PDA

View Full Version : Slovaks and Slovenes

runder
Sunday, November 22nd, 2009, 03:14 AM
These two small Western Slavic nations are oft overlooked in discussions of Mitteleuropa. The Slovaks were a Nazi ally in WW2 and seem to have had a special position in the Nazi racial heirarchy- somewhere between Germans and the rest of the Slavs, while the Slovenes seem to have been an afterthought (much like the Sorbs). How are these groups viewed by contemporary German nationalists?

Bollwerk
Sunday, November 22nd, 2009, 07:47 AM
I believe the Slovaks are closely related to the Czechs.
The Slovenes are related to the Croatians.
During the Second World War both of these groups were allied to the Axis Powers.

Jäger
Sunday, November 22nd, 2009, 09:19 AM
They are of no importance, so far, not worthy to be thought about.

Bollwerk
Sunday, November 22nd, 2009, 10:50 PM
From what I've researched the Slovaks and Slovenes are the Slavic people who have least harmed Germans in their counties and seem to have been good allies in the past.

That's more than I can say for the other Slavics like the Polish, Russians, Czechs and Serbs who have comitted atrocities on Germans under their rule.

Hauke Haien
Sunday, November 22nd, 2009, 11:26 PM
The Slovaks were a Nazi ally in WW2 and seem to have had a special position in the Nazi racial heirarchy
Collaborators always received an upgrade in treatment, but that says nothing about their racial types and ethnic identity.

while the Slovenes seem to have been an afterthought (much like the Sorbs).
The Slovenes are sometimes seen as Wendish, but our Austrians should be more competent in answering that exactly.

As for Germanic influences, they are most likely concentrated in the German minorities insofar as they still exist in those countries. Until recently, there was no incentive for anyone to go native.

Sissi
Sunday, November 22nd, 2009, 11:40 PM
From what I've researched the Slovaks and Slovenes are the Slavic people who have least harmed Germans in their counties and seem to have been good allies in the past.

That's more than I can say for the other Slavics like the Polish, Russians, Czechs and Serbs who have comitted atrocities on Germans under their rule.
It depends which countries you speak about. In Austria, there is some degree of conflict between the Austrians and the Slovenes, particularly in Carinthia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carinthian_Slovenes

This link is about Slovenian minorities in Austria. Here is another link, about Lower Styria, in Slovenia, which has some originally German cities:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_Styria