PDA

View Full Version : Professor Richard Dawkins Wants to Convert Islamic World to Evolution

Renwein
Monday, August 24th, 2009, 08:30 PM
The author of The God Delusion and The Selfish Gene, whose new book, The Greatest Show on Earth, is serialised in The Times next week, has topped bestseller lists all over the world but never in a predominantly Muslim country.

None of Professor Dawkins’ books, on evolution as well as religion, has ever been translated into Arabic, and his work has been heavily censored in Turkey.
“I would like to see my books translated into Arabic. They haven’t been. They are all translated into Hebrew. Persian, I’m not sure. My books are translated into Turkish and they regularly get censored and suppressed.

“The experience of my Turkish publisher of The God Delusion was that he was threatened with arrest for blasphemy. He may even have been arrested, and my website has been banned in Turkey. I feel amused really. There’s something to be said for being suppressed, it makes people want to read you.”

article (http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article6805889.ece)

At least Dawkins puts his money where his mouth is, unlike 'trendy white liberal' evolutionists who like to mock and stick the boot in christianity but turn quiet if you criticize islam or another religion (I'm sure many here have experienced that ;)), never mind take on such a task. That's because he's confident and has an adequate knowlege of what he belives, as opposed to just being tuned in to the popular ideas of the time without any deeper understanding...

anyway, does anyone think he's likely to get anywhere? no chance, I think. It'd be equvilent to overthrowing a whole, virile civilisation (unlike the weakened/passive/meek christianity in Europe, which isn't going to issue any jihads, fatwas or suicide bombers to its critics....).

Old Winter
Monday, August 24th, 2009, 09:02 PM
“The experience of my Turkish publisher of The God Delusion was that he was threatened with arrest for blasphemy. He may even have been arrested, and my website has been banned in Turkey. I feel amused really. There’s something to be said for being suppressed, it makes people want to read you.”

So far for Turkey being a free secular islamic land.

velvet
Monday, August 24th, 2009, 09:09 PM
It took more than hundred years of doubt to remove christianity from large scales of our population, for us, in this stadium of christian decline, it is probably the end point of development.

Realistically seen, if he can plant doubt into, lets say, 100 people, in a muslim country, this would be a great success.

Truth is, he cant travel there, it would be outright suicide. Remember Salman Rushdi (sp?), he still cant go home, and cant go to many other countries, he would be killed.

Wodens Day
Monday, August 24th, 2009, 09:34 PM
"I'm not jewish but.." :thumbdown

Auteire
Friday, August 28th, 2009, 08:57 PM
re: the original post...Sam Harris is also happy enough to rip Islam apart. His book The End Of Faith is a superb read, I highly recommend it.

Pilgrim
Friday, August 28th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I didn't find Harris' arguements too convincing. Its good to see that at least they have a problem with all religions and not just Christianity, like so many do.

Auteire
Friday, August 28th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I didn't find Harris' arguements too convincing. Its good to see that at least they have a problem with all religions and not just Christianity, like so many do.

Well, if that didn't convince you then you'll be religious forever. Those who want to believe will believe no matter what evidence to the contrary is presented to them.

Ceasar
Saturday, August 29th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Translating his books into arabic will probably not change very much, at least not for him to see in his lifetime.

As for him daring to criticise other religions than christianity, he's also one of few (I guess) who criticises hinduism and buddhism.