PDA

View Full Version : Non-European Martial Arts

Egeslic
Sunday, December 20th, 2009, 06:06 AM
How do you guys feel about non-european martial arts, such as Muay Thai and Ju Jitsu? Should they be avoided or is it something that can be embraced?

rainman
Sunday, December 20th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Ideally a martial art will run in a family and be adapted for that family. Commercial schools are mainly just a place to go have fun, get a work out, meet people, but especially now days that training is highly "watered down".

You can learn from these styles and adapt it to something that fits you. Most of what is taught as "Asian" martial arts are actually largely European based, only in our racist age anything European is bad and uncool so we give credit to everyone but them.

Example: real asian martial arts are almost 100% memorization. It involves doing techniques in the air, doing forms by oneself etc. Western Martial arts involve mainly just learning through experience and conditioning. You hit a punching bag, you spar a lot with others and just get a "feel" for it etc. In the past western boxer actually beat most of the top asian martial artists (well known in the East but suppressed in the west). The Asians did little conditioning, bag work etc. They couldn't take a hit, didn't hit hard etc. because they did all these techniques that looked really cool but weren't highly effective in a boxing match.

Anyway part of it is that asians are naturally weaker. Asians also are a lot better at agility and memorization- whites better at improving. You go into a modern "karate" class and they are hitting punching bags and doing boxing techniques. So they really aren't pure Asian arts. The most effective arts have learned to combine the two in some measure but these hybrid arts always give credit to the Asian influence and not the western one which is taken for granted.

At any rate most effective arts are essentially the same. The human body is the human body its like doing math- you arrive at the same conclusion. A lot of arts out there are more for show or fun so they vary widely in that respect. But you also have to find something that reflects your own size, build, tendencies etc. For example asians usually train on how to fight a much larger opponent because they are so small. They do a lot of high kicks and different techniques that some big bulky somewhat clumsy redneck might find difficult. At the same time the bulky redneck could probably hit a bag really hard in a way the asian couldn't. Just learn from different sources and make an art that fits you.

Egeslic
Sunday, December 20th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Good post rainman

I agree about learning martial arts from different sources to perfect your own art, I train Muay Thai pretty seriously, and we do a lot of western boxing to compliment it. Muay Thai is relatively stream lined for ring-combat, so it isn't too traditionally asian per se, but there are non-European things that go with it, for example having to bow, hands clasped, as a sign of respect seems asian in origin to me. + it's a sport which is dominated by Thais, the dress, the "Wai Kru" all seem asian and alien to me.

But as you said it's about getting the best out of it that you can, which is important.

Witta
Sunday, December 20th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I have recently downloaded a great series Human Weapon, where two guys try all the martial arts.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=human%20weapon&search=Search&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&spell=1

Japan is not like other asian countries, it is an advanced first world country who's economy and culture produces lots of worthwhile quality stuff. Although I have a respect for japan, I think you should learn European martial arts that capitalise on the power of the short and stocky European physique - martials arts like boxing, wrestling or modern military unarmed combat. The chinese are small and fast which lends itself to kung fu, Europeans are not in general suited to flying, spinning kicks as we are quite stocky.

Out of the far eastern arts Karate is probably most suitable for western fighters because it capitalises on power rather than fancy moves.

Be aware that the throws in far eastern martial arts were developed because punches and kicks were innefective against samurai in armour on the battlefield - that isn't relevant these days people don't walk around in suits of armor.

rainman
Sunday, December 20th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I really take to kung fu pretty nicely. But I'm built pretty skinny. Though my arms and legs are thick. Sometimes some of the postures are a bit uncomfortable because my legs are so thick. For a fat person it would be impossible to do correctly.