PDA

View Full Version : Weird Behavior in Subforum Articles and Current Affairs

velvet
Wednesday, August 4th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Just wanted to ask if tags such as youtube and img are disabled in that subforum?

Noticed yesterday already that a youtube link didnt show up in one of the replies I wrote, and just now the img I tried to link also didnt show up, the tags simply stay unrendered.

Is this intended (and if so, why), or is this an error?

SpearBrave
Wednesday, August 4th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I think this just might be a error. I know that I had certain youtube videos that could not be embeded.

Bittereinder
Wednesday, August 4th, 2010, 10:06 PM
It might be part of a wider problem IMO, video's on profile pages are not imbedding either. :chinrub

Chlodovech
Wednesday, August 4th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Just wanted to ask if tags such as youtube and img are disabled in that subforum?

I added "=" to your [youtube] tag - in this post - and the YT video appeared rightaway. :scratch

Did you experience the [img] problem yourself, or can you give an example of a post that contains an [img] error?

velvet
Thursday, August 5th, 2010, 12:07 AM
I added "=" to your [youtube] tag - in this - and the YT video appeared rightaway. :scratch

Did you experience the [img] problem yourself, or can you give an example of a post that contains an [img] error?

Hm, thats weird, but after all makes sort of sense that a vid is supposed to have a title... skipped that because the description stands right before that, hehe.

The img that didnt show up was in Hrodnand's thread about the sun eruptions [url]http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=134668 (]post[/url)

There's just the link left now, after I retyped the tag three times and it wasnt rendered :scratch

Posted images in the what are you listening thread and there it worked just fine :shrug

Chlodovech
Thursday, August 5th, 2010, 12:42 AM
I checked Hrodnand's thread. You're right - the photo doesn't appear as it should when correctly tagged. My initial feeling is that the error isn't due to Skadi. I tried throwing another image in your post - just for a brief moment, to try things out - and this second image was visible.

Hmm. :shrug

Hrodnand
Thursday, August 5th, 2010, 07:58 AM
The img that didnt show up was in Hrodnand's thread about the sun eruptions http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=134668

I checked Hrodnand's thread. You're right - the photo doesn't appear as it should when correctly tagged.
Hmm. :shrug

Actually, that was a .mov file, a short video that plays only if you have installed Quick Time Player as an add-on to your browser. The text said "image" because on the source site the link was tagged to an image taken from the short video.

Thusnelda
Thursday, August 5th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Various websites use some kind of an image blocker. If you directly link to some pictures hosted on these sites you wonīt see the original picture but either a "Stop direkt linking/Pic stealing!" warning or nothing at all. :| I donīt know if thatīs the case here but it could be. My solution to that problem is to save the picture on my harddisk and upload it on sites like imageshack. :P

velvet
Thursday, August 5th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Hmm........

But usually the tags are rendered, even if the img doesnt show up then. What confused me was that both the youtube tag and the img tag ( [ img ] [ /img ] and [ youtube ] [ /youtube ] ) remained unrendered, as if the script didnt go over them.

I know that this is done on script level with a simple search and replace function through php, and since it was both times only in the articles&current affairs section, I thought that probably this was disabled there for some reason. (it should always render, independend of whether the source link exists or not or is blocked, the text-snippet should still render according to the php-function)

What I noticed sometimes when I programmed myself is that scripts get damaged. This happens through the mirroring server functions (for backup), sometimes they stop working although noone changed anything (for some reason ereg_replace/preg_replace are quite bitchy and often die through mirroring). Simply uploading the script anew helps then. If this is the reason then it was just by chance it happened both times in that subforum... will keep an eye on this :)

Grimner:
in my profile the video shows up though. Maybe also the title problem? Try editing your tag to youtube="", this should help then. ;)