PDA

View Full Version : Gender and Second Pregnancies

Bärin
Friday, September 11th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Is it a popular myth that on the second pregnancy you might get a different gender from the first, or there's some truth to it? Is there something you can do to influence the gender, like eat certain foods?

Thanks in advance. :)

Nachtengel
Friday, September 11th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I know women who had a boy, and then on their 2nd pregnancy a girl, or viceversa, but as far as I know, they didn't do anything special to influence it.

Anyway, some information...

Can the types of foods and nutritional ingredients determine the sex of your baby?

Your question:
Does what I eat when I'm pregnant make it more likely to have a baby girl or baby boy?

Dr Moore answers:
The sex of the baby is determined at the moment of conception -- when the sperm and the egg join. Nothing during pregnancy will change that. However, pre-conception gender selection, or the influencing of the sex of the baby before it is conceived (so as to make it more likely to have the baby of your choice) is getting a lot of press lately.

After decades of research, there is still much controversy over the environmental factors which determine the baby's sex.

As related to what one eats, the consensus today is if there is any dietary influence, it is limited. Previous studies have shown a mother-to-be's diet high in potassium and sodium including vegetables, bananas, fish and meat may favor the conception of a baby boy.

A diet high in calcium and magnesium including milk, beans, cereals, cheese and nuts may favor a baby girl. Because of the minimal influence, if any, on the outcome of the sex of the baby, the best advice is to eat a healthy diet during the time you are trying to get pregnant and then all through pregnancy.

http://pregnancyandbaby.sheknows.com/pregnancy/Detailed/Can-your-pregnancy-diet-influence-babys-gender-3545.htm

Apparently sperm concentration can influence it too:

There are no guaranteed methods for influencing the sex of your baby, but there are certain factors to keep in mind...

I want a boy!
Before even having sex, your partner can increase his sperm count by wearing loose-fitting trousers and sponging his scrotum with cool water, which is good for making boy babies. When it comes to doing the deed, you and your partner should do it doggy style, and you should try and climax first. The best time to have sex is just after ovulation.

I want a girl!
Have sex face-to-face, with shallow penetration. Don’t have sex if you have any sign of slippery vaginal mucous. You should try not to climax – this will make sure your vagina is acidic, which is right for making girl babies. When it comes to timing, make sure that you have sex every other night until ovulation is due, but abstain 24 hours before ovulation. Having lots of sex is good for producing girls, too.

Should I try douching?
Douching your vagina (squirting liquid into it) is believed to help improve its condition, making it either more alkaline (better for boys), or more acidic (perfect for girls). Buy a douche bag from your chemist, but be careful when you’re using it.

* Boy try 15ml (1tbsp) bicarbonate of soda to 600ml (1pt) lukewarm water

* Girl try 15ml (1tbsp) white wine vinegar to 600ml (1pt) lukewarm water

http://www.askamum.co.uk/Trying-to-conceive/Search-Results/Boy-or-girl/How-to-influence-the-sex-of-your-baby/

Science is still looking into figuring out this one.