PDA

View Full Version : Y-chromosome STR haplotype in Szekely population

Euclides
Wednesday, June 2nd, 2004, 10:10 PM
'' The Szekelers were invited to move to the South East region of Transylvania in C11, to protect the frontiers of the Hungarian Empire, in return for autonomy from the feudal system. The Szekelers consider they are descendants of the Huns, but it is more likely that they are a group of Magyars from the Bihor region. Their area of Transylvania, known as Szekelyfold, remains over 95% Szekely ''

Forensic Sci Int. 2004 Jan 28;139(2-3):155-8. Related Articles, Links

Y-chromosome STR haplotype in Szekely population.

Beer Z, Csete K, Varga T.

Department of Forensic Medicine, University of Szeged, Kossuth L. sgt. 40, Szeged 6740, Hungary. beer@anat-fm.szote.u-szeged.hu

Eight Y-chromosome STR markers (DYS19, DYS389/I, DYS389/II, DYS390, DYS391, DYS392, DYS393, DYS385) were examined in an isolated Szekely (known as old Hungarian) population living in Corund, Romania. Ninety different haplotypes were obtained from 99 unrelated Szekely males.

Marius
Wednesday, June 2nd, 2004, 10:38 PM
Even if, not being an expert, I cannot completely interpret the results of the research, but interesting idea in doing this study in Corund, which is a quite remote place in Harghita county, Romania.

Can you draw some clear conclusion over this paper?

Agrippa
Wednesday, June 2nd, 2004, 10:42 PM
Even if, not being an expert, I cannot completely interpret the results of the research, but interesting idea in doing this study in Corund, which is a quite remote place in Harghita county, Romania.

Can you draw some clear conclusion over this paper?

I think this study is still on work and has no clear conclusions other than there are probably certain affinities to Polish-Baltic-Finnic populations in Eastern Europe.

Thats at least what I read out of this paper in work...