PDA

View Full Version : `Honour Killings' of Girls and Women on the Rise in Canada: Expert

Gardisten
Saturday, July 25th, 2009, 02:23 AM
As many as 5,000 women and girls lose their lives - most at the hands of family members - in "honour killings" around the world each year, according to the United Nations.

Up to a dozen have died for the same reason in Canada in the last decade, and it's happening more often, says Amin Muhammad, a psychiatrist who studies honour killings at Memorial University in Newfoundland.

``There are a number of organizations which don't accept the idea of honour killing; they say it's a Western-propagated myth by the media, but it's not true,'' he says. ``Honour killing is there, and we should acknowledge it, and Canada should take it seriously.''
canada.com (http://www.canada.com/Honour+killings+girls+women+rise+Canada+ expert/1823895/story.html)

Old Winter
Saturday, July 25th, 2009, 02:41 AM
5000 breeders less.

Yeah i know, i sound hard, but if you live in a city filled with these idiots you become very misanthropic towards them.

Gardisten
Saturday, July 25th, 2009, 05:31 PM
The real issue is how the Canadian legal system is going to deal with this form of cultural phenomena. If this is an "honour killing" I suspect that the legal system will attempt to paint it as being something more neutral. Just today in the news some guy from some sort of Islamic special interest group was saying he thinks the term "honour killing" is not proper, and that "killing is killing" no matter what.