PDA

View Full Version : Do You Drink Alcopops?

Nachtengel
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009, 12:01 PM
I guess I'll jump on the "do you drink..." thread series bandwagon. :D

Alcopop is a term describing certain flavored alcoholic beverages, including:

malt beverages to which various fruit juices or other flavorings have been added,
beverages containing wine to which ingredients such as fruit juice or other flavorings have been added (wine coolers), or
beverages containing distilled alcohol and added ingredients such as fruit juices or other flavorings.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1a/Bacardibreezer.jpg/634px-Bacardibreezer.jpg

Alcopops are popular among the youth in Germany? Do you drink them? Are alcopops a forum of "modern degeneration and decadence"? :P
I'm guilty as charged of drinking them, although I'm far from youth.

Sigurd
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009, 12:15 PM
Poof juice? Of course I'm drinking them sometimes --- but only if the goal is to get really drunk for the sake of having a good time. If it's just about meeting colloquially and enjoying a few drinks together and growing imbibement is a result of the night carrying on for "longer than you expected", then I start with beer and end with beer.

That means, most of the times it's just beer for me, sometimes in combination with Mead. But yea, sometimes I do drink "poof juice", but never out of convenience or relaxation or thirst, more if it's a sanguine party. :P

PS: Mixing beer with lemonade is atrocious. Standard Austrian German has this down as a "Radler", but we call it "Pisse", "Weiberwasser" or "Hustensaft". Mixing with Coke is different, this is allowed and called a "Neger". ;)

EDIT: Addendum - I should note that if I do drink "poof juice", it's usually just to start the night off. At a later stage of the night, such is clearly taboo. And never in a pub either, only at home. :P

Patrioten
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009, 12:23 PM
In Sweden they are viewed as a girly choice of beverage. I've drunk a few Smirnoff ices in the past and tasted some others but they are too sickly sweet and too expensive (the special tax placed on alcopops make them ridicilously expensive here) for my taste.

Stormraaf
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009, 12:43 PM
In Sweden they are viewed as a girly choice of beverage.

In SA too. Here alcopops have been given the derogative label "sletsappies", because it often has more alcohol than beer, though hidden because of the taste, therefor girls become "slutty" when drinking them.

The term quickly dissuades most men from drinking alcopops.

Ossi
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
LOL, no. Alcopops are for girls, teenagers, wussies and faggots.

Hersir
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009, 01:48 PM
No, I dont drink those. Mostly young teenage women and girlymen drink them here, cause they dont like beer. Alcopops is very expensive here in Norway.

Sigurd
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009, 01:55 PM
Come on guys, they're downable like water and perfect for "funneling": You take about 4 of the 275ml bottles, fill them into a funnel-and-hose, and all the fun starts. :D

thoughtcrime
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009, 02:04 PM
>>> Do you drink them? Are alcopops a forum of "modern degeneration and decadence"? <<<

Neither. I don't see there's anything wrong with drinking alcopops in general, their bad reputation is mainly because of several media campaigns.

There is, however, something wrong with children drinking alcohol, but that's not the alcohol's fault but the parent's. It's the lack of roots and security that lets you drink excessively in a young age, not shiny coloured bottles.

I personally don't drink alcopops though, why would I when I can have beer?

Svartljos
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009, 02:43 PM
:S None of my friends with the exception of one would base a night on those things. I don't even like the taste, it's weird. Alcohol is expensive here though, so often a crazy night is based on liquor more than beer or any other drink (at least amongst my student friends). However, beer is by far the alcoholic beverage of choice for me. Not that I'm out getting drunk all the time :p. I hardly ever even have a beer actually these days, there are better things for you to drink health wise I figure (but beer tastes a lot better).

Neophyte
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009, 04:46 PM
I have been to few corporate affairs where they have been supplied for free, so yes I do drink them. However, I do not actually buy them. :)

Renwein
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009, 05:26 PM
some Bacardi breezer flavours are alright but I've hardly drunk them (in fact I don't think I've ever drunk them in a pub/venue etc). Normally I drink Cider.

Smirnoff Ice is OK if it's ICE cold, any warmer than -10 degrees and you can taste it and it is disgusting (plus it makes my teeth hurt). Since pub fridges aren't that cold, I don't drink that either :P

Archers Aqua, on the other hand, is delicious :yumyum and not too sweet either. Unfortunately the range isn't as big as a few years ago since alcopops have become less popular. The notorious WKD Blue is also quite nice ;) as was the 'original controverisal alcopop' Hooch which I got my dad to buy for me sometimes ;) But as said they are too expensive to buy much of, and a bit 'sickly', I don't think I've had any for almost 2 years now.
http://p1.hotornot.com/bl/brands/NROSB/KTKVTBNEFNDBARQQLXRV.jpghttp://britishcornershop.co.uk/images/large/AL0294.jpg

BTW, so far all the guys in the thread have stated a 'blanket ban of unmanliness' on them... except Sigurd :P

Sigurd
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009, 05:36 PM
BTW, so far all the guys in the thread have stated a 'blanket ban of unmanliness' on them... except Sigurd :P

As I tend to say: With drinking poof juice, it's like with wearing pink or listening to Power Metal: it is only done by three types of people - women, faggots and men masculine enough to pull it off.. :D

PS: For the record - I listen to Power Metal, but I don't wear pink. I consider that colour especially horrendous. ;)

Ward
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
Heh.. if ever start drinking wine coolers I'll have to kick my own ass. :P

Svartljos
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009, 06:39 PM
Heh.. if ever start drinking wine coolers I'll have to kick my own ass. :P

:D I just found this too funny.

Grimsteinr
Friday, July 24th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Those are for young men & girls............
Uhhh........and those other funny folks.

Siebenbürgerin
Friday, July 24th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Sometimes. Hmm, I don't think they're girly drinks. Why? Because of the fruity flavours? We shouldn't be fooled by the appearance, sometimes alcopops have as much or more alcohol content than beer. It's easy to become drunk after their consumption.

velvet
Friday, July 24th, 2009, 02:21 PM
The only 'alcopop' drink I like is Smirnoff Ice and then only one. The second already tastes ugly then, due to the artificial sugar(-ersatz) in all of these alcopops.

I prefer to mix my own drinks, Vodka-BitterLemon, Barcardi-Cola, Whiskey-Cola. Tastes much better :thumbup

Is Vodka 'red' an alcopop? Hmm, dont think so, sometimes I like that too.

In general though it is quite rare that I drink alcohol at all, every few months maybe at parties, but (except of wine sometimes to my meals) almost never at home alone.

Ward
Sunday, July 26th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Sometimes. Hmm, I don't think they're girly drinks. Why? Because of the fruity flavours? We shouldn't be fooled by the appearance, sometimes alcopops have as much or more alcohol content than beer. It's easy to become drunk after their consumption.

Precisely. In the U.S., the term "fruity" is used to describe effeminate queer styles, behaviors, and mannerisms. That's just how it is. It's a cultural thing.

If you see a guy drinking a wine cooler or something like that out in public, it's just automatic to assume he's a bit light in the loafers.

SpearBrave
Sunday, July 26th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Fruity drinks= girly drinks. Beer is the drink of choice or bourbon or corn juice in a mason jar.

Sól
Wednesday, November 4th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Occasionally. Alcopops are misleading, I agree with Siebenbürgerin. I got drunk once just from drinking alcopops. :D

Stimme
Wednesday, November 4th, 2009, 12:25 PM
If they are offered to me, sure. My high standards of politeness forbid me to refuse to take them. :P

theTasmanian
Friday, November 6th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Do You Drink Alcopops? .........only if there is no Beer on offer......and when i say beer i mean ANY beer even the pig swill that is main stream Australian beer;)

StormjaerKommando
Friday, November 6th, 2009, 02:40 PM
No, they are too much on the feminine/queer side and cause massive hangovers according to the girls who study with me. I prefer any Reinheitsgebot beer (I'm drinking a Windhoek Draught as I'm writing this :lightbeer) or at least beer brewed by any Germanics. I'll take scotch and ginger ale if I want something sweet.

Bittereinder
Sunday, November 8th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I don’t and neither should anyone else. We have many naturaly brewed alcohols with real taste and astounding variations. Sure it take a bit getting use to, but cutting corners and drinking soda drinks with some added alcohol is missing the whole point IMO. Alcohol has been part of our history and our culture, so for crying out loud drink some natural Germanic drinks. Experiment a little!

xamarth
Tuesday, January 19th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Yeah sometimes. Also in my country it is seen as girly (which I must sort of agree) but it is delicious in summer.

Destroy.To.Create
Thursday, January 21st, 2010, 10:40 PM
Well, i'm young, i'm a girl...

...But alcopops make me puke! :thumbdown
It's just untasty and chemical and way too sweet!
After just one sip i realised it's just not my piece of cake. It's invented for little rich girls who want to get drunk without drinking the "Manly" beer. Too bad.

Just beer or mead, and i'm happy :D

KWulf
Thursday, January 28th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Alcopop is a woman's drink (i mean that in a nice way ladies!) and it rots your teeth down to the roots---worse than coke! :D
The taste is usually too bland or too sharp, and unlike a beer bottle if you get hit by one it shatters into long, razor-like shards which will cut your face to bits. :-O
Its an awful drink and an even more awful experience when you're watching a woman throw it up in your lap in colourful waves after she's down a few dozen too fast. I prefer ale and beer (though some lagers these days could pass as alchopops!).:thumbdown

Ragnar Lodbrok
Wednesday, February 10th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Alcopop is a woman's drink (i mean that in a nice way ladies!) and it rots your teeth down to the roots---worse than coke! :D
The taste is usually too bland or too sharp, and unlike a beer bottle if you get hit by one it shatters into long, razor-like shards which will cut your face to bits. :-O
Its an awful drink and an even more awful experience when you're watching a woman throw it up in your lap in colourful waves after she's down a few dozen too fast. I prefer ale and beer (though some lagers these days could pass as alchopops!).:thumbdown

Jagerbombs sound like they would be much less unhealthy and sugary and tastier and stronger.

TheWildGreen
Saturday, February 13th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Not a chance.

Not that I feel a need to conform to American standards, but these would be unacceptable for a man to drink here.

xamarth
Saturday, July 24th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Nah, don't like them. Way too sweet and tastes like fast food tastes to me. Its the fast food of the drinking world.

BritishLad
Saturday, July 31st, 2010, 12:59 AM
Nope, the only time I've had a drink was when I had some good apple Cider.