PDA

View Full Version : Aegishjalmur, Different Forms

Bärsärkar
Tuesday, December 14th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Hey!
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum and for my bad english:|

This is my question.
I am planning to get a tattoo of Aegishjalmur. But im not sure which form i should choose!
Here are the three forms of Aegishjalmur,
http://www.gyllengran.se/site/artiklar/runor-filer/image006.jpg

The one on the left is, according to "Svenskarnas Parti" (who is a swedish political party) is the oldest form of it. But i have also seen that many people decides to tattoo the one on the right. Is it because of they think it is the nicest form, or because it is the real form?

And i wonder which one that of the form is the correct/oldest form of aegishjalmur?

Please answer as fast as you can, i really need your help! ::thumbup

Elessar
Tuesday, December 14th, 2010, 10:21 PM
On pure aesthetics, I prefer the one on the right as it's the most widely known (and looks the coolest in my opinion)
I don't think you could go "wrong" with either 3 choices, but it's ultimately up to you.

Ragnar Lodbrok
Wednesday, December 15th, 2010, 01:01 AM
I was thinking of getting that as a tattoo inbetween my shoulder blades.:thumbup

Gerulf
Friday, December 17th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I was going to get an Aegishjalmur tattoo, but I didn't want a bunch of morons asking me why I had a tattoo of a snowflake.

Sigurd
Monday, January 31st, 2011, 12:48 PM
Ægishjalmur is a very powerful sign of protection, a type of ward-rune in battle, herald invincibility and protection. However, remember its mythological context and recall that its bearer is easily blinded - therefore, let yourself not be blinded by thinking it makes you truly invincible; ask my handle's namesake. Like any other sign of considerable strength and power, to be handled with care. ;)

Sciuirse Morrigna
Monday, January 31st, 2011, 05:47 PM
Maybe try first making a pendant with it on one side? Wear it for a while before making it permanent?

Nazgoroth
Thursday, February 3rd, 2011, 08:46 PM
Hi let me introduce myself first of as i just joined.

I call myself nazgoroth, and i've been a practicing pagan for several years now, and this post actually got me to end up on this forum. "Fate perhaps". Anyway i've been looking for the complete meaning of this symbol as i actually plan to get it as my first tattoo "On my lower leg".

So if someone could explain it to me as i know some things about it's meaning, as in protection / invincibility in battle. But other then that it's all loose fragments and information.

Thanks in advance.

Nazgoroth.

Granraude
Thursday, February 3rd, 2011, 09:11 PM
Welcome ^^

I'm no expert, but as far as I know the Ægirshjelm is obviously a protective charm (Algir encircling the wearer). Traditionally painted/drawn on the forehead or helmet to grant protection in battle.

Bärsärkar
Thursday, February 3rd, 2011, 09:52 PM
Yeah i think i will do that. And i think i will choose the 'oldest' one because i dont think many people have it

Nazgoroth
Thursday, February 3rd, 2011, 10:09 PM
Yeah i think i will do that. And i think i will choose the 'oldest' one because i dont think many people have it

Well it looks like 4 algiz runes in that. So you can't exacly go wrong. Be sure to post pictures when you've gotten it done. I'm looking forward to see it.

Honor and wisdom.
Nazgoroth.

Bärsärkar
Sunday, February 6th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Yes it is true. I read something similar that the 'oldest' one is made of 4 algiz runes, and other things like circles and all that was just there to look good. But i dont remember it very well so thats just speculations!

Surely i can do that but it will take a while im not sure how long but have to decide if i want do do it and money issue and find a good tattooer! :)

Granraude
Sunday, February 6th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Welcome ^^

I'm no expert, but as far as I know the Ægirshjelm is obviously a protective charm (Algir encircling the wearer). Traditionally painted/drawn on the forehead or helmet to grant protection in battle.

I would like to quote myself =P

Also, I have been considering an Ægirshjelm as a tattoo for quite a good while now. Even brought it to my tattoo artist. It is a great symbol to use, if it's alone. Looks very out of place as part of lets say knotwork. Typical wrist/shoulder/ankle/behind ear tattoo.

OdinsfolkNZ
Saturday, March 5th, 2011, 04:44 AM
I've got an aegishjalmur inked on the inside of my right bicep. I'll get a photo of it up soon. I got it there, cause whether I throw an over hand right, or left hook, it'll be the last thing my opponent see's before he hits the canvas; really putting terror into my opponent ;)

(I fight Muay Thai and MMA, by the way)

Ulfvaldr
Saturday, March 5th, 2011, 05:14 AM
I have the one on the far right tattooed on my arm surrounded by the Elder Futhark.

Bärsärkar
Thursday, March 10th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Well it looks like 4 algiz runes in that. So you can't exacly go wrong. Be sure to post pictures when you've gotten it done. I'm looking forward to see it.

Honor and wisdom.
Nazgoroth.

Yes i thaught so to but i still wanted to be sure of if it was any differents between them. But it is gonna take long time until i get, so you have to be patient ;)

Tannhauser
Sunday, March 13th, 2011, 04:06 AM
I have a combination of the middle and the far right - only mine does not have the circle in the middle. This is on my right forearm -I box and I am right handed. I also have a Vegvisir on my left forearm. And yes some people think that they are snowflakes - the fools - but most people find them interesting nonetheless.