PDA

View Full Version : To All Atheists: Are You Militant, or Part of Any Atheist Organization?

Nachtengel
Sunday, September 13th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Some people here have been posting about 'militant atheism', so this question becomes inevitable in my opinion:

Atheist Skadi members, are any of you part of any Atheist organization? Are you an 'Atheist activist', concerned with militant-ism? Do you want to spread your belief to others, or promote Atheism in some public way?

Do you know any specifically Atheist organizations in your area, and what's your opinion of them?

Saerain
Tuesday, November 24th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I'm not so concerned with spreading atheism. It spreads just fine without conscious effort as the reality of the universe asserts itself through our progress in science. All I concern myself with is correcting people who are misinformed (or ignorant) of basic scientific facts. I just want people to have the correct data. Whatever conclusions the correct data leads them to aren't my business, although I take an interest in knowing them.

I don't consider myself a member of any atheistic organization. I participate on some fora, and that is about it.

I do donate to scientific organizations that I imagine religious individuals would tend to be upset by, namely in the fields of nanorobotics, genetic engineering and artificial intelligence. I suppose you could call them predominantly atheistic, but I assume that is not what you had in mind.

I don't know of any atheist-specific organizations in my area.

VergesEngst
Tuesday, November 24th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I do not consider myself 'militant' about atheism, and I have no strong opinion on that subject.

But... I really have to thank you for posting this thread. As a result, I ended up doing a google image search on "militant atheism" and this has been the best laugh I've gotten all day.

For example:

http://z.about.com/d/atheism/1/7/U/2/3/The-Atheist-e.jpg

Hamar Fox
Wednesday, November 25th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Militant? No. I just continue the English tradition of indifference toward religion. My ancestors were apathetic Protestants; I go a little further and deny the existence God, but I'd hardly consider that a radical stance for an Englishman.

I actually consider devout religiosity as something foreign. It only exists in America through non-British influence. So I'd say I look down on it, but I really have no need to be militant, even if it were in my nature. No one around me is religious or ever invokes religious arguments in debates, so I really lack the incentive to force my atheistic beliefs IRL.

Online it can be annoying when dealing with non-Brits, because it's not something we're used to seeing in rational discussions. Sometimes I'll see Americans talking about creationism and what not and it kind of blows my mind, so I usually argue quite strongly against that, more in defence of reason and logic than in defence of atheism.

Kogen
Wednesday, November 25th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Why would there be militants for a term that defines itself as a lack of religious beliefs?

It is like there being apolitical politicians.

Katiskatos
Monday, December 7th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I am part of a militant organization which is "militant" since it seeks the complete separation of Church & State. (Which in most European countries has never really been accomplished.)

Also; I am militant against organized political religion.

runder
Monday, December 14th, 2009, 01:05 AM
I actually consider devout religiosity as something foreign. It only exists in America through non-British influence.

This doesn't make any sense. US religiousity stems from Britain, most significantly from the Puritans. Remember the Commonwealth and Oliver Cromwell? Modern US religiosity is the philosophical/spiritual descendent of the Puritans.

Micaela
Thursday, December 30th, 2010, 03:17 AM
I'm don't consider myself militant at all. I'm willing to share my beliefs if I'm asked, but I don't expect anyone else to "convert", and that's not my intention. Religion doesn't cause war, and neither does atheism. The biggest thing is learning to accept the fact that other people have different beliefs.

FormalRS
Tuesday, June 26th, 2012, 10:24 PM
I do not attempt to spread Atheism. I sure do let people know that I don't believe in any "higher power" however, I don't try and force them into believing the same thing as I see far to many extremely religious people preaching out on the street and I find it's just a nightmare.
Also I don't know of any Atheist organisations and have never bothered to look for any.

Koenigstiger
Monday, August 22nd, 2016, 10:08 PM
I think that spreading Atheism is in itself a paradox. There are some people (like Richard Dawkins for example) that are approaching Atheism on an intellectual level and try to raise conscience about how atheists are sometimes excluded from society or politics because they do not believe in the "official" religion of the state.

The best mistake my parents ever made was not to baptize me. I'm somebody that was born free of this religious mandate that is inculcated to children when the are born. The way I am able to see things is that most people are religious by default and not by decision. Which in a way goes against someones liberty and free will.

I don't care about religion but I also don't pretend to enforce that others lose theirs. I just think that newborns shouldn't be raised in any religion and let them grow up in a secular way and they should decide for themselves if and which religion they want to join when they are mature enough.
I have the feeling that if it was like this already only a small percent of the population would be religious at all.

Shadow
Tuesday, August 23rd, 2016, 12:47 AM
Some people here have been posting about 'militant atheism', so this question becomes inevitable in my opinion:

Atheist Skadi members, are any of you part of any Atheist organization? Are you an 'Atheist activist', concerned with militant-ism? Do you want to spread your belief to others, or promote Atheism in some public way?

Do you know any specifically Atheist organizations in your area, and what's your opinion of them?

Imagine two old men playing chess on a park bench. They are arguing whether the earth is hollow or if it is flat. Each is passionate in their view. As you walk by, one grabs you by the sleeve and explains the dispute to you and then insists you not leave until you decide which one is right.

To me, this above is religion vs. atheism. You can't have one without the other and neither are really worth the breath.

North Vinlander
Sunday, October 16th, 2016, 08:24 PM
The question I'd need to ask before joining any such group is whether or not it furthers the interests of Germanic people. With our countries being in the state they're in, debating atheism is hardly a worthwhile pursuit.

chrisjqb
Sunday, October 16th, 2016, 10:56 PM
I am member of De Vrije Gedachte (http://devrijegedachte.nl/english/)