PDA

View Full Version : Bus Firm Accused of Thinly-Veiled Racism

Nachtengel
Friday, July 31st, 2009, 06:35 PM
A WOMAN wearing a Muslim headscarf was told by a bus driver to take off her "mask" because it was against the law to wear it on board.

Australian-born mother of two Khadijah Ouararhni-Grech was wearing the pink floral headscarf known as a niqab when she tried to board the HillsBus vehicle at Merrylands Rd, Greystanes.

"As I was stepping on to the bus, the driver said: 'You can't get on the bus wearing your mask'," Ms Ouararhni-Grech told The Daily Telegraph yesterday.

After politely telling him that the niqab was not a mask, he insisted, saying: "Sorry, it is the law."

She said a number of passengers witnessed the incident.

"I told him it wasn't the law and he said 'You have to show me your face'," she said.

"There were others present, there was a lady with a baby who was also disgusted about the discrimination that was brought upon me.

Continued:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/bus-firm-accused-of-thinly-veiled-racism/story-e6freuy9-1225754167210

Sigurd
Friday, July 31st, 2009, 07:09 PM
Such a small incident being blown up into these proportions, just so they can push their "anti-racist" agenda --- well too common for me to actually still get offended by it. At best, it shows up on a regular basis what we're fighting for.

Other than that - *yawn*. :shrug

Old Winter
Friday, July 31st, 2009, 07:14 PM
I can not even speak out her/its name.

"Sorry, it is the law."

Correct.

Freigeistige
Friday, July 31st, 2009, 07:26 PM
I'm torn on this one. I mean, I can imagine how the woman must have felt. It's like if a bus driver told you to take off your shirt or you can't ride the bus. To her, it's an inappropriate request. However, it is important to the safety of the rest of the passengers that she follows this law, lest she hurts someone and must be identified. Also, if they let Muslims cover their face and nobody else, that's discrimination. I think that the only conclusion that can be drawn is that this is another reason why we cannot mix cultures this way. This is a cultural stand-off in which nobody really wins. If they had both been in their own countries, this problem simply wouldn't have happened.

Wodens Day
Friday, July 31st, 2009, 08:10 PM
Bus Firm Accused of Thinly-Veiled Racism

Yes it should have been loud, proud, in your face racism.