PDA

View Full Version : Hutterites Need Driver's Licence Photos: Top Court

Gardisten
Saturday, July 25th, 2009, 02:16 AM
The Supreme Court of Canada ruled 4-3 Friday that a Hutterite community in Alberta must abide by provincial rules that make a digital photo mandatory for all new driver's licences as a way to prevent identity theft.

The case involved the Hutterian Brethren of Wilson Colony, located east of Lethbridge, Alta. The group had argued a 2003 regulation enacted by the province requiring photographs on the licences breached their charter right to freedom of religion.

The top court rejected the claim.

"The goal of setting up a system that minimizes the risk of identity theft associated with drivers' licences is a pressing and important public goal," said Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin, writing for the majority.

CBC (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/07/24/hutterite-supreme-court024.html)

The most disturbing thing to me is the vitriolic posts in the "story comments" section. Some examples...

"when are all these religious sects going to figure it out that once they are not on church or their own property, the laws of the state supersede their religious beliefs. move into the 21st century. science has all but proved darwin's theory."

"Hutterites, Amish, Mennonites and a number of other groups are all flying under the radar with their exclusive, insular communities. The amount of repression is staggering in these communities and they do a grand job of making sure we don't see much beyond the romanticized vision of horse 'n buggies carrying fresh faced bonnet clad girls hoisting farm goods to market. It's another one of Canada's dirty little secrets.
Problem is, most of them won't wind up getting a driver's license so the issue isn't about to become a frequent one. But imho it's high time they were treated the same way the rest of us are."

"That's too bad for them, I know they will still refuse allow photo ben taken regardless the ruling, so that would mean they would no longer be able to driving anymore but riding the horses now... but is horses allowed on town's road..?? ha"

"I guess if they dont want their photo taken and the government upholds this, Binladin could become one of them. They could toss their licences and PASSPORTS in a can and travel / drive at will. Religion is a scape goat for people who feel they are superior. If this ridiculous laws sticks lets everyone become hutterite"

SpearBrave
Tuesday, July 28th, 2009, 03:17 AM
I say leave them alone, for the most part they live in their own culture and abide by their own rules and laws.
Here in the U.S. they seem to have alot of germanic children. Some remain with their reliogion others do not.
If they don't want a drivers photo on their licence than so what. Just seems like another way for big brother to control more people to me.