PDA

View Full Version : Do You Drink Tap Water?

Siebenbürgerin
Monday, June 29th, 2009, 02:36 PM
How is the tap water in your area?
I've to say I'm a little bit wary of drinking water from the tap. It has a taste of chemical cocktail and it's said it isn't very healthy. I'm concerned about the quality of the water pipes. Some are very old and even rusty, and it can be seen when there is no water for a day and then they finally release it through the tap. Then the water is coloured rust like, and you've to wait some minutes leaving it running to become clear again. :|

Quo vadis
Monday, June 29th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I drink the tap water here because it looks and smells fine and because, according to chemical examination, the tap water in my city is fine, as it is sent through the pipes from the water supply. But as you said, the water could still get contaminated by anything by the pipes in my house. For safety reasons I let the water run from the tap for a few seconds before I take anything, in order not to use that water which stayed in the pipes of my house for a long time. I heard that one can have one's tap water examined by a chemical laboratory, but I never did this myself.

Hanna
Monday, June 29th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Yes I drink tap water, our Norwegian water is the best.... at least for me :)

Thusnelda
Tuesday, June 30th, 2009, 01:31 PM
The tap water of our region is very clear and receives awards for supreme quality on a regular basis. The water pipes are under steady revision and strongly controlled. There´re water-processing units in nearly every larger village.

However, I dislike drinking pure tab water. It´s just too flavourless for me. I prefer drinking pure and untreated water instead, like when we´re in the Alpes. Drinking from a brook which originates in a glacier some miles above is very delicious. You can taste the minerals and the ambient grasses.

Matamoros
Wednesday, July 1st, 2009, 10:20 AM
I drink tap water, because the water in this country is always safe to drink.

Sigurd
Wednesday, July 1st, 2009, 05:44 PM
Our drinking water in Austria is the cleanest it gets, and there is no problem drinking it from the tap. Absolutely pristine quality, there is no need here to chorify the water pipes, as we have water in abundance. Other countries are queuing up to get some of ours.

But like Valky said - good old lead pipes can never atone for the grandeur of fresh spring water, running down a mountainside in an orderly brook, untainted by the evils of modernity in the cities.

We have good water. Now as to the water quality during my academic forays way up north - that's alas a different matter altogether. :P

Istigkeit
Wednesday, July 1st, 2009, 06:22 PM
I have a filter for my tap water.

The tap water in Florida isn't the best quality, but the biggest problem would be the chlorine they put in it. For that reason, a lot of people will opt for bottled water but it seems so silly to pay for something I can get out of my tap for a 1/10th of the price (if not cheaper).

Allenson
Wednesday, July 1st, 2009, 07:19 PM
It depends on where I am. ;)

At home, it's no problem at all. There is no municipal water where I am, so everyone has a private well for their water source.

Luckily, my well & the water therein is quite clean & tasty.

Hrodnand
Wednesday, July 1st, 2009, 08:20 PM
I rarely drink tap water, we have plenty of mineral water springs of good quality here in the mountains so I prefer that plus I don't trust the tap water here in my area, it has quite a bad reputation. I use tap water only for tea or cooking.

The Captain
Thursday, July 2nd, 2009, 12:36 AM
I drink tap water... It's very clean, too. We have a spring here, water's filtered several times.

theTasmanian
Thursday, July 2nd, 2009, 11:11 PM
Study's have found the Tap water here is better than bottled water

Neophyte
Friday, July 3rd, 2009, 10:03 PM
Study's have found the Tap water here is better than bottled water

Same here. One of the many advantages of living in a Germanic country. :)

Theodoric
Tuesday, July 21st, 2009, 10:10 PM
I usualy never drink tap water because :
- it has a chemical taste such as the water in the swimming pools
- some people and studies say that the chemical agents that are in the water and other elements (derivating from the contraception regected by urine for exemple) can affect your health. Some studies I heard from people studying at the medical university of my town, said that the water tends to make people more docile, and to affect the fertility and masculinity.
Though I am not, personnaly sure of that, I anyway don't want to drink everyday litres of water which contain chemical agents such as chlore.
- I think that energeticaly (the water can be charged by some cosmotelluric energies, that's why for exemple we can find some "holes" in sacred stones where our ancesters prepared beverage to "charge" them with good vibes) the water from tap is certainly worse than one coming from a clear source in the mountain. Second thing, I don't know if the water from tap contains all the minerals the body needs. That's why it's recommendated to drink water from different sources, because each one has a "mineral identity" depending on the nature of the soil for exemple.

The problem of the water is something really hard and I still don't have all the knowledge. But i'm interested in it, because water is one of the most important thing for life on earth, and also because I practice treking, and the water problem is really strategic (chose between having secure water and an heavy bag, or try to find and secure water on the way).

The water from tap has to satisfy several laws to be considered as "drinkable". But that doesn't mean that there is nothing dangerous in it, but just that this dangerous things are not numerous enough to give you health deseases.
But if you look at the bottled water.. you could also say that it's a problem to have water stocked in a plastic bottle.. expecialy when the industries let the stocks burn under the Sun !!!

I think there will allways be a problem somewhere and the best thing to do, if you have a spring close to your house, is to test this water in a laboratory, and if it's good enough, to drink it. And if you're not sure, there are ways to purify it without adding any chemical substance. As for exemple by UV (you can just let your bottle 1-2 days under the sun, on your roof, and it will be purified) and filtration (doesnt eliminate all viruses and bacteries, but is a good pre-treatment).

Actualy, I don't have any spring nearby because I live in town. So I just have a tap filter (carbone) which eliminates the chemical agents from the water..
In the house we've got in the mountain (vogesen), we have a spring, and i'll drink this water after treatment if I lived there.

Sorry for the lenght, but there are so many things to say about water.. maybe we should open other threads, for exemple about water in treking, if there are some people interested in it !

Hersir
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009, 04:51 AM
Yes, I drink tap water every day, Norway has the cleanest tap water in the world:)

Siebenbürgerin
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009, 11:12 AM
I usualy never drink tap water because :
- it has a chemical taste such as the water in the swimming pools
- some people and studies say that the chemical agents that are in the water and other elements (derivating from the contraception regected by urine for exemple) can affect your health. Some studies I heard from people studying at the medical university of my town, said that the water tends to make people more docile, and to affect the fertility and masculinity.
Though I am not, personnaly sure of that, I anyway don't want to drink everyday litres of water which contain chemical agents such as chlore.
- I think that energeticaly (the water can be charged by some cosmotelluric energies, that's why for exemple we can find some "holes" in sacred stones where our ancesters prepared beverage to "charge" them with good vibes) the water from tap is certainly worse than one coming from a clear source in the mountain. Second thing, I don't know if the water from tap contains all the minerals the body needs. That's why it's recommendated to drink water from different sources, because each one has a "mineral identity" depending on the nature of the soil for exemple.

The problem of the water is something really hard and I still don't have all the knowledge. But i'm interested in it, because water is one of the most important thing for life on earth, and also because I practice treking, and the water problem is really strategic (chose between having secure water and an heavy bag, or try to find and secure water on the way).

The water from tap has to satisfy several laws to be considered as "drinkable". But that doesn't mean that there is nothing dangerous in it, but just that this dangerous things are not numerous enough to give you health deseases.
But if you look at the bottled water.. you could also say that it's a problem to have water stocked in a plastic bottle.. expecialy when the industries let the stocks burn under the Sun !!!

I think there will allways be a problem somewhere and the best thing to do, if you have a spring close to your house, is to test this water in a laboratory, and if it's good enough, to drink it. And if you're not sure, there are ways to purify it without adding any chemical substance. As for exemple by UV (you can just let your bottle 1-2 days under the sun, on your roof, and it will be purified) and filtration (doesnt eliminate all viruses and bacteries, but is a good pre-treatment).

Actualy, I don't have any spring nearby because I live in town. So I just have a tap filter (carbone) which eliminates the chemical agents from the water..
In the house we've got in the mountain (vogesen), we have a spring, and i'll drink this water after treatment if I lived there.

Sorry for the lenght, but there are so many things to say about water.. maybe we should open other threads, for exemple about water in treking, if there are some people interested in it !
A very interesting and elaborate post. Indeed, the chemicals in the tap water are the reason I worry. I drink bottled water or I boil the tap water before drinking it. I've not thought about a tap filter, but it sounds like a good idea. We should all be concerned with water, because it's the essence of life indeed.

Theodoric
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009, 12:28 PM
There are plenty of ways to filter or purify water, depending on the needs. There are elaborated and expensive ways, or simple things.

Boiling the water is the PERFECT way to kill all biological elements such as parasites, bacteries and viruses.
But concerning the chemical elements (chlore, metals... radioactives !! :D) it's just inefficient because those elements will stay in the water.
Then you could distillate water, keeping only the steam.. but then you loose the minerals that are essential for you !!

I think a carbon filter is the best solution for people living in european towns (where tap water satisfies some hygiene laws). The carbon filter is something you plug on your tap, it costs about 35€ (depending on the brand), and you can use it for a while before changing the cardrige.
The activated carbon stops the nocive elements, letting theoricaly pass the oligo-elements and minerals we need.

We should not forget that we are made by 65% of water and that this water reacts with various things such as cosmotellurism, minerals in it etc.. those elements affect our wellness and also our moral.

Leonhardt
Sunday, August 2nd, 2009, 06:43 AM
I use a carbon faucet filter in the kitchen. I have been considering a reverse osmosis filter, because I heard they can remove fluoride from the water.

EQ Fighter
Sunday, August 2nd, 2009, 07:34 AM
In Short, NO!
For Obvious Reasons.

Zimobog
Sunday, August 2nd, 2009, 09:13 AM
I drink my own well water.

Kogen
Sunday, August 2nd, 2009, 10:14 AM
I tend not to, as our water is not very clean. We commonly get disease alerts that give people diarrhea, or there is simply dirt in it.

Zimobog
Sunday, August 2nd, 2009, 11:01 AM
tend not to, as our water is not very clean. We commonly get disease alerts that give people diarrhea, or there is simply dirt in it.

Yuck! Where is that?

Ceasar
Tuesday, August 11th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Yes I do, and it has never been a problem. Never ever any diseases and it tastes very good.

Huginn ok Muninn
Tuesday, August 11th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I prefer filtered water. Our tap water here is not too bad, except for those times the local reservoir "turns" and there is a slight taste of dead fish. :thumbdown

I can, however, taste the chlorine used to kill bacteria, and I think they might also put fluoride in there for some trumped up reason. Fluoride is a poison, and you should be careful not to swallow any of your toothpaste because of it. I recently got what is supposed to be the best water filter in the world, a "Big Berkey." Missionaries use them to get the horrors out of the water in third world countries. There is also an additional filter you can get to take care of the fluoride as well.

Google "big berkey" or "british berkefeld." I bought mine online.

Astrid Runa
Friday, September 18th, 2009, 08:57 PM
How is the tap water in your area?
I've to say I'm a little bit wary of drinking water from the tap. It has a taste of chemical cocktail and it's said it isn't very healthy. I'm concerned about the quality of the water pipes. Some are very old and even rusty, and it can be seen when there is no water for a day and then they finally release it through the tap. Then the water is coloured rust like, and you've to wait some minutes leaving it running to become clear again. :|

Our water tastes like bleach.
We bought a water filter from Brita. The difference is amazing!
I boil the water first, waiti till it cools, then store it in the filter jug and put it in the fridge.
The water is so much clearer with the water filter.

oakenbough
Saturday, September 19th, 2009, 12:33 AM
The water here is alright, it is chlorinated but the amount drops off through the day. It's also soft which is a blessing, and unless you want to ingest all the lovely chemicals in bottled water or pay an absurd premium for water in glass bottles, there really is no choice for us city dwellers.

Hesse
Friday, November 27th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I use tap water, but put it through a PUR purifier device (it's one of those pitchers with a blue filter inside), because I heard it has some bad stuff in it. I used to use one of those Culligan 5 gallon bottles, but discontinued personal use of it after discovering that it was made with the #7 plastic (harmful chemicals).

Northern Paladin
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Personally I buy bottled water because I can't get myself to drink anything that contains fluoride and/or chlorine, and for that matter any chemical that my body was not meant to ingest. I've lived near Chicago most of my life, and whenever I drank the water straight from the tap I would become lethargic and kind of achy all over.

Also, this is kind of odd, but they did a study and found that most metropolitan US water contains trace amounts of pharmaceutical drugs. People take medication, the go pee, the water goes to a treatment facility which cannot adequately filter the water and we essentially get mass medication for free! :thumbup

Schubert
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I tend to avoid bottled water because I live off of a well, not city water. Saves money and less waste.

þeudiskaz
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010, 07:45 AM
I have a water filter right in the tap. Bottled water is often just tap water too, except it costs like 1000x as much as tap water, and creates more waste. Also, there are less restrictions on how purified bottled water has to be than tap water, which is generally cleaner.

My advice, buy your own filter, and purify your own water. It's way cheaper, and cleaner than bottled water, and much much better for the environment.

Hersir
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Tap water here is the best in the world, bottled water is usually not as healthy because it has been stored. But I think it's a good alternative to soda drinks if you are thirsty.

Northern Paladin
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Tap water here is the best in the world, bottled water is usually not as healthy because it has been stored. But I think it's a good alternative to soda drinks if you are thirsty.

You live in Europe that's why. They don't put fluoride and chlorine into the tap water over there right?

Thusnelda
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010, 04:55 PM
There are regular checks of our tap water here in Germany and the quality is excellent. :) Million of people drink it every day regularly, so do I. No problems at all.

SpearBrave
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010, 05:07 PM
We have a well, so I bottle my own water in stainless steel water containers when we go out.

I think the bottled water creates a lot of waste with the bottles.

Northern Paladin
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010, 05:43 PM
The tap water in Chicago is very similar to water you might find in a public pool. It has a very distinctive chemical odor (chlorine) and contains high amounts of fluoride as well.

I don't drink it.

Bwana Doc
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I drink our tap water. I prefer it to bottled water which is typically polluted with chemicals from manufacturing the bottles.

Hersir
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010, 08:09 PM
You live in Europe that's why. They don't put fluoride and chlorine into the tap water over there right?

They put very small amounts of chlorine in the water (among the least amounts of chlorine in water in the world), UV light is also a popular way to clean the water here.

Neophyte
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Chlorine degrades into rock salt and water pretty quickly, at least if the engineers at the water plant know their job. So that is probably not a major problem.

Stefan
Thursday, November 11th, 2010, 01:13 AM
No. It's deep well water, very hard. I have a reverse osmosis system to purify it.

Sissi
Thursday, November 18th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Yes. It's perfectly safe to drink tap water here. The Wiener Hochquellwasser (Viennese high spring water), is one of the purest waters in the world. :)

Thusnelda
Thursday, November 18th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Yes. It's perfectly safe to drink tap water here. The Wiener Hochquellwasser (Viennese high spring water), is one of the purest waters in the world. :)
That´s true, it comes from the springs of the Wienerwald. :)

http://turs.lebensmittelkunde.at/images/medien/10967_xlarge.jpg

Our tap water origins in our Bavarian forest, similar to the Wienerwald.

Thorolf
Thursday, November 18th, 2010, 09:37 PM
i have a well so i drink all the water i want from the tap.

Caledonian
Friday, November 19th, 2010, 01:02 AM
I don't trust the rusted pipes in the crumbling aging apartment complex that I live in to drink tap water. :|

GroeneWolf
Friday, November 19th, 2010, 06:47 PM
The tap water here is safe to drink. But I prefer mineral water.

captainblue
Sunday, November 21st, 2010, 02:55 PM
Tap water here in NJ is safe to drink but tastes like chlorine so I run it through
An activated carbon filter.

Bwana Doc
Wednesday, November 24th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I drink tap water. I think it is pretty safe. Our water is quite hard and a lot of heavy metal contamination is mitigated by that.

Aishiri
Saturday, January 8th, 2011, 01:38 PM
The tap water here is fine and all, but bottled water tastes better to me. Of course, some bottled waters taste better than others but I'm not going to get into that.

Hersir
Saturday, January 8th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Having some Norwegian tap water now, it is very good. It's stupid to buy bottled water here, tap water is healthier.

Ingvaeonic
Saturday, January 8th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I don't drink tap water in Asia. Not healthy. In Australia, I do, but with reservations.

Wychaert
Saturday, January 8th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I drink tap water. Nothing wrong with it, compared to tap water in france. That taste like pure chloride to me.

Granraude
Sunday, January 9th, 2011, 03:47 PM
We have quite high quality tapwater here, so I drink tap, yes.

Also, it tastes MUCH better than any bottled water I've tasted.

Centaur
Monday, January 31st, 2011, 08:15 AM
I'm too poor to be buying corporate water... Tap water here in Oregon isn't bad imo anyways.

Carolus
Friday, March 25th, 2011, 03:02 AM
The swedish tap water is of a very high standard, and the water in my town taste really good. A fun fact is that you can actually drink the water from Mälaren in central Stockholm without any additional purification.

Robbensvolk
Friday, March 25th, 2011, 09:36 PM
I have lived my whole life in New York City. Say what you want about New York, but it has the best tap water in the world. Anybody who has ever had New York water can tell you that. Just drink it right out of the faucet. Drive two hours upstate and the water tastes like rocks, like the rest of the world.

TheBlackCross
Friday, March 25th, 2011, 09:44 PM
There was a report a few years ago that said tap water in several US states including where I live had all sort of chemicals in it, from Tylenol to Estrogen.

Which kinda explains why 13 year-olds here have bodies of 18 year-olds giving them the term "Jailbait".

Offa of Angel
Friday, March 25th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I do drink tap water but I am using a Britta filter to take out the hardness of the water.

Sindig_og_stoisk
Saturday, March 26th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Danish tap water is some of the purest in the world and bottled water costs literally one thousand times as much as simply pouring it from the tap.

I make a habit of drinking a minimum of two liters a day and preferably three.

Offa of Angel
Saturday, March 26th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Water from plastic bottles contains plasticizers like BPA that may cause male infertility.

Morke Herulf
Tuesday, March 29th, 2011, 02:14 AM
I do. I do not like bottled water, it has a plastic aftertaste and plastic bottles are not eco-friendly. I like spring water better but I live in the city so tap water will have to do.

Hersir
Tuesday, March 29th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Danish tap water is some of the purest in the world and bottled water costs literally one thousand times as much as simply pouring it from the tap.

I make a habit of drinking a minimum of two liters a day and preferably three.

Tap water is also more fresh than bottled water. The bottled water could have been in storage for months.

BritishLad
Tuesday, March 29th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Yes, it's much fresher than bottled water. It was revealed that some bottled water is kept in storage for about a year before being distributed.

folkesang
Thursday, March 31st, 2011, 10:38 PM
Norwegian tap water is of very high quality ,so I drink it:)

Hamar Fox
Thursday, March 31st, 2011, 10:45 PM
Yes. I actually have a favourite tap to drink water from.

Northern Paladin
Friday, April 1st, 2011, 03:29 AM
Yes. I actually have a favourite tap to drink water from.

Do they add fluoride to the tap over there in England?

Finnish Swede
Thursday, May 24th, 2018, 10:27 PM
Finland has only two ''natural resources'' .... forest and other is? Water! Meaning: here are lots of clean groundwater areas.

And yes...tap water is very good here.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Friday, May 25th, 2018, 12:15 AM
I prefer tap water to bottled water, unless it's mineral water. Regular bottled water is an overpriced placebo. Granted, I've dated my curiosity with Norwegian and Icelandic water. They don't taste any different. If I can have Gerolsteiner again, that would be cool.

LillyCaterina
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 08:46 PM
We filter our tap water to eliminate undesirable contaminants such as pharmaceutical waste. :)

Herr Rentz
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 09:19 PM
The water in my town is so bad, the town sends out a water report quarterly telling the citizens it didn't pass the required EPA standards. It is drinkable, but it tastes like crap.

And, these asshats had the gall to double water rates a year ago. Instead of my water bill being around $22 a month it is now $42-$45 a month. Bastards.

A lot of bottled water and beer is sold in this town.

SaxonPagan
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 05:58 PM
The weather is so infernally hot right now that I'm drinking all the water I can find, whether it's in a bottle or from the tap!

I have a slight preference for the bottled stuff though because it's not only purer but you can also store it more easily in the fridge.

Aelfgar
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 07:04 PM
Corporation pop :)

I used to drink filtered water a lot but now I can't be bothered and drink it from the tap.

Uwe Jens Lornsen
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 07:13 PM
Not drinking from the tap in the kitchen much .

When I drink this Leitungswasser Pipewater here in the Ghetto , then I usually
put some vitamin bubble pill in it .

The main tubes under the streets are still cast iron and the tap water really
carries all sorts of minerals in it , that leave brown waterspots when
the water dries away .

chrisjqb
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 11:02 PM
Right now I am drinking coffee made with tap water.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Monday, July 9th, 2018, 01:35 AM
Right now I am drinking coffee made with tap water.

Just curious: Who goes out of their way to get a water bottle and coffee grounds, to make coffee? Do the coffee makers who sell bottled beverages use special water supplies to mass produce their merchandise for sale?

ravenseyes
Wednesday, July 11th, 2018, 11:41 PM
I can honestly say, which will most likely not be believed, I have never drank water that is not from a clean ( regularly tested also) well. Country water through natural aquifers from nature. My parents would not allow us to drink tap. Even when we traveled for the day, mom brought water from home and kept it in a cooler in the car. I kept the same habit when I grew to adult.

I am assuming what is meant by tap, is water in which it has been treated through a system. (?)

Germanic_Yeoman
Thursday, July 12th, 2018, 04:09 AM
I collect my drinking water once a month from a mountain spring that has been used by people in the immediate area for generations (it's a fairly remote area and many people don't have access to public utilities). The water flows directly from the hillside through a small pipe. I've been drinking from the same spring, unfiltered, for almost 15 years. I'm not sure if the water is ever tested by the local government or not.

Finnish Swede
Thursday, July 12th, 2018, 08:06 PM
Here shower waters and washing machine/disk machine waters etc. are same way "drinkable" as tap
waters (being exactly the same quality). Actually too good for purposes...

Aelfgar
Thursday, July 12th, 2018, 10:19 PM
I can honestly say, which will most likely not be believed, I have never drank water that is not from a clean ( regularly tested also) well. Country water through natural aquifers from nature. My parents would not allow us to drink tap. Even when we traveled for the day, mom brought water from home and kept it in a cooler in the car. I kept the same habit when I grew to adult.

I am assuming what is meant by tap, is water in which it has been treated through a system. (?)Don't you call a tap a faucet in America?

ravenseyes
Friday, July 13th, 2018, 02:11 AM
Yes, depending on where one lives. Across the country, words change for the same item.

I looked into this today, as my father who was a physician taught us about his belief of the future poisoning plans of it's citisens. Today, I was in the grocery when I recalled the name of the poison. Atrazine. It is easily found on internet and there is a video about atrazine being used to chemically castrate males and cause sexual confusion in teens and adults alike. It also caused almost instant sexual confusion and worse, in frogs with minor doses less than what is found in treated waters across the world, they grew both sex organs. F***ing sick world.

Lasgo
Wednesday, July 25th, 2018, 04:59 PM
no its full of additives

Aeternitas
Tuesday, September 11th, 2018, 03:08 PM
Yes. The water in my area flows directly from mountain spring pipelines, without pumps and under the strictest regulations. Studies have shown that it does not present any pesticide residues. In fact it is such good quality it has been constitutionally protected. Tourists are also often impressed with its freshness and taste. The tap water is not only safe but also soft, what makes it taste better than hard water (though this is just personal preference), which although perfectly safe and rich in minerals, can leave dingy looking clothes, dishes with spots and residue, not to mention take a toll on household appliances as well and use up more energy. Hair washed in hard water may feel sticky and dull at times, depending on the degree of hadness. So generally, I'm quite happy with the tap water here.

Water is nowadays my drink of choice, it is a much healthier alternative to fizzy drinks and commercial juices, which have a high sugar content. Soft drinks are often hidden calorie products for this reason, cutting those alone will make a difference if you want to shed some extra pounds. And not only, but a lot of common health issues and grievances can be traced to not drinking enough water. Dehydration can lead to digestive problems, constipation, and an overly acidic stomach. This increases the risk of heartburn and stomach ulcers. A lack of water can also cause blood to become thicker, increasing blood pressure. When dehydrated, airways are restricted by the body in an effort to minimize water loss. This can make asthma and allergies worse. Dehydrated skin can become more vulnerable to skin disorders and wrinkling. Keeping sufficiently hydrated eliminates or improves most of these issues. Minerals dissolve in water, which makes it possible for them to reach different parts of the body. How much water intake one needs depends on gender, age, size, diet climate/season and lifestyle. Many recommend 2L (8 glasses), however there's no exact science behind that rule. Some fruits and vegetables, certain foods, soft drinks etc. also contribute to one's water intake, for example. One should generally trust their body and drink when they feel thirsty. Some medications, as well as old age can tamper with this natural mechanism though. And there is such thing as overhydration. Forcing oneself to drink excessive amounts of water can lead to the amount of salt and other electrolytes in the body becoming too diluted.

I rarely buy bottled water, since it is essentially tap water in a bottle (sometimes further treated, sometimes not). There are many public water fountains in my area where one can fill up their water bottle for free and most restaurants will provide you with tap water if you ask, many even free of charge. I usually take a small water bottle with me wherever I go, but if I have forgotten to do this and there is no water fountain around, I will buy a small one from a supermarket or stand and refill it later on.

For those who want to stick to water only or do a detox but find the idea/taste too bland, adding some fruit, mint or cucumber slices can provide some flavor to your water. If this type of water is your thing, an infuser can be a good investment.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/8c/9c/4e/8c9c4e99dfb4c2ac26a434fc423258c5.jpg

There are several types of infusers (https://wearetop10.com/best-fruit-infused-water-bottles/) depending on preference, some come with a vertical infuser basket that screws into the top of the bottle, others have a chamber at the bottom of the bottle for the fruit that is then topped with water. Others have integrated juicers, giving you more ways to enhance the flavor power of your water. Fruit-infused water has many health benefits (http://onesavvylife.net/the-benefits-of-having-a-fruit-infused-water-bottle/) and can easily replace flavored mineral water or sodas.

There are many combinations and recipes (https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/infused-water-ideas/view-all/) one can try. Citruses, watermelon, mango, cantaloupe, kiwis, pomegranates, various types of berries provide a stronger and more lasting flavor. One should prepare it in advance and allow for the water to infuse for at least 2-4 hours (4-6 in the fridge). Leaving it overnight gives the best results in terms of flavor. The fruit-infused water should be drunk within 2-3 days max, the fruit might have to be consumed or removed earlier though. Citrus fruits will remain fresh for longer, while melons are going to get soft and mushy quickly. Fruit-infused ice cubes (https://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/recipe-of-the-day/flavor-infused-ice-cube-recipe-jazz-up-water/) can also add flavor to your water.