PDA

View Full Version : Runic Era Year?

AsaGurmla
Tuesday, October 27th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Some of you out there may be aware of a reckoning of the year by what is known as "the Runic era" by some of those who follow various branches of Asatru. I forget what the date of this year is by that system. I don't think of it as any different to the roman christian calender. Why even bother?

But I am interested in seeing any ideas concerning a current heathen year date based on a rune calender. One idea I have is to try and base one system on a "klog Almanac" starting with the last year that rites were openly held at Uppsala. That would make a great heathen calender.Every region could have its own form based on an old important heathen date .

Any Ideas?

Grimsteinr
Tuesday, October 27th, 2009, 01:16 PM
The Runic Era started when the Runes began to be used across Northern Europe. That year was 250 B.C.E.(Before Common Era), nominally.
Consequently this is 2259 R.E.(Runic Era).

This is the month of Hunting, or Hunting Moon.
Coming up after this week will be the beginning of Fog Moon.
And then December is reckoned as Wolf Moon.

These are all easy to find if you look around for them.
OBTW, originally the Runic year was a Lunar Year of approximately 13 Moons,
each "Moon" being just a little bit over 28 days long.
But, the Lunar year cases too much confusion with our present Western use of the Julian Calendar, named after a Pope of the R.C.Church, I believe.
So most folks follow the regular Calendar, except for the Runic Year and names of the Months.

I think there are a couple of cultures that still use a Lunar Year, Chinese & Jewish, at least, IIRC.
Have Fun!

chrisjqb
Wednesday, October 28th, 2009, 02:56 AM
But I am interested in seeing any ideas concerning a current heathen year date based on a rune calender.

If you want a runic calender that was actually used and not an New Age thing, then the calender was based on the newer futharc (only 16 runes, 19 were needed for the metonic cycle so 3 extra symbols were needed).

New year is the first full moon after winter solistice.

But I don't know which year it is now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runic_calendar

AsaGurmla
Wednesday, October 28th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Thankyou Both. :-)

I am aware of the moons you speak of, It's much like the Colligny calender calender. I'm good at being in sync with the moon & seasons.There is an Angl-Saechs calender that is much like the one you mention.

I'm trying to avoid the 2259 R.E. thing as I stated. I want to try and use the type of Younger FU TH ARK CYCLE that Chrisjqb has mentioned and also come up with one using the Elder Runes. But the Rune for the actual year based on a really auspicious beginning date is of real import to me. I'll let you know how I go.

Halfr
Tuesday, May 25th, 2010, 09:43 AM
This is so stoked on fail I don't even know what to say.

moritz
Saturday, November 20th, 2010, 04:14 PM
... our present Western use of the Julian Calendar, named after a Pope of the R.C.Church, I believe.

Just for the record, most western countries haven't used the Julian calendar since 1582, when it was replaced by the Gregorian calendar.

ChaosLord
Sunday, November 21st, 2010, 03:25 AM
Using BCE/CE as opposed to BC/AD just changes the abbreviations. Both pairs still give recognition to the fact that time is based around the death of "Christ."