PDA

View Full Version : Do You Make Jack-O-Lanterns?

SpearBrave
Monday, October 12th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Do you like to carve pumpkins for Halloween ? Please post pictures of your jack-o-lanterns.

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac267/sidthekid999/Skadipumpkin.jpg

more to follow.....

Hersir
Monday, October 12th, 2009, 04:06 AM
We dont celebrate Halloween. The last years some norwegians celebrate it, but its just a buy fest for the store like other holidays has become. Very few norwegians know what Samhain is about. We call Halloween "all saints day/evening", and its suppoused to be a christian tradition... Your pumpkin looks nice, maybe I should make one if I can find a pumpkin. They are hard to come by here, in fact I dont think I ever saw one.

Nordlander
Monday, October 12th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Why ,heck ,I thought I was the only "little kid " out there! I always enjoyed doing the jack o lantern thing with my little girl and guess what ,She is 17 and we STILL do it. And to comment on Hersirs post; most Americans do not think of Halloween is a christian holiday ,indeed some churchs' like the jehovas witnesses forbid it as pagan.To most of us halloween is sort of a "Harvest Time" celebration where kids "and sometimes adults" get dressed up and have some fun.To me it represents the smell and feel or Autumn in the air ,the changing leaves,the harvest moon ,the fallow fields ,hunting season arriving , a majic time!

SpearBrave
Monday, October 12th, 2009, 10:23 AM
We dont celebrate Halloween. The last years some norwegians celebrate it, but its just a buy fest for the store like other holidays has become. Very few norwegians know what Samhain is about. We call Halloween "all saints day/evening", and its suppoused to be a christian tradition... Your pumpkin looks nice, maybe I should make one if I can find a pumpkin. They are hard to come by here, in fact I dont think I ever saw one.

To me Halloween is a very fun time. I have no proof but it probably has its roots in pagan times. Children dressing scary to ward off evil spirits, people gathering around bonfires and eating and drinking. Carving pumpkins to scare away evil. This might be good research project.

There are some very large pumpkin farms around here, there is one place called Pumpkin Center more of a area than a town though. Pumpkins are very cheap here usually $2 for the medium size and $3 dollars for big ones.

I set them on the front porch so that people can see them. This is good way for people to see that real pumpkins look better that the plastic ones. As I do not like all the fake fall decorations and I think people should spend more time with their families making their own.

Maybe you could get some seeds and grow some In Norway and start a new tradition were people spend time together carving real pumpkins without buying the fake store bought stuff. OK I might be dreaming again :)

SpearBrave
Thursday, October 15th, 2009, 01:44 AM
OK its time for another pumpkin, This one is more traditional.

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac267/sidthekid999/taditionaljack.jpg

Hauke Haien
Thursday, October 15th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Halloween has been celebrated here in recent years as part of the general decay of German culture. Its presence in the United States is due to 19th century Irish immigrants.

SpearBrave
Thursday, October 15th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Halloween has been celebrated here in recent years as part of the general decay of German culture. Its presence in the United States is due to 19th century Irish immigrants.

Is it not similar to Hexennacht only that it held in the Fall instead of the spring.

Anything that brings families together can't be all bad. I don't like that it is used by the retail stores as another way to make money. Thats one of the reasons I still carve jack-o-laterns instead of buying the plastic crap they sell in stores. Besides it is fun.

Reynard
Friday, October 16th, 2009, 09:51 PM
yes, me and the Kids love it!!!

will post picture when done!

WarMaiden
Friday, October 16th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I love Samhain. In Ireland we have huge bonfires and then go house to house and we say "Help the Halloween Party" we don't say trick or treat and it is more common to give out fruit and nuts instead of chocolate and sweets...

I never seen a real pumpkin till i came to the USA in 02.. Tradition says we used Turnips and i cannot imagine having to carve one of them as they are solid all the way through.. lol

Love It...

triedandtru
Saturday, October 24th, 2009, 05:10 PM
My boyfriend and I made one a weekend past, and are planning on making another tonight. We carved protection runes on the sides and a scary face on the front to ward off the spirits riding with Odin. :)

SpearBrave
Sunday, November 1st, 2009, 11:33 AM
OK ,these are the last ones for this year, we had a gathering at the blacksmith shop with food and beer then people went home to take their children out.

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac267/sidthekid999/traditionalpumpkin004.jpg

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac267/sidthekid999/traditionalpumpkin003.jpg

This is what the pumpkins look like after they have been partying all night.

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac267/sidthekid999/halloweenparty.jpg

I took the last one off the web:D

Hersir
Monday, October 11th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Will try this year, if only I can find pumpkins...

Magni
Monday, October 11th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Are pumpkins only found in the Americas or something?

Seleferth
Monday, October 11th, 2010, 01:39 PM
We do it with the kids every year & they love it. As previously said great fun & brings the family together, also my other half does a wicked pumpkin soup with the internals.
We reuse the pumpkins & light them up again for our 5th November (bonfire night) celebrations that we have every year. They light up a path through our garden. We're in rural east anglia so pumpkins are cheap & plentifull here.

Hersir
Tuesday, October 12th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Are pumpkins only found in the Americas or something?

No, but very uncommon here in Norway:)

Grimsteinr
Tuesday, October 12th, 2010, 12:57 AM
We do Winternights, about the middle of October. Our Winter Nights Blot is to Freyja and the Disir, the Ancestral Grandmothers of our Folk.
Part of the Celebration is a Remembrance of the Ancestors........We ask their Spirits to come and join us in our Celebration. And, we light a Jack-o-lantern, to Welcome them. Sometimes it's a couple, of jack-o-lanterns.

Reshki
Tuesday, October 12th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Will try this year, if only I can find pumpkins...

You can really use any type of gourd.

EAhlgren
Saturday, October 16th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I love jack-o-lanterns! Mine are pretty basic, but my brother does really great ones, he's very talented.

Caledonian
Sunday, October 17th, 2010, 08:42 PM
It's been awhile since the last time I did.