PDA

View Full Version : Coyotes, 'the Ultimate' Dog

jacktheknife
Friday, August 14th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Gentlemen,

Coyotes,
I've killed a hundred of them.
Took three to the fur buyer in one week 25 years ago,
three nice ones case skinned, they were beautiful.
Coyotes are the ultimate prey for a hunter or a trapper
and a man can learn a lot from them.

But I realized years ago, that Coyotes 'are'...
really just Dogs. The ultimate dog.
And I loved my hounds, {all gone now}
more than anyone here could ever imagine.
{They were dogs too}

But "A Coyote is a dog":
is not only true, it is a profound, beautiful and spiritual truth.
A coyote is 'the ultimate dog'.
Nobody feeds him,
nobody takes him to the vet,
he has to deal with rabies, parvo, heartworms,
wounds and such if he lives 2-3 years he is lucky!

My old fur buyer said to me once:
"He wouldn't have it any other way."
"The Coyote doesn't want any help"

Add to that situation every human is out after old Yote.
Hunting them down like well... dogs.
Sorry...

But I respect their pride.
I respect their self reliance, I do.
I makes me feel good to hear them howling at night,
and I don't like to kill them any more.
Like the old Mexican Coredo {ballad} goes...
"El Coyote is just out looking for something for his family to eat."

Metal spinning targets are fun,
as are just throwing beer bottles in the creek
and shooting them as they drift past,
especially during a flood when they move really fast!
Cut the Yotes some slack,
unless you skin them or boil their skulls,
use glands, leaf fat, urine and dung for lure or something.
And yeah... $25. sounds real good...
But just to shoot a dog and throw him in the ditch
makes my heart sick and sad.

A man can learn a lot from 'old Coyote'.

Thank you

J. Winters von Knife
http://jacksknifeshop.tripod.com/

Kurt Steiner
Sunday, February 7th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Mass Killing of Coyotes is tantamount to slaughtering the Buffalo.

As a dog lover, I would only kill dogs or coyotes as a desperate measure to feed my family protein.
Why can't Coyotes be domesticated? I had rather see them and wolves in dog shows, rather than the standard poof selections.

My dog is a tracker, understands simple English, requests chores to do, guards our home with her early warning system, nutures the sick, and stands by me in fights. She is a member of the family.

Valbiorn
Wednesday, February 10th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Coyote is most often seen with his head back, muzzle facing upward, howling at the moon. The secret to his crazy wisdom can be understood by listening closely to his cry. In it one can hear a bittersweet mixture of all experience. In Coyote's howl we hear both longing and laughter, mocking and moaning.

~ Crazy Wisdom ~ Wes "Scoop" Nisker

arcticdoctor
Sunday, February 21st, 2010, 12:42 PM
I have never seen or heard of a domesticated coyote.
Back on the ranch as a kid one of the cowboys dug out a den of coyote pups and gave them to us for "pets". But everytime we would try to play with one of them, it would bite the heck out of us and escape. In spite of our youthful
determination, every one of the pups voted with his or her teeth and feet and escaped.
In Alaska there are plenty of "tame" wolves. They are quite popular. I have a picture somewhere of my daughter holding a dog biscuit in her teeth and letting a wolf pluck it out. Quite a nerve-wracking trick for a father to watch, but the Wolfman in Palmer assured me it was "perfectly safe".
On the other hand I still bear the emotional ( luckily not the physical) scars
of the coyote's disdain for civilization. Nor have I forgotten the thrill of a night spent on the prairie huddled under a saddle blanket listening to the yipping of coyotes on the hunt.

Zimobog
Friday, February 26th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Coyotes are classified as vermin here in my part of Alaska (unit 14). I am trying to learn to snare them but I haven't had any takers yet :).

I saw a coyote running down the road about four miles towards Sutton from where you saw the "tame" wolf, Arctic Doc.

“Only a fool trust in the tameness of a wolf, a horses health, or a whores oath”-King Lear

Ocko
Friday, February 26th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Coytes here in northern California are abundant.

Almost every night I here them at a closeby pond.

People here in the village sometimes have halfbreeds between coyotes and various dog races. They all tend to be more aggressive than wolf/dog bastards.

A friend of mine had a bullterrier which always took care of the coyotes. But as she was getting old and no more teeths she once was lured away by a coyote and then attacked by a small pack and killed.

Also once in a vineyard I saw a coyote devouring a rabbit and as I closed in it didn't run away but defended its kill. My german shepherd which was diddledanding somewhere behind me got then wind of it, hassled shortly with the coyote and then the c. run. He was as fast as my german shepherd though much smaller.

I often see coyotes in pairs. Someone told me they form couples and stay together. Packs are usually parents and small grown coyotes.

I also once saw a little hole with coyote pups in it, which were curious about me and every other moment looked out of their hole. I sang and they got out to find out what that curious sound is coming from.

A few month ago, there was deer as a roadkill not far from my house. I picked it up and brought it to the small pond. The coyotes came during daytime to eat it. My neighbor shot them.

arcticdoctor
Saturday, February 27th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Zimobog: Coyotes are very smart and wiley. Even though western farmers and especially ranchers hated them and tried to hunt them to extinction, they were never successful. In fact, while most animal species declined in numbers and range as the European settlers spread across North America, the coyotes' numbers and range actually expanded. Coyotes seem to actually thrive with the "introduction" of humans.
In defense of the farmers and ranchers, especially sheep herders, the coyotes can take a terrible toll on newborn calves and lambs.

Ocko: I am amazed that dogs and coyotes have crossed. But it is a good reminder for me that anything is possible and keeps me from becoming
too DOGmatic.
In Alaska the wolves like to call dogs out to "play" and then eat them.

A funny story on me: I was driving up the AlCan from Skagway to Fairbanks
with my family when I saw a "wolf" standing by the road watching the cars.
Totally amazed, I stopped to watch, and the "wolf" came up to the car and started to beg. I naturally assumed it was a "tame" wolf that someone had
abandoned. We fed it and it seemed perfectly tame. Since wolf hybrids are valuable I got the bright idea of taking it with us and keeping it as a pet.
Luckily I came to my senses and realized that letting a strange animal in the car with my granddaughter was probably a really bad idea.
As I drove on and had time to think I realized that, Duh, that wasn't a wolf , tame or otherwise. It was the biggest dang coyote I had ever seen.