PDA

View Full Version : Flower of Scotland is ‘Embarrassing’

Nachtengel
Saturday, August 1st, 2009, 07:57 PM
ONE OF the greatest players Scottish rugby has ever produced has said the stadium song Flower of Scotland has become an embarrassing anti-English rant and should be ditched as the nation's sporting anthem.

Finlay Calder, captain of the British Lions in Australia in 1989 and one of the heroes of the Scotland Grand Slam side the following year, made the contentious claim in a wide-ranging interview with the Sunday Herald, claiming that it is time for Scotland to "grow up" and adopt a more mature approach to its rugby rivalry with England.

Calder, who is standing as a candidate in next month's election to become president of the Scottish Rugby Union, compared the respect shown by Ireland's rugby supporters two years ago when England first played at Croke Park - scene of an infamous massacre by British troops in 1920 during the bloody War of Independence - to the jeering the English side routinely receive at Murrayfield.
advertisement

"It's embarrassing, the lack of respect," he said. "The anti-English stuff has got to stop. I think it's appalling the way we host our English competitors. Before we can go forward we've got to start to grow up a bit."

On the matter of Flower of Scotland, Calder was adamant that the song's time was up.

"I'm not happy with it," said the man who won 34 caps with Scotland before retiring in 1991. "I'd get rid of it tomorrow.

"It's time to get back to what people recognise as being Scottish - being fair and friendly."

Written by the late Roy Williamson of the Corries in 1967, Flower of Scotland grew popular in rugby circles, gaining official status as the national side's anthem in 1989. It was subsequently adopted by the Scottish Football Association as well.

Calder is not the first to court controversy by criticising the song. Two years ago, SFA president George Peat denounced it as "a dirge" and suggested that it should be replaced by something more stirring.

Ironically, perhaps the most famous rendition of the song was at Murrayfield in 1990, when Scotland beat England 13-7 to win the Grand Slam, a match in which Calder played a prominent part.

http://www.sundayherald.com/news/heraldnews/display.var.2511511.0.flower_of_scotland _is_embarrassing.php

Freigeistige
Saturday, August 1st, 2009, 11:35 PM
I would say that this man's statements are embarrassing. This is the last bit of resistance that the Scottish widely display, and they should still be kicking and fighting. To deny them even this basic song of protest after years of forced cultural degradation is an embarrassing amount of lamb-like compliance. I say keep the song at least.

Astrid Runa
Friday, September 11th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I say that man is an idiot.
Embarrasing my Aunt Petunia....

lamhdeargabu
Saturday, September 26th, 2009, 11:06 PM
It is an embarrassing dirge especially when Rangers fans are castigated for singing songs like the "Billy Boys"by the same people that are happy to promote this dirge as our national anthem

Willow
Sunday, September 27th, 2009, 12:05 AM
"I'm not happy with it," said the man who won 34 caps with Scotland before retiring in 1991. "I'd get rid of it tomorrow.

Well, thankfully, it's not up to you. Stick to doing what you do - playing rugby - and shut up!

Can you believe it!? The song has been around all this time, and then some rugby player comes along and decides it's no good. And yes, what about all those neanderthal-like sectarian songs? I think it'd be a good idea to get rid of those instead...

Way of Deception
Tuesday, January 19th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Bill McLaren died today, aged 86.

Just wanted to say for me he typifies a Scot and inspired me as a child. :thumbup

Dollfie
Tuesday, November 16th, 2010, 01:22 PM
National/tribal rivalry is part and parcel of sports, it's just another facet of the banter and excitement when two teams meet. There's nothing really offensive to get worked up over. My sister and I (English girls) think the song is beautiful and melodic. England and Scotland have a somewhat bloody history between them, and banning one song won't change it. It's celebrating the virtues of Robert the Bruce against an arrogant tyrant King who was more French than English anyway. There's nothing wrong with it. We can demonstrate friendship between our nations in many other ways. If the song is part of Scottish culture, keep it is what I say.

Erlkönig
Tuesday, November 16th, 2010, 04:31 PM
All the while the scream with the protruding tongue at the end of the Haka performed by the Islander teams is representative of their intent to literally eat the flesh of their defeated enemies.

Alba
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010, 12:18 AM
I disagree with his statement that it is "embarassing" but I do think we need a new national anthem because 'The Flower of Scotland' is quite a depressing tune. Anytime I watch a Football or Rugby game during our national anthem the players look like they want to fall asleep or run back down the tunnel crying. No wonder we always get beat! :D

Astrid Runa
Saturday, November 27th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I disagree with his statement that it is "embarassing" but I do think we need a new national anthem because 'The Flower of Scotland' is quite a depressing tune. Anytime I watch a Football or Rugby game during our national anthem the players look like they want to fall asleep or run back down the tunnel crying. No wonder we always get beat! :D

Flower Of Scotland was written about us defeating the English.
We've got every right to sing it, and while it may be depressing, it's a song about a great victory against the English.
What do you suggest in replacement? "Scotland The Brave"? It kinda doesn't have any lyrics to go with it.

Alba
Tuesday, November 30th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Flower Of Scotland was written about us defeating the English.
We've got every right to sing it, and while it may be depressing, it's a song about a great victory against the English.
What do you suggest in replacement? "Scotland The Brave"? It kinda doesn't have any lyrics to go with it.

Yeah, we do have every right to sing it. I'm just saying that I find the music quite depressing, not the lyrical content. I do prefer "Scotland The Brave" but I'm not quite sure what I'd replace it with.

Sigurd
Tuesday, November 30th, 2010, 11:25 AM
I do agree that it's a bit of a young song to be considered a National Anthem of sorts; then again, the Lied der Deutschen wasn't much older when it was adopted as an anthem, and didn't even use its own melody (but was at the same time as Gott beschütze unseren Kaiser the anthem of another German-controlled state complex, namely Austria[-Hungary]). :shrug

I actually much like the song, it gives me back some of the good memories, and I do find it quite a powerful song. So sure being Scottish is about being fair and friendly, but being Scottish also has another face to it, which is encompassed in that song: that of never giving up, the voice of freedom, the glory in fighting for what you believe is right, and a certain stubborn temper. :)

So it may be embarrassing to some because it reminds them of kilt-clad, claymore-wielding idiots screaming battle chants after the third flask of whisky. So what? The state Scotland is in, it doesn't need fair and friendly folk, it could well use a couple of more of kilt-clad, claymore-wielding idiots willing to fight for its sake. :thumbup

ArcticWarrior
Monday, December 6th, 2010, 11:02 PM
The Flower of Scotland is a beautiful tune and definitely one of my favourite traditional bagpipe songs. I do however prefer Scotland the Brave, but the two should have equal status.
This man is an embarrassment to Scottish culture.