PDA

View Full Version : European Heritage Week Condemned As "Racist"

Nachtengel
Wednesday, September 30th, 2009, 05:25 AM
PARRY SOUND - European Heritage Week, which passed unnoticed this week in three small Canadian towns, is not like other festivals.

There was no dancing, no special food, no parade of rosy-cheeked white children in bonnets and britches. It existed only on paper, thanks to a vote of the town councils in Midland and Parry Sound, Ont., and Cranbrook, B. C., on a motion they received in the mail last summer.

Dismissed by some as a dying gasp of propaganda from Canada's marginalized racist right, European Heritage Week succeeds today precisely because nobody knows about it until it is proclaimed, by which point it is already a success.

"Once you've stated it, that's it. It's a fait accompli," said Don Andrews, 66, leader of the defunct white supremacist Nationalist Party of Canada, who drafted the three-line resolution in the east-end Toronto rooming house that, in the 1980s, served as a rallying point for the disaffected racists who would go on to form the neo-Nazi Heritage Front.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=889423

Gardisten
Wednesday, September 30th, 2009, 05:49 PM
You may as well have posted the entire article, since it's no longer there and it was, after all, from the National Post.

The problem is that these neo-Nazis invariably are the ones who have to mouth off about this sort of thing, so whenever moderate Euro-Canadians want to celebrate their heritage, it's easy for this kind of celebration to be criticized.

Sigurd
Wednesday, September 30th, 2009, 08:49 PM
It doesn't matter whether its "moderate people" or "neo-Nazis" asking for a European Heritage Week --- do they complain when Black Panthers ask for an extension of the scope of Black Heritage Month? They certainly don't, and that's the point.

The point is: Black, Red, Yellow, Green, Purple, you name it heritage can be celebrated --- but White Heritage? Nah, that's racist! If they were really so concerned about "equality" then this would also apply to people of European heritage, that they don't is just another - sadly, all to common - display of their agenda to break any sense of pride in our own heritage.

I just shrug these days when I read such news, heart disease runs in the family, it's sadly become commonplace and energies must be focussed to see how we can counter-act such a trend. But sometimes I find myself wondering: As a Male, White Germanic, Straight person --- where's my equal rights?

Nachtengel
Wednesday, September 30th, 2009, 10:44 PM
You may as well have posted the entire article, since it's no longer there and it was, after all, from the National Post.
I would have, but I found the article on another forum, and the link was no longer valid, so I just pasted the content from there. I thought maybe it's a temporary issue but it still doesn't work. :shrug

The problem is that these neo-Nazis invariably are the ones who have to mouth off about this sort of thing, so whenever moderate Euro-Canadians want to celebrate their heritage, it's easy for this kind of celebration to be criticized.
As Sigurd said, it wouldn't matter if it was neonazis or moderates. Anything related to European preservation is considered racist. And where it's not about racism, they invent something.

Gardisten
Wednesday, September 30th, 2009, 11:52 PM
It doesn't matter whether its "moderate people" or "neo-Nazis" asking for a European Heritage Week --- do they complain when Black Panthers ask for an extension of the scope of Black Heritage Month? They certainly don't, and that's the point.
I'll say it again, yes it does matter. Neo-Nazis are a small radical fringe element who do not speak for anyone but themselves. All they do is serve as a convenient label for leftists to use whenever anyone shows an ounce of pride in their European heritage.

As for black supremacism, people will certainly complain, and I think you fail to realize that certain people in Canadian society are just as concerned about it as they are white supremacism.

The point is: Black, Red, Yellow, Green, Purple, you name it heritage can be celebrated --- but White Heritage? Nah, that's racist! If they were really so concerned about "equality" then this would also apply to people of European heritage, that they don't is just another - sadly, all to common - display of their agenda to break any sense of pride in our own heritage.

That's the thing, European heritage can be celebrated in Canada, as long as the "European" aspect of it isn't stressed. And there's no reason that it should be. You don't live in Canada, and so you don't know how the game is played over here. It can be won, but it requires the radical hotheads to stop screwing things up for the rest of us.

I just shrug these days when I read such news, heart disease runs in the family, it's sadly become commonplace and energies must be focussed to see how we can counter-act such a trend. But sometimes I find myself wondering: As a Male, White Germanic, Straight person --- where's my equal rights?

Well, it's been discussed elsewhere; a population that can sustain itself is in a much better position to preserve it's own culture and heritage. Change can only come through education and gaining influence and power; this all starts in the home and at the local level, as far as I'm concerned.