PDA

View Full Version : Iceland Bans Strip Clubs: Could This Happen In The U.S.?

Hersir
Tuesday, March 30th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Some people are claiming that Iceland, with its openly gay prime minister and high number of female politicians, is the most feminist country in the world. And this news seems only to bolster their claims. Earlier this week, Iceland passed a law that will ban all strip clubs and make it illegal for any business to "profit from the nudity of its employees." So that means no topless waitresses, either. Hooters franchises in Iceland are history.

Kolbrún Halldórsdóttir, the politician who first proposed the ban, firmly told the national press on Wednesday: "It is not acceptable that women or people in general are a product to be sold."

With these incredibly heartening sentiments, it's natural to speculate on what would have to happen to make a law like this pass in the United States. But as Irin points out on Jezebel, it's unlikely, at least in the near future. Some people have suggested that the women's movement has had enormous success in Iceland because of their crippling economic crisis. In a piece in Vanity Fair, Michael Lewis wrote:

"One of the distinctive traits about Iceland's disaster, and Wall Street's, is how little women had to do with it. Women worked in the banks, but not in the risktaking jobs.... A few days before [Lewis met a rare female banker] for instance, she heard banging on the front door early one morning and opened it to discover a little old man. "I'm so fed up with this whole system," he said. "I just want some women to take care of my money.""

Will the U.S. need a devastating economic crash before we come to the same conclusion? I certainly hope not - but at the same time, it's hard to imagine our legislature passing something so, well, unequivocally feminist.

Source http://www.care2.com/causes/womens-rights/blog/iceland-bans-strip-clubs/

Old Winter
Tuesday, March 30th, 2010, 02:55 AM
The feminists in my land are weird, i never hear them want to close these kind of things, i see them supporting prostitution etc.

Anyway, this is good for conservative people, and even for Nationalists (depends on what kind of Nationalism you follow).

Ediruc
Tuesday, March 30th, 2010, 03:50 AM
I really doubt it that strip clubs would be banned in the US.

EQ Fighter
Tuesday, March 30th, 2010, 04:39 AM
"I'm so fed up with this whole system," he said. "I just want some women to take care of my money."

LOL!

I say let the feminist have control of HIS money, especially considering they are now and always have been the foolish proxies of the Globalist.

I am sorry, I find it very hard to feel sorry for people that perpetuate stupidity on themselves then blame others. :thumbdown

GroeneWolf
Tuesday, March 30th, 2010, 04:32 PM
The feminists in my land are weird, i never hear them want to close these kind of things, i see them supporting prostitution etc.

Indeed, ironically the greatest voices against prostitution in the Netherlands are from politicians who where prostitutes themselves. They know what it is about. Much better then those who consume their services.

Linda Trostenhatten
Monday, April 19th, 2010, 04:28 PM
now here is a very surprising story

young men especially oppose new law

according to a survey made by MMR (never heard of it before) 70 % of men under 30 oppose the law but in all 54,1 support the new law against 45,9

76 % of women support but only 33 % of men. older people more in support
only 44 % percent under 30 support

the law will take effect july 1

http://visir.is/article/20100419/FRETTIR01/635014644

SaxonCeorl
Friday, April 23rd, 2010, 10:59 PM
This is a slap in the face to freedom and independent choice. If people want to be naked and make money from it, they should be allowed to. And here I thought Europe wasn't so prudish about sex and nudity...

BPP Commissioner
Saturday, April 24th, 2010, 10:30 AM
What do you expect from a country that elected a Lesabian, capitulated to a bunch of Jewish Banks and is trying to sell itself down the river to the EU!

I don't like Strip Clubs as I regard them as a symbol of Urban Decadance and dislike the 'raunch' that attracts leery Paki's but it is a symptom of the societies problems not the cause of it...

Ragnar Lodbrok
Saturday, May 1st, 2010, 07:16 PM
What do you expect from a country that elected a Lesabian, capitulated to a bunch of Jewish Banks and is trying to sell itself down the river to the EU!

I don't like Strip Clubs as I regard them as a symbol of Urban Decadance and dislike the 'raunch' that attracts leery Paki's but it is a symptom of the societies problems not the cause of it...

Why complain so much and complain as to the reason that someone does something? If the Icelandic people see nothing wrong with choosing someone who outlaws something as pointless and stupid as the strip club then its their rightful choice. Young guys overthere will be less likely to have their college, career or finacial ambitions distracted from them by a bunch of tasteless chums who drag them to club to waste time and money on some struggling, single mom of a bimbo.

Drottin
Saturday, May 1st, 2010, 11:47 PM
Great law! Stripping is demeaning, cheap and shameful. A country that is proud of its own people prohibits stripping. Much of this activity is controlled by criminals and strippers are often drug addicts or girls who have low self-esteem. And with poor education.

The community has a responsibility to give these girls self-esteem and education. Stripping has nothing to do with freedom. Do you really think the girls like to look at pigs and weaklings who drool over them?

Dropkick
Saturday, May 1st, 2010, 11:57 PM
I'd ban it too however it sounds like the feminists are only looking out for the women. It's bad for men too. It's sad that men go to these places get drunk and throw away hard earned money because a naked woman danced in front of them.

Witta
Sunday, May 2nd, 2010, 12:00 AM
Oy vey i dont know this sounds anti semitic to me

Ragnar Lodbrok
Monday, May 3rd, 2010, 08:23 PM
Oy vey i dont know this sounds anti semitic to me

It would wouldn't it. :)

BPP Commissioner
Thursday, May 6th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Why complain so much and complain as to the reason that someone does something? If the Icelandic people see nothing wrong with choosing someone who outlaws something as pointless and stupid as the strip club then its their rightful choice. Young guys overthere will be less likely to have their college, career or finacial ambitions distracted from them by a bunch of tasteless chums who drag them to club to waste time and money on some struggling, single mom of a bimbo.

Surely we are entitled the question the motive though, given its a Lesbo running the show...

perkuns
Thursday, May 6th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Ach! There goes my weekend.