PDA

View Full Version : Frankenstein Pets!

frippardthree
Tuesday, November 10th, 2009, 06:22 AM
I don't know, I'm all for medical experimentation, to help cure diseases, but I think some of these cloning experiments are going to far! Is man trying to play God?:thumbdown

Scientists say the technology to put ever greater amounts of human genetic material into animals is spreading quickly around the world raising the possibility that some scientists in some places may want to push boundaries. File photograph.
Photograph by: Bruno Schlumberger, Ottawa CitizenLONDON - A mouse that can speak? A monkey with Down's Syndrome? Dogs with human hands or feet? British scientists want to know if such experiments are acceptable, or if they go too far in the name of medical research.
To find out, Britain's Academy of Medical Sciences launched a study on Tuesday to look at the use of animals containing human material in scientific research.

The work is expected to take at least a year, but its leaders hope it will help establish guidelines for scientists in Britain and around the world on how far the public is prepared to see them go in mixing human genes into animals to discover ways to fight human diseases.

"Do these constructs challenge our idea of what it is to be human?" said Martin Bobrow, a professor of medical genetics at Cambridge University and chair of a 14-member group looking into the issue.

"It is important that we consider these questions now so that appropriate boundaries are recognized and research is able to fulfil its potential."

Using human material in animals is not new. Scientists have already created rhesus macaque monkeys that have a human form of the Huntingdon's gene so they can investigate how the disease develops; and mice with livers made from human cells are being used to study the effects of new drugs.

But scientists say the technology to put ever greater amounts of human genetic material into animals is spreading quickly around the world raising the possibility that some scientists in some places may want to push boundaries.

"There is a whole raft of new scientific techniques that will make it not only easier but also more important to be able to do these cross-species experiments," Bobrow said.

A row erupted in Britain last year over new laws allowing the creation of human-animal embryos for experimentation.

Complete Article:http://www.montrealgazette.com/story_print.html?id=2203759&sponsor=

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/www.montrealgazette.com/technology/scientists+want+debate+animals+with+huma n+genes/2203759/2203763.bin

Kogen
Tuesday, November 10th, 2009, 06:28 AM
It is just another modern perversion. These people have the dignity of street whores.

Renwein
Tuesday, November 10th, 2009, 06:59 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it. :cig

Huginn ok Muninn
Tuesday, November 10th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Anything evil that can be done, eventually will be done. I am amazed we have not nuked ourselves yet.

frippardthree
Tuesday, November 10th, 2009, 07:04 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it. :cig

It's not so much the reason for the experiments, that I have a problem with. It's the possible ramifications and danger that could come as a result.

Rogue
Friday, October 15th, 2010, 12:22 AM
I remember something in the Mythos of Atlantis.
In some books they were supposedly experimenting on breeding slaves that were half human half animal.
I think we should avoid that road.
Also, let's not forget that A.I.D.S. may have caused by a lab monkey that escaped.

Rogue

Ardito
Wednesday, January 19th, 2011, 09:44 AM
It seems to me that every complaint against this sort of thing is out of pure sentiment. If you want to argue against curing diseases, go forward, you could make some excellent points there, but if we are going to cure diseases, then there's no good reason not to do this.

velvet
Wednesday, January 19th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Just another point to prove that the most evil sentence ever spoken, and made a fundamental aspect of the worldview resulting from there, was: make yourself the world a subject (mach dir die Welt untertan).

Just because we can do some things, doesnt mean that we should do them.