (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1353517/Catholic-Church-issues-guide-convert-Harry-Potter-witches-Christianity.html?ito=feeds-newsxml) " ;)

I'm familiar with the Catholic Truth Society, Publishers to the Holy See, but I haven't read Dodd's book. Here is an interview with Elizabeth Dodd:

Here at CTS, we recently received this anonymous comment about our booklet on Wicca and Witchcraft.

“I’m Wiccan. I’m not bad. I have no supernatural powers and I am not socially accepted. I love my religion, just like you love yours.

“Books like you are publishing are part of the biggest problem with the world. They’re HATE books. Please stop. Please find tolerance for others and love. You wouldn’t publish a book on the dangers of Islam.”

We asked the author, Elizabeth Dodd, to respond. We hope CTS Catholic Compass can be a space where dialogue and clarification can take place.

Here is what she wrote:

“Thank you for your comment. I’m sorry that you took a message of hate away from the booklet – that wasn’t my intention.

“I can understand why a discussion of ‘the dangers’ of Wicca might seem persecutory. But Wicca is a potentially dangerous religion – I’m sure many Wiccans would agree. The threefold law implies danger – cast a negative spell and three times’ the negativity comes back to you.

Good News
“For CTS to publish a booklet on witchcraft is a positive thing for Wiccans. It’s a starting point for dialogue.

“Crucially, this is a book written for a Catholic audience. That a Catholic would want to evangelise a Wiccan should come as no surprise – but evangelisation doesn’t mean forced conversion – it comes from the Greek word εὐαγγέλιον, which means to give a good message.

“For a Catholic, that good news encompasses everything: it’s knowing that we have been created in the image of a loving God who became a man and gave literally everything up for us, and who continually makes that incredible sacrifice in the Mass.

“Sharing this message can be done in all sorts of way but it cannot be done with hate.

Sharing answers
“From my research, Wiccans are frequently young people. Sometimes it feels like that’s a demographic the Church is missing. Young people are spiritually hungry, and carry the burdens of a globalisation that means we have a moral responsibility as regards our coffee, our carbon emissions and our cosmetics.

“I wrote this book because I found, over the course of my conversion to Catholicism, that those concerns are answered in a very deep way by the Church, and that was something I wanted to share with Wiccans and Catholics alike.

“In the book I emphasise that Wicca is not Satanic, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t other dangers that Catholics, and Wiccans, have a responsibility to think about.”

NB. We have also published a booklet on Islam from a catholic perspective, which talks about the differences and similarities between the two faiths.

http://ctscatholiccompass.org/wicca-author-answers-her-critics/ (http://ctscatholiccompass.org/wicca-author-answers-her-critics/)