PDA

View Full Version : Help on the Origin of a Name!

bęny
Thursday, December 2nd, 2010, 07:26 PM
Hi, can anyone help me figure out the origin of the (family) name 'Vansberg' (not sure if there are meant to be any accents on the letters as of yet), I've been trying to research it myself but not got too far, it seems to be pointing towards being Scandinavian though?
Also, sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. :).

Ęmeric
Thursday, December 2nd, 2010, 11:54 PM
The 'Van" makes me think it must be Dutch or Flemish. Originally Van Berg. I know many Dutch names consisting of Van have been ran together in America, Vanderburgh - Van der Burgh, Vanderbilt - Van der Bilt.

Žoreišar
Friday, December 3rd, 2010, 12:29 AM
There seems to be a place in Sweden called 'Lilla Vansberg' (meaning 'Little Vansberg'). The word 'berg' in modern Scandinavian languages mean 'geological formations of mountain' or a sort of "mountainous hill". 'Van' is probably referring to one of the group of gods in Norse mythology called the 'Vanir'. That way, the name of the place would mean 'the Vanir's (mountain-)hill'.

In Scandinavia, it's common to bear the name of different places and towns in your surname.

Ęmeric
Friday, December 3rd, 2010, 01:30 AM
According to World Family Names (http://worldnames.publicprofiler.org/) "Vanberg" is most common in Sogn og Fjordane, Norway & Vastmansland, Sweden. Doesn't register in the Netherlands or Flanders.

Wittmann
Friday, December 3rd, 2010, 06:25 AM
According to World Family Names (http://worldnames.publicprofiler.org/) "Vanberg" is most common in Sogn og Fjordane, Norway & Vastmansland, Sweden. Doesn't register in the Netherlands or Flanders.

Thanks for that link, I looked up my family's surname, turns out it's very common Western Germany and Poland, and then my mother's maiden name, which I go by, is extremely popular in Switzerland, near lake Geneva, which was originally refereed to by my family's name.

Thusnelda
Friday, December 3rd, 2010, 10:46 AM
The word 'berg' in modern Scandinavian languages mean 'geological formations of mountain' or a sort of "mountainous hill".
Well, the same counts for our German language. ;) "Berg" is the German word for "mountain". It“s a Germanic continuum and used in Scandinavia and Germany or Austria.

There“re some people with "Vanberg" as the surname living in Germany, look at this surname distribution map: http://www.verwandt.de/karten/absolut/vanberg.html (You can check other surnames there as well)

Since most of the people with the surname "Vanberg" live in the county of Aachen at the border to both Netherlands and Belgium, its possible that the family originates on either side.

Žoreišar
Friday, December 3rd, 2010, 02:12 PM
A quick search in Norwegian and Swedish internet phonebooks show a small number of about 150 people in Norway and about 1000 in Sweden having surnames similar to 'Vansberg', like 'Vanberg', 'Wannberg', 'Vensberg', etc.

bęny
Friday, December 3rd, 2010, 03:31 PM
Yes that is why I was convinced to think it was of Scandinavian origin, the village I live in in the doomsday book was called 'Bergby', and I have come to believe that sounds very Scandinavian too?

Balders gate
Friday, December 3rd, 2010, 10:23 PM
Well, the same counts for our German language. ;) "Berg" is the German word for "mountain". It“s a Germanic continuum and used in Scandinavia and Germany or Austria.

There“re some people with "Vanberg" as the surname living in Germany, look at this surname distribution map: http://www.verwandt.de/karten/absolut/vanberg.html (You can check other surnames there as well)

Since most of the people with the surname "Vanberg" live in the county of Aachen at the border to both Netherlands and Belgium, its possible that the family originates on either side.

Thanks for the website thusnelda. Now I can look up where my german ancestors surnames came from. :)

Žoreišar
Saturday, December 4th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Yes that is why I was convinced to think it was of Scandinavian origin, the village I live in in the doomsday book was called 'Bergby', and I have come to believe that sounds very Scandinavian too?It does. ;)

'By' means 'city' in Norwegian, Danish and Swedish.