PDA

View Full Version : 'Northern Tradition for the Solitary Practitioner' by Galina Krasskova - Any Good?

Landers
Monday, November 8th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Is this book any good?

http://www.amazon.com/Northern-Tradition-Solitary-Practitioner-Devotional/dp/1601630344/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_c

Fyrgenholt
Monday, November 8th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Well, there's a mixed response from Amazon reader reviews which would be suggestive and supportive of the notion that books such as this one are highly subjective. I find most writings of this nature to be riddled with ideology and to be very rooted in 'Neo-Pagan' perceptivity. I'm not so sure on the idea of there being a realistic, monlithic, 'Northern Tradition' to begin with, but that's just my opinion. If this books interests you and appeals to you then go for it, if not, then do not.

Grimsteinr
Tuesday, November 9th, 2010, 03:27 PM
IIRC, isn't that the transgendered anti-Asatru guy/woman who worships the Chaos Thurses, rather than the Aesir & Vanir..........

I'll try to do some looking up on that, to be sure. She & her(?) partner run a Group devoted to some curious practices.
Been a while since I heard anything about them, a few years anyway.

Saxe
Wednesday, November 17th, 2010, 06:03 PM
DO. NOT. READ.

It's Norse Wicca tinged with strange, fetishy undertones. The authors repeatedly refer to themselves as "slaves" to the gods, and if you read some of the accounts of their rituals and ordeals (Ironwood Kindred) there is some seriously scary stuff.

fbower
Thursday, December 16th, 2010, 11:03 PM
DO. NOT. READ.

It's Norse Wicca tinged with strange, fetishy undertones. The authors repeatedly refer to themselves as "slaves" to the gods, and if you read some of the accounts of their rituals and ordeals (Ironwood Kindred) there is some seriously scary stuff.

Have you read the book or are you just repeating something you have seen elsewhere?

The book has nothing to do with Wicca and there are no "fetishy undertones" nor is there any reference to "slaves". Yes I have read things attributed to, and about, one of the authors being involved in some strange bondage type rituals but there is nothing in this book about that by any stretch of the imagination.

As for the book I would not put it on the must have list. First couple of chapters are okay but most of the book is about prayer and meditation. If that is an interest there are many more books out there on the practice of meditation that would be better. Just did not find much substance to the book.

In Frith
Fred

Thorwald
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 12:27 PM
IIRC, isn't that the transgendered anti-Asatru guy/woman who worships the Chaos Thurses, rather than the Aesir & Vanir..........

I am not sure if she is transgendered, but it wouldn't surprise me.

But, yes, she is a shamanistic neopagan who passes herself as a Heathen when it suits her (i.e, when it sells books).

Most recently she dedicated a book to Ereshkigal, a Near Eastern goddess. The central rite in the modern religion of Ereshskigal seems to be BDSM. That should tell you everything you need to know.

asatrur
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I read this book a few months back, as it was one of the few non-wiccan, etc. book on my library shelf and it was an interesting read and had some useful information, but like others I would not recommend it.

Ocko
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 11:52 PM
The main point is to establish a relationship with the God you chose. After the communication is established you won't need any book.

It may take a while until the left brain is newly wired for intuition but it becomes clearer over time.

It needs time and practice to get in tune with your God but after a while you 'feel' things, you receive omens, you experience strange things that in retrospection makes sense and so on.

Once the channel is open you don't read books anymore, unless to increase your knowledge. But as in modern times it is usual to copy from other authors before you and rephrase it, most books are boring after you have read a few.

Unless you do something to establish the connection reading is non-sense.

Iniate yourself by a ritual of your chosing or making, don't worry it will work and do the job. the Gods are alive and want to communicate with you. The language might be unusual but over time it becomes clear.