PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite 'Hippie' Song?

+Suomut+
Wednesday, June 9th, 2004, 09:32 PM
What's Your Favorite 'hippie' Song? Yes, I admit it, I like quite a bit of 'hippie music' from the '60s; :D even though I have very little in common with that 'subculture/movement' (past, present, future); but I'm one of the first to admit that esp. back in the '60s there were a whole lot of GOOD! musicians involved in it. I'm not really sure what my personal favorite hippie song is, but I've really been getting into this song "Bluebird" by "Buffalo Springfield" the past few days. Of course, B. Springfield ultimately resulted in "Crosby, Stills, & Nash;" who were arguably the #1 hippie band of all time...I love C. S. N. music, BTW :D ...it's good music for sitting down with acoustic-guitars and singing. ;)

Bluebird (with chords and all! hehe):
D
G G/B D
Listen to my bluebird laugh
G G/B D
She can't tell you why
G G/B D
Deep within her heart you see
C G/B D C G/B D C G/B D
She knows only cryin', just cryin', yeah

There she sits, a lofty perch
Strangest color blue
Flying is forgotten now
She thinks only of you, just you, awww

D
So get all those blues, must be a thousand hues
C G/B
And each is differently used, you just know
D
You sit there mesmorized by the depth of her eyes
C G/B
If you could catagorize, she got soul
C G/B C G/B D
She got soul, she got soul, she got soul

RIFF 1

RIFF 2 (during lyrics)
Do you think she loves you
Do you think at all?

SOLO (stop, RIFF 3, stop again, begin with banjo)

Soon she's going to fly away
Sadness is her own
Fill herself a bath of tears
And go home, and go home

RIFF 1: RIFF 2:
http://www.thebuffalospringfield.com/images/springfield1.jpg
http://www.thebuffalospringfield.com/images/FWIWcover_s.jpg

Johannes de León
Wednesday, June 9th, 2004, 09:55 PM
to be honest i was never really into hippie songs...
not sure if it is or not (at least in the live video there were many hippies watching) but i like Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd, an amazing 5 min guitar solo!

Turificator
Wednesday, June 9th, 2004, 10:34 PM
'White Rabbit' by Jefferson Airplane!
Great lyrics for trippers, young and old! ;)

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small,
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all.
Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall.

And if you go chasing rabbits
And you know you're going to fall,
Tell 'em a hookah smoking caterpillar
Has given you the call.
Call Alice
When she was just small.

When the men on the chessboard
Get up and tell you where to go
And you've just had some kind of mushroom
And your mind is moving slow.
Go ask Alice
I think she'll know.

When logic and perportion
Have fallen her sloppy dead,
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's "off with her head"
And Remember what the doormouse said:
"Feed your head. Feed your head.

+Suomut+
Thursday, June 10th, 2004, 07:24 AM
'White Rabbit' by Jefferson Airplane!
Great lyrics for trippers, young and old! ;)I hear ya'! man. LOL hehe I really 'dig' that diddy myself! Well, I have to admit, I really 'dig' Grace Slick too!!! :-O She just had/has SO MUCH INTENSITY to her!!! :| ...and I LOVE! INTENSITY!!! hehe Did you hear of how some dude was causing her trouble at her doorstep a few years back and she then STUCK!!! a SHOTGUN!!! in the man's FACE!!! :rocket LMAO LOL I LOVE IT!!! LMAO LOL Now, THAT'S MY KINDA' WOMAN!!!! hehehe :D Grace YOU GO GIRL!!! LMAO LOL hehe ...sing that song too while you're at it!!! ;)

http://www.starship.pp.se/gallery/ra/graceslick.gifhttp://www.starship.pp.se/gallery/ra/JeffersonAirplane.sm.jpeg

Turificator
Thursday, June 10th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Yeah, I really looooooove that woman's voice. Plus, she's really got attitude! :)

pearl
Thursday, June 10th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Although the "hippie" movement was many years before I was born...I do share an affection for some of the music from that time...From the 60's to early 70's. I don't have any specific songs that are my favorites, but there were a lot of great musicians of that era. I especially like Neil Young (as a solo artist), Simon & Garfunkel (they had the loveliest harmonies), Cream, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Stone Ponies w/Linda Ronstadt and I really liked the Mama's and the Papa's too.:D There's a bunch more ofcourse...but those are a few that I enjoy.

Johannes de León
Thursday, June 10th, 2004, 10:51 AM
is More Than a Feeling, by Boston, a hippie song? perhaps not because if i am not wrong their debut album dates from 1976...

Allenson
Thursday, June 10th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Hmmm...tough one Suomut. I do very much like CSN as well as Neil Young....however, the Grateful Dead have always been one of my favorite bands. :)

+Suomut+
Friday, June 11th, 2004, 06:25 AM
...not sure if it is or not (at least in the live video there were many hippies watching) but i like Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd, an amazing 5 min guitar solo!You raise a good question, Johannes de León...should a band like L. Skynyrd be considered 'Hippie.' I think most folks, esp. younger folks in the modern sense wouldn't think of them (and all of the other bands of similar genre) as being 'hippie.' But, back in the day, during the ORIGINAL L. Skynyrd (1970s) in the American South said band and all of the others of said genre really WERE! considered to be 'Hippie' in the eyes of White, Socially-Conservative Southerners (who were the majority group among White Southerners). Nowadays, most all over consider L. Sky. and others like them to be "Southern Rock" moreso than "Hippie Music." I'm one of those who deems them (and others) to be both, although "Southern Rockers" are FAR LESS 'Hippie' in my mind than other groups such as C. S. N., Buffalo Springfield, The Grateful Dead, et al. GOOD OBSERVATION of Skynyrd, though!!!...yeah, I've seen old Skynyrd videos myself, the ones from the '70s, yep, MANY A HIPPIE! in the crowd!!! LOL ;)

Yeah, I really looooooove that woman's voice. Plus, she's really got attitude! :)I DITO! you on both parts!!! hehe It really was a SHAME! that Grace Slick kinda' got pushed into the background with the rise of Jefferson Starship in the '70s...but band had some AWESOME male singers in it...and also that band really wasn't a 'hippie' band anymore by that point in time.

Although the "hippie" movement was many years before I was born...I do share an affection for some of the music from that time...From the 60's to early 70's. I don't have any specific songs that are my favorites, but there were a lot of great musicians of that era. I especially like Neil Young (as a solo artist), Simon & Garfunkel (they had the loveliest harmonies), Cream, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Stone Ponies w/Linda Ronstadt and I really liked the Mama's and the Papa's too.:D There's a bunch more ofcourse...but those are a few that I enjoy.I was born ('67) right during the THICK! of the hippie movement myself, so I don't remember much of it myself!!! LOL My mom claims to have 'kinda' been one, but she really wasn't. LOL Aye, that was some GOOD MUSIC indeed...I mean it's still played on radio stations for the masses, so that's a testament to just how GOOD!! all of that music really was. Neil Young was a geniune hippie (see above); Sim. & Gar. weren't IMO being essentially 'Pop-Rock' musicians; Cream wasn't hippie either IMO being more in the genre of 'Hard-Rock' (I LOVE Cream, BTW); C.C.R. could easily be considred hippie ;) ; I'm not too knowledgable of the Stone Ponies w/L. R. but if I recall correctly they were hippie too...I consider their song "Different Drum" to be very much HIPPIE! (I like quite a bit of L. R.'s music BTW); the M. and Papas, of course, were HARDCORE hippies!! LOL (I love M. & P. music too). Yeah, there are a lot of other hippie groups esp. in the '60s but quite a few of 'em were lesser known to most folks....there's a hellova lot of bands that even I don't know about. Good post! :)

is More Than a Feeling, by Boston, a hippie song? perhaps not because if i am not wrong their debut album dates from 1976...Nah, Johannes de León, both the song and the band are not Hippie...'Boston' was a Hard Rock band. ;)

Hmmm...tough one Suomut. I do very much like CSN as well as Neil Young....however, the Grateful Dead have always been one of my favorite bands. :)Yeah, man, it is TOUGH to decide on one's FAVORITE! Aye, CSN is AWESOME! Now to Neil Young...I HATE!!!! that <expletive> <expletive> since his "Southern Man" is one of the most ANTI-SOUTHERN WHITE FOLKS; ANTI-EUROPID-RACIAL songs of all time (Ronnie Van Zant of L. S. addresses this in their "Sweet Home Alabama ;) ). That song of his gets played on the stations here in the South from time-to-time and I always wonder WHO THE HELL!!!!!!!!!!!! is requesting the Godd#mned thing (man, everytime I hear it come on with the first few notes...I change stations!)!!! I could keep on bitching on and on about N. Young; but I'll spare y'all the RAGE!!!! LMAO LOL ;) Anyhow, that all being said, and besides that one song, I LOVE! most of the man's music. 'Cinnamon Girl'; 'Old Man'; 'Ohio' (even though I HATE!!! the message--LEFTIST!!!!!!!!!!!); etc., etc. Man, I was even jamming out tonight on the way to work with his "Keep On Rockin' in the Free World!" LMAO LOL ;) That's not a hippie song, though, LOL...more 'Hard Rock'-like.

AngryPotato
Friday, June 11th, 2004, 06:47 AM
The Nancy Sinatra songs that I've heard I've liked. I'm not really into the whole tree hugging scene. She has a very weird look to her. Something racially or sexually out of balance.

http://www.finemanfilms.com/tal/images/nancysinatra1.jpg

+Suomut+
Friday, June 11th, 2004, 09:16 AM
The Nancy Sinatra songs that I've heard I've liked. I'm not really into the whole tree hugging scene. She has a very weird look to her. Something racially or sexually out of balance.Man, A.P., N. Sinatra was no Hippie! (at least from what I know) LOL ;) She don't look all that bad! ;)

Tricknologist
Saturday, July 10th, 2004, 09:55 PM
I have to admit, I'm a big Grateful Dead fan. A WN DeadHead. :D

Phlegethon
Saturday, July 10th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Creedence Clearwater Revival and Jimi Hendrix weren't bad either.