PDA

View Full Version : Obesity in the USA

Evolved
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Super Size Me

Why are Americans so fat? Find out in Super Size Me, a tongue in-cheek - and burger in hand -- look at the legal, financial and physical costs of America's hunger for fast food.

Ominously, 37% of American children and adolescents are carrying too much fat and 2 out of every three adults are overweight or obese. Is it our fault for lacking self-control, or are the fast-food corporations to blame?

Filmmaker Morgan Spurlock hit the road and interviewed experts in 20 U.S. cities, including Houston, the "Fattest City" in America. From Surgeon Generals to gym teachers, cooks to kids, lawmakers to legislators, these authorities shared their research, opinions and "gut feelings" on our ever-expanding girth.

During the journey, Spurlock also put his own body on the line, living on nothing but McDonald's for an entire month with three simple rules:

1) No options: he could only eat what was available over the counter (water included!)
2) No supersizing unless offered
3) No excuses: he had to eat every item on the menu at least once

It all adds up to a fat food bill, harrowing visits to the doctor, and compelling viewing for anyone who's ever wondered if man could live on fast food alone.

The film explores the horror of school lunch programs, declining health and physical education classes, food addictions and the extreme measures people take to lose weight and regain their health.

Super Size Me is a satirical jab in the stomach, overstuffed with fat and facts about the billion-dollar industry besieged by doctors, lawyers and nutritionists alike. "Would you like fries with that?" will never sound the same!

http://www.supersizeme.com/images/buy_box/rated_f.gif

http://www.supersizeme.com

Sigrun Christianson
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Fast food is generally just sick & gross. They are out to make a profit off of low-priced items so of course they will use the least expensive ingredients.

Another problem is that we are taught to clean our plates because children in African are starving, etc. And we eat way too fast, of which I am guilty.

Eat less, eat natural, and slow down. I should follow my own advice. :P

Gladstone
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Yeah I read about that guy. Afterwards he had a complete physical and the doctor was shocked at how much overall his health had deteriorated; his liver was supposed to be in the process of breaking down. :-O

Sigrun Christianson
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Hmmm. How can I view this flim? Do you have, LG?

Thorburn
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 07:20 PM
During the journey, Spurlock also put his own body on the line, living on nothing but McDonald's for an entire month with three simple rules Ironically, I lived only from McDonald's for a month once, in the course of a bet I had with a friend who said I couldn't do it. In this month my lean body mass increased.

In fact, the diet McDonald's offers is nutritionally not that unbalanced; a Big Mac lies perfectly in the zone, great during mass phase. They offer salad, fish, shrimps, orange juice, milk, too. The worst one could say is that their food is overly processed, sterilized and deep-frozen, carbs are mostly refined, and it's lacking in fibres and unsaturated fats (still not a problem if one doesn't eat more than one burns), coming with a poor vitamin and mineral balance. Thus, one wouldn't like to live from it only, but eating fast food a couple of times a week is not a problem, and it's not the reason why people are fat.

The whole movie sounds like a clichéd fast-food-is-evil stunt for the sake of sensationalism and quick money to me.

Fast food is generally just sick & gross. Does anyone want a cheeseburger? :)

Gladstone
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Does anyone want a cheeseburger? :)

Steve Miller does!:D

I've forgotten the name of it but he had a song out in 1968 that had the line "Somebody give me a cheeseburger!" LOL!

Sigrun Christianson
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Does anyone want a cheeseburger? :)I don't eat McDonald's cheeseburgers. :)

Gladstone
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 07:46 PM
This is the song released in October 1968 entitled (appropriately? ;)) Living In The USA. It's amazing how little has changed in 36 years. Be sure and check out the last line! :-O

Living in the U.S.A.

By: Steve Miller

Stand back, stand back
Stand back, stand back

Stand back, stand back
Stand back, stand back

Doot do do do do doot doot
Living in the U.S.A.
Living in the U.S.A.

Where are you goin' to
What are you gonna do
Do you think that it will be easy
Do you think that it will be pleasin', hey

Stand back, what'd you say
Stand back, I won't pay
Stand back, I'd rather play
Stand back

It's my freedom
Ah, don't worry 'bout me, babe
I got to be free, babe
Hey

Living in the U.S.A.
Living in the U.S.A.

Stand back, dietician
Stand back, television
Stand back, politician
Stand back, mortician

Oh, we got to get away
Living in the U.S.A.
Come on baby, Owwww

I see a yellow man, a brown man
A white man, a red man
Lookin' for Uncle Sam
To give you a helpin' hand
But everybody's kickin' sand
Even politicians
We're living in a plastic land
Somebody give me a hand, yeah

Oh, we're gonna make it, baby
Oh, we're going to shake it, baby
Oh, don't break it
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Come on baby, hey
Hey, hey
In the U.S.A., babe yeah

Living in the U.S.A.
Don't worry 'bout me, babe
Living in the U.S.A.
Living in the U.S.A.
Living in the U.S.A.
I got to be free
Living in the U.S.A.
Come on try it, you can buy it, you can leave it next week, yeah
Somebody give me a cheeseburger

http://www.theshroyers.com/pvallarta/cheeseburger.jpg

Thorburn
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Steve Miller does!:D

I've forgotten the name of it but he had a song out in 1968 that had the line "Somebody give me a cheeseburger!" LOL!It's called Living in the U.S.A., what else? ;)

This is the song released in October 1968 entitled (appropriately? ;)) Living In The USA. Ah, you beat me to it. :)

Gladstone
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 07:50 PM
I don't eat McDonald's cheeseburgers. :)

You have good tastes!

McDonalds burgers in general tastes synthetic. Burger King makes the best fastfood cheese burgers! :D ;)

Thorburn
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 07:52 PM
I don't eat McDonald's cheeseburgers. :)You eat non-fast food cheeseburgers then? How long does one have to wait in the queue until a burger is classified as such? ;)

Sigrun Christianson
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 07:52 PM
I just want to clarify the role of the cheeseburger in diet:

Made with good beef, a healthy bun, extra cheese, mayo, mustard, pickles, lettuce, tomato, mushrooms, and avacado, it's damn near the perfect food. It has all the yummy protein and iron, and veggies to boot! What isn't perfect about that?

Thorburn
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 07:53 PM

Made with good beef, a healthy bun, extra cheese, mayo, mustard, pickles, lettuce, tomato, mushrooms, and avacado, it's damn near the perfect food. It has all the yummy protein and iron, and veggies to boot! What isn't perfect about that?Exactly. Nothing wrong with fast food. ;)

Gladstone
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Ah, you beat me to it. :)

That's good you know that song. ;) Not even many Americans know that one. Fan of Steve Miller by chance?

Sigrun Christianson
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 07:54 PM
You eat non-fast food cheeseburgers then? How long does one have to wait in the queue until a burger is classified as such? ;)I eat other fast food and semi-fast food and homemade cheeseburgers that taste at least a hundred times better than McDonald's. :P

Fan of Steve Miller by chance?I love the Steve Miller band. :D

Thorburn
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 07:57 PM
That's good you know that song. ;) Not even many Americans know that one. Fan of Steve Miller by chance?Fan of Google. ;)

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22steve+miller%22+%2Bcheesebur ger+%2Blyrics&sourceid=opera&num=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I love the Steve Miller band. :D I have an old dusty record of them somewhere, but I couldn't recall. :|

I eat other fast food and semi-fast food and homemade cheeseburgers that taste at least a hundred times better than McDonald's. :PTried them all. Never encountered a burger that beats McDonald's. Just can't get junkier than that. ;)

Sigrun Christianson
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Tried them all. Never encountered a burger that beats McDonald's. Just can't get junkier than that. ;)I'm a cheeseburger elitist. Only the best for me and McDonald's isn't it. :P

Gladstone
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Fan of Google. ;)

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22steve+miller%22+%2Bcheesebur ger+%2Blyrics&sourceid=opera&num=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

LOL!...hmmmph..That's how I found it too. :)

I knew it had that line tho. That's the type of line that just sticks and never leaves a person...profound really. ;)

cosmocreator
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Though I eat out every day, I rarely eat McDonalds. The only thing they serve that is alright is their chicken fahitas (sp?). I think Wendy's has the most real tasting hamburgers.

Gladstone
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 08:09 PM
I love the Steve Miller band. :D

Yeah, he's alright; for awhile I was really into some of his music. I like a lot of old 60's music. Just bought A DVD set of the complete Ed Sullivan episodes (complete to the point of even having the original commercials) of the Beetles being presented to America. Up to 1968 or so there was real style, then after that things crashed and we got the crap we have now. :|

Nordgau
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 08:14 PM
It's not fast food but generally the portions and especially the stuff what Americans use to eat. Think of all these muffins, butterfingers, donuts (picture!), brownies with full-chocolate taste, all this peanut butter and chocolate cream stuff: sweats and cakes are twice as big and twice as sweat or fat or creamy in America. Think of all these pumped-up pizzas. And they call us "Krauts"! What a honourable name. I never heard of someone getting a heartattack because of eating too much Sauerkraut. :D Hasn't one got in America gastronomical phenomenons like liquid butter in plastic tubes for squirting it over meals? - You won't find that in supermarkets here (at least not yet) :D ... And to make the crime perfect, all these oversized Americans wear then shorts!!! :stop

Must stop now. Got a pizza in the oven (Wagners Steinbackofenpizza Salami - delicious!) :D :D

http://uloc.nerdtank.org/screenshots/1/1f04_donuts.jpg

Gladstone
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 08:21 PM
... And to make the crime perfect, all these oversized Americans wear then shorts!!! :stop

To see the perfect crime one must go to the beach and see all those supersized men and women stuffed into their swim trunks and bikinis. That really ought to be against the law.:| No thought at all to the rest of us have they!! ;)

Sigrun Christianson
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 08:22 PM
To see the perfect crime one must go to the beach and see all those supersized men and women stuffed into their swim trunks and bikinis. That really ought to be against the law.:| No thought at all to the rest of us have they!! ;)That's where the fashion police come in. People make jokes, but I think it would be a good idea. ;)

Disorderly Dressing
Distrubing the Asthetic Peace
Assault on the Eyes
Obscenity

Gladstone
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 08:43 PM
That's where the fashion police come in. People make jokes, but I think it would be a good idea. ;)

Disorderly Dressing
Distrubing the Asthetic Peace
Assault on the Eyes
Obscenity

Great idea! The all women fashion police force could look just like the women in that Michael Palmer video Addicted To Love; in fact, that they look like them would have to be an admissions requirement to even get on the force. At least that part of the force that polices the men!:D

Am surprised Cali doesn't already have something like that in place. California is supposed to lead the nation after all. :D ;)

Thorburn
Sunday, March 7th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Though I eat out every day, I rarely eat McDonalds. The only thing they serve that is alright is their chicken fahitas (sp?).Fajitas.

Louky
Monday, March 8th, 2004, 02:33 AM
If you put two competitive subspecies of rodents in a cage, but prevented them from fighting by separating them with a fine, transparent mesh (where they could see and smell one another) AND you gave both groups as much food as they could eat, I bet they'd ALL gain weight.

Scientists have found that stress causes the release of chemicals in the brain that create a craving for comfort foods--foods high in calories. It's supposed to be part of some "fight or flight" behavioral mechanism.

Also, it's not just Americans. Europeans are getting fat too. I checked.

Maybe diversity makes you fatter, not stronger.

Krampus
Monday, March 8th, 2004, 03:06 AM
I think the suburbs and cars are to blame for obesity problems in America. No one walks anywhere anymore. Also to blame are modern sedentary jobs without physical activity, which while usually good for the pocketbook are poor for your health.

Johnny Reb
Monday, March 8th, 2004, 03:34 AM

Made with good beef, a healthy bun, extra cheese, mayo, mustard, pickles, lettuce, tomato, mushrooms, and avacado, it's damn near the perfect food. It has all the yummy protein and iron, and veggies to boot! What isn't perfect about that?

To be properly healthy, it would have to be fat free cheese and meat, and no mayo or ketchup. You'd be better off ditching the bun entirely and having a steak and salad.

Scoob
Monday, March 8th, 2004, 03:54 AM
If you put two competitive subspecies of rodents in a cage, but prevented them from fighting by separating them with a fine, transparent mesh (where they could see and smell one another) AND you gave both groups as much food as they could eat, I bet they'd ALL gain weight.

Scientists have found that stress causes the release of chemicals in the brain that create a craving for comfort foods--foods high in calories. It's supposed to be part of some "fight or flight" behavioral mechanism.

Also, it's not just Americans. Europeans are getting fat too. I checked.

Maybe diversity makes you fatter, not stronger.

This theory makes the most sense to me.

Americans live like caged rats - not just because of work-related stress, but also because of the ubiquitous violence in our culture - which is of African-American inspiration.

bocian
Monday, March 8th, 2004, 05:04 AM
Americans have absolutely no concept of 'gluttony'

I admit I'll have some fast food once in a while, but I work in the construction industry and I work hard physically, I will burn it off.

I came to Canada at the age of 7, I first ate McDonalds at 14 or 15,
Why so late? Because my mother never took me to eat that filth.

Nothing upsets me more than seeing a responsible 'soccer mom' taking her army of little ones to McDonalds and stuffing the shit out of them. Then driving off in her SUV, and going for a jog while leaving her kids with a dvd of Terminator 3 and bags of potato chips and coke.

The reason why Americans are fat?

Stupid parents

Saoirse
Monday, March 8th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Americans have absolutely no concept of 'gluttony'

I admit I'll have some fast food once in a while, but I work in the construction industry and I work hard physically, I will burn it off.

I came to Canada at the age of 7, I first ate McDonalds at 14 or 15,
Why so late? Because my mother never took me to eat that filth.

Nothing upsets me more than seeing a responsible 'soccer mom' taking her army of little ones to McDonalds and stuffing the shit out of them. Then driving off in her SUV, and going for a jog while leaving her kids with a dvd of Terminator 3 and bags of potato chips and coke.

The reason why Americans are fat?

Stupid parents

I agree. Fast food, junk food and stupid parents.

Evolved
Monday, March 8th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Burger King makes the best fastfood cheese burgers!

I never go to Burger King, because all the people working there are blacks and Indians, I figure they might do something rude to my food because I'm white (I have heard horror stories :|). McDonalds seems to have hired all the neighborhood white kids but I have been boycotting McDonalds (http://www.inminds.co.uk/boycott-mcdonalds.html). There are a lot of very good Greek family-owned restaurants here, I prefer to give them my business. :)

cosmocreator
Monday, March 8th, 2004, 08:26 AM
I never go to Burger King, because all the people working there are blacks and Indians, I figure they might do something rude to my food because I'm white (I have heard horror stories :|). McDonalds seems to have hired all the neighborhood white kids but I have been boycotting McDonalds (http://www.inminds.co.uk/boycott-mcdonalds.html). There are a lot of very good Greek family-owned restaurants here, I prefer to give them my business. :)

I do the same. I checked out a family owned Ukrainian restaurant a few days ago. At the same time, gathering first hand knowledge about the Ukraine. I'll be going back there this week. In a city the size of Detroit, there's got to be a lot of little family restaurants. Food is usually better and I'd rather support them than large chains.

Mistress Klaus
Monday, March 8th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Americans aren't the only fasto's in the world....you ought to see some of the fatties in Australia! :donut3 (disgusting!)

I don't think blaming any fast outlet for ones own obestity is excusable. (These ridiculous lawsuits make me quite angry)...I admit I don't particulary like fast food, but anyone with any common sense would know that this food in question wasn't mean't to be eaten on a regular basis.

Besides also the fact that the human race is becoming increasingly LAZY & GLUTTONOUS in nature is actually the main reason why obesity is such a problem in this 21st century..

STOP EATING YOU OBNOXIOUS PIGS!!! :pig :pig

sciath
Monday, March 8th, 2004, 09:31 AM
is becoming increasingly LAZY & GLUTTONOUS in nature

Stop attacking me !! :D :D
Actually food isn't my main field of gluttony ;)

Mistress Klaus
Monday, March 8th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Stop attacking me !! :D :D
Actually food isn't my main field of gluttony ;)

Yes I could think of far better enjoyments to indulge in... :pinklove :fseesaw:

sciath
Monday, March 8th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Yes I could think of far better enjoyments to indulge in... :pinklove :fseesaw:

A gluttony which makes lose weight ! :P :P :D

Phlegethon
Monday, March 8th, 2004, 02:29 PM
A gluttony which makes lose weight ! :P :P :D

...and brains.

Sigrun Christianson
Monday, March 8th, 2004, 03:01 PM
To be properly healthy, it would have to be fat free cheese and meat, and no mayo or ketchup. You'd be better off ditching the bun entirely and having a steak and salad.
No way. I need my fat. The bun can go.

Allenson
Monday, March 8th, 2004, 10:29 PM

Fascinating! I recently saw an ad on TV for a weight-loss pill that claimed that stress causes the body to release biochemicals that increase fat storage or something. Immediately I said "bull-sh*t!" these people are fat because they can't get off of their lazy asses and they can't stop eating....but apparently there is something to it....

Gladstone
Monday, March 8th, 2004, 11:04 PM
I never go to Burger King, because all the people working there are blacks and Indians, I figure they might do something rude to my food because I'm white (I have heard horror stories :|).

Yes, I've heard the horror stories. A few months back their was a case of some cops being fed burgers with glass in them...then the story disappeared. :-O

+Suomut+
Tuesday, March 9th, 2004, 12:43 AM
I love the Steve Miller band. :DI can't believe I said what I said to a Steve Miller fan. I put my foot in my mouth and I'm not even one of these hungry, fat Americans. :disapp (http://www.forums.skadi.net/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1#)

...these people are fat because they can't get off of their lazy asses and they can't stop eating....This is the stereotype, of course...American haters world-wide use this as a slur. Nevertheless, the title of this thread is illogical: not ALL Americans are 'fat.' As a matter of fact, I'm sure (can't prove it) only a minority of Americans can actually be classified as such. I heard about Spurlock's activities on N.P.R. I think (naturally, a VERY socialist-oriented radio network would broadcast anti-capitalist material, i.e., anti-McDonalds), and it caught my attention. I like the points Louky has imparted (the bio-chemical aspects, as well as the fact that there are non-American 'fatties' out there too.).

I think the suburbs and cars are to blame for obesity problems in America. No one walks anywhere anymore. Also to blame are modern sedentary jobs without physical activity, which while usually good for the pocketbook are poor for your health.WELL SAID & INSIGHTFUL! One DOWNSIDE to modern technology. No one goes out and chops down trees or farms fields all day long anymore.

“Americans live like caged rats - not just because of work-related stress, but also because of the ubiquitous violence in our culture - which is of African-American inspiration.”Indeed. Remember that White female jogger some years ago who was gang rapped by several 'unspeakables' some years ago in NYC's Central Park. This kinda' SH#T goes on all the time in American cities of all sizes, but you rarely hear about it, of course. I could tell you about a friend of mine in this regard, but it makes me so f-ing mad I won't. So, it is indeed true that some folks (esp. women) in this day and age and esp. in the WRONG places choose NOT to exercise at all because they're too afraid to leave the house/apartment.

My additional comments:
Some folks have genetic predispositions to become 'fat.' 'Fat' Americans are NOT alone in this.
America practically the 'food basket' of the world, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that there's PLENTY of food to be found in this country...cheap and on nearly every corner...so it shouldn't surprise anyone that some Americans eat BIG and get FAT because the food is RIGHT in FRONT of their mouths ALL the time (rather like the mice Louky mentions). It's not like the OLD days in America when one had to WORK like a b#tch if one wanted to eat.
American capitalists DO PUSH food on Americans...and many Americans FALL FOR IT. Try to watch ANY kind of television in this country without being made 'hungry' by some kind of FOOD oriented advertisement.
SOME Americans really ARE lazy, to say MOST are is absurd.
American food has in recent decades become VERY DIVERSE...I mean nearly EVERY kind of ethnic cuisine is available here now...e.g. there are Chinese restaurants in EVERY TOWN in this country with a population of over 5,000; no joke, in 1904 there were maybe 2 dozen. So, here's ANOTHER REASON to EAT MORE: there are SO MANY DIFFERENT kinds of food to eat; so, one can't possibly get BORED with eating the 'same old stuff' like in the previous centuries of this country.
Americans are more SOCIAL eaters than they were on or before 100 yrs. ago. It used to be you ate 3 meals with the same old folks you saw everyday: your family. Now, nearly EVERY social occasion has FOOD attached to it...for some, socializing has become ANOTHER excuse to EAT, when they're really don't need to be/aren't hungry.I'm American, I'm not fat, I should be though, I LOVE 'junk food,' I've been eating it all my life; and NO it was NOT my mother's fault either! :P LOL

That's good you know that song. ;) Not even many Americans know that one. Fan of Steve Miller by chance?I know the song and very well, I might add, and I wouldn't have needed a search engine to 'name that tune' either, LOL ;) Even though that's a 'pro-America' song, few Americans do seem to not remember that diddy, even though he was a POP KING back in the '70s...REMEMBER GLADSTONE!?!?! LOL ;) That song was one of his first, lesser known hits...explains why only his die-hard fans, OLD POP FANS, and connoisseurs of classic rock remember it. I've always liked the SMB & Steve Miller is one of the most talented pop musicians of all time, without question. Oh, I think he REALLY was 'FAT' too, lol. My favorite by him is "Space Cowboy"--I should have been playing that this past Sat. night while spaced-out and berserk on Swedish vodka--maybe he needs to update/predate that song and rename it "Space Viking." LOL/COL

blut-ehre
Tuesday, March 9th, 2004, 06:26 AM
because our children are becoming fat not only the parents, the ones that are skinny are now having overweight children and the population gets fat.
As well a response to the, 'not a lot of americans are fat' --->"According to the WHO, over half of Americans are overweight and 31% - 38.8 million people - are obese. Obesity rates in children have risen 50% in recent years. "
taken from
http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0125-01.htm
it's a sad, sad world...
:~(

Esther_Helena
Tuesday, March 9th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Very simply, I believe the problem has a variety of sources. To varying degrees for each obese person. I should probably be 20 to 30 pounds heavier than I am, the way I eat. Word of advice...cheese poofs + 3 days = bad. Granted I do eat a lot of lean cuisines, healthy choice, etc...1. I don't have the patience to cook (cook does not mean dumping something out of a can and into a pot), 2. I hate dishes. 3. I feel stupid eating out by myself. 4. If the fast food place isn't on my way home, I don't go. (yep I'm antisocial in real life). I'll admit I know frozen isn't as good as fresh. But to eat fresh everyday is highly impractical. I'd have to go to the grocery store everyday, or every 3 days at least. Also, by the time I actually want the fruit I've bought, it's gone bad.
As for fast food places, I live across from a subway :D , but for me, $4 a pop for a sandwich is steep :~( . The Burger King was torn down, the only place I have now is Wendy's. My cheeseburger preference is lettuce and mayo only. Although the one back home... is interesting... you order that... an you come out with chicken nuggets :P . It has issues.
Mickey D's is nasty beyond...nasty. I had to eat that crap when I was part of an elementary school's Y(ymca) program. The thousand island salad dressing had the consistency of snot. Once I was with my grandfather, and we stopped by McD's for breakfast (only place in the area open at the time) I dropped some eggs on the floor... they bounced back up to me... :insane The final draw was when a friend and I got kid's meals. We wanted the toys, okay :silly Anyways. I take a bite into my chicken nugget, and I look at it. I kid you not.. Purple as a nexium pill. :suspect Now what kind of chicken is purple...

cosmocreator
Tuesday, March 9th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Now what kind of chicken is purple...

Probably means the chicken was beaten and bruised before it was killed.

Johnny Reb
Wednesday, March 10th, 2004, 06:01 AM
It should be noted that they arrived at these fatness numbers by using the very flawed Body Mass Index (BMI) instead of actual bodyfat percentage.

BMI is some sort of calculated ratio between your height and your weight, while bodyfat is the percentage of fat you have compared to overall bodyweight. Using BMI over bodyfat testing means that a healthy, lean, but muscular (heavy) individual is classified as overweight, while a "skinny-fat" person who eats garbage and doesn't exercise, but falls below the proper weight limit for his height is considered ok.

I don't know how measuring obesity properly would change the numbers, but just felt I should point it out.

Sigrun: You're right. You would be better off ditching the bun and keeping some healthy fats. A good rule of thumb to follow is only combine protein and carbs, or protein and fats, in meals. Never carbs and fats together.

Annikaspapa
Tuesday, April 13th, 2004, 09:49 PM
I've always thought that one of the primary causes of the epidemic of obesity has been the USA's wide-open spaces/suburban sprawl. This, coupled with an overall lack of public transit, has led to a society that spends far to much time on four wheels - with ever-widening posteriors comfortably resting on oversized minivan seats.

nicholas
Tuesday, April 13th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Speaking as a "fat American" I can say there are several reasons for obesity in this country.

#1. being the amount of food advertised adn sold in order to increase pleasure and help people escape from unhappy lives. Oftentimes the only thing people have contol over is what they put in their mouths.

#2. Food as substitute for intimate sexual contact due to several factors including low self esteem and being "ugly" according to societies standards.

#3. the large amounts of sugar adn fat in foods such as soft drinks adn pastries.
I myself lost 25 lbs once I stopped having the 2 or 3 20 ounce double mochas a day. Fructose is a food additive similar to sugar that gets under the hunger radar, thus a person can consume tons of it and still be hungry even though their stomach is actually full.

#4. Sedentary lifestyle. Our society frowns on active people adn drugs children into sitting still. Thus the lifestyle habit of sitting in front of a box instead of running or climbing is programmmed into teh child at an early age.

#5. lack of self-discipline. Desperate need for immediate graticfication.

There are other factors to be included but I hope this helps shed some light on the subject for those who are not familiar with American social behavior.

Nicholas

Evolved
Tuesday, April 13th, 2004, 11:27 PM
I lost 30 pounds just by cutting soda from my diet and going on exercise bike for 30 minutes a day. Also because I like to eat snacks through the day I replaced them by stocking up on chewing gum and mints instead of potato chips and candy. :)

nicholas
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 02:07 AM
One thing I've found helpful is to eat small healthy meals throughout the day rather than two or three big meals. Also Eating right before bed is also bad since the body needs a couple hours before it evn uses the food you just ate and if its not being burned its turning to fat.

nicholas

I lost 30 pounds just by cutting soda from my diet and going on exercise bike for 30 minutes a day. Also because I like to eat snacks through the day I replaced them by stocking up on chewing gum and mints instead of potato chips and candy. :)

Mac Seafraidh
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 04:16 AM
I think minorities make up most of the fatness in America. I am probably wrong though because Caucasians in America are still the highest population for now unless action is taken. My answer is simply what Europe hate and I am proud for them. McDonald's.Boycott it.

Esther_Helena
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 04:24 AM
McDonald's.Boycott it.
:clap YES! I hate Mickey D's with every fiber of my being. Their food is pure evil.

Vestmannr
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 06:31 AM
I think it is a combination of factors, many of which have already been mentioned.

One is fast food, and the horrible 'super size' culture and people guzzling soda like water and shoveling down the potatoes and candy bars. European friends that have come back to visit with me have been disgusted at the sheer amount of food that Americans will put down in a sitting. Face it: we are PIGS.

Another is sitting in front of television, or at desks, or in their cars for hours each day. Laziness is endemic, not that Americans arent busy. We are busy without actually performing much physical work. If you want to find the easy way to do something, put an American on it. We are great at finding the path of least resistance (and it shows.)

Stress can also add to obesity and weight-gain. Americans have thrown away traditional ways of living, and are now divorced from their tribe, soil, etc. The pace of life here in America is sickening, and dehumanizing... as soon as I have the money: I'll move back to Europe (Ireland, Germany, France, or the UK .. as long as it isnt in a major city.)

Lastly, Americans have bought into a foreign value system rejected by our elders. We no longer respect farmers, labourers, soldiers, craftsmen, or real artists and artisans (you know, the sort that can make lasting worthwhile things, that actually resemble things in real life). Respect is given instead to bankers, accountants, lawyers, merchants, or 'artists' who cannot represent reality, or can only produce profanity, obscenity, etc. IOW, for shame if an American should live by using his hands for anything else but counting numbers.

kinvolk
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 08:29 PM
I am certainly not fat, But I only eat when I am REALLY hungry. Usually X1 a day or once every two days. Then I really put it away.

Agrippa
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 08:58 PM
The general lifestyle is much more important than fast food one or two times in a week.

Of course it would be insane to eat ONLY fast food.

But to move a little bit more than from house to car would be much better than to eat no fast food.

And of course, Burger King cheeseburgers are better than Mc Donalds.

If we would have effective social structures and intact families with women that cook, sports in the community and less stress in inhuman jobs all this diets would be unnecessary (probably they are so or so) at least for all healthy and not genetically burdened people.

The social reality of the USA is just the future of neoliberal societies in general. One of their problems is degeneration, ill jobs and social structures and cheap-fat-fast food.

People which are healthy, move enough and eat normal in general will never have a problem if they eat two-three times a week fast food.

Parzifal_
Friday, April 16th, 2004, 06:40 AM
The EuroAmerican type is in a state of decay and racial retrogression. The reasons for this are the subtstance of not one but many, many threads. Obesity is 70% genetic; Big Mac doesn't help either. Being genetic largely, it begs the question - just what the heck is happening to EuroAmericans as a racial pool? What behavioral, intellectual and creative forces or the absence thereof are currently molding the type? What will white America look like in 50 years as a functional racial reality? We all here easily jump on the miscegenation issue as though that represents the only potential for racial subversion but it isn't. It just is the only thing that comes to most minds first. The current social milieu here in the glorious U. S of A is definitely unhealthy for the evolution of any racial type, especially true Europids.

Dr. Solar Wolff
Saturday, May 29th, 2004, 06:20 AM
It is simple sugar which is causing the problem. Fructose and white sugar are in everything and we are eating pounds of it weekly. End the sugar and, I absolutely promise you, you will lose fat.

Nordhammer
Saturday, May 29th, 2004, 08:38 AM
It is simple sugar which is causing the problem. Fructose and white sugar are in everything and we are eating pounds of it weekly. End the sugar and, I absolutely promise you, you will lose fat.

Yep, that's why Atkins is so popular. They're going to be having a lot more Atkins approved products in the stores soon.

Saoirse
Saturday, May 29th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Yep, that's why Atkins is so popular. They're going to be having a lot more Atkins approved products in the stores soon.

Grow your own food instead.

Group Questions Safety of Atkins Diet (http://content.health.msn.com/content/Article/77/95324.htm)

Man sues Atkins over heart problems (http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/diet.fitness/05/27/atkins.suit.ap/)

Turificator
Saturday, May 29th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Why are Americans so fat?

Beats me!... :D :D

http://www.yuri.com/family/odekake/usj/small/burger.jpg

Nordhammer
Saturday, May 29th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Beats me!... :D :D

http://www.yuri.com/family/odekake/usj/small/burger.jpg

Are those FREEDOM fries, man?! Well, pass'em on over, man! :P

Saoirse
Saturday, May 29th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Looks good.

Phlegethon
Saturday, May 29th, 2004, 01:59 PM
The Atkins diet is unscientific and extremely dangerous. I strongly advise you not to try it.

Fructose alone will never make you fat. It is fat and the sweet calories of refined sugar - and alcohol, last but not least. You won't grow fat if you eat rice or pasta (without fat sauces) all day. Basmati rice, chicken and veggies done in a wok do it for me.

O. v. Bismarck
Saturday, May 29th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Well, I've been to the States some years ago and I really got shocked, bevause I've never seen so fat and so many fat people - mostly blacks though.
US-Americans eat too much and the wrong stuff, that's the simple cause. Both is only possible due to less education.

Telperion
Saturday, May 29th, 2004, 10:41 PM
US-Americans eat too much and the wrong stuff, that's the simple cause.I'd agree with that, but put the emphasis on the 'too much'. A lot of diets in recent years have focused on the quality or type of food people eat. I won't say that's wrong, but it does overlook a simple formula - namely that when caloric intake exceeds caloric output (physical activity), weight gain must ensure.

One's genes control one's metabolism, and so the rate at which weight is gained, because some people burn more calories at a minimal level of physical activity (i.e. sitting still and breathing) than others. But, even so, if your caloric intake exceeds your caloric output, gain wait you must - the excess energy must be stored in your body, and unless you do enough anaerobic exercise to convert it into muscle tissue, then it is converted into fat.

So, if people would just eat less (i.e. smaller portion sizes) and get more physical exercise (regardless of metabolism), they would markedly lower their risk of getting fat, or help to burn off the fat they have - it's that simple. The problem Americans in particular have is too many of them eat a diet that, in terms of portion size, is more appropriate for a lumberjack than for a desk jockey, even though they spend 99.9% of the day in a physically inactive state.

It's interesting to note in this regard that if you watch a documentary on one of the stone age, hunter-gatherer tribes that still exist in Amazonia or New Guinea, you'll notice that you never see any fat people (certainly never any grossly fat people). This is simply because, genes aside, not only do these people have a spare diet, but they must exert themselves all day to catch what food they can. I'll bet our own ancestors never got fat either, in the days when they all lived a physically active existence.

Both is only possible due to less education.Well, I think there's more to it than that. For one thing, food portions in American restaurants tend to be incredibly large (more in the East than the West). I recall some years ago, my parents and I ate at a restaurant in the northern suburbs of NYC. The restaurant put enough food on each of our plates to feed all of us. We had to throw most of it away, but lots of other people at the restaurant were eating all the food on their plate (when, at the risk of sounding cruel, they looked like that was the last thing they should be doing). I've found that when traveling in the US, it is very difficult to avoid eating too much, certainly more than I would like, unless I throw a lot of food away. Education doesn't solve the problem. ;)

Believe or not, food portions at restaurants in Canada are typically about 1/2 what they are compared to US restaurants of equivalent price, and this appears to be reflected in the fact that one doesn't see as many grossly fat people up here as down there. I suspect restaurant food portions influence peoples' weight both directly (if they eat out a lot), and indirectly (by influencing home cooking habits), but if restaurants scaled back their food portions that would certainly help address the obesity problem. Of course, if customers expect large portion sizes, they will complain, so unfortunately there is a vicious circle here.

Another problem is the design of many US cities. Too many (especially newer cities in the South and West) are very car-centric and pedestrian-unfriendly. Try going for a walk in the suburbs of e.g. Houston and you'll find many streets don't even have sidewalks. (Leaving aside how unpleasant it is to go for a walk in a place where the weather is hotter than 30 degrees Celsius, compounded by 100% humidity, for much of the year - it may be just as hot in Amazonia or New Guinea, but then Houstonians aren't forced to run around outside in these temperatures in order to catch their food, so they stay indoors instead.) Also, if you live in a dangerous neighbourhood, you probably won't want to walk out of doors very much. Going for a stroll in the South Bronx, for instance, generally isn't a good idea. So, all of these factors reinforce the obesity problem.

symmakhos
Saturday, May 29th, 2004, 11:30 PM
I'll bet our own ancestors never got fat either, in the days when they all lived a physically active existence.
perhaps not all... :P

http://www.student.lu.se/~liv99psa/willendorf-large.jpg

Nordhammer
Saturday, May 29th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Fructose alone will never make you fat.

I haven't noticed that. Fructose and sucrose have the same effect on me as far as weight gain, fructose just doesn't spike the blood sugar as much. Welch's white grape and peach is the best juice ever.

Well, I've been to the States some years ago and I really got shocked, bevause I've never seen so fat and so many fat people - mostly blacks though.
US-Americans eat too much and the wrong stuff, that's the simple cause. Both is only possible due to less education.

Black Americans have the highest rate of obesity. Supposedly partly due to their lower resting metabolism. They also have the worst diet of any group. It's common for a middle or lower class black person's house to smell like grease.

Stríbog
Sunday, May 30th, 2004, 12:39 AM
I haven't noticed that. Fructose and sucrose have the same effect on me as far as weight gain, fructose just doesn't spike the blood sugar as much. Welch's white grape and peach is the best juice ever.

That's because blood sugar tests only detect glucose. Fructose is worse for you than glucose because it has to enter the glycolysis pathway in a different way and stresses the system. This is why high fructose corn syrup contributes to American obesity and diabetes.

As for the Atkins diet, it leads to ketosis due to fatty acid metabolism in the absence of glucose.

Phlegethon
Sunday, May 30th, 2004, 12:49 AM
I suspect restaurant food portions influence peoples' weight both directly (if they eat out a lot), and indirectly (by influencing home cooking habits)
Home cooking habits? Most Americans don't cook at home anymore, exept maybe for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Putting frozen stuff in a microwave is not cooking. Americans don't learn how to cook and the don't know what they should eat and what they should away. That is why their cholesterole levels are about the highest in the western world (the rest is catching up quickly, though).

Another problem is the design of many US cities. Too many (especially newer cities in the South and West) are very car-centric and pedestrian-unfriendly. Try going for a walk in the suburbs of e.g. Houston and you'll find many streets don't even have sidewalks. (Leaving aside how unpleasant it is to go for a walk in a place where the weather is hotter than 30 degrees Celsius, compounded by 100% humidity, for much of the year - it may be just as hot in Amazonia or New Guinea, but then Houstonians aren't forced to run around outside in these temperatures in order to catch their food, so they stay indoors instead.) Also, if you live in a dangerous neighbourhood, you probably won't want to walk out of doors very much. Going for a stroll in the South Bronx, for instance, generally isn't a good idea. So, all of these factors reinforce the obesity problem.
Which makes one wonder why anyone would want to live there. Fortunately I live in a place where I can go for a walk at 3 a.m. through woods and around lakes without being bothered by anyone because it is all public and not - like in most cases in the U.S. - private property. The weather is mediate, humidity is normal and with about 120 ft above sea level you also don't need an oxygen tent after jogging a few miles.

That's because blood sugar tests only detect glucose. Fructose is worse for you than glucose because it has to enter the glycolysis pathway in a different way and stresses the system. This is why high fructose corn syrup contributes to American obesity and diabetes. As we don't have high fructose corn syrup here in Europe this is not an issue for us. A halfway normal human won't ever consume as much fructose as refined industrial sugar.

And I do not know about your blood sugar tests, but except maybe the instant tests for diabetics fructose is detected in a blood sugar check in a lab. Of course which is more important when you are obese is not blood sugar but triglycerids and cholesterole.

Telperion
Sunday, May 30th, 2004, 01:01 AM
perhaps not all... :P

Yuck...well, I stand corrected.

Which makes one wonder why anyone would want to live there.
The development of central air-conditioning has probably induced people to live in a lot of places which would otherwise remain largely uninhabited. E.g. Houston, without air-conditioning, would still be a small cattle-and-oil town surrounded by a vast malarial swamp. (No offence to anyone from Houston.) And of course when the jobs are there, the people follow. I would never want to live in a climate like that myself - although living in a place that is below freezing for seven months of the year as I currently do may not be much of an improvement.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Sunday, May 30th, 2004, 01:46 AM
Just eat foods that correspond to your blood origins.

Dr. Solar Wolff
Sunday, May 30th, 2004, 07:56 AM
Fructose alone will never make you fat. It is fat and the sweet calories of refined sugar - and alcohol, last but not least. You won't grow fat if you eat rice or pasta (without fat sauces) all day. Basmati rice, chicken and veggies done in a wok do it for me.

Fructose is "slammed" by the liver at high speed into the system. This reaction is much faster than even white sugar. Elevated blood sugar levels initiate production of insulin. Insulin sweeps throught he blood stream and tells the body to convert all this "excess" blood sugar into fat. (I know there are steps omitted, I am no biochemist). This happens, for instance, when you drink a coca-cola on an empty stomach. All that sugar from the coke is converted into fat. It is worse if this soft-drink contains fructose because this reaction is even faster. The basis of Atkins is avoiding this insulin rush. It really doesn't matter if you eat protein and fat or just complex, unrefined carbohydrates. You can eat complex carbs and not get fat because of the slower release of their sugars.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Sunday, May 30th, 2004, 09:36 AM
:D Fat Bloody Bastards! :D

Esther_Helena
Monday, May 31st, 2004, 02:58 AM
at the risk of starting another thread, I remember an article I read in a paper once. Basically, this guy said that, we should grow food and feed the people REGIONALLY. I wish we'd do that. I'd save up on transporting the food, one location wouldn't be responsible for producing ONE crop. That just doesn't seem right anyways. A good portion of what is produced goes to waste. Medical stuff, we'd still ship around, but I'm referring to fruit and veggies, and meat too I guess. I'm not suggesting everyone have their own garden and live off of it, though that wouldn't be a bad idea...
I mean, after all, why DOES one state have to be responsible for one crop???
Florida/California - orange
Georgia - peaches
Idaho - potatoes
And do we REALLY need kiwi, mango, papaya, etc?
Sure they taste GREAT, but what's wrong with an apple?

Theudanaz
Monday, May 31st, 2004, 03:04 AM
US, then Greece, then Ireland - medal winners in fatness!--- read article quoted below! Lithuanians least fast btw!

-Thiudans

"

In the study, headed by Inge Lissau, Ph.D. from Denmark, the researchers tabulated the BMIs of 29,242 children 13 and 15 years of age. The children were from Austria, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Flemish Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Lithuania, Ireland, Israel, Portugal, Slovakia, Sweden, and the United States. The children's BMIs were based on self-reported heights and weights collected from surveys the children answered in school.

Children from the United States were the most likely to be overweight. Among 13-year-old boys in the U.S., 12.6 percent were overweight. Among 13-year-old girls, 10.8 percent were overweight. For U.S. 15 year olds, 13.9 percent of boys were overweight, and 15.1 percent of girls were overweight.

Among the other countries taking part in the study, Greece had the next highest proportion of overweight 13-year-old boys, at 8.9 percent, followed by Ireland, at 7 percent. Portugal had the next highest proportion of overweight 13-year-old girls, at 8.3 percent, followed by Ireland, at 6.6 percent.

After the U.S., Greece had the next highest proportion of overweight 15-year-old boys, at 10.8 percent, followed by Israel, at 6.8 percent. For 15-year-old girls, Portugal had the next highest proportion of overweight, at 6.7 percent, followed by Denmark, at 6.5 percent.

Of all the countries that took part in the study, Lithuania had the lowest proportion of overweight, at 1.8 percent in 13-year-old boys, 2.6 percent in 13-year-old girls, .08 percent in 15-year-old boys, and 2.1 percent in 15-year-old girls.

"Since most obese adolescents remain obese as adults, this age group is a very important group to reach through preventive programs addressing issues of diet and sedentary lifestyles," the study authors wrote.

http://www.nichd.nih.gov/new/releases/teen_obesity.cfm

Theudanaz
Monday, May 31st, 2004, 03:17 AM
http://www.iuns.org/features/obesity/tabfig.htm#Figure%201:

Lots of Global Obesity info.

PS (sorry for two posts): In San Francisco not as many fatso's as in LA. Could be many reasons: more fashion-conscious, more Europhilic, more walking, running, exercise, mass transit (requiring walking), more steep hills to climb, less chain (fast-food) restaurants. My second observation is that rich people = skinny, poor people = fat. The consumption-production cycle that has involved rich people into consuming exotic/healthy food and going to the gym has replaced the former economically less-consumptive practice of eating less and doing more low-cost or free exercise (walking, running, biking, swimming in public, etc.). Lots of nice parks to walk around here too.

Stríbog
Monday, May 31st, 2004, 05:21 AM
Uh, San Francisco is Europhilic??? Since when?

AngryPotato
Monday, May 31st, 2004, 06:22 AM

Subways Atkins approved foods have generated a serious increase in sales over the short time that they've been available. The first step was the carb control wrap then the carb controlled salad :-O You should see low carb cookies and chips in the stores in North America right now or within the next couple of weeks. All of the food is Atkins approved and they aren't the easiest group to get approved by. I don't see Atkins as the savior of our health. Many people will swear by it, but refuse to admit that the overall program can not be healthy.

I don't think any other country can match our supermarkets though. Being able to buy 2 boxes of Devil Dogs, a dozen donuts, a six pack of candy bars, and your cigs in one place should be illegal. The temptations are too great for the weak willed.

I'm not fat, I'm big boned. :D

Theudanaz
Monday, May 31st, 2004, 06:43 AM
Uh, San Francisco is Europhilic??? Since when?

By Europhilic I mean that in general they attempt to align themselves with a leftist progressivist social agenda, like Europe of the recent past, despite obvious conflicts with their capitalist lifestyle. Many wish to view the city with its cafe and bar culture and European-based fashion boutiques as a sort of cosmopolitan center, such as NYC, London or Paris. I did not mean that they loved European racial types especially-- though you may see such sentiment as an unconscious phenomenon in the northern, more affluent parts of the city. Of course the reality is often humorously "un-European". On the street the other day I overheard two couples, having just encountered each other by accident, as they began to talk about how they are trying to be "French" by parking their SUV a mile away and walking instead. (Probably they could not find a parking spot for the huge "un-European" gas-guzzling vehicle) Nevertheless, whether erroneous or not, that illustrates an attempt to identify oneself with Europe, and a praise of its (putatively superior, more advanced, more fashionable etc.) culture. Such examples are not rare. Needless to say, they probably did not burn off their large gelattos and frappucinos by walking one mile, but rather by meeting their trainer at the exclusive spa-gym down the street.

-Thiudans

Phlegethon
Monday, May 31st, 2004, 10:24 AM
I don't think it has to do with being Europhilic - it has to do with constant cornholing that seems to burn a lot of calories. ;)

Mac Seafraidh
Monday, May 31st, 2004, 03:07 PM
American BS commericals that the ZOG government feeds to us. I think television is destroying Americans more than the Topic "Why are American's so fat?" I still think people over eat, but this is not just Caucasioid America." Many minorities;blacks,eat all fried foods and their traditional "African-American cusine" is not healthy. I am part of the overweight percentage currently, but not by much. It is only because I sleep too much. I eat healthy,but "sleep on my food." The American Commercial destroys the lives of many. It's not about food but also rx's,certain messages in a commerical that might not effect everyone,some. This can be caused from stress,anxiety,depression,etc.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Monday, May 31st, 2004, 08:20 PM
You should all eat human cheese! j/k :P

Theudanaz
Monday, May 31st, 2004, 10:02 PM
Here's a study on one of the main contributing factors mentioned in the thread thus far. Just came out on news today, though we have suspected it for a long time.

-Thiudans

--------------

U.S. National - AP
Study: Driving Longer Means Larger Waists

Mon May 31,10:48 AM ET

Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By DANIEL YEE, Associated Press Writer

ATLANTA - Spending more time behind the wheel — and less time on two feet — is adding inches to waistlines and contributing to the nation's obesity epidemic, a new study concludes.

AP Photo

The survey of 10,500 metro Atlanta residents found that for every extra 30 minutes commuters drove each day, they had a 3 percent greater chance of being obese than their peers who drove less.

The survey also found that people who lived within walking distance of shops — less than a half mile — were 7 percent less likely to be obese than their counterparts who had to drive.

"The more driving you do means you're going to weigh more — the more walking means you're going to weigh less," said Lawrence Frank, associate professor at the University of British Columbia who oversaw the study when he worked at Georgia Tech.

That much seems obvious, but researchers were surprised to discover that how much time a person spent driving had a greater impact on whether a person was obese than other factors such as income, education, gender or ethnicity.

About 91 percent of the people surveyed said they didn't walk to destinations. Many spent more than an hour each day in their cars.

The study is one of the first to look at the link between the environment and obesity, said Kelly Brownell, chairman of Yale University's psychology department and director of its Center for Eating and Weight Disorders.

"Studies of this type are very important because they show factors in our environment that can either help or hurt our waistline," said Brownell, who was not involved in the study. "These results show that the environment, affecting our physical activity, is quite influential."

In the study, which is expected to appear in the June issue of the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, researchers tracked participants' travel behavior and measured their height and weight from 2000 to 2002.

The study focused on Atlanta, but Frank said the city is not alone.

"Most regions look very similar to Atlanta — anything that's built after World War II is pretty much auto-oriented," he said. "We need to start to look at the way we're designing our communities ... the collective impact of having to drive everywhere is becoming really large."

Suburban, white men typically weighed about 10 pounds more than men who lived in dense urban areas with shops and services, according to the study, which will be presented Thursday at a national obesity conference in Virginia.

The study was paid for by $4 million in grants from the Georgia Department of Transportation, Georgia Regional Transportation Authority and the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (news - web sites). The Atlanta Regional Commission and the Environmental Protection Agency (news - web sites) also participated.

Turificator
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 12:18 PM
Could anyone be so kind as to explain to a poor misguided European like me what 'fructose syrup' is? Seems to be popular in the US....

Anyway, I think we should make soap out of obese people.

Ha.

Phlegethon
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 01:31 PM
The development of the various types of corn syrups, maltodextrins, and high-fructose corn syrup from corn starch sources could be called one of the greatest achievements in the sugar industry. Corn starch can be hydrolyzed into glucose relatively easily, but it was not until the 1970s that it became a commercially major product bringing about changes in the food industry. The starch is processed and refined from the kernels of corn by using a series of steeping (swelling the kernel), separation, and grinding processes to separate the starch from the other parts of the kernel which is used for animal feed.

The starch is hydrolyzed using acid, acid-enzyme, or enzyme-enzyme catalyzed processes. The first enzyme is generally a thermally stable alpha amylase which produces about 10-20 % glucose. Further treatment with the enzyme glucoamylase yields 93-96% glucose. The final Corn Syrup (glucose syrup) products include: dried corn syrup, maltodextrin, and dextrose (glucose).

Click for larger image

Glucose Isomerase:

With the development of glucoamylase in the 1940s and 1950s it became a straightforward matter to produce high percent glucose syrups. However, these have shortcomings as used in the sweetener industry. D-glucose has only about 70% of the sweetness of sucrose, on a weight basis, and is comparatively insoluble. Fructose is 30% sweeter than sucrose, on a weight basis, and twice as soluble as glucose at low temperatures so a 50% conversion of glucose to fructose overcomes both problems giving a stable syrup that is as sweet as a sucrose solution of the same concentration.

One of the triumphs of enzyme technology so far has been the development of 'glucose isomerase', which in turn led to the commercialization of high fructose corn syrups. Now it is known that several types of bacteria, can produce such glucose isomerases. They are resistant to thermal denaturation and will act at very high substrate concentrations, which have the additional benefit of substantially stabilizing the enzymes at higher operational temperatures. The vast majority of glucose isomerases are retained within the cells that produce them but need not be separated and purified before use.

All glucose isomerases are used in immobilised forms. Although differerent immobilisation methods have been used for enzymes from differerent organisms, the principles of use are very similar. The corn syrup is then converted to fructose in a batch process to make 42% fructose syrup.

For many purposes a 42% fructose syrup is perfectly satisfactory for use but it does not match the exacting criteria of the quality soft drink manufacturers as a replacement for sucrose in acidic soft drinks. For use in the better colas, 55% fructose is required. This is produced by using vast chromatographic columns of zeolites or the calcium salts of cation exchange resins to adsorb and separate the fructose from the other components.

High fructose corn syrups are classified according to the fructose content (i.e. 42%, 55%, 90%).

Turificator
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 01:42 PM
Cheers.

So basically, this syrup is the glucose added as a sweetener to industrial foodstuff (like sodas, sweets, etc.). Right. So what's all the fuss about? Can't those fat fuckers just stop drinking Colas and eating sweets??

Phlegethon
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 02:11 PM
Apparently not.

And one should point of that Coca Cola uses different fructose in Europe because of stricter laws regulations what can be put in food and what can't.

rusalka
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 03:27 PM
Apparently not.

And one should point of that Coca Cola uses different fructose in Europe because of stricter laws regulations what can be put in food and what can't.
And American Coca Coca tastes significantly different than the European one. I know for a fact that they have slightly different formulas for the US and most of Europe but it really is very different when you taste it too. I had Mexican coke the other day (Coca Cola, only Mexican) and its taste was closer to the European one that I was used to.

Phlegethon
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 03:38 PM
Yeah, the yankee-doodle-dandy formula sucks!

rusalka
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 03:41 PM
Yeah, the yankee-doodle-dandy formula sucks!
Well I guess it's a matter of acquired taste but I have to agree with that. I don't drink Coca Cola here at all, but that's probably for the best anyway. :)

Phlegethon
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 03:43 PM
Coke is good for cleaning pipes and plastic surfaces. That's it.

Turificator
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 07:28 PM
Yeah, you can use it to melt things (rust, crusts, etc.). That's what it's sold for, right?...

Esther_Helena
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 07:53 PM
*joins the "I hate American Coke" club*
Don't any of the coke drinkers here find it disturbing that what they are drinking can help clean rust? I'll let you think of that while I go take a swig of WD-40...
I hate our coke, it tastes like a flat pepsi, and it makes me sleepy. If I drink a coke, I'm dead to the world in 15 minutes. I want to go to Europe just to try their cokes now. :lol

rusalka
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 07:56 PM
I want to go to Europe just to try their cokes now. :lol
Mmmmm. Our Coke rules. Drink it on a hot day with a slice of lemon in it and it's so sweet and energizing. :nod

(are you jealous yet? :P )

Phlegethon
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 07:57 PM
Well, it does not really bother me, because stomach acid is an even more aggressive substance. it's not that I bathe in coke. A friend of mine drinks about 5 liters of Coke per day since early childhood and smokes like a chimney. He is neither overweight (rather the opposite) and not diabetic either. I guess it has to do with genetic predisposition, though.

There is hardly any caffeine in coke anymore (and no cocaine, either), so if you want to stay awake you have to go for espresso or mate tea.

Esther_Helena
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 08:01 PM
With lemon? Eww.

rusalka
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 08:03 PM
so if you want to stay awake you have to go for espresso or mate tea.
Mate tea? :naughty

Esther_Helena
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 08:05 PM
Mate tea? :naughty
Yeah, I was wondering that too. Gives a whole new meaning to "sweet tea."

rusalka
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 08:05 PM
With lemon? Eww.
See? Americans have no taste when it comes to Coke. And you came up with it in the first place. :P

Bow down to the Lemon Slice!

Phlegethon
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 08:06 PM
Yo. Green tea.

rusalka
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 08:08 PM
Yo. Green tea.
And I had my hopes up. :P

Esther_Helena
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 08:11 PM
See? Americans have no taste when it comes to Coke. And you came up with it in the first place. :P

Bow down to the Lemon Slice!
Where are you from, it says New York. I have no taste for coke because ours tastes nasty. We have tastes, unfortunately our "tastes" are determined by the makers of the products, and sadly, they seem to live off of what they make. They have no brains left, all the chemicals have gone to their heads. The Pepsi company especially.
Blue Pepsi - okay
WildCherry Pepsi - actually good
Clear Pepsi - tasted like regular, and lasted a season
Pepsi One - one calorie, and not much else, tasted like a pepsi you left out all day and then put it in the fridge. Flat.

rusalka
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 08:19 PM
Where are you from, it says New York. I have no taste for coke because ours tastes nasty. We have tastes, unfortunately our "tastes" are determined by the makers of the products, and sadly, they seem to live off of what they make.
I've been in New York for the past 2 years but I come from the Old Land where they make Coke right. :D

Seriously though, there is a very big difference between American coke and the rest. Even Mexican Coke was significantly different and they share a border with the US and have nothing to do with Europe. The best coke I ever had was Virgin Cola and yet it was short lived as far as I know. I never saw it outside of Switzerland and France anyway, but it was very good.

Zyklop
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 08:23 PM
You guys should try Bavarian beer instead. ;)

Turificator
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 08:32 PM
Matè rules, and Japanese green tea (sencha, matcha, but also kukicha) even more so!

Cola is for fat kids and rusty sinks! (the only exception being, of course, Mecca Cola).

http://www.managerzen.it/articoli/img/mecca-cola-grande.jpg

rusalka
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 08:38 PM
You guys should try Bavarian beer instead. ;)
Now that is a different thing altogether and it would be an abomination to discuss Bavarian beer under the I love America thread, wouldn't it, Zyklop? ;)

Besides, I know you third world Germans, it probably takes you months to brew a dozen bottles, what with the waiting for the water delivery truck and all. :P

Esther_Helena
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 08:40 PM
I can't try bavarian beer, I'm not old enough. :P

Phlegethon
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 09:16 PM
Fuck American Coca-Cola imperialism! Hail Mecca-Cola!

http://www.nodo50.org/haydeesantamaria/mecca_cola/cartel_mecca_cola.JPG

Phlegethon
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 09:21 PM
Matè rules, and Japanese green tea (sencha, matcha, but also kukicha) even more so! I just tried Youbetcha! Kicks ass! Really! ;)

Yeah, I was wondering that too. Gives a whole new meaning to "sweet tea."

Yeah, if your mate looks like that:

http://www.wkf.de/galerie/zoom/mate-tee.jpg

Zyklop
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 09:21 PM
Besides, I know you third world Germans, it probably takes you months to brew a dozen bottles, what with the waiting for the water delivery truck and all.

Our supply is so bad we even have to dilute our water.

Phlegethon
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 09:26 PM
Join the winning team, drink Arab Cola. Arab Cola - only genuine with the Jihad formula!

http://www.crvweb.com/sites/photo/arabcola.jpg

rusalka
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 09:32 PM
Join the winning team, drink Arab Cola. Arab Cola - only genuine with the Jihad formula!
Now you're sure to have lg as your Mate tea. ;)

Phlegethon
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 09:44 PM
Of course. After all I am pro-Muslim and pro-Pr0n. ;)

But does that outweigh being anti Magyar midgets? ;)

Turificator
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 10:41 PM
I just tried Youbetcha! Kicks ass! Really!

Need to check that one out then!

UP WITH NATIONAL-REVOLUTIONARY GREEN TEA DRINKING!
DEATH TO SUGARY AND SPARKLING YANKEE IMPERIALISM!!

PS Rooibosch herbal tea- forgot to mention that one... Good stuff.

Phlegethon
Tuesday, June 1st, 2004, 11:22 PM
PS Rooibosch herbal tea- forgot to mention that one... Good stuff.
Is it as good as Hieronymusbosch herbal tea? ;)

AngryPotato
Thursday, June 3rd, 2004, 12:15 AM
Is Euro-Coke sweeter? Watery? The only cola I truly enjoy is spelled Kola and made right down the street from me. http://www.foxonpark.com I don't know if it's available as far as NYC, but can be found at all of the local pizza parlors. A true sugar rush. Can you name a Bavarian beer that may be sold in the US? I'm always interested in trying to find a beer that I like. What kind of German/Irishman doesn't like beer. No need to answer that :P

kinvolk
Thursday, June 3rd, 2004, 12:40 AM
Is Euro-Coke sweeter? Watery? The only cola I truly enjoy is spelled Kola and made right down the street from me. http://www.foxonpark.com I don't know if it's available as far as NYC, but can be found at all of the local pizza parlors. A true sugar rush. Can you name a Bavarian beer that may be sold in the US? I'm always interested in trying to find a beer that I like. What kind of German/Irishman doesn't like beer. No need to answer that :P
It can be hard to find but well worth it. A German beer called''Dab'', One of the best.

rusalka
Thursday, June 3rd, 2004, 12:47 AM
Is Euro-Coke sweeter? Watery? The only cola I truly enjoy is spelled Kola and made right down the street from me. http://www.foxonpark.com (http://www.foxonpark.com/) I don't know if it's available as far as NYC, but can be found at all of the local pizza parlors. A true sugar rush. Can you name a Bavarian beer that may be sold in the US? I'm always interested in trying to find a beer that I like. What kind of German/Irishman doesn't like beer. No need to answer that :P
I would think both Paulaner and Fransizkaner are Bavarian beers but correct me if I'm wrong O Mighty Prussian. ;) In any case, both are pretty good.

European coke is much sweeter and has a less gaseous aroma. It's hard to describe, it's just really, really different. You might find Mexican coke sold, if you get to try it, it's similar to that. Never heard of Kola you mentioned but I'll look around. In local pizza parlors here all we get is Snapple.

Phlegethon
Thursday, June 3rd, 2004, 12:53 AM
DAB? One of the best? That was a lousy, cheap brew for the coal mining subproletariate from Dortmund. They rebranded it a few years ago and the old brewery does not even exist anymore, but it is still a bad beer. Still better than everything ou have in the U.S., but definitely not one of the better German ones.

Never heard of Kola you mentioned but I'll look around.
Come on, you don't know Koala Kola?

http://www.wisp.k12.wi.us/schools/mcki/koala.jpg

kinvolk
Thursday, June 3rd, 2004, 12:56 AM
DAB? One of the best? That was a lousy, cheap brew for the coal mining subproletariate from Dortmund. They rebranded it a few years ago and the old brewery does not even exist anymore, but it is still a bad beer. Still better than everything ou have in the U.S., but definitely not one of the better German ones.
At least you're consistent in your hatreds.

Phlegethon
Thursday, June 3rd, 2004, 01:04 AM
Anyway, Black Muslims like me of course pick this German brand.

http://coricopat1.ucsc.edu/%7Eayoung/Images/afri-cola.jpg

Tastes like elephant pee and thus reminds us of the hardships of slavery. But the design of the bottle rules! Colani über alles!

rusalka
Thursday, June 3rd, 2004, 01:09 AM
Tastes like elephant pee and thus reminds us of the hardships of slavery. But the design of the bottle rules! Colani über alles!
Is it designed as such that it will not remind the faithful Muslims of a (God forbid!) curvaceous woman figure? :-O

Phlegethon
Thursday, June 3rd, 2004, 03:27 PM
You Want Fries with That?

Wed Jun 2,11:01 AM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Junk foods such as sugary sodas and chips make up nearly one-third of calories in the U.S. diet, researchers said on Tuesday.

A study of 4,700 adults showed that, despite the increased popularity of low-carbohydrate diets, soft drinks and pastries pile on more calories in the daily diet than anything else.

"What is really alarming is the major contribution of 'empty calories' in the American diet," said Gladys Block, a professor of epidemiology and public health nutrition at the University of California, Berkeley, who led the study.

Writing in the June issue of the Journal of Food Chemistry and Analysis, Bock and colleagues said that sweets and desserts, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages account for nearly 25 percent of all calories consumed by Americans.

Salty snacks and fruit-flavored drinks add another five percent.

"We know people are eating a lot of junk food, but to have almost one-third of Americans' calories coming from those categories is a shocker. It's no wonder there's an obesity epidemic in this country," Bock said in a statement.

Bock used data from a U.S. government survey called the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. She analyzed the answers of 4,760 adults interviewed in 1999 and 2000.

They were asked to report all the foods they ate in the previous 24 hours.

Sodas contributed 7.1 percent of the total calories eaten. Sweets topped the list, followed by hamburgers, pizza and potato chips.

"It's important to emphasize that sweets, desserts, snacks and alcohol are contributing calories without providing vitamins and minerals," said Block.

"In contrast, such healthy foods as vegetables and fruit make up only 10 percent of the caloric intake in the U.S. diet. A large proportion of Americans are undernourished in terms of vitamins and minerals," Block added.

"You can actually be obese and still be undernourished with regard to important nutrients. We shouldn't be telling people to eat less -- we should be telling people to eat differently."

Theudanaz
Thursday, June 3rd, 2004, 07:12 PM
All the Dutch guys I know my age have a similarly bad diet (frikandel, frikandeau, kalfkroket, kaassoufflé, frites speciaal, frites met stoofvlees, frites saté, frites majonees etc. pizza stokbrood, en altijd pils of cola erbij enne heeeleboel koffie) but seem to be doing much better in terms of health & weight than americans. would this be due to genetic factors or more perhaps meteorological (dutch weather) and all the "fietsen" (bicycling)?

BTW Coca-Cola kills (Columbians [too])

-Thiudans

Phlegethon
Thursday, June 3rd, 2004, 07:57 PM
The Dutch are not that car-obsessed. They actually walk a lot and almost everyone of them rides a bike regularly - basically because they can do that in their country, while I would not even think about it in the U.S. Driving a car there is bad enough because most of the other drivers are either dreaming or suffering from drug-induced hallucinations. I'd say overall the Dutch are more into sports, too. And because of the antibiotics in the frikandels they also don't get sick that often. ;)

Phlegethon
Thursday, June 3rd, 2004, 08:36 PM
Do you hear? Those knockers at your gate...You have slain thier leader;it is right that they slay you...And then in the name of that right shall I not slay them for murdering thier Queen,and be slain in my turn by thier countrymen as the invader of thier Fatherland? Can Rome do less then slay those slayers too, to shew the world how Rome avenges her sons and honor. And so, to the end of history, Murder shall breed murder,always in the name of Right and Honor and Peace, untill the Gods are tired of blood and create a race that understands?................??!! George Bernard Shaw Do you hear? Those knockers at your gate... You have slain their leader; it is right that they slay you... And then in the name of that right shall I not slay them for murdering their Queen, and be slain in my turn by their countrymen as the invader of their Fatherland? Can Rome do less than slay those slayers too, to show the world how Rome avenges her sons and honour. And so, to the end of history, murder shall breed murder, always in the name of Right and Honour and Peace, until the Gods are tired of blood and create a race that understands?................??!!

- George Bernard Shaw

http://www.raywei.net/funnies/signs/illiterate.jpg

Mac Seafraidh
Sunday, August 22nd, 2004, 08:34 PM
With a melody of a kiddy sounding song going around neighborhoods, this form of propaganda will just say c'mon eat something. Little kids running from their homes shouting "ice cream" because of this luring vehicle. The reason why I post this is I heard one in my neighborhood today and I said I got it. I will post about that. Well here is the obesitymobile:

http://www.wfu.edu/users/muehcm3/Web%20Site/Sub%20Pages/Miscellaneous/images/truck.jpg

Tommy Vercetti
Sunday, August 22nd, 2004, 08:42 PM
One of those is terrorizing my neighborhood too. One day I'm going to mine the road

Grimr
Sunday, August 22nd, 2004, 08:48 PM
You can't be serious! Little children running to get Ice cream is a good thing, it teaches them about unity, community and capitalism!

What is this thing with obesity people have developed? It was always my understanding that fat women can give birth to children more easily and body fat protects you from the cold.

Julius
Sunday, August 22nd, 2004, 09:14 PM
The only problem with that theory is that we have the same thing in Sweden. :D

http://www.fagersannaif.com/fifhem2/glassbilen%202.jpg

Mac Seafraidh
Sunday, August 22nd, 2004, 09:17 PM
The Swedish kids limit themselves on the Ice Cream though. American kids buy 2 and 3 things.

Julius
Monday, August 23rd, 2004, 05:13 PM
And now the Germans are attacking you in public. ;)

Subway Sandwiches: "Warum sind die Amis so fett?" (http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/8/18/155111/626)
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/8/18/155111/626
http://www.ff.org/images/trayliner.jpg

(http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/8/18/155111/626)

Taras Bulba
Monday, August 23rd, 2004, 05:29 PM
Theres nothing wrong with Ice Cream trucks. The problem is that American kids dont get off their fat asses once and a while(spend all their time on playstation or something). And as mentioned before, they buy shit loads of ice cream wheras others limit themselves.

Aistulf
Monday, August 23rd, 2004, 06:47 PM
Do they still say "Amis" in Germany? :D And, is that disgusting McDonald's slogan translated to German in Germany? Here it's in it's original ghetto-English (Ebonics).

Mac Seafraidh
Monday, August 23rd, 2004, 07:18 PM

Subway Sandwiches: "Warum sind die Amis so fett?" (http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/8/18/155111/626)
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/8/18/155111/626
http://www.ff.org/images/trayliner.jpg

(http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/8/18/155111/626)
I find that quite humorous. Though they should poll each culture in America to see who is causing us to contain the most lard.

She-Wolf
Monday, August 23rd, 2004, 07:27 PM
It isn't so much the quaint idea of ice cream vans but mostly that the kids end up stuffing their faces in burger kings & macdonalds afterwards, then loads of crappy candy.

Is there a horror film about such an ice-cream float?

Strengthandhonour
Monday, August 23rd, 2004, 08:23 PM
I use to eat a lot and not do anything and I turned fat. I then realized that being fat is a lack of discipline and I got my fat ass and now, I go to the gym almost everyday and I can eat whatever the hell I want :D

OTO
Monday, August 23rd, 2004, 11:01 PM
I had heard that Europe is in this way only 10 years in back of America whit McDonalds and co.

Then you will see little fat kids all over the street, oh no the fat kids dont get out the only sitting in their room and watch TV or something else.

You go to McD and eat something with your hands no cutlery needed no tabelware to wash.
Great for Moms and Dads and they dont see forward what in a few years is whit their children.

Parents have no time for their children, after school they come home nobody is there and so the eat fast food and play videogames or watch TV. Nowone is ther to stop them. And sport is not "cool". So looks it in the most families today.

@ BATAAF

Yes, in Germena we say "Ami" for one and "Amis" for more people from USA.

Phlegethon
Monday, August 23rd, 2004, 11:54 PM
It really helps if you calculate the calories you eat into minutes on the ergometer to burn them. ;) Although there are good and bad calories.

The problme with ice cream vans is not necessarily the ce cream but the fact that they do not have access to fresh water and not enough energy to guarantee a proper cooling. That translates to serious hygienical problems - coli and often also faecal bacteria.

Evolved
Tuesday, August 24th, 2004, 12:12 AM
I was at a store with my mom last week and it seemed like we were the only women there under 200 pounds. And most of them were wearing TANK TOPS and SHORTS to air out their blubber. One of the things I hate about summer. :puke

Johnny Reb
Tuesday, August 24th, 2004, 12:30 AM
What is this thing with obesity people have developed? It was always my understanding that fat women can give birth to children more easily and body fat protects you from the cold.

There's a difference between a "Rubenesque" woman and one who weighs 350 lbs. Either way, there's zero excuse not to exercise and eat a balanced diet nowadays.

I was at a store with my mom last week and it seemed like we were the only women there under 200 pounds. And most of them were wearing TANK TOPS and SHORTS to air out their blubber. One of the things I hate about summer.

It boggles the mind the sort of clothes they can cram themselves into. Who would have thought low-rise jeans would catch on amongst the morbidly obese? Whatever happened to mu-mus?

Taras Bulba
Tuesday, August 24th, 2004, 01:45 AM
I was at a store with my mom last week and it seemed like we were the only women there under 200 pounds. And most of them were wearing TANK TOPS and SHORTS to air out their blubber. One of the things I hate about summer. :puke

Yes people, when you live in the Detroit area you see this a lot. I just saw that the other day at work. Some pregnant chick(or at least she looked pregnant) was wearing a tanktop and her gut was hanging out. WTF is wrong with people?

Dr. Solar Wolff
Tuesday, August 24th, 2004, 02:54 AM
It is not the calories rather the type of calories. Americans shovel-in pounds of refined sugar each week. I know, I used to be one of them. Americans love sweets. Compare a European breakfast to and American breakfast, for example. Kids drink American champagne (Coca-cola) with ever meal. The instant sugar in the bloodstream signals the secretion of insulin. Insulin turns every calorie floating around in the bloodstream into fat. This is especially true of "high fructose corn syrup". The liver can't handle this sugar which is even more simple than others and instantly slams it into fat. This instant fat accumulates in the arteries, around the organs and around the middle. High fructose corn syrup is put in everything as a filler and cheap sugar subsititue. Just read the labels on what you eat--you will be amazed.

Try this for one month. Stop eating simple sugar. Stop eating anything containing high fructose corn syrup. This is not as easy as it sounds because sugar is additive as you will see. You will carve sugar. If you are successful at limiting the sugar intake, I absolutely promise you that your body will lose body fat regardless of caloric intake. I wish I could sell this simple trick.

Stríbog
Tuesday, August 24th, 2004, 03:01 AM
I wish I could sell this simple trick.

Unfortunately, people, especially Americans, want an easy, quick infomercial-type solution. They want a way to lose weight without dieting OR exercise, which is by definition impossible. Your program would require self-discipline, which almost everyone lacks.

The increased consumption of fructose as compared with sucrose, glucose, lactose, etc. is also believed to increase the risk of diabetes and perhaps liver disorders, btw.

Ewergrin
Tuesday, August 24th, 2004, 03:20 AM
The Swedish kids limit themselves on the Ice Cream though. American kids buy 2 and 3 things.

Substantiate this claim, now, please.

AngryPotato
Tuesday, August 24th, 2004, 05:21 AM

Someone in International Marketing is going to get fired tomorrow. :D

AngryPotato
Tuesday, August 24th, 2004, 05:35 AM
You go to McD and eat something with your hands no cutlery needed no tabelware to wash.

Another thing is cost, which is probably a factor in low income obesity.

Put it this way.

Shopping list for a family meal (or just me ;) ) :
8 potato roll buns = $2.59
16 hamburger patties = $25 +/- $5
1/4 lb of cheese = $1.75

McDonalds run for the same thing, including cooking time + free napkins:
8 double cheeseburgers = $7.92

The salads here at McDonalds @ about $3.79 if I remember correctly.

That's a big difference when trying to feed a family. Divide those numbers up and you can pick it out for the cost of one individual.

As for the Ice Cream man, it's all on the parents for giving their children money for the ice cream. Hopefully I won't pass the fat 'gene' to my kids. :P

nicholas
Sunday, August 29th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Americans are fat because they don't get enough guilt free sex.

Nicholas

Esther_Helena
Sunday, August 29th, 2004, 06:43 AM
EWWW, butt floss. It's not just icecream. I grew up with an ice cream truck, and I am far from obese. I eat fast food too, but not for every meal. One a day at most. Eating at fast food joints and eating fattening food doesn't make Americans fat. Eating ONLY that, and never excercising makes them fat. Occasionally "bad genes" can make you fat too. One of my best friends is rather chubby, and she's the only one in her family who is.

Ewergrin
Sunday, August 29th, 2004, 06:51 AM
This is a joke, right?

http://forums.skadi.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=18384

Nordhammer
Tuesday, August 31st, 2004, 07:02 AM

Substantiate this claim, now, please.

He can't, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

The reality is most kids can't even afford to buy multiple icecreams. My friends and I always bought one thing. If we happened to have more money sometimes we'd buy one of the more expensive kind.

Mac Seafraidh
Tuesday, August 31st, 2004, 07:13 AM

The reality is most kids can't even afford to buy multiple icecreams. My friends and I always bought one thing. If we happened to have more money sometimes we'd buy one of the more expensive kind.
The mother gives them enough pocket change ;) :D

Johnny Reb
Wednesday, September 1st, 2004, 07:04 AM
I eat fast food too, but not for every meal. One a day at most.

You eat fast food once a day? Gross!! :sick
I gave up fast food a while ago, due to a number of reasons. Two of the big ones were: watching a third worlder make my egg McMuffin sans gloves one day, and then reading in the book "Fast Food Nation" that up until 1997, beef companies used to buy cats and dogs from animal shelters to use as cheap feed for the cows.

It's not an unbelievable claim. Obviously, he doesn't mean every single American kid gorges himself at the ice cream truck, but until I saw that picture, I'd never seen an ice cream truck that sold junk food as well as ice cream.
Having a truck full of hot dogs and hamburgers (which are more fattening than a popsicle) drive through the neighbourhood every day is definately going to contribute to obesity. And you'd be suprised at how much money kids have to spend these days. Their purchasing power has risen dramatically over the last decade. I'm not sure on the statistics, but I'd guess at least 90% of American kids can afford to eat junk/fast food every day.

Allenson
Wednesday, September 1st, 2004, 02:52 PM
This thread is making me hungry. :P

Johnny Reb
Wednesday, September 1st, 2004, 09:02 PM
This thread is making me hungry. :P

Here you go! :)

The Blond Beast
Wednesday, September 1st, 2004, 09:12 PM
http://forums.skadi.net//attachment.php?attachmentid=18705

This is simply absurd!

Allenson
Wednesday, September 1st, 2004, 09:35 PM
Here you go! :)

Um, no. I ordered the large burger, not the small. :D

Esther_Helena
Wednesday, September 1st, 2004, 10:07 PM
You eat fast food once a day? Gross!! :sick
I gave up fast food a while ago, due to a number of reasons. Two of the big ones were: watching a third worlder make my egg McMuffin sans gloves one day, and then reading in the book "Fast Food Nation" that up until 1997, beef companies used to buy cats and dogs from animal shelters to use as cheap feed for the cows.
Actually just on Mondays and Wednesdays, but it seems like once a day. I don't have a choice. I have one hour for lunch, and that is not enough time for me to go home. School food - no comment. The only places that are close enough for me to go to and not be late for class are Subway, Bojangles, and Taco Bell.
Also, Wendy's is the only place I'd ever order a cheeseburger from.
As for anything from McDonald's, two words, Hell No.

Johnny Reb
Wednesday, September 1st, 2004, 10:30 PM
Actually just on Mondays and Wednesdays, but it seems like once a day. I don't have a choice. I have one hour for lunch, and that is not enough time for me to go home

Ever heard of a lunchbox? :suspect

Imperator X
Wednesday, September 1st, 2004, 10:56 PM
I am so glad to be out of High School, but when I was there I had very few choices for lunch. I had a choice between greasy chicken nuggets, nachos, hamburgers, pizza and sub par chicken sandwiches. They had Fruitopia for drinks and one bottle of that had 72 grams of sugar! It's because certain companies compete and pay money to have their sh*t in the cafeteria, and all the High School cares about is the football team. Also the school was like 33% black and whenever my stomach was upset I'd have to deal with loud hollering spades in the hallways, and blacks banging on the door asking "Yo, gimme some toilet paper, cuz". They should have segregated bathrooms. :upset.

Esther_Helena
Thursday, September 2nd, 2004, 01:22 AM
Ever heard of a lunchbox? :suspect
Ah lunchboxes...I remember those. Those wouldn't work now. I hate "lunch box food." The drink would be hot by the time I got to eat it. Eww. Also I hate sandwiches. Subs are an exception. Sandwich bread just sticks to my teeth, I don't know why, but it does. Also, while I do cook, it's hard to cram a stove into a lunchbox. And, cramming a frozen dinner into one, forget it.
By the way, on the PM... I'm 125 lbs. I'm no piggy. I think the Skadi Beauty contest thread will prove that as well. And another thing, a year or two ago, for the sheer hell of it, I ate only sugary foods for a week-end, Cookies, chocolate, jell-o, cheese nips for good measure. Crap like that and drank sugary ice tea and sodas. I lost 5 lbs. So nyah nyah nyah :P

Nordhammer
Thursday, September 2nd, 2004, 01:30 AM
Um, no. I ordered the large burger, not the small. :D

Yeah, that's the jr. burger value meal. ;)

Johnny Reb
Thursday, September 2nd, 2004, 02:48 AM
Ah lunchboxes...I remember those. Those wouldn't work now. I hate "lunch box food." The drink would be hot by the time I got to eat it. Eww. Also I hate sandwiches. Subs are an exception. Sandwich bread just sticks to my teeth, I don't know why, but it does. Also, while I do cook, it's hard to cram a stove into a lunchbox. And, cramming a frozen dinner into one, forget it.

Healthy foods like chicken, pasta, steak, etc, can all be eaten cold. And the only drink you need is water.

By the way , on the PM... I'm 125 lbs. I'm no piggy. I think the Skadi Beauty contest thread will prove that as well.

That was meant more about your eating habits. You have a nice figure. Either that or you were wearing a girdle in those photos. :-O

Esther_Helena
Thursday, September 2nd, 2004, 06:41 AM
Healthy foods like chicken, pasta, steak, etc, can all be eaten cold. And the only drink you need is water.

That was meant more about your eating habits. You have a nice figure. Either that or you were wearing a girdle in those photos. :-O
I hate water, it just tastes nasty to me. I grew up on tea, so it's like water to me. Also, I don't wear a girdle, lol. I'll admit I own one, but I only wear it for horseback riding as it forces me to sit up straight. I eat fine. It's not about eating junk, it's about moderation.

friedrich braun
Tuesday, December 7th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Americans weigh down cruise ship

07dec04

DOZENS of seats on the world's most luxurious cruise liner have collapsed under the weight of obese American passengers.

The chairs -- on the Queen Mary 2 -- are being replaced or repaired.
The seating is mainly in the bar and restaurant areas.

Alstom Chantiers, the French company that provided the liner with all its fixtures and fittings, claimed many of the chairs had buckled under the weight of larger passengers.

"There are some things that need to be changed or replaced," said a spokesman. "For instance, there are some problems with the chairs because some of our passengers are heavier than we imagined.

"It's not an English problem, it's probably more American."

An unnamed former member of the ship's crew said: "We do have many large passengers on the QM2. Most of the passengers are American.

"And we do have 10 restaurants on the ship, so if they are big when they get on, they tend to be bigger when they get off."
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,11609204%255E663,00.html

Mistress Klaus
Tuesday, December 7th, 2004, 02:33 PM
:rotfl:
This is actually disgusting...I hate fat slobs.

NSFreja
Tuesday, December 7th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Well well well, what can i say :rofl: I better be quiet :icon_evil

/M

Nightmare_Gbg
Tuesday, December 7th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Well well well, what can i say :rofl: I better be quiet :icon_evil

/M

What,are you going to be an american?

NSFreja
Tuesday, December 7th, 2004, 03:02 PM
What,are you going to be an american?Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................ .that cause at least -10 on your accunt ;)

H*ll no....who wants to live there?! Oh forgot, the fat people ;)

/M

Nightmare_Gbg
Tuesday, December 7th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Please stop,you'r killing me.

Dr. Brandt
Tuesday, December 7th, 2004, 03:14 PM
http://www.elx.com.au/images/products/full/0713997397.jpg

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/sony_pictures_classics/the_triplets_of_belleville/triplets5.jpg

-----
Not only fat and irresponsible, but also stupid and greedy! No wonder they like to watch their actionfilms like "Rambo" and "Terminator" and sci-fi series like "Baywatch" - thats the picture they have of themselves which is - of course - like everything else in amerikwa.... FAKE!
------

Fat Americans sue fast food firms

More than half of all adult Americans are overweight

A group of overweight Americans have sued several US fast food giants accusing them of knowingly serving meals that cause obesity and disease.

The lawsuit - filed in New York State Supreme Court in the Bronx - says that McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's and Kentucky Fried Chicken misled customers by enticing them with greasy, salty and sugary food.

"The fast-food industry has wrecked my life," Caesar Barbar, one of plaintiffs, told the New York Post.

Mr Barbar - a 57-year-old maintenance supervisor who weighs almost 125 kilograms (275 pounds) - said he regularly ate fast food until 1996, when a doctor warned his diet could potentially kill him.

Mr Barbar said he had already had two heart attacks and has been suffering from diabetes.

'Bad eating habits'

"I always thought it was good for you. I never thought there was anything wrong with it," he said.

A recent assessment of obesity in the US found that more than a half of all adult Americans were overweight.

About 54 million adults were classified as obese - that is people who are about 15 kilos or more over the healthy norm based on height - and hundreds of thousands of deaths each year were attributed to obesity-related diseases.

Health groups say one of the biggest culprits
------

Herrrrrrrrrrrrrre she comes Miss A mericaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

http://www.uglypeople.com/uploaded/18609/funny2.jpg

http://www.uglypeople.com/uploaded/18609/ugly3.jpg

EAEric
Tuesday, December 7th, 2004, 03:17 PM
From the European Association for the Study of Obesity's 2003 report: Obesity in Europe (http://www.easoobesity.org/temp/report72.pdf):

"Obesity is rising at an alarming rate throughout Europe. It forms a pan-European epidemic that presents a major barrier to the prevention of chronic non-communicable diseases. At least 135 million EU citizens are affected and perhaps another 70 million in those countries seeking to join. In many countries now significantly more than half the adult population is overweight and up to 30% of adults are clinically obese."

A third of you are obese. Keep up the good work. :beer-smil

EAEric
Tuesday, December 7th, 2004, 03:19 PM

Same holds true of Europeans. :icon_ques

friedrich braun
Tuesday, December 7th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Hardee's Monster Burger Creates Uproar

2 hours, 37 minutes ago

By JIM SUHR, AP Business Writer

ST. LOUIS - At 1,420 calories and 107 grams of fat, Hardee's Monster Thickburger couldn't escape notice in these diet-conscious times. Or the jabs of late-night talk show hosts.

Data provided by Reuters

Just a day after the Monster's rollout Nov. 15, Jay Leno quipped on "The Tonight Show" that the megaburger "actually comes in a little cardboard box shaped like a coffin." On David Letterman's "Late Show," an actor playing the chief of Hardee's corporate parent, CKE Restaurants Inc., in a sketch clutched his chest, then keeled over when asked of any health risks of a burger that size.

Media outlets from Japan, Spain, England, France and Australia have reported about the Monster.

"I don't think any of us anticipated anything like the media uproar we've seen," says Andy Puzder, the real president and CEO of California-based CKE.

But the word-of mouth advertising, coming on top of a new ad campaign, has had just the impact the company wanted. People have just had to try the Monster. All of it.

"You can certainly say it exceeded all my expectations," Puzder said of sales, although he declined to offer specifics.

The fuss is all about a super-supersized burger — two 1/3-pound slabs of all-Angus beef, four strips of bacon, three slices of cheese and mayonnaise on a buttered sesame seed bun. The sandwich alone sells for $5.49, or $7.09 with fries and a soda. The combo packs more calories and fat than most people should get in a day.

A Monster Thickburger bought by a reporter Monday at a St. Louis Hardee's was presented appealingly enough, wrapped neatly in light paper and standing a whopping 2 1/2 inches tall inside a box. But the double-pattied behemoth, bought as part of combo with French fries and a drink, stretched the mouth and stomach, too much for the reporter to absorb in one sitting.

Hardee's timing is interesting; McDonald's, Wendy's and other rival fast-food giants are offering salads and other lower-calorie fare. But Hardee's appears comfortable staking its future — at least near-term — on gargantuan burgers.

Hardee's already was offering five sandwiches with 1,000 calories or more, and eight overall that have more calories than what was once the big-burger standard — the 560-calorie Big Mac.

Still, the company has plenty of competition when it comes to big-calorie sandwiches. According to the corporate Web sites of the larger fast-food chains, the Double Quarter Pounder with cheese at McDonald's has 730 calories and 40 grams of fat, the Burger King Double Whopper with cheese (1,060 calories, 69 grams of fat), and the Wendy's Classic Triple with cheese (940 and 56).

"Not every product has to be aimed at the health-conscious," Puzder said, noting that since the introduction of the Thickburger family in April 2003, sales for the 2,067-restaurant chain have risen steadily.

Though CKE fell to a loss in the second-quarter ending Aug. 9 — given charges for settlement reserves and debt refinancing — the company said sales at its Hardee's and the Carl's Jr. chains rose in the four weeks ended Nov. 1 for the 17th straight reporting period.

Edwin Depke, 80, a retired box company worker who has long loved the Thickburgers, was won over by the Monster at a St. Louis Hardee's.

Calories schmalories, he said.

"They're big and thick, with all the trimmings," Depke said. "You don't have to worry about all bun and no meat."

"They're really good. Eat one, and you don't have to worry about another. It's a meal."

Still, many have questioned Hardee's approach at a time when airlines say America's growing waistlines are hurting their bottom lines, costing them more in fuel.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest, a Washington-based advocate for nutrition and health, dubbed the Thickburgers "food porn," the Monster "the fast-food equivalent of a snuff film."

"At a time of rampant heart disease and obesity, it is the height of corporate irresponsibility for a major chain to peddle a 1,420-calorie sandwich," the center said.

Lighten up, others say.

"Let the food puritans say what they will," the Star Tribune of Minneapolis said in an editorial. "There's nothing really wrong with counting the occasional juicy burger among life's simple pleasures."

"The promotional campaign has relied so heavily on humor that it seems possible to take the Monster Thickburger itself as kind of a goof on the fast-food industry's belated and rather lame, lawsuit-driven trend toward healthier menu choices," the newspaper said, asking "does anyone who savors a good green salad really think McDonald's or Subway is the place to go?"

Chase Squires, a St. Petersburg (Fla.) Times reporter, tried the Monster Thickburger and found it "kind of mushy," opining in a column Nov. 23 that there were healthier food options. Holiday air travelers, he suggested, should go lighter on the airlines and "have a stick of butter instead. That has only 800 calories and 88 grams of fat. We could always wrap it in bacon."

Puzder has the stomach for such dissent.

"We want Hardee's to be known as the place for big, juicy, decadent burgers," he says. "Every time (comics or critics) come out with something, it helps us advance the impression of the brand. This all helps."

___

On the Net:

CKE Restaurants Inc., www.ckr.com
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=541&u=/ap/20041207/ap_on_he_me/fit_monster_burger_2&printer=1

Dr. Brandt
Tuesday, December 7th, 2004, 03:45 PM
"They're really good. Eat one, and you don't have to worry about another. ....."

LOL yeah! Because youre dead! :rotfl:

Allenson
Tuesday, December 7th, 2004, 04:58 PM
We're not all fat..... :suomut:

Mistress Klaus
Tuesday, December 7th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Australia is fast catching up to America for being fat.
I can't even buy my usual standard Size 10 (Aust sizes) anymore...They fall off me...The bastards have made the clothes bigger but kept the sizing number the same. (To make the fatty females feel good about themselves...what a lie!...They think they are fitting into a 10, when in reality it is a 14) :redface: Stupid world.

GreenHeart
Tuesday, December 7th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Australia is fast catching up to America for being fat.
I can't even buy my usual standard Size 10 (Aust sizes) anymore...They fall off me...The bastards have made the clothes bigger but kept the sizing number the same. (To make the fatty females feel good about themselves...what a lie!...They think they are fitting into a 10, when in reality it is a 14) :redface: Stupid world.

At 125 pounds I was still too skinny to fit into US womens size Small! I've consistenly had to buy juniors.

Not all Americans are fat. Obesity is a sign of laziness and a sick soul. It's a German problem too, it's all over the in the news.

cosmocreator
Wednesday, December 8th, 2004, 03:08 AM
There's talk here in Canada about Canada being the 2nd country in the world, after Denmark, to ban trans fats.

http://www.bantransfats.com/

DreamWalker
Wednesday, December 8th, 2004, 05:16 AM
:rolleyes:

USS Dixiecrat
Wednesday, December 8th, 2004, 08:05 AM
http://www.elx.com.au/images/products/full/0713997397.jpg

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/sony_pictures_classics/the_triplets_of_belleville/triplets5.jpg

-----
Not only fat and irresponsible, but also stupid and greedy! No wonder they like to watch their actionfilms like "Rambo" and "Terminator" and sci-fi series like "Baywatch" - thats the picture they have of themselves which is - of course - like everything else in amerikwa.... FAKE!
------

Fat Americans sue fast food firms

A group of overweight Americans have sued several US fast food giants accusing them of knowingly serving meals that cause obesity and disease.

The lawsuit - filed in New York State Supreme Court in the Bronx - says that McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's and Kentucky Fried Chicken misled customers by enticing them with greasy, salty and sugary food.

"The fast-food industry has wrecked my life," Caesar Barbar, one of plaintiffs, told the New York Post.

Mr Barbar - a 57-year-old maintenance supervisor who weighs almost 125 kilograms (275 pounds) - said he regularly ate fast food until 1996, when a doctor warned his diet could potentially kill him.

Mr Barbar said he had already had two heart attacks and has been suffering from diabetes.

'Bad eating habits'

"I always thought it was good for you. I never thought there was anything wrong with it," he said.

A recent assessment of obesity in the US found that more than a half of all adult Americans were overweight.

About 54 million adults were classified as obese - that is people who are about 15 kilos or more over the healthy norm based on height - and hundreds of thousands of deaths each year were attributed to obesity-related diseases.

Health groups say one of the biggest culprits
------

Herrrrrrrrrrrrrre she comes Miss A mericaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

http://www.uglypeople.com/uploaded/18609/funny2.jpg

http://www.uglypeople.com/uploaded/18609/ugly3.jpg

Damn those women are nigger bait!! :rofl:

Mistress Klaus
Saturday, December 11th, 2004, 01:17 AM
Are you sure about that Skadi? :rolleyes:

:tongue: Sure about what?...That Australians are fast becoming a majority of fatties or/and that the sizing of clothes has changed? Both!... I am 100% sure about the sizing conspiracy..I have been 50kg (and the same measurements) since 16...I know my size...The major fashion stores have even admitted that they have altered the sizes!

It is also known that the average women of today are generally 'larger' than past times.. being the average size 14-16 (present day)......from 10-12 size in the 1950's.

Perhaps people should take up smoking & physical hard work again... :laugh: Instead of back filling their stomachs & sitting on their arses. :speechles

HowlingOskorei
Saturday, December 11th, 2004, 03:54 AM
Well, I can attest to this. I have been on a cruise and I saw some fat people. The worst thing is, all they do is eat! Of all the things to do on a cruise ship (pools, tennis courts, duty-free shops, gyms, concerts, plays, spas, casinos, I can go on forever), all they do is hang out at the buffet. Mind you, the food on the ship I was on was good, but not so good that I could not stop eating and go enjoy the other activities the cruise ship has to offer.

I like to call these people "benchers", because they are so damn fat they take up the whole bench!

I also work in the tourism industry here in Nova Scotia, I see a lot of benchers in the average work day.

Dr. Brandt
Sunday, December 12th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Tadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

http://forums.skadi.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2518&stc=1

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Perun
Sunday, December 12th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Tadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

http://forums.skadi.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2518&stc=1

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:rotfl:

"Look, we're Americans: optimistic, addicted to the quick fix, constantly on the hunt for the new and exotic. It's much easier for us to accept a guy with a big white beard hawking his own custom blend of saw palmetto and squirrel dandruff that it is to hear a real doctor telling us to lay off the Big Macs, and get off our fat asses and take a walk every decade or so."
-- Dennis Miller

Blutwölfin
Sunday, September 3rd, 2006, 04:10 PM
Adult obesity rates increased in 31 states during the past year, leaving an estimated two-thirds of Americans vulnerable to fatal diseases such as diabetes, stroke and cancer.

This, despite federal and state government efforts to curb the overweight epidemic, according to a new report from the Trust for America's Health.

The report, titled F as in Fat: How Obesity Policies Are Failing America, 2006, was released Tuesday and is the third in a series of annual reports by the trust detailing state obesity rates as well as the effectiveness of government policies to fight the problem.

According to official figures, the adult obesity rate rose from 15 percent in 1980 to 32 percent in 2004. Combine that with the number of Americans who are overweight but not obese, and the figure stands at 64 percent. And the childhood obesity rate more than tripled between 1980 and 2004, from 5 percent to 17 percent.

"The most important news in this report is that the obesity epidemic in America is getting worse," Jeff Levi, executive director of Trust for America's Health, said at a Tuesday morning press conference. "The percentage of obese adults exceeds 25 percent in 13 states. That should sound some serious alarm bells."

At the root of the epidemic is a combination of poor nutrition and lack of physical activity, the report stated. Being either overweight or obese increases the risk for a variety of serious health problems, including type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke and some cancers.

"What's particularly distressing is that we think we understand why this is happening. It's happening because the environment is built to promote obesity, and it is so pervasive that in order to make changes, we really need to change everything," said Cathy Nonas, director of the obesity and diabetes programs at North General Hospital in New York City and a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association.

The new report has Mississippi weighing in as the "largest" state, with 29.5 percent of its adult population considered obese. Alabama and West Virginia are second and third with 28.7 percent and 28.6 percent of the adult population, respectively, in the super-size category. Mississippi also has the highest combined level of obese plus overweight adults -- 67.3 percent.

Overall, the South is the "Biggest Belt," containing nine of the 10 states with the highest obesity rates. The region is also home to nine of the 10 states with the highest rates of diabetes and hypertension, both of which are associated with obesity.

Colorado is the "thinnest" state, with an adult obesity rate of only 16.9 percent. Other "thin" states are in the West and Northeast, including Hawaii (18.2 percent), Massachusetts (18.6 percent), Rhode Island (19.5 percent) and Montana (19.9 percent).

Obesity rates remained stable in 18 states plus the District of Columbia.

Every single state in the union failed to make enough progress to meet the national goal of reducing adult obesity levels to 15 percent or less by the year 2010, according to the report.

"The 2004 and 2005 documents reported that there was no strategic policy to address obesity," Levi said. "The 2006 report shows little improvement. While there are innovative promising pilot programs under way in some parts of the country, for the most part, federal and state policies are limited in scope, designed for the short term and woefully underfunded."

"It's a shared responsibility involving individual and society," he added.

"We believe that all stakeholders must be involved if changes are to take place," said Dr. Jeffrey P. Koplan, vice president for academic affairs at Emory University's Woodruff Health Science Center, and chairman of the Institute of Medicine Committee on Progress in Preventing Childhood Obesity.

Among the report's other findings:
The percentage of adults who are obese or overweight exceeds 60 percent in 28 states. West Virginia has the highest rate of type 2 diabetes among adults (10.4 percent) while Alaska has the lowest rate (4.5 percent). Mississippi has the highest rate of adult hypertension (32.7 percent) and Utah the lowest (19.8 percent). Seven states now have body mass index screening requirements in schools. All states except South Dakota have school physical education requirements, while 44 states plus Washington, D.C., have school health education requirements. There is little enforcement capability in either of these cases, however. Seventeen states plus Washington, D.C., have passed taxes on junk food or sodas.

Efforts to combat the obesity epidemic have failed to meet their goals, Nonas said. "I don't think they're going far enough," she said. "The perfect example of this is the physical-education and health-education requirements, where states have very little ability to enforce it. It's good that people are doing this, but it's not enough."

The report also offered a 20-step action plan to address the obesity crisis. Recommendations include improved nutritional labeling on foods; community-driven efforts to increase access to healthy foods in low-income areas; improved nutritional content on foods and beverages served and sold in schools; an improved physical environment with more and better sidewalks, parks and bike paths; better physical fitness curricula in schools; and employer-sponsored programs to increase physical activity and provide better insurance coverage for preventive services.

A recent study in the New England Journal of Medicine found that being obese in midlife dramatically increases your risk of dying early. People who are overweight when they are 50 have a 20 percent to 40 percent increased risk of dying prematurely. For obese people, the risk of premature death is two to three times that of normal-weight people. The primary causes of death in the group studied were heart disease and cancer.

Source (http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20060830/hl_hsn/31statesrecordincreasesinadultobesity)

Sigurd
Wednesday, May 20th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Staff note: discussion about obesity in the USA has been split from this thread (https://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?p=947962#post947962).

Meat from supermarkets is filled with chemicals which are unhealthy. Fried meat, greasy meat tastes good, but the effects can be monstrous. Look at Americans.

I'd rather think that the reason why Americans are more prone to be overweight would not be because of an unhealthier diet, but because of a culture which seems to preclude any type of minimal exercise even.

If I head to the stores in town, about half a mile away, I walk as it's just ten minutes. If the American visits his friend three doors down, he takes his car. Suggest to your average American that he be walking to get his shopping done, he'll declare you insane.

Other than that, the "Fat American" is an over-used stereotype. I have 12 cousins over there, 7 of which in Texas ("fattest US state") and 11 of them are of absolutely normal built, the other is only marginally overweight. But then again, some of them played sports at college level, both male and female

It's a matter of general lifestyle just as much as, if not more than, diet. ;)

Moderation is the key.

No, exercise is the key. If you or I ate the amount that your average professional cyclist does, or even nearly as unhealthy as them then we'd soon look like Ottfried Fischer. Since they're on their bikes for five hours, tackling three mountains in the process, they are of athletic build. :shrug

Jäger
Wednesday, May 20th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Texas ("fattest US state")
According to this: http://forums.skadi.net/showpost.php?p=864579&postcount=19 , Mississippi is the "fattest" state, with an average BMI of 31.6 (!), this is hilarious, this is on average, I am still puzzled by this, I really would like to know the spread of this statistic.

It's a matter of general lifestyle just as much as, if not more than, diet. ;)
The diet is part of the lifestyle.

No, exercise is the key.
Moderation is always the key. Excessive exercises like e.g. marathon runners do perform, are very unhealthy.
You are however right, exercise is important.

TheGreatest
Wednesday, May 20th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I'd rather think that the reason why Americans are more prone to be overweight would not be because of an unhealthier diet, but because of a culture which seems to preclude any type of minimal exercise even.

America is not the fattest nation in the world and such a prestigious title belongs to Mexico.
And Sigurd, I saw plenty of fatties in Bavaria, so don't tell me it is cultural differences (especially our supposed laziness).

Rather here at least it is more infrastructure related. European life is more compact and everything is in walking difference. Not to forget that your meal portions are less generous than ours. It took me awhile to get re-accustomed to the portions here once coming home.

Here, people would rather drive for five minutes than spend a half hour walking on pollution-swamped sidways to the mall.

Sigurd, I don't mind exercising or walking. I would LOVE to walk in the pristine country side and breathe clean crystal air like the kind in Switzerland or Bavaria. But I choke and get bloated after 20 minutes on our streets here, because of hundreds of automobiles going by and pumping out fumes and toxins.

Sigurd
Wednesday, May 20th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Mississippi is the "fattest" state, with an average BMI of 31.6 (!), this is hilarious, this is on average

An arithmetic mean as an average is still very susceptible to correcting average figures upwards. The specimens can only be below average so far (With a BMI of 14 you're virtually dead), but can be far beyond average (You've got numerous people with a BMI of 30 - eqaully far from the "healthy average" of 20-24).

For example take a sports team whose attendance over a season of 20 games is as follows:

11,000 - 11,000 - 11,500 - 7,000 - 6,500 - 10,000 - 12,000 - 8,500 - 9,000 - 8,000 - 9,200 - 9,100 - 9,000 - 9,350 - 10,200 - 7,000 - 7,000 - 9,000 - 11,000 - 72,900.

This would make an average of 12412-12413 supporters. Despite the fact that 19/20 games had an attendance less than that, it is the one with the exceedingly high attendance which raised the arithmetic mean so far to make 95% of all games to be "below average attendance".

Likewise, use a sample of 20 people and their BMIs as follows:

43,7 - 43,3 - 17,5 - 17,3 - 24,0 - 24,0 - 23,9 - 23,1 - 23,9 - 23,8 - 23,8 - 23,1 - 23,9 - 23,5 - 23,7 - 23,9 - 23,8 - 17,5 - 17,7 - 43,1

This sample thus consists of: 13 healthy people, 3 dangerously overweight people and 4 dangerously underweight people.

This study would find that this population sample's average BMI was 25,425 and thus above the "healthy average" of 20-24. A study would find that at large, it would be healthy for this population to reduce their weight a little.

See where the danger in that may lie? ;)

Other than that, BMI is a bad indicator, as it does not take into account bone structure, physiological build, torso/leg ratio nor muscle mass: According to BMI both Arnold Schwarzenegger and Hermann Maier would be considered "overweight". ;)

Jäger
Wednesday, May 20th, 2009, 06:32 PM
See where the danger in that may lie? ;)
I see it, and have been seeing it, what else I see, is that you are not accustomed to statistical vocabulary, since that is the very reason I wanted to know the spread (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_dispersion). ;) :)

Other than that, BMI is a bad indicator, as it does not take into account bone structure, physiological build, torso/leg ratio nor muscle mass: According to BMI both Arnold Schwarzenegger and Hermann Maier would be considered "overweight". ;)
I know, yet Arnold Schwarzenegger and Hermann Maier are not typical either. For most people a BMI of over 30 means being obese. Depending on the sample size, the Schwarzeneggers among them are insignificant.
It would somehow indicate that all naturally skinny people somehow live in Colorado. The very low BMI of Colorado is also still quite surprising, and your Schwarzenegger argument would make it even scarier.

Sigurd
Wednesday, May 20th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I see it, and have been seeing it, what else I see, is that you are not accustomed to statistical vocabulary, since that is the very reason I wanted to know the spread (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_dispersion).

LOL, my bad. I do know what "spread" means, I just overlooked your mention of it. For some reason the first half of the paragraph clicked and the latter part went straight out the other ear. :hide

For most people a BMI of over 30 means being obese.

Having long legs, an extremely solid bone structure and frame, actually my BMI is 30.4 - you have seen my pictures: Do I look "obese" or "dangerously overweight"? A little robust-built but obese? - I don't think so.

My father is the same height and is even slightly lighter than I, but is of somewhat less robust build (i take the robust build from my mother's side) and thus actually is much more overweight for his frame.

As I said, BMI does not take frame into account and frame, muscular mass, bone structure and torso/leg ration can make quite a difference. In fact, the difference is up to 10kg.

I can certainly believe being 10kg overweight, but never 20kg overweight, nor can I believe being 26kg over my "ideal weight": If I weighed 77kg I wouldn't be skinny, I'd be anorexic. :P

Jäger
Wednesday, May 20th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Do I look "obese" or "dangerously overweight"?
It still doesn't count, if you are not "most people", trying to prove this assertion with a few individuals is not sufficient.

Vandal Lord
Wednesday, May 20th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I noticed that in the US eating meat is some plebeian way of expressing masculinity, and as it is with the plebs, they do not know any moderation, and equate more meat with more masculinity (strength), at the same time even poisoning their meat to fulfill this high demand.
Meat is an important part of our diet, and indeed needed to healthily develop strength, but overdosing on it is not healthy, neither for the eater nor for the eaten, and it seems many have totally lost any sense of measurement in this regard.
Only a few decades ago, before the population was flooded with antibiotic and hormone infested meat for everyday consumption, people functioned better.

I think it is more of an exaggeration or a running joke that American men just eat tons of red meat to bulk up or try to be more masculine. If anything for the last several years in the U.S. there was a big anti meat campaign by environmental vegetarians, vegans and members of PETA to demonize the eating of meat. Some Hollywood celebrities got involved and it became trendy for many Americans to become temporary vegetarians but the fad is dieing out and they are going back to eating meat again. Americans men as well as women consume a large portion of meat yearly, mostly due to our large cattle industries. We do however have a large selection of beef to select from ranging from lower fat beef to organic beef.

Meat from supermarkets is filled with chemicals which are unhealthy. Fried meat, greasy meat tastes good, but the effects can be monstrous. Look at Americans.

I see that American Obesity has been brought up, I think what Non-Americans have to keep in mind is that Blacks and Mestizos are largely the ones that have inflated obesity rates in the U.S. I am not saying there are not any obese White Americans but obesity is actually much more of a problem among these races. It is usually considered politically incorrect to point this out in the mainstream media. Mississippi was mentioned by Jäger but this state has a large black population. Sigurd mentioned Texas which has a very large mestizo population. Here is a link to an article on minority obesity in America:

http://obesity1.tempdomainname.com/subs/fastfacts/Obesity_Minority_Pop.shtml

Quote, "Overweight and obesity in the U.S. occur at higher rates in racial / ethnic minority populations such as African American and Hispanic Americans, compared with White Americans."

I have to say I am getting a little tired of Non-Americans that are quick to believe "any" negative stereotype they hear about us Americans. I hear a lot of negative stereotypes about Europeans but I do not automatically believe them at face value. This thread for example is about Germans eating too much meat and yet it has turned into another negative stereotype discussion about Americans.

Jäger
Thursday, May 21st, 2009, 10:26 AM
I have to say I am getting a little tired of Non-Americans that are quick to believe "any" negative stereotype they hear about us Americans.
Americans being fat is no stereotype it is a statistical fact. The European countries that are getting fatter, are also the ones with the closest "cultural" dieting ties to America.
Having 28% obesity among whites is still fat, even excluding racial "minorities". It is important to do something against this.

Vandal Lord
Friday, May 22nd, 2009, 03:40 AM
Americans being fat is no stereotype it is a statistical fact. The European countries that are getting fatter, are also the ones with the closest "cultural" dieting ties to America.
Having 28% obesity among whites is still fat, even excluding racial "minorities". It is important to do something against this.

There is obesity among white Americans I don't dispute this but in the link I provided showed that certain Americans are primarily responsible for America's obesity rates as I mentioned before, blacks and mestizos. Ironically in the case of mestizos many of them are not even American citizens but our added in our National figures. TheGreatest has already pointed out that Mexico not the U.S. has the highest obesity rates in the world.

There are some experts and groups that are starting to challenge and debunk various beliefs and misconceptions on the frequency and causes of obesity. Here is a link to a site that lists several Obesity Myths.

An Epidemic of Obesity Myths: http://www.obesitymyths.com/

Jäger
Friday, May 22nd, 2009, 10:33 AM
TheGreatest has already pointed out that Mexico not the U.S. has the highest obesity rates in the world.
He seems to be wrong: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity
I do not dispute that primitive races are more prone to get obese, yet even acknowledging that, it doesn't address the problem of American "food and exercising" culture, in which many whites are trapped as well.

I would say Mexico is so fat, because it has overtaken American food culture, e.g. "Fast Food". Do you think this is untrue?

There are some experts and groups that are starting to challenge and debunk various beliefs and misconceptions on the frequency and causes of obesity.
Myths that seem to be invented by Americans as well. Only fair you get rid of them. :|

Vandal Lord
Tuesday, May 26th, 2009, 02:25 AM
He seems to be wrong: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity
I do not dispute that primitive races are more prone to get obese, yet even acknowledging that, it doesn't address the problem of American "food and exercising" culture, in which many whites are trapped as well.

I guess TheGreatest was mistaken, he may have confused the trend of Mexico surpassing America in Obesity in the next few years. The study you did post however is dated from 2005, there has been more recent obesity studies. For instance a obesity study dating from 2007 shows that Germany had surpassed the the United Kingdom as the most obese country in Europe. http://www.physorg.com/news97339034.html

I would say Mexico is so fat, because it has overtaken American food culture, e.g. "Fast Food". Do you think this is untrue?

Well Mexican food can be quite fating on its own. I am not saying Mexicans don't eat any fast food but Mexican food depending upon how it is prepared can have high levels of saturated fat combing and mixing several fatty cheeses and many Mexicans in Mexico still like to cook with large amounts of lard. Mexicans also consume large amounts of sugar, I was surprised to recently hear how many varieties of traditional Mexican candies and sweets there are. Not everybody who is obese is due to eating fast food, there are some obese people who eat very little if any fast food. Some obese people eat large quantities of other junk food and sweets that are not all necessarily American in origin but from their own country. I doubt every obese British or German person is obese because they exclusively ate American fast/junk food, there is plenty of decadence in Europe without American influence. Besides diet and food consumption there is also the factor of insufficient exercise, increasing inactivity and sentary jobs or lifestyles in Western Countries Post WW2. Westerners working more desk jobs instead of being out and about working outside like previous generations, instead having foreigners and immigrants increasingly working these more physical oriented jobs.

Myths that seem to be invented by Americans as well. Only fair you get rid of them. :|

Well I don't know if every single one of these obesity myths has its origin in America but there some very interesting ones. Like for example if one uses BMI or "Body Mass Index" to measure obesity in someone like Arnold Schwarzenegger, the BMI would state that he is obese when he is clearly not, suggesting BMI is a flawed way to measure obesity. http://www.obesitymyths.com/myth1.1.htm

Jäger
Tuesday, May 26th, 2009, 07:02 AM
For instance a obesity study dating from 2007 shows that Germany had surpassed the the United Kingdom as the most obese country in Europe.
This is indeed interesting, given that this would mean Germany has jumped 8 (eight) places within two years.
However, there doesn't seem to be any public data newer than 2006.

Some obese people eat large quantities of other junk food and sweets that are not all necessarily American in origin but from their own country.
The origin of the specific meal wasn't my point, it was more about how food is handled, how it is incorporated into daily life.
The fact that most large resellers/producers of Mexican food are American in origin, or simply try to mimic American resellers/producers, seems to be enough.

Westerners working more desk jobs instead of being out and about working outside like previous generations, instead having foreigners and immigrants increasingly working these more physical oriented jobs.
The reason is always simple: you have a higher energetic intake than energetic output.
Nothing to doubt here.

Like for example if one uses BMI or "Body Mass Index" to measure obesity in someone like Arnold Schwarzenegger, the BMI would state that he is obese when he is clearly not, suggesting BMI is a flawed way to measure obesity.
We already had this discussion.

Still, what is it we are arguing about? America seems to be at least in the top two of the fattest countries, and even excluding their non-European racial elements, they seem still fat.
And the reason is either they eat too much, or they exercise too few.
Both is related to culture, because instinct is rarely a good adviser in this case.

Kogen
Thursday, October 29th, 2009, 12:16 AM
What one person deems as a poor choice another might deem a good choice, obviously the line must be drawn somewhere for choices, but all that can or should be done is have the information about nutrition disseminated.
Well apparently that has not worked, though, has it?

There are obese and immoral people in your country, as well as where this idea of choice has spread due to American politics/media.

Ormus
Thursday, October 29th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Well apparently that has not worked, though, has it?

There are obese and immoral people in your country, as well as where this idea of choice has spread due to American politics/media..

Is this your argument?

Indeed there are, but before America were there no freaks? America is a great scapegoat, and an easy way out, but instead of trying to fight my argument because of my profile try responding as if there wasn't an American flag on my profile.

By the way, I don't disagree with eating organic and healthy foods, since I believe it is better for the environment and the human body, but why force it on other?

Zimobog
Thursday, October 29th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Kogen,

It sounds as if you are saying that Americans are fat, immoral, and stupid or that Americanism amounts to being proud of being fat, immoral, and stupid.

Am I reading this wrong?

Ossi
Thursday, October 29th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Kogen,

It sounds as if you are saying that Americans are fat, immoral, and stupid or that Americanism amounts to being proud of being fat, immoral, and stupid.

Am I reading this wrong?
Are you denying America has a major obesity problem and that it's difficult to find fat people everywhere? It's easier to find them than in Canada.

http://www.losanjalis.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/world-obesity-visualization.jpg

SpearBrave
Thursday, October 29th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Are you denying America has a major obesity problem and that it's difficult to find fat people everywhere? It's easier to find them than in Canada.

http://www.losanjalis.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/world-obesity-visualization.jpg

Those figures also include Negroes and Hispanics which have a higher body fat content than Americans of European ancestry.

Jäger
Thursday, October 29th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Those figures also include Negroes and Hispanics which have a higher body fat content than Americans of European ancestry.
After this: http://www.omhrc.gov/templates/content.aspx?ID=6456 , there is actually little difference, only in females, it seems white females can keep their shape better than any other females, what good fortune :).

Zimobog
Thursday, October 29th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Ossi wrote:

I am not denying anything, I am trying to get a better grasp on what someone said.

So how many fat people is too many? 1 percent? 10 percent? 13 percent? At what point did it become a problem for the American nation?

I've been to Canada several times. I didn't notice fewer fat people there... in fact, in general, I'd say they grow them pretty big in Canada, especially in BC. Big boned is what I'd call them, not fat.

Americans being fat has more to do with overly abundant cheap, empty calories from corn and starch and overprocessed food and sugar drinks. It doesn't have anything to do with meat. Why do these other countries have so many fat people? Does those numbers of fat Greeks, Germans, Koreans, etc. only represent those who vacationed in America?

If I had to choose between giving up veg or meat, I'd do with out veg.

Kogen
Thursday, October 29th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Is this your argument?

Indeed there are, but before America were there no freaks? America is a great scapegoat, and an easy way out, but instead of trying to fight my argument because of my profile try responding as if there wasn't an American flag on my profile.

By the way, I don't disagree with eating organic and healthy foods, since I believe it is better for the environment and the human body, but why force it on other?
Well why not force it? You just said it is better.

Other than your freedom to destroy.

Kogen,

Am I reading this wrong?
1/3 of your country being obese makes you an obese country, yes. The number is rising.

It is immoral/stupid as the means to remove obesity are the same as a natural/moral society. Breast feeding, for example, reduces obesity in the future. Stuffing your face (and children) with McDonalds and so on does not. This is common in America and only started occuring since the 1950s, and even then it only came from America to Europe/other. It did not exist prior.

Studies also show that European youths in America have degraded to the intelligence of the Negro. It has been a constant downward slope since the first World War (Negros actually went up until civil rights, then back down; people use misleading charts of 'Whites' going down to pretend Negros went up [averages compared over time]). This can been seen in America ability to dominate; as each new generation of children become more stupid, the country degrades (and thusly the world's due to American imperialism). The delay is due to children taking several decades to end up influencing the country. With the current rate, America should turn into something like South Africa in the coming decades.

And even despite countries like Germany in the same (or worse) Liberal/racial position, they are not as stupid. Something is wrong with 'Americanism', such as being proud of your freedom to eat garbage.

Despite the infraction I got, I am not taking back what I said. I think this society is freakish and unnatural.

I will quote Yukio Hatoyama from a recent article: "[The United States of America is to blame for] the destruction of human dignity".

Zimobog
Thursday, October 29th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Sorry to repeat myself, but how many fat people is too many?

I am not attacking Canada here, as it is a great country I really admire for it's good Anglo stock and honest, happy big-boned people. But I think we will have a hard time talking about obesity in North America with out some Canadian obesity figures (from a wiki article):

According to Forbes, Canada ranks 35 on a 2007 list of fattest countries with a percentage of 61.1% of its citizens with an unhealthy weight.[1]

2004 study called the Canadian Community Health Survey found 23% of Canadians 18 and older were obese and 36% more were overweight (as determined by body mass index). In children and adolescents, 8% were obese and 18% overweight. Rates of obesity varied significantly between the province, from an obesity rate of 19% in British Columbia to a rate of 34% in Newfoundland and Labrador.

So about 61.1% of your country is so-called "unhealthy weight" yet this is an American problem to you?

Did you have a side of brown gravy with your fries today?

I am going to ignore your comments on American intelligence as they are off topic.

Kogen
Thursday, October 29th, 2009, 11:07 PM
1/3 the total population, around 40% (I am guessing, I cannot remember exact figures) of the children.

SpearBrave
Thursday, October 29th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Despite the infraction I got, I am not taking back what I said. I think this society is freakish and unnatural.

It is only freakish and unnatural to you, because of your lack of knowledge of America. You must have formed this opinion from the media or short visits to very liberal areas. I think I have stated in other post your problem with America is one you have created, based more on stereotypes than facts.

I will address the rest of your post later.

Zimobog
Thursday, October 29th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Germany has a weight problem apparently:

Monday, July 7, 2008
Germany Wakes up to Obesity
As elsewhere in Europe, obesity is on the rise in Germany. According to government statistics, two-thirds of all German men between the ages of 18 and 80 are overweight and almost half of all women have a weight problem. These numbers add up to about 37 million adults and 2 million children and teenagers suffering from some kind of weight related disorders.
For all you mathematicians, that is a higher percentage of overweight people than America's.

Before the weight problem is seen as a European problem...

Mexico has more fat people than the US: (http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/05/the-mexican-obesity-crisis/)

Figures from a 2006 national survey stated that more than a quarter of Mexican children between five and 11 are too heavy – a 40 percent increase since 2000. It also revealed that 72 percent of Mexican adults are now over overweight or obese, which is slightly higher than in the U.S. That’s one statistic that Mexico would prefer not to compete with us on.

Mexico has a weight problem? I thought only American Imperialist pig-dogs were fat... I guess not. Maybe America poisoned all the Mexican's water and that offered to sell them Coca Cola really cheap. I wouldn't put it past us micro-brained fat butt Imperialists :D.

Zimobog
Thursday, October 29th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Kogen wrote:

1/3 the total population, around 40% (I am guessing, I cannot remember exact figures) of the children.

Are you answering my question of "how many fat people is too many"?

Kogen
Friday, October 30th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Yes, because of America.

For all you mathematicians, that is a higher percentage of overweight people than America's.
"Currently, about 119 million, or 64.5%, of US adults are either overweight or obese."

Adding 'overweight' makes for more fat Americans than people in Germany as a total.

It is only freakish and unnatural to you, because of your lack of knowledge of America.
Somehow I doubt it is just me.

You must have formed this [B]opinion from the media or short visits to very liberal areas.
I have formed it by looking at the modern American world and comparing it to the pre-American world.

I think I have stated in other post your problem with America is one you have created, based more on stereotypes than facts.
No, it is all based on reality.

It is much easier to see it when you live outside America and American culture/politics dominate everything. Who else can be blamed for this when the problems never existed prior?

Are you answering my question of "how many fat people is too many"?
Yes, I am using America as the limit for over-doing it. I have no idea what would actually be the wrong number. So add Mexico to the list of fat countries if you want.

SpearBrave
Friday, October 30th, 2009, 12:47 AM
I have formed it by looking at the modern American world and comparing it to the pre-American world.

No, it is all based on reality.

It is much easier to see it when you live outside America and American culture/politics dominate everything. Who else can be blamed for this when the problems never existed prior?

First: did you live in a pre- American world? Or did you get this by reading leftist media.

Second: please post this reality as it is easy to say that without facts.

Third: I have lived and traveled outside the US and have seen what a lack of freedom has caused. And all of these problems existed long before America. Tudor England and Rome had periods of excess for example.

Zimobog
Friday, October 30th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Kogen wrote:

Yes, I am using America as the limit for over-doing it. I have no idea what would actually be the wrong number. So add Mexico to the list of fat countries if you want.

Surely to make such a statement you have a number in mind. Is it one in ten persons, two in ten, three in ten... if I ask for a number the answer cannot be "America" as America is not a number, it is a place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimobog

Kogen wrote:
Yes, because of America.

Yes... because we make being fat look so sexy?
We forced Germans to eat four meals a day? How?

Kogen wrote:
"Currently, about 119 million, or 64.5%, of US adults are either overweight or obese."
Adding 'overweight' makes for more fat Americans than people in Germany as a total.

Zimobog wrote:
Monday, July 7, 2008
Germany Wakes up to Obesity
As elsewhere in Europe, obesity is on the rise in Germany. According to government statistics, [B]two-thirds of all German men between the ages of 18 and 80 are overweight and almost half of all women.

Ok, math wasn't my best subject either but I know that if 2/3's is 66% that is more than 64.5%. :D

Kogen
Friday, October 30th, 2009, 02:01 AM
First: did you live in a pre- American world? Or did you get this by reading leftist media.
I read all sorts of sources, not just 'leftist media'.

Second: please post this reality as it is easy to say that without facts.
Liberalism did not exist in the form it is now until the 1960s, as it diffused from America's sphrere of influence. It is just common knowledge.

Just look at how the world is classed today:

- 1st world - America and its dependants.
- 2nd world - The Soviet Union and its dependants (just Cuba now, I suppose?)
- 3rd world - the rest.

Where do you see that Liberalism/'pop(American) culture' is most rampant?

Now compare that to the fat people (list in the other topic; America, Germany, UK, et cetera).

Third: I have lived and traveled outside the US and have seen what a lack of freedom has caused. And all of these problems existed long before America. Tudor England and Rome had periods of excess for example.
But was it Tudor England and 'Rome' in 1920, for example? And England is an isolated example.

You can blame the Roman Republic too, if you want to. It is similar to the American one.

Surely to make such a statement you have a number in mind. Is it one in ten persons, two in ten, three in ten... if I ask for a number the answer cannot be "America" as America is not a number, it is a place.
I have not conducted or read a formal study to know what accurate numbers should be. I am just saying what America is seems like it is passed the acceptable limit for a healthy society.

Yes... because we make being fat look so sexy?
I never claimed that America created the 'BBW' market, although I would not doubt it.

We forced Germans to eat four meals a day? How?
Well they were not fat prior to being part of America.

Ok, math wasn't my best subject either but I know that if 2/3's is 66% that is more than 64.5%. :D
Germany's adult rate would be 58%, not 66%. Take a look at the mention of gender.

SpearBrave
Friday, October 30th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Kogen,
The leftist radical 60's movement started with the Universities. Those Universities had professors from the Frankfort school. The Frankfort school was a leftist think tank expelled from Germany by Hitler.

Leftist thinking and over indulgence did not start in America. It is here now, but not all Americans are obese only those that over indulg . In fact I see very few obese people on the streets they are all at Wal-Mart or at home watching TV.

Patrioten
Friday, October 30th, 2009, 02:50 AM
The ready availability of food would be a blessing if only people would exercise some self-control and not over-consume unhealthy products. I grew up in the 90s and there wasn't exactly a famine going on in Sweden during this time, if you wanted to you could buy all the candy and soda that you wanted to, and we even had McDonalds to go to if we wanted to eat fastfood every day of the week. But we didn't. Me and my sister could eat candy on saturdays, that was it, and on fridays we usually bought a 1.5liter bottle of Coca Cola for the whole family. When we were really young my mother would make home-made childrens food, no processed stuffs or store bought crap. As we were growing up we would eat home cooked food and we ate at McDonalds very seldom, maybe once every few months tops, and it was considered a treat to get to host your birthday party at McDonalds.

That was how we were raised but these days it's a whole different story. What changed? The amount of products has certainly increased, we probably have more money to spend and the cost of food has gone down but something else has changed also. The family has undergone some pretty radical changes in the last decades or so and so has our values. Single parent households are becoming more and more common, the number of women who focus on their careers rather on their families and who don't have time or don't want to spend time on cooking good wholesome food for the family has increased and that leaves noone to care for the home the way that there used to be. So instead we get microwave dinners, fastfood and all the rest. Good food takes effort and it seems to me that alot of people these days, parents in other words, aren't prepared to put much effort into the food that they are serving to their kids.

Also when I was growing up we sat together as a family to eat our dinner, that was how you got your food, you sat at the table in your own home or in your friends home and ate a home cooked meal together as a family. Going to some fast-food restaurant to eat a meal there on your own or with your friends wasn't an option. I had the money, but you just didn't do it. Food was something you ate as a family. I have a feeling that this is becoming more and more rare. The family is becoming divided, we spend less time as a family and more time apart as individuals. We enjoy our own entertainment as individuals and we also eat alot of our food and beverages and snacks as individuals or part of a group outside of the family. This is much bigger than the fast-food industry. The fast-food industry provides the platform but it is our changing values and family structure that is the root cause of this.

Grey
Friday, October 30th, 2009, 03:21 AM
I think the American way of over-indulging stems from colonial times, when it was completely practical (not to mention many of us have ancestry from the British Isles, where people aren't exactly skinny).

I'm not familiar with traditional food in the North, but Cajun food is damn fattening. But if you eat a few bowls of gumbo, you can go out in the dead of winter and work for hours without getting tired or cold. The food is energizing and warming.

Our culture developed with this appreciation of food (we are the ones who came up with Mardi Grasas in its most prominent form, which had nothing to do with parades or beads and everything to do with feasting and indulging oneself), so even as the food changed, eating itself remained something that one did often. People here find pleasure in simple things, food being one of them. And to be honest, our obese usually aren't those overfattened things you'll see on television. They're bigger, but hard-working, people.

Edit: Before confusion arises, I don't mean to imply that the celebration which we call Mardi Gras isn't important elsewhere. I mean that ours (Literally "Fat Tuesday") is the only one which equated the celebration almost entirely with gluttony.

Zimobog
Friday, October 30th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Kogen wrote:

I never claimed that America created the 'BBW' market, although I would not doubt it.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa106/eldertroth888/r164b.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa106/eldertroth888/r160bm.jpg

Ossi
Friday, October 30th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Ya, Germany has a fat problem too. The difference is Germans won't be in denial and taking offense so easily about it. The reason people are getting fatter nowadays is not Americans, it's the capitalist consumerist culture, which promotes greed and quantity, and in bad quality. Some of the ideas and brands to put it in practice have been imported from America though, see McDonalds and other BS.

Ormus
Friday, October 30th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Ya, Germany has a fat problem too. The difference is Germans won't be in denial and taking offense so easily about it. The reason people are getting fatter nowadays is not Americans, it's the capitalist consumerist culture, which promotes greed and quantity, and in bad quality. Some of the ideas and brands to put it in practice have been imported from America though, see McDonalds and other BS.

None of the Americans denied having a fat problem, they simply pointed out the fact that other countries did too, and it wasn't Americas fault.

But yeah, sadly that can be one of the affects of capitalism, but if it isn't greedy business owners it is a greedy someone else in power. Rarely and for short periods of time is there a successful country that doesn't have greedy people in power. Even though they don't "rule" us directly many corporations own the world leaders, seen especially in the West. This is probably the main reason our governments don't represent the majority and their wishes on major issues and try to get us to go along with their agendas.

Zimobog
Friday, October 30th, 2009, 03:54 AM
I think the reason people everywhere are getting fatter is poor quality food and sugar drinks, the reduced amount of physical effort people have to put into their work due to technology, the internet :(, and the dissatisfied lives of many. I think we can all agree that McDonalds is garbage as is other fastfood. However, is it that much worse than kebab, fish and chips, and other types of take-out found in European nations I wonder?

People over-eat for the same reason others abuse drugs.

I am not trying to say Americans aren't fat, only that we are not to blame for all the ills of the world and other people's obesity. I also have my doubts that we are that far ahead of other Western nations (like Germany, UK, and Canada) in our obesity, so I question statistics and post alternate veiws of obesity to show it is a problem elsewhere besides America.

Athalwulf
Friday, October 30th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Could one reason why America has more fat people be that they have a much larger population that European countries? 200,000,000+ more people than Germany for example.

frippardthree
Friday, October 30th, 2009, 06:41 AM
http://blog.splitgames.fr/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/burger-king-ddr.jpg

The Late-Breaking Clinical Trials Session presents innovative research on the latest breakthroughs in clinical science. These sessions provide notable exposure and recognition for studies likely to have a significant impact on clinical practice. Abstracts submitted via the online application process for late-breaking abstracts are expected to contain study design and the major trial results. Data submitted for the Late-Breaking Clinical Trials Session will be treated as strictly confidential by The Obesity Society and its individual reviewers.
Embargo Policies
Clinical trial results are embargoed for the time of an Obesity Society-sponsored news media activity or the date and time of presentation, whichever comes first. Clinical trial sponsors must comply with embargo guidelines established by The Obesity Society. It is essential to recognize that presentations at unofficial satellite meetings or unofficial press conferences before the scheduled session are not allowed. The pre-conference Pharmacotherapy Update is an official Obesity Society event and this embargo policy does not apply to that session, although it is expected that late-breaking trial results will not be reported in detail during the event. The embargo policy will be strictly enforced.
Note exception: Industry announcements required by the Security Exchange Commission are allowed and will not be considered an embargo break; however, no trial results or data may be revealed or implied.
Investigator Meetings
The only exceptions to the above-mentioned embargo policy are closed investigator meetings for participants in the trial. Graphics (slide or print) that contain key trial results should be kept to a minimum and not distributed. Media or other outside parties may not be invited to these events.
Simultaneous Journal Publication of Clinical Trials
Simultaneous publication of late-breaking clinical trials is acceptable and encouraged as long as the embargo policies of The Obesity Society and the involved journals are coordinated. If a clinical trial has been submitted to and accepted for publication, the presenter is responsible for ensuring that the journal editor respects The Obesity Society publication embargo policy.
Publication of a clinical trial either in print or on a journal website prior to presentation at a Scientific Session will necessitate withdrawal of the trial from the program.

http://www.obesity.org/obesity2009/Embargo_Policies_2009.pdf

http://www.obesity.org/obesity2009/media.asp

Jäger
Friday, October 30th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I thought only American Imperialist pig-dogs were fat... I guess not. Maybe America poisoned all the Mexican's water and that offered to sell them Coca Cola really cheap.
America pushes for "freedom of choice" for idiots, because only then they can sell idiotic products, they make food wholly market depended which resulted in marketing manipulations for the sole purpose of selling more food, and getting more money, regardless of the health of your kin, or your animals (e.g. psychological tricks with menu sizes, etc.), because, as it is your doctrine, everyone has individual responsibility, and thus the market cannot be at fault, only the fat person is at fault.
That basic human instincts, and the naivety of your kin are being taken advantage of is nothing to be worried, and with proud breast everyone on the world shall feel the same alienation of its kin, and thus the American democracy export was born, which is nothing else than another term for "opening more markets".

This kind of "cultural" influence is a disease for many countries, that parts of America function more healthy, or even very well, does not negate the bad influence America as a whole is sending out to its "friends" and foes alike, maybe even without the knowledge of the "good people" of America, but who cares?

Could one reason why America has more fat people be that they have a much larger population that European countries? 200,000,000+ more people than Germany for example.
We were talking about percentages.

Nachtengel
Saturday, October 7th, 2017, 08:45 PM
WHY ARE AMERICANS SO F@#KING FAT?

Americans are fucking fat, and yet, when you look at percentages of obesity, America manages to just barely be in the top 10. Why? Why have so many billions of people become obese in only the last 30 years or so? I would like to analyze the “turning point” for when Americans started to become obese, shining some light on the rest of the world as well.

Back To The Past

For all of the talk of how “Everything in the past was worse than things are now,” I can safely say that at least in terms of Body Mass Index—a legitimate measure of obesity for approximately 95% of humanity, no matter what fat women say—things in the past were better. The average American man in the 1960s weighed about 160 pounds, and the average American woman was a slim and trim 120 pounds with a 28 inch waist. And nowadays the average American woman is 160 pounds, and the average man much heavier than that.

What happened? Studies seem to indicate that the sudden spike in obesity only started around 1980. But is there a specific “X factor” that caused it to happen? The mainstream writers always seem to argue that “increased availability and affordability of food, combine with intense marketing, explains excess energy intake and weight gain amongst different populations”. But frankly, that argument always seemed a bit flimsy to me.

I don’t think there’s any more food advertising available now then there was back in the 60s—if anything, you’d imagine advertising to be more harmful in a day and age when cigarettes could be legally advertised on cartoon shows. And that’s clearly not the case.

Debunking A Few Myths

One of the studies I used for this was Shapiro’s study from Brown University, and perhaps the section I liked best is when he discusses how, contra the “unrealistic body standards make women anorexic!” propaganda we hear from feminists, the occasions of that disorder occurring are extremely low, and “We do not find a significant increase in the amount of people that are dangerously underweight”. But then again, you could just take a quick glance around at American women and realize that there’s clearly not that much anorexia going around.

Speaking of throwing shade in the face of fatties, the study’s medical research team, most medical doctors, and certified personal trainers such as myself all agree that the single biggest cause of weight gain is the consumption of more calories than you expend with physical effort.

Ultimately, all of the studies I read for this article refer to the “big two” causes of the obesity epidemic: a nationwide decrease in physical activity and a nationwide increase in caloric consumption. Certainly, these things exist—just take a look at restaurant portions. But again, we have to ask why?

In other words, even if there’s junk food and high fructose corn syrup flying through the sky, why do people choose to eat it instead of good, wholesome food? If I may, I have a few theories as to why the country has decided en masse to eat shitty food and not exercise…

1. Increased food additives, processing, and lack of regulation
Agrobusiness corporations have, in the last 30 years or so, been given free reign to load up their food with as many preservatives, soy products, and high fructose corn syrup as possible. Because, hey, it won’t kill anybody and it saves them a shitload of money!

Soy and preservatives have been linked to many health disorders, and high fructose corn syrup’s insidiousness is due to its ubiquity rather than its inherent unhealthiness. Chances are if you look at a fat person’s diet, it will have a lot of these things.

It’s time once again to break out the potted meat food product. Protip: anything that has to clarify that it is, in fact, food, is not something you want to eat

2. Increased Poverty & Stagnant Wages
I’m honestly surprised how rarely this is brought up. It is often remarked that the USA is one of the few countries in world history where the poor are fat and the wealthy are slim. It’s also a common talking point that American wages have basically stagnated since the 1970s in terms of real purchasing power, while prices have increased. Compare the prices of healthy food to the price of unhealthy food.

While I have argued that it’s not difficult to pinch pennies and get healthy food for yourself even on a barely-above-poverty salary, let’s also bear in mind that most people are pretty goddamn stupid, and thus aren’t aware of this fact. If all you’re looking for is enough food to get you through the day, and all you have is 20 bucks, you can buy a lot more junk food with 20 bucks than you can buying good food.

Along with the destruction of American industry forcing many to live paycheck to paycheck, there’s also…

3. Destruction Of The American Family
As we commonly discuss here on Return of Kings, the American family is in a state of disrepair, which is unfortunate because the children of single parents (especially single mothers) tend to grow up to become dysfunctional adults. Therefore, I’ve always felt that it’s not too much of a stretch to assume that a dysfunctional family will neither feed the children proper food, nor get them involved in some sort of physical activity. After all, if some urbanite woman is still “riding the carousel” into her 30s, is she going to cook for her sprog? Hell no!

4. Decline of American Culture and Community
Related to the last one, numerous studies have shown that increased multiculturalism and diversity have the adverse effect of destroying any sense of community and shared culture amongst any group of people, whether it be a city or an entire nation. And when the streets aren’t safe, and grocery stores are closed down due to rampant criminality (the actual cause of the alleged “food deserts” nice white people complain about sometimes), you’re going to see an increase in obesity and lack of physical activity–and count on that.

Conclusion

So, it seems to me that there isn’t one single factor or turning point that caused America to become a nation of morbidly obese lardasses. Rather, it was many factors happening simultaneously with each other that seemed to cause it.

Fixing it, on the other hand, will also require more than “raising awareness” of healthy food options or promoting “beauty at any size.”http://www.returnofkings.com/130977/why-are-americans-so-fking-fat

Huginn ok Muninn
Sunday, October 8th, 2017, 12:00 AM
America has a control group... the Amish. I don't remember ever seeing a really fat Amish person. I also remember seeing the statistic that Amish men walk an average of 18,000 steps per day, and women an average of 14,000. There is nothing in their religion that prohibits them eating fast food, but they usually do have healthy family meals cooked by mom. And they do live in rural communities of their own people, so inner city problems and dealing with crime is minimized. This is how America was in the 1880s...

https://agnautacouture.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/big-amish-family_thumb.jpg

Panda
Wednesday, October 18th, 2017, 11:14 PM
Yes, we have a big obesity problem here. There are fast food places all over the place and many eat there daily whether young or old. Luckily, I have a fast metabolism and am skinny but many struggle with weight problems here. The schools have decided to do a little to help out though. When I was in high school we had soda machines and many unhealthy foods. Nowadays, I hear that has been removed to keep kids from becoming obese. However, that won't help if parents aren't trying to help and setting healthy eating habits for kids.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Wednesday, May 23rd, 2018, 01:27 PM
I feel skinny whenever I get to the BMI that the armed forces stipulates, but it's the weakness that bothers me. It's hard to build muscle and maintain endurance, unless I eat a certain set of portion sizes. I worry more about getting calories than my gut size. I also need to stay active throughout the day and don't buy energy drinks. My mood is helped by tea.

Lasgo
Wednesday, May 23rd, 2018, 02:22 PM
not forgetting chemicals that are sprayed onto food - non organic

LdyPrussia
Thursday, May 24th, 2018, 12:37 AM
Many Americans don't walk like they used to, and driving-aged person in the family seems to have their own car. Some smaller cities have no safe sidewalks or bike trails to enjoy walking or riding for exercise unlike many countries in Europe. Our cities are newer and tend to be laid out for mainly automobiles with much distance between the towns. If you have money, you can buy into specially designed communities with miles of trails but we rarely link up cities together for various reasons. The weather also can be miserably hot in some areas making it difficult to walk or ride bikes for 4-5 months out of the year. What bothers me is morbid obesity, which can be embarrassing, but many of them are Hispanic and Black with higher numbers than white people endure overall.
As for food, anyone can read the back of a box for sugar content or corn syrup if you care to know the food ingredients. Many people love their luxuries in the US so there is an apathy too of what they're consuming. I witness overly large portion sizes at restaurants and even, calorie loaded drinks. Many restaurants started to print calorie and nutrition information, but I rarely see people read it as if it would really affect their ordering habits. I use it but am average weight. Using food EBT cards also allow people to indulge in extra foods since the tax payer covers most of the grocery bill so it takes away incentives to eat less and even healthier. When you pay for your own food, you tend to be more mindful of what you select to prepare for your family and shy away from costly junk products. We also eat out less due to higher costs. Eating certain foods is a choice, and one can learn to say no to stay in good health.

Aelfgar
Thursday, May 24th, 2018, 12:53 AM
Car culture is a major factor, as LdyPrussia mentions. Sitting down too much as well. I've got into the habit of standing up a lot. And I mostly drink water.