PDA

View Full Version : Hispanicisms

Ĉmeric
Saturday, July 31st, 2010, 07:14 PM
Could we avoid them, such as in this thread title (http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=134590)? Thank you.

Chlodovech
Saturday, July 31st, 2010, 07:26 PM
I've edited the thread's title.

Méldmir
Saturday, July 31st, 2010, 08:07 PM
Then we should also start writing in Anglish instead of English, no? Is there a rule against this, seems a bit strange to censor these sort of things.

Chlodovech
Saturday, July 31st, 2010, 08:35 PM
Then we should also start writing in Anglish instead of English, no?

No. :shrug

Is there a rule against this, seems a bit strange to censor these sort of things.

Strictly speaking, the official language on the non-national fora should be English - so yes. And Spanish is also the language of the Mexican intruders on American soil - I understand Ĉmeric - Moroccan or Turkish thread titles aren't welcomed either. This is a Germanic forum, a Spanish title for a thread doesn't make sense.

Méldmir
Saturday, July 31st, 2010, 08:38 PM
No. :shrug

Strictly speaking, the official language on the non-national fora should be English. And Spanish is also the language of the Mexican intruders on American soil - I understand Ĉmeric - Moroccan or Turkish thread title's aren't welcomed either. This is a Germanic forum, a Spanish title for a thread doesn't make sense.

Is it ok to say Adios within a thread? I've seen non-Germanic languages written in some threads before. And Spanish is the language of Spain firstly, I'd say.

Chlodovech
Saturday, July 31st, 2010, 08:57 PM
Is it ok to say Adios within a thread?

I don't see why one would do that - the rules are clear - if a non-Germanic word is contextually relevant, then it's allowed. All other usage of non-Germanic languages can only be condoned, at most.

]I've seen non-Germanic languages written in some threads before.

Highly unlikely. I remember one such thread, somebody wrote 'adieu!' - ages ago.

And Spanish is the language of Spain firstly, I'd say.

There are more Spanish speakers in Latin America than in Spain, though. And for Americans Spain is far away, but Mexico is in their backyard.

Méldmir
Saturday, July 31st, 2010, 09:03 PM
Ok then, I see now. I understand Americans don't like the sight of Spanish words so much here on Skadi, for more reasons than being just non-Germanic.

Ĉmeric
Saturday, July 31st, 2010, 09:44 PM
Strictly speaking, the official language on the non-national fora should be English - so yes. And Spanish is also the language of the Mexican intruders on American soil - I understand Ĉmeric - Moroccan or Turkish thread titles aren't welcomed either. This is a Germanic forum, a Spanish title for a thread doesn't make sense.
That is precisely why I didn't like it. If he had titled his thread "Au Revior" I wouldn't have cared.

Is it ok to say Adios within a thread? I've seen non-Germanic languages written in some threads before. And Spanish is the language of Spain firstly, I'd say.

My problem with the use of "Adios" is there was really no relevance to the thread. I don't believe it was meant to be offensive, I think it is just the influence of American pop culture on a Frisian teen, a pop culture that is currently being partially Hispanicized. I have the same issues when people use ebonics or Yiddishisms. I'm not advocating the banning of all Hispanicisms or even ebonics at Skadi. There are times when discussing certain topics (Mexicans or Negro anti-social behavior) when the use of Hispanicisms or Ebonics might be appropriate to express an opinion about another culture or topic. I might describe a Negroe's place-of-residence a "crib", I would never use it to describe the home of a White person (except a whigger as an insult) or dwellings places in general.

Méldmir
Saturday, July 31st, 2010, 10:57 PM
That is precisely why I didn't like it. If he had titled his thread "Au Revior" I wouldn't have cared.

My problem with the use of "Adios" is there was really no relevance to the thread. I don't believe it was meant to be offensive, I think it is just the influence of American pop culture on a Frisian teen, a pop culture that is currently being partially Hispanicized. I have the same issues when people use ebonics or Yiddishisms. I'm not advocating the banning of all Hispanicisms or even ebonics at Skadi. There are times when discussing certain topics (Mexicans or Negro anti-social behavior) when the use of Hispanicisms or Ebonics might be appropriate to express an opinion about another culture or topic. I might describe a Negroe's place-of-residence a "crib", I would never use it to describe the home of a White person (except a whigger as an insult) or dwellings places in general.

I see, but I don't think he used it it due to MTV influence. It's like people saying "Ciao" (without being Italian), more like doing it for fun rather than trying to emaluate a latino gangster. So that is why I thought it was a little harsh to censor it, but if it was because he wanted to be like latinos on MTV then I understand your point better. Maybe our different intepretations is due to us living in countries with different foreign elements. Anyway, non-Germanic words do not belong on Skadi.

Svartljos
Sunday, August 1st, 2010, 01:54 AM
I don't know if Adios used in that thread was a slight or not, but I suppose not being from the USA I wouldn't even think it a hispanicism, although I could understand an American doing so. I suppose though, that I would not feel particularly upset about being told Adieu either though. English is already a shell of a Germanic language so it's a bit difficult to avoid Romance terms in regular parlance.

But, I suppose using overtly modern Hispanic-only terms such as Hessé (or whatever it is) or Hombré would be best to be avoided as it seems somewhat ridiculous to use them not being Hispanic, nor would it be desirable.

That said, are French threads allowed in the Canada sub-forum? Some people here seem to think there are [some] French Germanics, and French is a national language of Canada (in addition there are some French Canadian members I think), although I certainly am not of that mindset. I think I have posted here in French before though.