PDA

View Full Version : Puritan Values or MBA Values?

Nachtengel
Sunday, May 2nd, 2010, 09:20 PM
Kenneth Hopper and William Hopper -- The Christian Science Monitor

... It was our falling away from Puritan values in the 1970s that sowed the seeds of destruction. This [Puritan] migration endowed the Bay Colony of Massachusetts with four core beliefs: (1) a conviction that the purpose of life, however vaguely conceived, was to establish the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth; (2) an aptitude for the exercise of mechanical skills; (3) a moral outlook that subordinated the interests of the individual to the group; and (4) an ability to assemble and use financial, material, and human resources to a single purpose, on a massive or a lesser scale. These four beliefs created a powerhouse.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20100408/cm_csm/292624

Ediruc
Sunday, May 2nd, 2010, 09:53 PM
At one point the Anglo-Saxon Puritans maintained a utopia, albeit, copying to a degree from the Judaic society of the OT, and having English law mixed in. It just went to show how perfect we Anglo-Saxons are when left to ourselves. Then eventually, after America became a nation, their utopia faded, only to slowly become replaced by the degenerate society we have today.

Ĉmeric
Sunday, May 2nd, 2010, 10:28 PM
The Puritan values worked well for America (not sure if they would have work elswhere) we should return to them.

I know many persons compare (traditional) American values (based on Reformtion & Calvinist Christianity) to Judaism, because much of it is based on the Old Testament. But I think a distinction need to be made between ancient Hebraic values (OT) & the contemporary post-exile Jewish values, which is what replaced the Puritan Values.

Ediruc
Tuesday, May 4th, 2010, 12:46 AM
The Puritan values worked well for America (not sure if they would have work elswhere) we should return to them.

I know many persons compare (traditional) American values (based on Reformtion & Calvinist Christianity) to Judaism, because much of it is based on the Old Testament. But I think a distinction need to be made between ancient Hebraic values (OT) & the contemporary post-exile Jewish values, which is what replaced the Puritan Values.

Of course this utopia I speak of was more influenced by the homogeneity of the WASP population.