PDA

View Full Version : Do You Consider Canadians American?

Resist
Wednesday, September 30th, 2009, 03:47 AM
I've often seen people refer to us as "Americans". I don't like this term used for us, to be honest, although we are technically North Americans, however, "American" leads one to think of the USA.

sammiexx
Wednesday, September 30th, 2009, 03:59 AM
I am Canadian and I consider myself canadian and everyone I know considers themselfs Canadian also.
But I guess many outside of Canada would consider Canadians to be American because we are technically.

Nachtengel
Wednesday, September 30th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Not really. Just like you said, whenever I think America(ns), I think about the US. I just call you Canadians. :shrug

AngloTeutonic
Wednesday, September 30th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Canadians are almost the same people as Americans, Canada is almost like a province of America. I do not get offended if people think of me as American, but I will correct them if they take it to far (eg. if they say you Americans are this, I will say actually I am Canadian, but if I travelled outside N. America and somebody refered to me as American I would not mind.)

sammiexx
Wednesday, September 30th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Well I like that. :)
Nothing against American at all though lol.
Just I like being called a Canadian. Usually on the internet I say Canadian and a lot of people say American.
:thumbup

Ĉmeric
Wednesday, September 30th, 2009, 03:48 PM
No one in the US thinks of Canadians as American intentionally. I'm sure there are plenty of Americans who mistake Canadian tourists for Americans. They(Euro-Canadians) don't look any different & the Anglophones sound like Upper Midwesterners.

In the English speaking world, America means the US, Americans the inhabitants of the US. And other parts of the world America means the entire Western Hemisphere, which in the US is called "the Americas". I think this leads to part of the confusion with persons who do not speak English as a first language.

From the US point-of-view, besides America, there is Central America, Latin America, North America (which depending on how it is used may include or exclude Mexico) & South America.