PDA

View Full Version : The Hollow 2000's: Triumph of Nihilism or the Quiet Before the Storm?

Thorburn
Monday, February 1st, 2010, 02:45 PM
Looking back on the years 2000 to 2009, one is, above all, confronted by the absence of any event, movement or consciousness which would have seized the window of opportunity and would have created lasting foundations to change the world for the better in the decades to come. Nothing, absolutely nothing possessed both the fortitude and potency to alter the determination of the Western man and inspired him to form a brighter, fairer or more beautiful future. The last decade wasn't even characterized by the culmination of nihilism -- land, ho! -- no, the Western man couldn't even muster the strength and understanding to embrace and appreciate nihilistic values. The last ten years were characterized by the absence of everything. An occasional cock-a-doodle-doo belonged to the most exciting incidents.

What did the last ten years have to offer? A liberal, egalitarian, unwordly, pseudo-democratic doctrine which chokes on its own hypocrisy but sadly scotches all hope to any order which could harmonically unite nature and man as a geisteswesen by its saucy propaganda which becomes ever more effective due to the modern mass media: a network of nearly endless indoctrination methods on which no tyrant or dictator of the past could ever rely; and by ever more impudent and totalitarian surveillance from which nobody can escape.

A few imperialist strikes against the last remaining party poopers like the war against Iraq whose historical significance will equal the occupation of Nicaragua. Rigmaroles and palaver about making the world save for freedom and democracy.

The USSR or the USA or both of them founded another department for "Homeland Security." They enacted a "Patriot Act" which suspends all constitutional rights and civil liberties, those granted to the own citizens included; but, fortunately, the act applies only to terrorists, i.e. "the enemies of democracy and freedom." "Democracy and freedom" are in turn guaranteed by suspending these very constitutional rights and civil liberties. Does it make sense to you? Many things don't make sense for a long, long time in Afghanistan or Absurdistan or both of them, as you know, but, so we are told, we can all sleep safely now.

On the home front, both the Americans and the Europeans have been convinced that the current demographic developments which will make them (or made them already) a minority in their own towns and countries are completely "natural," "irreversible" and "unavoidable." As if all the non-European immigrants would arrive on flying carpets which are faster than our interceptor planes. And as if the INS would be a club of 90 year-old blind men. If one subtracts them kikes, them camel jockeys, them curry munchers, them ragheads, them chonkies, them spics posing as dagos and whoever else is nowadays classified as "white" by the feds, them crackas are probably already a minority in the U.S. Hard to believe that they were almost a 90% majority still 50 years ago. By then lived, by the way, significantly more yanks and rednecks in the U.S. than jerries and krauts live in Germany today.

But let there be no misapprehension: There were always times during the history of man where certain political parameters or general conditions forced men to devote their creative energy to less spectacular and more ordinary fields which didn't reshape the world like a thunderstorm: these men dedicated themselves to the fine arts, architecture, the sciences, or philosophy instead; the latter, being commonly too sophisticated and quixotic for "the powers that be" igniting and bequeathing a spark which, caught by the next generation, eventually kindled a fire and a weltenbrand which refreshed the tree of liberty. Sadly, nothing even remotely resembling any ingenuity in thought could be observed within the last ten years.

Let's take music just as one example and just because I stumbled a few minutes ago over the topic: Yes, I know, there will be many who witness a cultural decline over the last centuries and who will argue one cannot compare a Mozart, a Beethoven or a Bach ("... who were all huns, isn't it ironic? And the Lakers beat the Supersonic!") with some modern rock or pop bands in the first place. And they have a good point. But let's forget this for a second.

I surfed into a page today which listed the best albums of every decade since the 50's. The fifties had at least its Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley; the 60's the Beatles, Bob Dylan, and Van Morrison; the 70's David Bowie, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, and -- beat me! -- The Sex Pistols; the 80's AC/DC, Metallica, U2, and the Cure; the 90's Nirvana, R.E.M., and -- beat me again! -- Eminem; but the 2000's? Anastacia? Rihanna? It's pathetic.

The page listed by the way an album called "30 No. 1 hits by Elvis Presley" as one of the best albums of the 2000's.

Another interesting tidbit: I spoke to a 16 year old Germanic suburban rap kid a few days ago to what he is listening? He replied: "Dr. Dre, 2Pac, Nas, WuTang, Ice Cube ... ya know, I'm old-school." Hey, the boy wasn't even born when D.R.E. recorded 'The Chronic.'

Not that no rap would have been produced in the 2000's. On the contrary, the market was flooded with more rap than ever before and today hardly an hour passes without a rap on MTV, too -- but even for people who like an occasional rap the post-2000 artists are with a few exceptions (like Apathy who possesses a nearly poetic lexis) pure commercialized (c)rap.

What's my conclusion if there is any? I have none. I could carry on and repeat how few gems have been produced in the last decade in literature, architecture, the sciences (at least they have five different TOE's now with nearly a dozen of dimensions just to make the maths come out), but in the end I can just repeat the thesis: the first decade of this millennium stands out thanks to the absence of nearly anything of genuine value. It wasn't even a decade of nihilism, because nihilism would have required too much thought. It was just emptiness. Nothingness.

If time had existed before the universe came into existence, maybe that's exactly how it would have felt a few moments before the Big Bang? I reckon a catalytic event of similar dimensions would be our only hope.

PS. Which evil script is "correcting" my affectionately and merely ironically meant "racial slurs"? :D

Mjölnir
Monday, February 1st, 2010, 03:45 PM
A very simple Answer to all of them you wrote is, there was no critical Mass for revolution in the last 20 years. Okay, a few guy's with good Ideals, and also right looking arguments, but none of those had been revolted against whatever, Politic, Music, Inspiration, Literature, Physic, an much more other Things who need a revolutionary Inspiration and a free Mind.

That is what i called brain washed People, but don't resign, it's just you said perfectly 100% "the Quiet before the Storm". Look back in the 80's or 90's in the last century. You have no Internet, no shit of Handys, or something else, ok, MTV!:D;) But that was all...

Most of me an you here in the Ostmark have 2 Programms just called FS 1 and FS 2, new named ORF 1 and 2. Just to the age of 15 i didn't know, have, looked ever, Sat 1 or something else. Ey, i don't missed it!:D

What i will say with all of this is, the Humans are in a Trance. They see the magical canals, use their life in Front of the PC, and all other is "CONSUME" Day & Night!

So, tell yourself the question again, what need they "Revolution in MIND"? They consume, that is all what they do.

M.:thumbup

Siebenbürgerin
Monday, February 1st, 2010, 04:42 PM
Hmm, everyone awaited the 2000's with great enthusiasm, a beginning of a new millennium and many changes, but there's a disappointment and disillusion in my view. It's not only the current artistic world, even the old artists adopt new styles to be up to date with the market demand. For example even TV stars who used to have a conservative style and wear sober clothing switched to revealing styles. In music, the talent and musical ear isn't so important anymore. The physical aspect is more important, you've to be summarly dressed and make provocative moves in your musicvideos if you want to reach high levels. You've to renounce your intimity and let cameras in your apartment as Big Brother style reality shows do. You've to paint Picasso style and not immortalise a piece of nature because that's thought as boring and antiquated.

The peoples seem to enjoy the 2000's style. Because everyone is free and democracy is the best form of government in the eyes of the peoples. They think other eras are antiquated and the current situation mustn't be changed, if it's not broken it doesn't need fixing. However, I'm not thinking a storm is out of the question. ;) Even if we're lacking big events to enter history books (although today I'm even seeing TV presenters in history books :nope) there is still some opposition. The opposition to Islam in Europe, the tea parties and secessionist movement in the USA and so forth. :)

Aeternitas
Tuesday, February 2nd, 2010, 02:53 PM
I dunno, maybe it needs to get worse before it can get any better. Yeah, many ppl don't think there is much of a problem with the kind of world we live in today, and I think this is one of the most dangerous traits of Western "democracies". Sort of like Goethe said, "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

The average person whose world view is a product of the mass media propaganda would call you insane if you compared the USA with the USSR, or the FRG with the GDR or NS Germany - in Europe the situation is not so different. People will hold the standard speech against NS Germany, or about how terrible it was under GDR communism, and how awesome it is now in contrast that all these oppressive regimes and their measures are gone. What seems to escape these people is that the very things they condemn about these regimes - political imprisonment, reeducation, lack of freedom of speech and book "Inquisitions", Gestapo and Stasi-like surveillance methods, ethnic cleansing, etc., are happening right under their noses. Imprisoning people for "nazi" views, observation of "anti-constitutional" activities, torture prisons operated in Eastern Europe, inviting millions of Africans and Muslims to make Europe their home and populate it with their offspring, and so on.

The average Joe is more than willing to buy the propaganda that surrendering a bit of one's privacy and liberty for the sake of safety is a good idea. He doesn't think it's a violation of his rights at all. I mean, after all, why would he have something to hide, right? It's the same regarding freedom of expression. Popular opinion doesn't need protection, it's the unpopular one that does. As long as the average Joe holds the opinion that everything is fine and dandy, he has nothing to fear, surely.

I recall a thread here about what crimes one would accuse one's current politicians of, or smth like that, and several ppl mentioned ethnocide/genocide. The average Joes I talk to outside of this forum would say to that, it must be a sick joke, cause no matter how bad the current politicians are, they're not like Hitler and Stalin, i.e. they don't put minorities in camps and gulags to exterminate them.

The other issue is, why there is no notable event and such, that there are few to no notable ppl or organizations to conduct such an event. Even the nationalist/right-wing parties and their politicians are subservient to at least one of the influential elements of the establishment, e.g. they support assimilation and integration of foreigners, they accept Muslims as long as they give up their dress and minarets. Occasionally, when someone makes a too controversial statement, they get the police stateson their back, like it happened to Geert Wilders, John Gudenus (http://forums.skadi.net/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikip edia.org%2Fwiki%2FJohn_Gudenus) or Susanne Winter (http://forums.skadi.net/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikip edia.org%2Fwiki%2FSusanne_Winter) and other names which escape me atm.

However I don't think it means all is lost. One would think that under the communist regime too, yet after 40 years something changed and to many it came unexpectedly.

Lastly, smth regarding the Internet... Yeah, in the 80's and 90's the Internet didn't play as big a role, but today it does and it has an advantage the traditional media (like newspapers for example) don't have: it's much cheaper to "produce" smth online and to spread it, and it is largely anonymous, if one knows how to make use of this option.

Resist
Wednesday, February 3rd, 2010, 10:32 AM
What i will say with all of this is, the Humans are in a Trance. They see the magical canals, use their life in Front of the PC, and all other is "CONSUME" Day & Night!

So, tell yourself the question again, what need they "Revolution in MIND"? They consume, that is all what they do.
Very true, and usually the products they consume are poor quality. Hamburgers from McDonalds and frozen pizzas have won over traditional, home cooked meals. The 2000's are so hollow because these generations have become extremely lazy and unhealthy, couch potatoes. Children's minds remain latent, in stand by mode, outdoor activities have been replaced by watching mediocre TV shows and series, playing video and computer games. It is no wonder the generations of the 2000's are less productive than the ones before them.

Bärin
Thursday, February 18th, 2010, 11:11 PM
The 2000's are dominated by greedy capitalism, the ideology of money worship. Nobody cares anymore about quality, just quantity. Look at the garbage, the joke that is sold as art. It makes you want to vomit. And what's on TV. Disgusting degeneration and decadence, for the mediocre. And what's in supermarkets. The food is unhealthy, mass produced, to be as much as possible, it's not natural anymore, and made to last as long as possible, even sold beyond expiration. Immigrants breed like rabbits and we suddenly need "fresh input" (:oanieyes) from immigrants into Germany because it's aging. Modern women are childfree women, who are disgusted at becoming pregnant because it will ruin their plastic look. What's to admire? :puke