PDA

View Full Version : Not Native? Then Leave Reserve, Mohawks Say

Nachtengel
Friday, February 5th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Katherine Wilton, Canwest News Service, February 3, 2010

The Kahnawake reserve on Montreal’s South Shore has issued eviction notices to 25 residents, saying they are not native enough to remain there.

About 25 non-natives—mostly white people involved in relationships with Mohawks—are being asked to leave the reserve within 10 days because Mohawk law does not allow them to live in the community, said Joe Delaronde, spokesman for the Mohawk Council of Kahnawake.

“They are people with no native ancestry at all,” Mr. Delaronde said in an interview yesterday. According to Mohawk law, non-aboriginals have no residency rights.

About 7,500 Mohawks live on the reserve.

Band council chiefs began hand-delivering the strongly worded letter on Monday and continued yesterday.

“There have been numerous complaints regarding individuals contravening Mohawk law by residing in the Mohawk territory of Kahnawake without a right to do so. You were identified in these complaints,” the letter says.

The eviction letter tells non-natives they have 10 days to leave the reserve: “We trust that you understand the seriousness of this letter and that you will govern yourselves accordingly.”

If the non-natives can’t move by the deadline, they must contact the band council to make further arrangements, Mr. Delaronde said.

“We are not heartless,” he added. “We know that not everyone has a brother or a parent in [nearby] Chateauguay they can stay with.”

In a news release on the band council’s website, Grand Chief Michael Delisle said: “Every single Kahnawake Mohawk knows the law. It is unfortunate that some people have chosen to disregard the community’s wishes.”

In 1981, the community announced a moratorium on mixed marriages, which meant that non-natives who married Mohawks after that year would no longer have the right to live on the reserve. Any non-native who had married a Mohawk before the moratorium is still permitted to live on the reserve.

In the 1980s, some Mohawks contested the policy before the human rights tribunal, but lost. The courts have ruled that Mohawks can make any membership policy they deem necessary for their survival as a people.

“We are very concerned about protecting our identity because at a certain point, the Canadian government will look at us and say: ‘You are not even Indians,’” Mr. Delaronde said. “We are very proud of our heritage and protective about it. We don’t have a whole hell of a lot of it left. This is part of revitalizing the community.”

The band council decided to act after receiving complaints from natives who feel that too many non-natives are living on the reserve.

“We are responding to what the community wants,” Mr. Delaronde said.

Although Mohawk law says that non-natives can’t live on the reserve, they are allowed to visit and stay overnight, he explained.

“Sleeping over or staying for a week is a whole different situation,” he said.

Mr. Delaronde said he hopes that the non-natives accept the wishes of the community and leave peacefully. If they refuse to move, their names will be “published locally,” he said.

“I know that’s not a nice thing, but if people refuse, names will be published and then it becomes a peer pressure thing.”

http://www.amren.com/mtnews/archives/2010/02/not_native_then.php

Ragnar Lodbrok
Saturday, February 6th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Unlike the rest of Canada the Mohawks have the right idea.

Curator
Saturday, February 6th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Unfortunately, said idea is only applied to white people.

JerryMcDonald
Saturday, February 6th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Unfortunately, said idea is only applied to white people.

exactly, if only we could do the same for people in England and germany huh?

Gardisten
Sunday, February 7th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Yes, if whites did such a thing it would be racist and unconstitutional. The irony is, that traditionally Indian cultures would adopt anything and everything--captive whites, escaped slaves--into their societies, while Anglo-Saxon society was highly exclusive. Now the situation is reversed, and the Canadian courts and government are willing to allow it to happen. So it really does seem that our leftist system is passively supporting the balkanization of Canada with the creation of race-based petty states. What the government seems to be saying is that any (supposedly) homogeneous group that concentrates in a specific region, arms itself to the teeth, and displays a propensity to resist any attempt by the government impose conformity and order, has a chance at self-government and self-determination. That our government would be willing to cave in to such groups shows just how weak that it really has become.

rainman
Sunday, February 7th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I like the Indian model. If only the government could grant such status to white populations. They have some degree of autonomy but still under U.S. jurisdiction in other ways. I think with enough money and political power it could be done. A white "natve" group with their own territory, laws etc.

You have to remember a lot of natives died fighting for these rights. Some natives surrendered peacefuly but a lot who kept fighting the government is one of the main reasons they got so many concessions (even though the ones who fought were mostly killed).

DominionsWolf
Sunday, February 7th, 2010, 06:20 PM
What do you think should be done with the Natives? This can't be blamed on immigration, obviously, they were here first. So is integration the key? Or encouraging of natives to create their own self sufficient societies? This issue has always been of interest to me.

Ragnar Lodbrok
Sunday, February 7th, 2010, 10:45 PM
What do you think should be done with the Natives? This can't be blamed on immigration, obviously, they were here first. So is integration the key? Or encouraging of natives to create their own self sufficient societies? This issue has always been of interest to me.

self sufficient societies of course with localistic self-government.

Ediruc
Monday, February 8th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Why should we care about what Native Americans want or think? We've already let them live on their reservations and integrate into our societies and population. What more could they want?

Vikingland
Monday, February 8th, 2010, 12:41 PM
well then

offer a solution instead of provoking 10,000 germanics to agree, or is that all you were looking for?
By all means i agree.
I'll stand with you and tell the Mohawks that, but I hope your armed, cause they are.

What more do they want? If you need to ask that, you have a narrow perspective on tribalism, cause they just want what we took, back.

Can you blame them?

Gardisten
Monday, February 8th, 2010, 02:51 PM

I would say that the Natives are working towards self-determination, but as it stands many of these groups could never be self-sufficient societies. Some of course are sitting on natural resources which would make them wealthy (in a few cases already have) but due to geographic and environmental constraints, they will always need (what's left of Canada) until they can find some other tit to suck on. I believe that Native leaders tend to view Canada as the lest of the evils that they could be dependent upon, but at the same time would happily see Canada disintegrate so that they can go back to living the supposedly idyllic pre-Contact hunter-gatherer way of life. Regardless of what kind of spin is put on it, if a group or groups of people is given increasing power in terms of self-governance and are being given huge sums of money by a dominant society that is losing jurisdiction and is financially going down the drain, there is no other conclusion that can be drawn other than the fact that the dominant society is disintegrating. Natives will always demand more and don't care about the consequences that this will have on the rest of Canada. It doesn't matter what treaties have been made, or what compensation they receive; every generation or two, they will simply cook up some scheme for extorting more money from the government. This is exactly what is happening in southern BC where an extinct group of "Natives" suddenly re-emerged and wanted a land claims agreement.

DominionsWolf
Monday, February 8th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I read an article somewhere on the problem of Archeological societies finding grave sites, or other artifacts, which are then claimed by the tribe of the area. An example was given of a site dated to about 8000 BC, which was claimed by the local tribe. However, the tribe could not be traced back further than about 2000 BC, when it is suspected they first arrived in the area.

Gardisten
Wednesday, February 10th, 2010, 04:05 PM
It occurred to me that one day whilst flipping past APTN there was a documentary about this kind of thing. Some woman who was, I believe, 37% Mohawk was told that she's not an Indian, and she was droning on about how she considered herself to be Mohawk. Indians like to make themselves out to be just and tolerant, but now the truth is coming to light. Chuck Strahl was in the news yesterday talking about what's happening and that he's not liking what he sees; but he flat out states that the Mohawks are not bound by the Charter (yet Indians use the Charter to push their agenda). So there you have it again: the two-tier system at work.

hodekin
Wednesday, February 10th, 2010, 05:02 PM
As unpalatable as it may be, one only holds that which one is strong enough or determined enough to hold. When one becomes weak or dispirited, then there are no rights for anyone or anything.

Be it us, the Mohawks or anyone else, we can only hope to hold that which can be matched to our strength and determination.

Might is right. It’s the Law of Survival.

hodekin