PDA

View Full Version : Proper Spelling, Punctuation and Capitalisation

Resist
Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 06:00 AM
I would like to ask members to make an effort to try to spell properly and use capitalisation and punctuation where necessary, especially if they write in their native language. Unfortunately I noticed many American and some English members write their posts without capitalising the sentences, without punctuation or proper spaces between sentences.

The way we, nationalists/preservationists present ourselves matters to the public. The media writes about nationalists being stupid, ignorant uneducated. Lowbrow spelling and SMS spelling aren't very helpful in dispelling this unfair stereotype.

Perhaps some people write their posts in a hurry, but a few extra seconds spent on the Shift key and the punctuation keys will pay off, believe me. Writing in a correct and tidy manner increases our chances to be taken seriously. I don't think I'm asking for the impossible. I'm no grammar Nazi and I don't demand perfection (I fail at that myself), just more attention paid to the way we write.

The Skadi Rules themselves have a minimum niveau for contributions:

15. Retardism is not permitted. Retardism is contributing little to nothing of value and posting persistently or continually, as far as content, grammar, or spelling is concerned, beneath an intellectual niveau that can be fairly expected from a gifted Germanic teenager that has been exposed to a classical education.

For those who use Mozilla Firefox, there is an integrated spell checker.

Otherwise, I recommend http://www.spellchecker.net/spellcheck/
It works not only for English, but for other languages too.

OneWolf
Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Since this statement is obviously aimed at me.I would like to ask for you to deactivate my account.I will no longer visit this webpage any longer.
I wish you guys all the luck.The idea of the Nordic race is a Teutonic dream.

Nachtengel
Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Since this statement is obviously aimed at me.
Umm...

many American and some English members

I don't think it's such an unreasonable request what he's asking. Some people write so poorly you have to read twice to realize what they're saying, where the sentence starts and ends. Not to mention it's a sign of disrespect towards one's own language. Isn't this about Germanic ethnic, spiritual and cultural preservation?

Anyway, bye. :wave

Resist
Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 07:18 AM
We don't delete/deactivate accounts unfortunately.

This wasn't aimed particularly at you, Lokies Domain. I posted this thread because I've seen many cases lately. All I'm trying to do is advise people for a constructive purpose, not point fingers. Who is doing it is less important. I don't have anything personally against anyone here, I just want to appeal to the understanding and good will of members. I don't think you should leave over something like this. You see, if I believed anyone here was really stupid or unworthy, I wouldn't bother asking for your cooperation to dispel myths about nationalists.

Ward
Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Well, it's a sad commentary on the English-speaking world that so many of its inhabitants can't even come remotely close to writing properly in their native language. It would be irresponsible of Skadi to further enable such cultural deterioration.

However, I have to say that the overall quality of posting on Skadi is much better than most other nationalist forums. This is probably why Skadi is basically the only forum that I give the time of day.

One thing I would recommend, however, is that more attention should be paid to substantiating outlandish claims. This is especially true with respect to claims about Jewish ancestry. Not every scumbag is a Jew. There is plenty of verifiable evidence that Jews have been a plague on our nations, so there's no need to make things up unless we want to further reinforce the public perception that we're a bunch of schizophrenics.

Blod og Jord
Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I'm trying my best to spell correctly. I used to write my messages in notepad first because sometimes downtimes made me lose some messages, so I always save important ones first and because I didn't like the formatting, and they always came up formatted in a weird way. However I solved this problem by turning the WYSIWYG editor off, and I have no more problems with formatting eversince. My messages look normal now. :) I think I improved my English skill a little too, since using Skadi. It's like an exercise.

Huginn ok Muninn
Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I'm trying my best to spell correctly. I used to write my messages in notepad first because sometimes downtimes made me lose some messages, so I always save important ones first and because I didn't like the formatting, and they always came up formatted in a weird way. However I solved this problem by turning the WYSIWYG editor off, and I have no more problems with formatting eversince. My messages look normal now. :) I think I improved my English skill a little too, since using Skadi. It's like an exercise.

I can't say how impressed I am with you and most other non-native English speakers here. The level of accomplishment in the English language amongst you all is very high indeed. You never fail to make yourselves perfectly understood.

OneWolf
Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 11:09 AM
We don't delete/deactivate accounts unfortunately.

This wasn't aimed particularly at you, Lokies Domain. I posted this thread because I've seen many cases lately. All I'm trying to do is advise people for a constructive purpose, not point fingers. Who is doing it is less important. I don't have anything personally against anyone here, I just want to appeal to the understanding and good will of members. I don't think you should leave over something like this. You see, if I believed anyone here was really stupid or unworthy, I wouldn't bother asking for your cooperation to dispel myths about nationalists.

Well I may be guilty of making a few mistakes.I hurry through sentences and paragraphs and I dont always take the time to proof read.
I apologize to anyone I may have offended.I get angry very easily and if someone would have called me a tard to my face, well lets just say I would have dotted someones eye.
With that said,would you guys welcome me back on this message board.If you dont think its a good idea,well then I will go somewhere else.
And another thing is I dont like jews.I think they all need to relinquish control of the banks and the media and go back to hell.

Thusnelda
Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I do my best to use and write the best English I have but it´s still a foreign language to me. So I beg pardon for grammar mistakes or crazy word creations. :D What often kills me is the fact that compound nouns doesn´t exist in English language while they´re a vital part of my native German language.

"Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft" is a funny, but legal german noun. "Donau" is a noun, "Dampfschifffahrt" is a composition of three nouns (Dampf, Schiff, Fahrt) and "Gesellschaft" is a noun as well. If I want to write it in English...my brain begins to smoke! My first try would be "Corporation of steam navigation on the Danube river" but it sounds weired. Sure, proper nouns aren´t translated but it´s only an example. There´re many compound nouns who are no proper nouns and to find a fitting translation occupys me for some time.

Other example: Raketentriebwerk. In English? Rocket propulsion engine. :tired2: Nachttischlämpchen? Bedside lamp. And so on and so on.

Bärin
Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitätenhaupt betriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft :D

Your brain doesn't need to smoke attempting to translate this. You just look them up on Google:

Association for subordinate officials of the head office management of the Danube steamboat electrical services

SaxonPagan
Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I've always found the language to be of a very high standard on this board (as is the level of debate in general) and I can fully appreciate any appeal to cut out sloppiness and maintain such things.

Apart from being important to the way in which we present ourselves to outsiders, I also happen to think that attention to detail and rigorous precision are inherent Germanic traits and therefore worth upholding for this reason alone!

velvet
Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I think I improved my English skill a little too, since using Skadi. It's like an exercise.

A little? You improved A LOT! :thumbup
I was also impressed to see how fast you improved your skills! Wanted to mention that already for a while, so this is the opportunity to :)

Resist, I think this is a good idea to remind people to write a little less sloppy. Sometimes it's really hard to read posts without comma, punctuation and even an absense of grammar :D

Hersir
Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I'm not very good in English, but I think I can get my point across. English is destroying Norwegian language, and I dont like it at all. Teens and adults use English words even when we have a Norwegian counterpart. I wish we could learn about preserving our language from Iceland. It's a long time since I had English in school, but I hope to improve.

Sigurd
Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 06:19 PM
What often kills me is the fact that compound nouns doesn´t exist in English language while they´re a vital part of my native German language.

Yes, indeed. Since English has lost much of its inflection it isn't particularly suited for creating long compounds. It needs to resort to Latin and Greek influence for that who have a more complex morphology.

This breeds creations such as Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanocon iosis, which is a disease of the lungs, caused by inhaling mineral or metallic dust, such as silicon and quartzite. The silicates then lacerate the lining of the lungs, causing the victim to leak air from their lungs while simultaneously bleeding into their lung cavity; a condition affectionately termed P45 in scientific writings. (:D)

Even the longest non-coined and thus organically grown word, Antidisestablishmentarianism, i.e. the movement of those who opposed the separation of the Anglican church from the state in the 19th century, is a clear Latinism.

English has become an Isolated Language, according to Halldór Halldórsson (in studying the creation of neologisms in Icelandic) the ones most suitable for long compounds are Inflected Languages (most Indo-European languages) and Agglutinative Languages (Notably, Finno-Ugric languages). It is hard to say and certainly disputed what the minimum level of inflection is that is needed to create long compounds --- but certainly we can say, that it is a level which is still existent in Swedish or Norwegian, but has already been lost from English.

Certainly, at the time when the variants collectively termed as Old English were spoken, it was still possible to create longer compounds, so the loss of this ability is a clear result of the English language's increasing (and still increasing) poverty in grammatical morphology. German is more flexible here, because it has retained much of its original morphology. :)

Resist
Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 07:17 PM
For the record, since the off-topics went too far and distracted from my original thread aim, I removed them. Please remember this is a Germanic board, concerned with Germanic languages.

My original post was mostly aiming at people who speak English as a native language but write in a poor manner as regards spelling, punctuation and capitalisation.

Resist
Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Well I may be guilty of making a few mistakes.I hurry through sentences and paragraphs and I dont always take the time to proof read.
I apologize to anyone I may have offended.I get angry very easily and if someone would have called me a tard to my face, well lets just say I would have dotted someones eye.
With that said,would you guys welcome me back on this message board.If you dont think its a good idea,well then I will go somewhere else.
I can't speak for everyone, however I would surely welcome you back. As I said, it's nothing personal, I was trying to be constructive. I was certain from the beginning that it's just a matter of writing posts in a hurry, that's why I mentioned it.

And another thing is I dont like jews.I think they all need to relinquish control of the banks and the media and go back to hell.
This isn't a politically correct forum so it's not a problem how you feel. Just expect that some people will agree but others will disagree with your opinions.

Blod og Jord
Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 09:01 PM
A little? You improved A LOT! :thumbup
I was also impressed to see how fast you improved your skills! Wanted to mention that already for a while, so this is the opportunity to :)
Thank you very much. :)

Well I'll ask something since the opportunity is here:
I also speak some German and I'd like to improve it. I posted my opinions in some general threads in the German forum. Is this ok with Germans, if non-Germans who speak your language post there too, I mean it doesn't offend you? I received some positive feedback from some German members, so I want to confirm if it's fine because I want to be courteous. :)
I'm mostly interested in religion and culture threads, which aren't that many.

velvet
Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Thank you very much. :)

Well I'll ask something since the opportunity is here:
I also speak some German and I'd like to improve it. I posted my opinions in some general threads in the German forum. Is this ok with Germans, if non-Germans who speak your language post there too, I mean it doesn't offend you? I received some positive feedback from some German members, so I want to confirm if it's fine because I want to be courteous. :)
I'm mostly interested in religion and culture threads, which aren't that many.

Of course it's okay! :)
Although I can only speak for myself, I'm neither offended nor annoyed. And I think the most people here aren't either ;)

Sometimes I try to post something in Norwegian or Danish threads, but while I understand the most when reading, my active using skills are still quite weak. I hope you Scandinavian people arent offended by that either ;)

Thusnelda
Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Is this ok with Germans, if non-Germans who speak your language post there too, I mean it doesn't offend you?
The opposite is the case: I´m always glad if I see that Non-German speakers use their language skills in practise. :thumbup I´d love to see more non-native German speakers writing their opinions in the German languaged subboard. :)

Sigurd
Tuesday, December 29th, 2009, 10:25 PM
When we will take over the world all people will need to be able to speak German. Learning it sooner rather than later and learning to communicate with your new German overlords is always a bonus. :jk

Jokes aside, of course you're welcome to post in German in the section. There's absolutely nothing wrong with other Germanics wishing to learn our language to communicate with us. In fact, being able to communicate between Germanics also in Germanic languages other than English is a skill I consider essential to Germanic conversation and co-operation, actually one of the more practical reasons I've picked up Linguistics. And you can't improve it if you don't practice it. :)

It also gives me an argument to justify posting every now and again in broken, though soon to be improved again, Swedish in the respective section, so I suppose there's a benefit to be had for all from participating in other regional sections as well when able. :P

Frau Holle
Thursday, December 31st, 2009, 02:38 PM
Thank you, Resist.

Unfortunately, nowadays many people write in a hurry and forget to proof read their entries. It happens all over the Internet. Just because it's the Internet, it doesn't mean everything has to be sloppy. Attention to details is what made Germanics so efficient and productive over the centuries. Let's try to honour that reputation.

Sigurd
Thursday, December 31st, 2009, 04:49 PM
Unfortunately, nowadays many people write in a hurry and forget to proof read their entries.

I do try my absolute best, but sometimes I don't notice in proof-reading if a sentence has unsound syntax. I usually always read over what I've written but the length of my posts along with what is possibly a light form of non-spelling-concerned dyslexia means I can end up not noticing a half-finished sentence or one missing a verb even when going over the whole thing twice or more. :shrug

OneWolf
Thursday, December 31st, 2009, 05:01 PM
I do try my absolute best, but sometimes I don't notice in proof-reading if a sentence has unsound syntax. I usually always read over what I've written but the length of my posts along with what is possibly a light form of non-spelling-concerned dyslexia means I can end up not noticing a half-finished sentence or one missing a verb even when going over the whole thing twice or more. :shrug

Whatever Sigurd.You are one of the smartest individuals I have ever seen.
Your use of the English language is impeccable.

Thusnelda
Friday, January 1st, 2010, 01:07 AM
I usually always read over what I've written but the length of my posts along with what is possibly a light form of non-spelling-concerned dyslexia means I can end up not noticing a half-finished sentence or one missing a verb even when going over the whole thing twice or more. :shrug
Are you serious? :-O Your English performance is perfect, you´re my paragon. If you think your English isn´t flawless...what is mine then? :D