PDA

View Full Version : Eupen-Malmedy, Belgium

Wurfaxt
Thursday, September 3rd, 2009, 09:54 PM
The Eupen-Malmedy region of Belgium belonged to Germany prior to the World Wars.Does anybody know if there are any type of associations that propagate re-unification with Germany in case Belgium splits apart? Thanks.

Chlodovech
Thursday, September 3rd, 2009, 11:16 PM
No, it's a total taboo in Eupen-Malmedy. Ever since '45 the Germans stay away from association with the Heim ins Reich movement.

Eupen-Malmedy will participate in any reform of the state (Eupen-Malmedy has its own parliament), but they're waiting for the Flemings to force a breakthrough, since they themselves are not that numerous and powerful enough within Belgium, and they're still suffering psychologically from a harsh occupation.

Walloon politicians made it clear in the past that they would object to the Germans gaining more sovereignty; they're not thinking about handing these stolen territories back to Germany.

Wurfaxt
Friday, September 4th, 2009, 12:39 AM
but they're waiting for the Flemings to force a breakthrough
Has there been any polling conducted in that area to gauge wether or not the German-speaking population would support re-unification?
Also,do the Flemish nationalists want an independent country or have the Netherlands absorbe them?
Thanks.

Chlodovech
Friday, September 4th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Has there been any polling conducted in that area to gauge wether or not the German-speaking population would support re-unification?

The visibility of the German minority is almost next to nothing in this country, only their political leader is somewhat known. As far as I know such a poll has never been conducted. We're talking about a hyper-political correct minority that tried to forget the past in order to become "Belgian", out of self-preservation, I suppose.

Also,do the Flemish nationalists want an independent country or have the Netherlands absorbe them?
Thanks.[/FONT]

Have a look at this (http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=94501) thread and this (http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=93481) one too.

It's more likely that Flanders will opt for independence, in the future we might form a union with the Netherlands though; there's more popular support for this idea than was assumed in the past.

Wurfaxt
Friday, September 4th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Thank you for the links.They helped me understand further the Belgium situation.

Given that you're a native,what do you want for the Flemish people?

Chlodovech
Friday, September 4th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Given that you're a native,what do you want for the Flemish people?

Well, we're in Die Deutschen Lšnder section, we shouldn't discuss these thing here, there are enough existing threads focussing on this subject already. I'm first and foremost against the Belgian state an sich: both Flemish independence and the proposition of a reunification with the Dutch are excellent visions. I don't prefer the former over the latter.