PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Entries in Profiles

Nachtengel
Sunday, September 20th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Some people on these forums like to create themselves fantasy profiles. On some forums they pose as Negroes, Mexicans, and other non-European nationalities. Here on Skadi it's not as bad, but I've seen some weird entries like ethnicity: Hyperborean, Viking, Ostrogoth, etc. or location: Helheim, Asgard and such, or people choosing another country flag than their own. I think filling in profiles this way misleads those who don't know the real data of the user, and creates the impression that people on Skadi aren't serious about the cause. If you don't want to divulge some details, why not leave the entries blank?

I'll show you what I mean
One of the newest posting members:

Ethnicity:
English
Ancestry:
Poland

What is one supposed to think?

velvet
Sunday, September 20th, 2009, 01:56 PM
That he's a Polish immigrant living in England? :D

But I have to say that I dont consider these empty profiles good either. I think age, gender, ethnicity and country should be filled correctly. It helps to set statements into context and it's not that one would expose himself so much with that.
Most members fill these fields correctly, and when someone doesnt give these informations it leaves a bit a bad taste, an impression of dishonesty, even when not intended as such.

Other entries like subrace or anchestry should be voluntary, as many people often dont know this (myself included, before I was classified and on my detailed anchestry I'm still researching). Or location, and when people want to write Helheim or Midgard there, well, that's fine with me (as this could give a hint to their real identity, not without danger nowadays). But the basic informations should be correct, imho.

And probably in the rules should be stated that ethnicity is not citizenship (to prevent such cases as above, where it's obviously understood as citizenship).

Nachtengel
Sunday, September 20th, 2009, 03:03 PM
But I have to say that I dont consider these empty profiles good either. I think age, gender, ethnicity and country should be filled correctly. It helps to set statements into context and it's not that one would expose himself so much with that.
Most members fill these fields correctly, and when someone doesnt give these informations it leaves a bit a bad taste, an impression of dishonesty, even when not intended as such.
For your age, you have to enter your date of birth, which can easily identify you. For some people that could be as dangerous as location.

Or location, and when people want to write Helheim or Midgard there, well, that's fine with me (as this could give a hint to their real identity, not without danger nowadays).
If they don't want to be located, they could as well leave that field blank. Fantasy entries draw impressions like these:

Many racist groups focus around a Germanic identity, but I wouldn't confuse that with actual Germans. If you thumb through the biographies of most of this group, you notice that the ones that put real locations are all located in the United States.

Siebenbürgerin
Sunday, September 20th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Hmm, I've seen many profiles with the age entry missing. Privacy could be a reason, but maybe another reason is the 'ageism' of some peoples here. In debates, some peoples frequently use the age of others to discredit (I've seen offensive means to do it, from 'kid' and 'son' to 'old fart' or 'hag' :thumbdown). In this case I can't blame the peoples who hide their ages.

velvet
Sunday, September 20th, 2009, 04:41 PM
For your age, you have to enter your date of birth, which can easily identify you. For some people that could be as dangerous as location.

Yes, but your date of birth is not visible in the public profile, given out is just the age.
Dont know, is it viewable somewhere else?

RoyBatty
Sunday, September 20th, 2009, 05:36 PM
The bottom line is that the more accurate information a person supplies about themselves, the easier they become to identify and locate. It's a simple numbers game. Not everybody sees the logic in advertising about themselves or their whereabouts to anybody / any entity who may take a healthy or unhealthy interest in them and their whereabouts.

Personal Details and Information posted on the Internet has to be considered

- permanent
- insecure

for the most part.

In other words, info on social networking pages, forums etc etc may be recorded for keeps AND it may be accessable by undesireable people and / or organisations.

Does all this sound paranoid? Yes, it is paranoid but limiting information about one's self online saves a lot of potential hassles with nutcases, criminals and snoops later on. Needless to say that The State has more resources to locate and track people but why make it easier for them than is necessary? ;)

Sigurd
Sunday, September 20th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I find it disturbing when people put things into their profile which are absolutely pointless. I only tend to do that myself with fields where I find it does not matter; otherwise any such description will be an attempt at humorous description.

One I tend to be more light-hearted about is relationship status, as it's quite frankly no one's business. Here, I've got the mildly sarcastic "Application via secretary" line, on Thiazi for instance I use "Paraskavedekatriaphobiac" as a reference to one of my exes dumping me on a Friday 13th. Another I see less strict is the occupation field, everyone knows I'm a student, so on Thiazi I'm a "mountain bike bog snorkeller". I mean I've considered putting "Forum Nazi" on here. :shrug

Location, ancestry and such things should IMO instead be descriptive, and should still be descriptive even if delivered in an unconventional way. I recall I once for a short while had "Land of Skirtclads" (Scotland) and for X years I then used "Granite City" (Aberdeen). For ancestry I have "Bavarii, Saxones, Alemanni, Suebi", equally descriptive.

But yes, I personally do find it a little irritating if someone puts a different state than their own. I recall a situation when someone had the flag of a European country, but the flag of an American state, whilst he was actually a European - that's just confusing. If people don't want to put an ancestry or something like that, no one forces them to, they can leave that field blank, it's not a required field. Such clearly "identifying" matters should at least be entered in a descriptive way if one feels a little poetic.

Nachtengel
Sunday, September 20th, 2009, 10:14 PM
The bottom line is that the more accurate information a person supplies about themselves, the easier they become to identify and locate. It's a simple numbers game. Not everybody sees the logic in advertising about themselves or their whereabouts to anybody / any entity who may take a healthy or unhealthy interest in them and their whereabouts.

Personal Details and Information posted on the Internet has to be considered

- permanent
- insecure

for the most part.

In other words, info on social networking pages, forums etc etc may be recorded for keeps AND it may be accessable by undesireable people and / or organisations.

Does all this sound paranoid? Yes, it is paranoid but limiting information about one's self online saves a lot of potential hassles with nutcases, criminals and snoops later on. Needless to say that The State has more resources to locate and track people but why make it easier for them than is necessary? ;)
You have a point, and I agree, but what sense does it make to place fake entries there? Just keep it brief. Some people only fill in their ethnicity, which is the only required information.

RoyBatty
Sunday, September 20th, 2009, 11:38 PM
You have a point, and I agree, but what sense does it make to place fake entries there? Just keep it brief. Some people only fill in their ethnicity, which is the only required information.

You're right, in Skadi's case things can be kept short and sweet. In other cases, use discretion.