PDA

View Full Version : Ancestral Airs/ Ancestral Memory

verdasmedley
Wednesday, October 14th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Longing to know your people.......its a ravenous, lonely thing and the hunger that drove my life. It wasn't an easy quest either, fraught with uncountable pathways that seemed to deadend constantly. But I pushed back, and pushed hard, for decades, until it opened up to me.

History is elusive, political borders change seemingly minute by minute and have done so for thousands of years. Whatever your nationality might be today it was certainly not true a hundred years ago or a thousand, and in some instances, last week. Then BAM! DNA studies reveal that our entire species (homo-sapien-sapien) ascends from the same mother. Oops! so much for political borders, countries of origin and nationalities. What's a Lost-Soul-Wanderer to do?

I finally settled on ancestral memory. Of my ancestry, known and unknown, whose songs and traditions did I intrinsically relate to, who were the spirits that came to me in dreams, what grove on our Earth had its deepest vibratory familiarity to my soul? It finally struck me. I wanted to know my tribe, the heart of its shamanic spirit that dictated that we live as soft, harmonic breath within ecology. And after many years I am satisfied that I have found them. There they were waiting for me in the Mesolithic era of what is now referred to as the British Isles. Then I wrote a book, Ancestral Airs; and another, The Compendium for Spirit Handling, in the hands of my publisher. I hope I have enough life left in me to write more as I have volumns of research I haven't touched yet.

Do not be discouraged. Your ancestors are there waiting anxiously to hand over their wisdom to you. And did you know that long ago they put prayers out into the universe for the unborn? Well, here you are and you need only to listen. Their prayers are for you.

Best wishes,
Verda Smedley

Lostsoulwanders
Wednesday, October 14th, 2009, 01:29 PM
It is as you say a hunger and I have found mine to grow ravenous of late. It is in the past that we forge the future because the past trials of mankind is wrought with the trials and tribulations of human accomplishment and error. To gaze upon those who stood before us, who erected monuments that have weathered time and those we don't understand keeps the fire of self discovery alive and it is the loss of that flame that will doom us.

rainman
Wednesday, October 14th, 2009, 04:40 PM
It is as you say we have many different ancestors and kinship with all life on earth. Well I believe in evolution so I'm related to a frog or bird, but that doesn't mean I am a bird. That's why I think race and ancestory are not the same. A race is something alive today it is what I am now and my folk are with me. It does reflect ancestory but also different.

There is a call of the blood though. Certain memories more alive than others. Those ancestors who are most like us are the ones that call out to us the most.

verdasmedley
Wednesday, October 14th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Precisely.

For Rainman: I happily concede that I am something of a bleeding heart and honor my ancestors deeply. Its difficult for me to address race perse' because my children and I carry the blood of four continents and we carry the memories of those ancestors. But I am able to agree that some speak more persistantly than others and I simply follow where they lead me while never failing to honor the blood of others.

For lostsoulwanders: Don't stand outside the circle, you are its heart. It is no longer the past when we acknowledge that we carry forward the wisdom of all those that came before us, even the single cell organisms that led to the evolution of birds and frogs, as Rainman suggested.

verdasmedley
Wednesday, October 14th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I had to think about your letter for awhile. I can't be certain how far you want to roll the thread back. My work has a somewhat narrow focus on the Mesolithic Europe, the British Isles in particular. There is no doubt in my mind that there are individuals in this forum that have a far better education than I do in modern European history. Never the less.

The Mesolithic were hunter-gatherers and deeply shamanic (a term used rather cavalierly today and isn't really my favorite word; I prefer the term spirit handling). What I found endearing about Mesolithic people was their astounding knowledge of the world around them. Although I studied many fields my greatest effort was in ethnobotany. May I suggest a few things to you?
1. Wed mythology to archeology.
2. Don't forget quantum physics while you explore the magic contained in mythology.
3. Get your hands on a copy of The Civilization of the Goddess by Marija Gimibutas. Its not an easy read but has an inexhaustive amount of information on ancient Europe plus fabulous maps, illustrations, etc.
4. Don't forget ethnobotany. Its a wide open field that spans antiquity to the present. I found that in order to understand a people I had to understand their ecology and the plants that those people had available for food, clothing, shelter, medicine and rituals. There isn't an enormous difference between the species of the British Isles and those found on the continent, esp. northern Europe. The continent, however, has a greater diversity. An in depth study reveals an amazing list of species found in the entire north temperate zone; species that evolved before continental drift. I'm a nerd; I just love this stuff!
5. Check out a magazine called Northern Earth www.northernearth.co.uk
There is a tremendous list of keywords at the bottom of their homepage. These words can be used for terrific google searches.
6. Migrations play a serious role in all of human history. Poke around in that field as well. And don't forget ice ages. Some are amazingly recent.
7. And ask specific questions of the people in this forum. I think you will find some very wise people here.

I enjoy writing little bits of things about these various subjects and will post them when I have the chance.

Best regards,
Verda Smedley

PS There is a terrific post under paleoanthropology entitled Migrationism Strikes Back (in this forum).
Also consider googling Mitochondrial Eve. She is the "mother" I was referring to in my previous post, the mother, so to speak of our species. I shouldn't have been so general. I didn't mean to imply the mothers of frogs and birds. Migrationism Strikes Back speaks about mitochondrial DNA and many fantastic things concerning hunter-gatherers and farmers in Mesolithic/Neolithic Europe and European ancestry. Very, very interesting stuff.