PDA

View Full Version : Y-DNA Test Results Solve Mystery

MichaelOH
Sunday, December 12th, 2010, 07:32 PM
My ancestor to America John O'Haren, anglicized O'Hearn, was from West County Clare, Ireland, son of Daniel Haren. The name also appears in early immigration and civil documents as O'Harran, O'Haran, Haran and Harn. This is an old surname in County Galway, and today is common in Connacht in Counties Mayo and Sligo, and in Fermanagh. The name in Irish is ” hEagrŠin which is of the same derivation as ” hEaghra or O'Hara of Sligo and Mayo.;)

I have discovered another Y test result for a form of the name in Sligo, and this came up as I2a. This type is found in Western Europe, particularly in Scotland and Ireland. The distinguishing characteristic mutation for this type in Connacht is M253 which is also prevalent in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and northern Germany.

My Y-DNA is Irish Type III of R1b type.

My conclusion is that the I2a type is typical for this family group in Ireland because this is a surname isolate not found in the ancient Irish genealogies. It is my belief that the name originated from Arn meaning "eagle", possibly the name of a 10th century Viking settler who married an Irish lass in west Galway, and the family then migrated north and south both by land and sea.:-O

MichaelOH
Tuesday, December 14th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Well, it turns out that the particular mutation characteristic of haplogroup I in Connacht and also numerous in Scandinavia is for type I1 and not I2a of the Y-DNA test result, so that there is no reason to assume that there is Viking ancestry. This brings me to my default theory that O'Haren is indigenously Irish, and because of the same surname derivation as O'Hara apparently by imitation and not descent, it leads me to conclude that the derivation is with the tribe of Corca FirthrŪ, one of the three tribes of Luigne in Sligo, the others being O'Hara and O'Gara.:thumbup