PDA

View Full Version : The Name Dilberger

Andrew man
Sunday, December 20th, 2009, 12:16 AM
My mother's side has the last name of Dilberger. I had those relatives fight for Germany in WWII. Now I have searched and searched for the name and soldiers but absoultly nothing because my grandmother doesn't want to give me my family tree for some odd reasons. Can someone help me with the origin of the name Dilberger, maybe what province of Germany it is popular from or if anyone knows of any WWII soldiers by that last name? Thank you very much!

EDIT. Not to be confused with the Jewish surname Dillenberger lol

Josef
Sunday, December 20th, 2009, 08:31 AM
EDIT. Not to be confused with the Jewish surname Dillenberger lol

It's entirely possible that both those names are etymologically identical. In the Middle Ages Jews in Germany (and elsewhere, I assume) tended to either buy or steal surnames, simply because they didn't have any of their own. Happened to my surname, too.

Not that that is of any great help to you, I suppose. ;)

This (http://christoph.stoepel.net/geogen/v3/MapGateway.aspx?name=dilberger&target=DE&renderer=DE_DE&mode=abs) might be more useful. The map shows the distribution of people of your name within the FRG nowadays, based on data from phone books, I believe. As you can see, one might surmise that the name originated in the south.

Dillenberger, on the other hand, looks like this (http://christoph.stoepel.net/geogen/v3/MapGateway.aspx?name=dillenberger&target=DE&renderer=DE_DE&mode=abs).

Sigurd
Sunday, December 20th, 2009, 07:05 PM
There is nothing inherently Jewish about the surname Dillenberger. It is actually the more common spelling thereof, the other version Dilberger, will be a variant.

Dillenberger, by the GeoGen (christoph.stoepel.net/geogen) is particularly common, especially when held against the total population there, in the Rhein-Lahn-Kreis.

So chances are that some ancestor will be roughly from that area, it's not a name spread evenly across the field. It's one that is very concentrated, when that happens it usually increases likelihood that this is where its origin lies.

Dilberger, is, by that page, likewise very concentrated, essentially just in Southern Baden. Again, this is a better result than you could have hoped, because you can pretty much pinpoint it down.

Andrew man
Sunday, December 20th, 2009, 10:38 PM
There is nothing inherently Jewish about the surname Dillenberger. It is actually the more common spelling thereof, the other version Dilberger, will be a variant.

Dillenberger, by the GeoGen (christoph.stoepel.net/geogen) is particularly common, especially when held against the total population there, in the Rhein-Lahn-Kreis.

So chances are that some ancestor will be roughly from that area, it's not a name spread evenly across the field. It's one that is very concentrated, when that happens it usually increases likelihood that this is where its origin lies.

Dilberger, is, by that page, likewise very concentrated, essentially just in Southern Baden. Again, this is a better result than you could have hoped, because you can pretty much pinpoint it down.

Thank you! You say Rhein-Land-Kreis. My German family came from the city of Cologne which I believe is in the Rheinland-Westphalia (sp?)