PDA

View Full Version : 23andMe Christmas Sale

Magni
Thursday, December 16th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Posted in this thread by Flemish...

http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=93555&page=15 :thumbup

But I thought it deserved its own thread because it is a big reduction from $499 to $99 so a lot of fence sitters might hop on this deal.

I think I am about to jump on it.

Anyone have anything bad to say about 23andMe or are most folks happy with them?

BroBro
Thursday, December 16th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I plan on getting it too, I live in the Netherlands so it is international shipping.

You do know you need a one year subscription at 5.00 a month on the one year deal?

Magni
Thursday, December 16th, 2010, 08:27 AM
I read that, yes. That is to get continuing updates though. If you do not care about getting updates you do not need the subscription. I think the subscription sounds like a good deal though.

I am not only interested in the ancestry aspect though. Since I have a daughter I think it would be good for me and my wife to get one done and be informed about what sort of possible health complications may exist and what sort of preventative health measures to take, if possible.

But yeah, I am interested in the ancestry aspect a lot though. I am almost 100% sure my subclade will be R1b1b2 though. There is a DNA project for my surname and every single person that has participated has had that subclade.

$99 seems like a good deal.

Edit: I am not sure how this works really. If my wife gets this done should she have her brother do it instead of doing it herself?

Hersir
Saturday, December 18th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Looks good, I'll get it.

flemish
Sunday, December 19th, 2010, 10:18 AM
There's a company out there called DNA by Ancestry. Does anyone recommend that company? From what I've read, its DNA analyses aren't as comprehensive as 23 and Me's. There was an article in some major paper here in the U.S. that said genetic tests like the one offered by 23 and Me, which are supposed to assess your susceptibility to certain genetic diseases, aren't reliable.
Now, I do like the fact that 23 and Me will break down your genetic ancestry into percentages, and, as far as I know, will determine your mitochondrial DNA haplogroup and the one your Y chromosome belongs to(if your male). Someone asked if their wife should order a DNA test for herself or her brother. The only thing her brother's DNA test can tell her is which genetic haplogroup founder left his DNA signature in the make up of the men of her family. Other than that, her genetic make up is uniquely hers. You don't share most of your DNA with your siblings.

flemish
Monday, December 20th, 2010, 03:53 AM
So, has anyone used Ancestry by DNA?

Nightwriter
Thursday, December 23rd, 2010, 05:01 AM
Really? I have to check on this (the 23 and me price reduction). I do know that one of the 23 and me partners has Parkinson's and is seeking info on anyone else who carries the gene.

I stepped out of my budget and paid for FTDNA's Family Finder and "Mito" test #1 last month. Bad timing with the bucks! Anyway, I still haven't received any results yet.

With Ancestry's two-week free search promotion and Ellis Island's FREE site, I did gain some more significant family tree knowledge, but am stuck at my adopted Mom's biological father. Her half-brothers are long gone and her half-sister is steadfast about their different fathers (she appeared with the news a year ago ). I am hoping that these tests can help me find my mother's father's gene pool without spending too much. After that shock to her old heart, I'd like to surprise her someday with the facts about her father's side. Other than that, I've got a German/UK/Swiss background, apparently (as far as we know today).

I would like to know if any female adoptees have had any luck with the mito and autosomal tests available with any of the DNA Labs, or if it was a waste of money. It seems following the Y-chromosone is cheaper and a very effective device to determine paternity but I have no brothers or even male cousins to ask. I'm not so interested in finding distant relatives, but our true ancestry.

Magni
Monday, December 27th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Got my package in the mail yesterday. It takes a lot more spit than I thought it would. Like 5 minutes of building up and spitting.

I am hoping for no surprises, or only good surprises anyhow. I have been doing a lot of genealogy work recently too. My grandmother always told me that I had some Amerindian ancestry but I chalk that up to a lot of Americans saying that because they think it is cool or whatever. If I got a touch in me I ain't going to cry over it though but I will be surprised if I actually do.

Magni
Monday, December 27th, 2010, 02:11 PM
There's a company out there called DNA by Ancestry. Does anyone recommend that company? From what I've read, its DNA analyses aren't as comprehensive as 23 and Me's. There was an article in some major paper here in the U.S. that said genetic tests like the one offered by 23 and Me, which are supposed to assess your susceptibility to certain genetic diseases, aren't reliable.
Now, I do like the fact that 23 and Me will break down your genetic ancestry into percentages, and, as far as I know, will determine your mitochondrial DNA haplogroup and the one your Y chromosome belongs to(if your male). Someone asked if their wife should order a DNA test for herself or her brother. The only thing her brother's DNA test can tell her is which genetic haplogroup founder left his DNA signature in the make up of the men of her family. Other than that, her genetic make up is uniquely hers. You don't share most of your DNA with your siblings.

From what I have read the health information can be questionable because they simply do not really know enough about it yet but the ancestry stuff is accurate, which is what I am mostly interested in.

Wynterwade
Tuesday, December 28th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the information. I also couldn't resist the major price reduction.

Wynterwade
Tuesday, January 11th, 2011, 04:39 PM
This is such a slow process- do any of you know how long it takes to complete the process during the sale?

I've mailed my DNA off about 1 and a half weeks ago and I faintly remember reading that it takes something like 2-4 weeks to process but I cannot find that now. Because of the massive sale I imagine the wait will be much longer than usual- maybe 4 weeks?

Hammer of Thor
Tuesday, January 11th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Wynterwade,

The card included with the test (in the box) states 2-4 weeks, but the website indicates 6-8 weeks.

I emailed 23andme about this and they stated that the increased time frame was a result of the massive amount of orders they had received.

They have had my test for over about 5 weeks now and I am looking forward to the results with great anticipation.

Hammer of Thor

Naglfari
Tuesday, January 11th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Wynterwade,

The card included with the test (in the box) states 2-4 weeks, but the website indicates 6-8 weeks.

I emailed 23andme about this and they stated that the increased time frame was a result of the massive amount of orders they had received.

They have had my test for over about 5 weeks now and I am looking forward to the results with great anticipation.

Hammer of Thor

There was a post on the 23andme forums that they are holding back releasing the results until February for quality control of the new test. So expect to start seeing results then. They also do it in order received with the earliest orders reported to have arrived Dec 1 so you can extrapolate from there.

Naglfari
Thursday, January 20th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Results will start being sent out tomorrow. They do it first come first serve so if you got your kits in beginning of December you should get your results very soon.

https://www.23andme.com/you/community/thread/5772/

Hammer of Thor
Tuesday, January 25th, 2011, 04:44 AM
I recieved my 23andme results today. I am 100% European with closest similarity to Northern Europeans. I also clustered in the German section under the Global Similarity. Needless to say, I am very excited.

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx278/WPCR14/Capture2.jpg
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx278/WPCR14/Capture.jpg

Hammer of Thor

Heinrich Harrer
Tuesday, January 25th, 2011, 04:58 AM
I'm curious, is there more information about what 'european' constitues in this statistic? Is it stricter than say what 'caucasian' means in the US? The european blue on the map seems to include even India, but these overlapping regions would probably just result in a mixed asian-european result? Still, couldn't one have some indian traces which came from the part that is classified as the european-indian-part in this test?

Now we only need some sort of social websites which include such information and a procedure to certify that the test results are legitimate for a given person to preserve our european heritage in our increasingly mixed environments. Then people can check the genetic make-up of the potential partner once they start dating.

Hammer of Thor
Tuesday, January 25th, 2011, 05:33 AM
I'm curious, is there more information about what 'european' constitues in this statistic? Is it stricter than say what 'caucasian' means in the US? The european blue on the map seems to include even India, but these overlapping regions would probably just result in a mixed asian-european result? Still, couldn't one have some indian traces which came from the part that is classified as the european-indian-part in this test?

The blue and orange overlap in places such as India, as does the blue overlap green in North Africa. It is meant to show that Indians are a mix of European and Asian in the same way that North Africans are a mixture of African and European. The orange, green, and blue overlap in various areas to show the gentic contributions of the different races in those particular areas.They have an Indian man's genetic example and there is a significant portion of Asian in his genetic makeup.

According to 23andme "Your Ancestry Painting results should be understood to mean Asia, Africa and Europe before the era of intercontinental travel, about 500 years ago." I assume that they did genotyping of different native European, Asian, and African populations to determine the Ancestry painting portion, but am unsure of the exact process.

Example of Indian Man:
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx278/WPCR14/IndianMan.jpg

Hammer of Thor

Magni
Tuesday, January 25th, 2011, 05:37 AM
I still haven't got my results but it should be soon.

Naglfari
Tuesday, January 25th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Mine didn't change at all between the old test and the newer one. I am just outside the German box, in the French and Austrian box.

Magni
Tuesday, February 8th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Results are in.

I am just outside the Irish box and German box, inside the English box and inside the French box.

My Y-DNA is I2a2b so I was wrong about what I thought it was going to be. And of course no Amerindian at all. Why do Americans make up Indian ancestry so often?

Naglfari
Thursday, February 10th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Results are in.

I am just outside the Irish box and German box, inside the English box and inside the French box.

My Y-DNA is I2a2b so I was wrong about what I thought it was going to be. And of course no Amerindian at all. Why do Americans make up Indian ancestry so often?

It seems to just be a yearning for having a culture, and modern American society has decided that ours is not worth keeping.

The Amerindians have kept alive their culture so it still has its mythology and traditions so those with Amerindian ancestry or pretend ancestry gravitate towards it.

We have thousands of years of rich history and traditions but those aren't really taught in school or passed on so our culture is seen as empty.

Oski
Friday, February 18th, 2011, 02:55 AM
I need to know how to take screen shots so I can contribute mine :)

Oski
Friday, February 18th, 2011, 04:14 AM
I visit it daily even though I know the answer is the same :pcchattin

Its very fascinating info!

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8968/image049oe.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/98/image049oe.jpg/)

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9063/image050i.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/image050i.jpg/)

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/3958/image051au.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/688/image051au.jpg/)

http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/6533/image052f.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/816/image052f.jpg/)

Wynterwade
Monday, February 28th, 2011, 12:52 AM
I finally got my results back.

I'm R1b1b2a1a1 (same as you oski). And H1a1.

^ The cool thing about that is I think my pt-DNA is from Doggerland. Which is an ancient island that went underwater possibly as recently as 5,000 BC!

The Eupedia Europa maps only "suggest" haplogroups.
A history based on supposition.
They challenge the 23andMe scientific view stated below.
The word, "suggests", is also used in 23andMe's description following. The description begins some 12,000 years ago with the Doggerlander.

Doggerland does exist but one needs diving gear to visit it.

Spread of the haplogroup eastward in the last 1,500 years must take into consideration the Viking Age (800 c.e.>) and the Ostsiedlung (east colonization) about a 1,000 years ago under the Holy Roman Empire. The Drang Nach Osten (yearning toward the east 1600's >) also contributed to eastward dispersion in the last 1,000 years.

Haplogroup R1b1b2a1a1 (23andMe comments)
"Today R1b1b2a1a1 is found mostly on the fringes of the North Sea in England, Germany and the Netherlands, where it reaches levels of one-third. That distribution suggests that some of the first men to bear the haplogroup in their Y-chromosomes were residents of Doggerland, a real-life Atlantis that was swallowed up by rising seas in the millennia following the Ice Age.

Doggerland was a low-lying region of forests and wetlands that must have been rich in game; today, fishing trawlers in the North Sea occasionally dredge up the bones and tusks of the mastodons that roamed there. Doggerland had its heyday between about 12,000 years ago, when the Ice Age climate began to ameliorate, and 9,000 years ago, when the meltwaters of the gradually retreating glaciers caused sea levels to rise, drowning the hunter's paradise. Doggerland's inhabitants retreated to the higher ground that is now the North Sea coast."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7e/Doggerland.svg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/Doggerbank.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggerland
^ But many people say that they don't believe doggerland lasted until the time that our pt-DNA would have appeared. So maybe it's not true.

I also scored right in the middle of Germany.
http://forums.skadi.net/photoplog/images/36788/large/1_me23andme.jpg

Hesse
Saturday, March 5th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Example of Indian Man:
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx278/WPCR14/IndianMan.jpg

I'm quite curious; is that "Indian man" sample of a DNA result that you posted for an Indian as in the native tribes of the Americas , or is it Indian as in someone native to from India, the South Asian country?

Hammer of Thor
Saturday, March 5th, 2011, 07:59 PM
The example profile is a man from India.

Sybren
Sunday, March 6th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I was wondering, does anybody here know if there is going to be another "dna day" at 23andMe this year? They did this last year somewhere in april and dropped the price to 99 dollars i believe.

Because i still think 199 dollars is a bit much, but i am willing to do it for 100 dollars or somewhere in that range.

And Hammer of Thor, which of those tests you did, do you think is best?

Naglfari
Sunday, March 6th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I was wondering, does anybody here know if there is going to be another "dna day" at 23andMe this year? They did this last year somewhere in april and dropped the price to 99 dollars i believe.

Because i still think 199 dollars is a bit much, but i am willing to do it for 100 dollars or somewhere in that range.

It is likely that they will do one again. They do every year. So around that time just keep checking their website.

I am in all 3 projects that Hammer of Thor mentioned. They are free to submit to so do them all. Dr. McDonald will give you the quickest analysis. These projects go into more detailed analysis than 23andme provides.

It is very informative they confirm that I am 100% European with no African Native American, nor Jewish at all.

Sybren
Sunday, March 6th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Thank you Naglfari.

I understand the other tests use raw testdata already aquired from for example 23andMe, is that right?

Naglfari
Monday, March 7th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Thank you Naglfari.

I understand the other tests use raw testdata already aquired from for example 23andMe, is that right?

Yep you download your raw data from 23andme and send it to them. They are doing very interesting work.

Here is info about what Eurogenes is doing: http://bga101.blogspot.com/

and DODECAD: http://dodecad.blogspot.com/

Naglfari
Monday, March 7th, 2011, 12:11 AM
I finally got my results back.

I'm R1b1b2a1a1 (same as you oski). And H1a1.

^ The cool thing about that is I think my pt-DNA is from Doggerland. Which is an ancient island that went underwater possibly as recently as 5,000 BC!

Hey Doggerland buddy!

Hesse
Monday, March 7th, 2011, 04:14 AM
I'm a little courious, because I'm seriously looking into 23andme, not that I would expect anyone would know the answer, but just how likely is it for someone who's ancestors all come from Europe (like me), to actually turn out to unknowingly have a significant percentage of African, Asian, or Jewish in the DNA result? I mean like, not European at all; if a say, German lineage turns out to be 100% Asian or middle eastern. Even if these aren't part of your ancestry as far as you know?

Is it common to expect suprising results which are not consistent with what you know about your ancestry?

Oski
Monday, March 7th, 2011, 05:42 AM
I'm a little courious, because I'm seriously looking into 23andme, not that I would expect anyone would know the answer, but just how likely is it for someone who's ancestors all come from Europe (like me), to actually turn out to unknowingly have a significant percentage of African, Asian, or Jewish in the DNA result? I mean like, not European at all; if a say, German lineage turns out to be 100% Asian or middle eastern. Even if these aren't part of your ancestry as far as you know?

Is it common to expect suprising results which are not consistent with what you know about your ancestry?

Grow a pair!

:D

I'm an american and I still took the test ;)

On another note, 23andme sure are pushing this Doggerland identity :chinrub

Hammer of Thor
Monday, March 7th, 2011, 07:30 AM

Out of the projects in which I have participated my favorite has definitely been the Eurogenes Project. I think that this particular project provides the most useful data and the administrator is by far the most friendly and informative.

Hammer of Thor

Hammer of Thor
Monday, March 7th, 2011, 07:32 AM
It is very informative they confirm that I am 100% European with no African Native American, nor Jewish at all.

You, Cadwallon, and I can all start a club!

Hammer of Thor

Hammer of Thor
Monday, March 7th, 2011, 07:39 AM

It is unlikely that a person who has only know ancestors from Europe to have a significant portion of non-European DNA (especially if those lineages come from Northwestern Europe). That being said, it is not impossible, but highly improbable.

The only way to know for certain is to have your DNA tested. I recommend doing it, but then again I find genetics fascinating.

Hammer of Thor

Naglfari
Monday, March 7th, 2011, 07:00 PM
You, Cadwallon, and I can all start a club!

Hammer of Thor

Haha yea. I guess my pious Quaker and Mennonite ancestors didn't like to mess around. :-D:

For anyone considering testing, do it because you are really interested in the health info, a genetics geek, or if you are doing family geneology. I have been able to break through some paper trail dead ends.

Testing helped me to find a German ancestor from Wurtemburg, Germany who emigrated here in the late 1600's. They had 17 kids:-O:-O:-O

Sybren
Tuesday, March 8th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Haha yea. I guess my pious Quaker and Mennonite ancestors didn't like to mess around. :-D:

For anyone considering testing, do it because you are really interested in the health info, a genetics geek, or if you are doing family geneology. I have been able to break through some paper trail dead ends.

Testing helped me to find a German ancestor from Wurtemburg, Germany who emigrated here in the late 1600's. They had 17 kids:-O:-O:-O
I am a family genealogy geek myself and of course i stumbled on a lot of dead ends. I am aware that people who have done the 23andMe test, can make contact with people who are related to them, to exchange genealogy data. But is this only possible if you take that 1 year subscription, or also without that?

By the way, i lived in the village (Witmarsum) where Menno Simonsz (founder of the Mennonites) was born, for most of my life. It's 5 miles from here.

Naglfari
Tuesday, March 8th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I am a family genealogy geek myself and of course i stumbled on a lot of dead ends. I am aware that people who have done the 23andMe test, can make contact with people who are related to them, to exchange genealogy data. But is this only possible if you take that 1 year subscription, or also without that?

By the way, i lived in the village (Witmarsum) where Menno Simonsz (founder of the Mennonites) was born, for most of my life. It's 5 miles from here.

Hey that's neat.

The 1 year subscription is mandatory and if you stop paying you won't get any new RF matches.

But you have another excellent option: http://www.familytreedna.com/landing/family-finder.aspx

They have a relatively smaller database (but still quite large) but you get actual names and email addresses for them as opposed to 23andme's anonymous matches that you have to ask for an invite and hope they respond.

No subscription and they use the same chip as 23andme does now so in the future 23andme users might be able to have their data inputed for a small fee. This should expand the database size.

Be aware that since you are from the Netherlands you might not get very many matches that aren't North Americans but they may still prove valuable as we always want to trace back to an ancestor that first came over and where they are from in Europe and there was a lot of Dutch settlement here.

Magni
Thursday, March 10th, 2011, 08:26 AM
If if you have near eastern ancestry it still counts as European as far as these test are concerned. So even if you do have a bit of the jew in you it will just show as European.

Sybren
Thursday, March 10th, 2011, 09:53 AM
If if you have near eastern ancestry it still counts as European as far as these test are concerned. So even if you do have a bit of the jew in you it will just show as European.
But then the test wouldn't show you as only Northern European.

I am getting quite impatient to order a kit, so i am looking into those promo codes. However, none of them seem to work. Does anybody know of a working one? ;)

Magni
Saturday, March 12th, 2011, 02:27 AM
I believe that April 15th will be another $99 dollar sale for DNA day.

Magni
Saturday, March 12th, 2011, 02:30 AM
But then the test wouldn't show you as only Northern European.

I am getting quite impatient to order a kit, so i am looking into those promo codes. However, none of them seem to work. Does anybody know of a working one? ;)

You're probably right about the Northern European thing. I haven't seen anyone on these board post a pic showing them to be Southern or Eastern European. lol

Oski
Saturday, March 12th, 2011, 05:31 AM
I haven't seen anyone on these board post a pic showing them to be Southern or Eastern European. lol

That is because germanics aren't southern or eastern european.

Hersir
Thursday, August 9th, 2012, 02:26 PM
They have a summer sale now, it ends on the 12th of August.

50 USD discount with the code VMQ6KG