PDA

View Full Version : Wolfdog / Wolf-Hybrids

Ljót-fulfr
Thursday, November 4th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Does anyone have any opinions of wolf-hyrbrid dogs? I'm an experienced dog owner and I'm thinking of getting a wolfdog pup from a breeder that is aprox 40%-60% wolf, and the rest German Shepherd and Alaskan Malamute.

I'm curious as to their temperment and trainability. Any cautions? Thanks.

http://straightwhiteguy.mu.nu/images/wolfdog_big.jpg

Oski
Thursday, November 4th, 2010, 02:49 AM
They have a unpredictable aggressive side. You'll have to train it twice as much.

They look great though :thumbup

GroeneWolf
Thursday, November 4th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Also you must make sure that you get one from a proper breeder or else the problems these hybrids can get will be worse.

Astrid Runa
Thursday, November 4th, 2010, 02:39 PM
They are absolutley gorgeous creatures.
But their temprament is a bit more.... agressive than your average dog, what with the wolven instinct still within them.
But they're loyal, allbeit fiercly loyal, hehe.

wittwer
Thursday, November 4th, 2010, 03:10 PM
They're good animals, provided the owner can control it through proper training and discipline and has a stronger will than the dog.

Two issues though, first, due to their fur they are not the best animals for hot and humid environments. And secondly, expect them to eat you out of house and home.

Aeternitas
Friday, November 5th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I'm a dog owner myself and I researched into several breeds before deciding on one. This is what I know of wolf-dog hybrids:

They have an intense pack instinct and necessity, which is why it is recommended to own at least two of them. They are more dog-oriented than family/human-oriented. Not suited for city/apartment life. They need a lot of exercise. They are recommended for experienced dog owners. They need to be dominated instinctively/psychologically. The Saarlooswolfhond (a Dutch breed) is an example of an established breed of wolf-dog hybrid.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t304/ildulv/Blizzard%20Beasts/20100102_1806.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t304/ildulv/Blizzard%20Beasts/20100102_1919.jpg

Arctos
Friday, November 19th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I found your site by accident and was reading some of the comments regarding wolves/wolf-hybrids and am very disappointed in the lack of knowledge and the fear mongering here.

I would be interested if any of the people who commented about wolves/wolfdogsbeing aggressive and dangerous have ever even owned one, or is it pure rumor and fear of the unknown that makes one make up such stories?

If you really want factual information from people who have raised these animals sucessfully for almost two decades, visit this site. http://wolfdog.ws

Personally I have found it a fact that there are many dogs that are more agressive than wolfdogs, and especially wolves. Dogs are domestic and not afraid of people. Wolves on the other hand are not domestic and they shy away from people by nature. The only time a wolf/wolfdog would harm someone is if the person who was caring for them, did not understand or care to learn the behavior. Wolves will give triggers that one must understand and pay attention to, before they act on it.

I urge you to visit my website before making ignorant assumptions based on fear or fear from media and anti-wolf/wolfdog activists. This kind of fear and wrong assumptions have caused these kinds of animals to be euthanized because someone got them who didn't have a clue how to care for them. Instead of admitting their human error, they said the animals were scary and dangerous. It is a shame, and a travesty people cause these things to happen.

Best wishes, and I really do hope you will take the time to learn before commenting.

Stormy

Oski
Friday, November 19th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Some travelers (train hoppers) came through town with a couple wolf dogs, they had bad behavior (both the travelers and the wolf-dogs). Perhaps in the correct setting they could be less aggressive.

Sciuirse Morrigna
Friday, November 19th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Others may not agree, but I think they are great dogs, but with a few caveats.

1.) Like Arctos said (sort of), you need to learn to "speak doggie" -- look for their triggers, etc. But that's true for any aggressive dog breed.

2.) I've heard them described as only partly domesticated. In a way, that's true. You have to establish and maintain your dominance as the alpha. You have to do it early, and you will have to be harder on misbehavior than if it was a poodle. Again, what I'd recommend for any aggressive breed.

3.) They "pack" very well, which can have a downside. If you have stupid people that expect to jump your fence into your yard and poke at the dog, they'll get schooled real quick. The upside is, as the alpha, you're part of the pack, and if someone breaks in and attacks you, they're in real trouble.

In short, if you're willing to put in the required time and effort, you will have a top-notch companion. If you're lazy and stupid, get a poodle.

The fear factor, IMO comes in because, like any large, aggressive dog, wolfdogs are very CAPABLE of causing severe injury. Ignorant people fear anything capable of stopping them from their intended stupid/nefarious deeds.

Example: "I'm afraid of that dog!"
"Why?"
"It could bite me really bad if I'm in your yard."
"Don't come in my yard unless you see me."

"You shouldn't have that kind of dog."
"Why?"
"It might bite me when I'm walking by on the sidewalk."
"If it bites you while you are walking by, it's because you stuck your hand over the fence while walking in the drainage ditch!"

"People shouldn't have dogs like that."
"Why?"
It might bite someone's kids if they jump your fence to go after a ball or something."
"Teach your kids not to trespass."

Hemerik
Tuesday, February 1st, 2011, 11:43 PM
In Europe, we have two breeds of wolfdog that are a bit more stable and predictable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saarlooswolfhond

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czechoslovakian_Wolfdog

Especially the Saarloos is beautiful, although it is a bit shy. The Czech has more of a German Shepherd temperament.

Saarlooswolfhond:

http://www.bastaja.nl/mediapool/62/623818/resources/16274419.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3585/3421518919_f0e092299e.jpg

Czechoslovakian Wolfdog:

http://www.warkensewolf.nl/images/Fotos/in%20de%20sneeuw%20klein.jpg

Tristan-
Wednesday, June 15th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Well, apart from the established wolfdog hybrids that have already been described,
wolfdogs are pretty tough to deal with, especially if you're not an experienced owner.

Unlike most dogs you 'constantly' have to demonstrate your alpha-position, since they'll always strive to be on top of the pack. They also are hard to train, especially repetitive, mindless tasks. They get bored easily.
They're also shy (if not extremely properly adjusted to humans early on) and quite aggressive.
Any trespasser is likely to be relieved from a huge chunk of flesh and even your own kids need to learn to give the wolfdog his space; I don't think they're suitable for a family with newborns or 1-4year olds.
(though that too depends on your ability to handle dogs/wolves)

But then again, only for the not established hybrids, but real 50/50 1 Generation hybrids.

Summarize:
They're more unpredictable, tougher to deal with than normal dogs and should only be kept by people who know what they're doing.
Saarloswolfhonds and the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog are (more or less) an exception to this.
(though they are not 50/50 hybrids)

TXRog
Wednesday, June 15th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Wolves being my absolute favorite animal, I cannot think of a more beautiful creature.

I had a good friend in Texas years ago that had a wolf hybrid - half Timber Wolf and half Malamute (my favorite breed of dog). It weighed almost 150 lbs. and was an amazing animal.

However, it was extremely territorial and required a large area in which to run around. When it was just a pup, it tore up the furniture and was not easy to control.

Unless you have alot of patience and are a VERY strong "Alpha type" personality, have alot of private property to let such an animal run around on, I would strongly discourage you from getting one of these animals.

Remember, they are and will ALWAYS be half wild, and no matter what anyone tells you, a wild animal remains this way all their life. The only exception to this is perhaps wild horses (Mustangs). I have had several friends who have adopted them right out of the wild and with patience and time (up to a year or more) it is possible to work with them and they make excellent mounts, probably the best horses one can use for working with cattle.

Hope that helps.

OneEye
Thursday, June 16th, 2011, 12:42 AM
I really like this thread on wolf hybrids. From what I have read, many other people on this forum like wolves and wolf hybrids as well, big :thumbsup to that! I love the olde world german shepherds; the big boned, straight backed (not slanted/frog like back), large statured, heavy weight german shepherd. I think they are absolutely gorgeous and they have great abilities. I am curious to know if there is a hybrid that is part wolf, part olde world german shepherd? Does anyone have info on that? I would love to have one if they exist. They would be my idea of a perfect dog.