PDA

View Full Version : Making it official in Nova Scotia?

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Saturday, June 5th, 2004, 03:43 AM
Would you like to make Scottish Gaelic or one of the other Scottish inspired tongues official in Nova Scotia?

HowlingOskorei
Tuesday, December 21st, 2004, 12:03 PM
Would you like to make Scottish Gaelic or one of the other Scottish inspired tongues official in Nova Scotia?
Yes, I would like to see it official in Nova Scotia, myself, but I believe that is a long way ahead. French isn't even recognized yet.

Of course, Nova Scotians have been coming a long way in revitalizing the Gaelic language. Gaelic is now offered in schools, and in some areas, it is a requirement to get a high school diploma.

There is also an excellent Gaelic language newspaper called Shunpiking. Because I work at a Scottish historic site, I get it free in the mail, and even though I am only 1/4 Scottish, and identify myself more with the Acadian people, I still look forward to recieving it, and I enjoy reading it. Actually, the Acadian dialect of French has a little bit of Gaelic stuck in there, because a lot of us do have Scottish or Irish blood in us. Actually, Irish and Scottish surnames are commonplace in French-speaking Acadian communities.

Ryan
Friday, September 16th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Yes I most definitely would. I would also like to see us seperate from Canada while we still have some of our culture left. I picture some sort of union between Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island as the best route for the future. Our own independent nation or republic made up of those three territories would best ensure the survival of our culture and make certain that our needs get addressed rather then ignored by the powers who be out west and in Ottawa.

HowlingOskorei
Tuesday, March 14th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Wow... someone else who supports Maritimes separation. Beautiful!

gefjion
Thursday, April 13th, 2006, 05:04 AM
If that ever happened, I'd run barefoot across the Canadian Shield to get back in before the border closed:-)

:thumbup

Ryan
Thursday, April 13th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Hopefully we can make it happen some day. I take it you're amongst the diaspora?

gefjion
Friday, April 14th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Well, we aren't really part of the diaspora per se. My husband is in the military and we were posted out of The Maritimes. While we are happy to have the experience of living in The Prairies, it ain't home. There is a distinct Nova Scotia fetish out here:D I've met countless folks who want to go there but don't because the opportunities are lacking. Had I not met my husband, I would have eventually become part of the diaspora because most of my family has left for Ontario, Quebec, and BC.

We'll most likely return within ten years anyway because he'll be retiring in about three years and his parents are getting to a point in their lives where they'll be needing help on a regular basis.