PDA

View Full Version : Tracing My Grandfathers Military History

Meister
Monday, January 10th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Firstly, I hope I am posting in the right place.

My grandfather served in the Luftwaffe during WW2, I am wondering if there is any way I could find out which unit he served in, theatres etc.

any help would be appreciated.

hyidi
Monday, January 10th, 2011, 12:43 PM
How come you don't know you're own grandfathers luftwaffe unit?
If he told you he was in the luftwaffe,how come he never told you the name of his unit and ect..? Sorry just confussed I am.

There is military forums they might able to help you; if memebrs here can't help you;)
If I was you; I would go and try Axis military forum,they dicuss all German military wwII.

flâneur
Monday, January 10th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Firstly, I hope I am posting in the right place.

My grandfather served in the Luftwaffe during WW2, I am wondering if there is any way I could find out which unit he served in, theatres etc.

any help would be appreciated.

Try this forum and ask some of the boffins on there.They are very sharp.

http://forum.axishistory.com/

hyidi
Monday, January 10th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Hey,me and you had the same idea!
What username are you under?

flâneur
Monday, January 10th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Im not actually registered there to be honest,i like browsing through the photos though.

Meister
Monday, January 10th, 2011, 01:07 PM
How come you don't know you're own grandfathers luftwaffe unit?
If he told you he was in the luftwaffe,how come he never told you the name of his unit and ect..? Sorry just confussed I am.

There is military forums they might able to help you; if memebrs here can't help you;)
If I was you; I would go and try Axis military forum,they dicuss all German military wwII.

I never met him, my father only had one photo of him standing in front of his bomber with the crew. He didn't talk to my dad much about the war.

Wychaert
Monday, January 10th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Did you know what kind of bomber the plane was? Do you still have that picture?

flâneur
Monday, January 10th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I never met him, my father only had one photo of him standing in front of his bomber with the crew. He didn't talk to my dad much about the war.

If you still have the photo get onto the boys in that forum i gave you the link to.

Not only will they be able to tell you what type of bomber it was,but also what squadren...where the photo was taken and probably the crews names...probably even the seriel number of the engines...thats how good they are.

Meister
Tuesday, January 11th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Did you know what kind of bomber the plane was? Do you still have that picture?

My dad showed it to me in the 80's, it was a bomber, it was the only photo he had of him. I lost contact with him and I don't have it.

Juthunge
Tuesday, January 11th, 2011, 04:23 PM
http://www.dd-wast.de/frame_e.htm

"In accordence with the administrative scale of charges replies of all requests which do not have a legal basis are subjekt to a minimum fee of 8,00 € per page commenced; photocopies € 0,50 each. Estimated costs for drawing up the military career come to approximately € 20,00 per searched person. For reason of data protection replies can only be send by regular postal service. In addition we would like to point out that processing can take up to 12 month. We do not confirm the receipt of incomming mail. With your application you express your agreement to cover any costs that may arrive as necessary. Replies are generally kept in german language."

I'm not sure whether this only works for persons who are KIA or also for those who survived the war. Additionally you have to have some information about your grandfather, I don't think his name suffices. I'd give it a try though.

Might be helpful too:
"Für Auskünfte aus den Personalakten der Offiziere und Beamten der Wehrmacht wenden Sie sich bitte an: Bundesarchiv-Militärarchiv Wiesentalstraße 1079115 Freiburg/Brsg. E-mail: militaerarchiv@barch.bund.de"
Only for officers and clerks though.

Wychaert
Tuesday, January 11th, 2011, 10:41 PM
My dad showed it to me in the 80's, it was a bomber, it was the only photo he had of him. I lost contact with him and I don't have it.

Too bad..

I still looking for information from the brother of my grandma, but its very diffficult searching for it.
All I know is that his schip was bombed by the Japanese, and that is sunk somwhere in the Dutch-Indien(Indonesian) sea's..