PDA

View Full Version : Rune Tattoo Question

■eudiskaz
Thursday, July 16th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I am planning, soon, on getting a runic tattoo of the word "theudiskaz" representing my German heritage back through the ages. I have come up with a 9 character Runeword, from the Futhark. I heard that I should use a diphthong character for the "eu", but I was told I should use the "yew-tree" rune for this diphthong, even though nothing I have seen suggests that the "yew-tree" diphthong applies to anyhting except "ae". I was wondering if any of you would have any possible advice, or knowledge you could pass on to me.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, brothers and sisters.

■eudiskaz
Thursday, July 16th, 2009, 04:12 PM
No one can help me?!

Bitte, ich brauche helfen!

velvet
Thursday, July 16th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I dont know what you mean with yew-tree, but Eihwaz or the "Wolfsangel" rune is the diphthong ei (as the name implies) and also eu.

I've attached you an image with two alternatives, both written with the elder futhark though. For a tattoo I would chose the one which you visually like more, after all, you have it for the rest of your life ;)

■eudiskaz
Thursday, July 16th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I had a design nearly identical to the secondary "spelling".

I will look over and carefully think heavily about which design.

My other arm has "Hallelujah" and the second design has 9 characters, so they match a bit closer, on the other hand, I would likely prefer a more correct version.

I would assume, then, that the diphthong'd version is technically more correct?

Also, thank you very, very much for your help and support! :thumbsup

velvet
Thursday, July 16th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure, but I would guess that theudiskaz comes from teutonic (or something along that)? In that case only the th is diphthong, the e and u are real characters.

■eudiskaz
Thursday, July 16th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure, but I would guess that theudiskaz comes from teutonic (or something along that)? In that case only the th is diphthong, the e and u are real characters.

That's a reasonable guess, and I saw the similarity too. Well, it sounds like I'm on my own, but that's ok, I know why I'm getting it, and what it means, and that's the important part. Though I don't look particularly forward to trying to explain it to my coworkers, and friends, who don't seem to understand the extent of my Germanic pride, oh well.

Thanks velvet, you've been extremely helpful!

velvet
Thursday, July 16th, 2009, 06:24 PM
That's a reasonable guess, and I saw the similarity too. Well, it sounds like I'm on my own, but that's ok, I know why I'm getting it, and what it means, and that's the important part. Though I don't look particularly forward to trying to explain it to my coworkers, and friends, who don't seem to understand the extent of my Germanic pride, oh well.

Thanks velvet, you've been extremely helpful!

You're welcome ;)

Well, explaining runes to people who never saw that, let alone have an idea about the backgrounds could be quite difficult, hehe :D

Post a photo when you got your tattoo, please ;)

■eudiskaz
Friday, July 17th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Here it is!

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff60/brentjungclaus/theudiskaz.jpg

Left forearm.

velvet
Friday, July 17th, 2009, 12:40 PM
:-O so fast? ;)

Is that on the inside of your arm? Isnt that painful?
Ah, however, looks cool! ;)

■eudiskaz
Friday, July 17th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I went and got it done at about 4:00 pm yesterday (central time, so, about 16 hours ago). I had planned on getting "Deutschland" in the same font as on my other forearm for a few weeks, so I was pretty much set to go get it done, when this, superior, idea came up. Yes it is on the inside, so it runs along, and over my veins.

It doesn't actually hurt that bad, I've had my other forearm done for a few weeks now, so I can still remember that.

Thank you, I am pretty pleased with it as well. Now that I have taken the bandage thing off, I took another photo with both forearm tattoos.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff60/brentjungclaus/twotattoos.jpg

ChaosLord
Monday, July 20th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I just got a runic tattoo recently; the Aegishjalmur.

http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/aegishjalmur3.gif

It's called the "helm of awe" and is a rune of protection and irresistability in combat.

■eudiskaz
Monday, July 20th, 2009, 05:00 AM
I just got a runic tattoo recently; the Aegishjalmur.

http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/aegishjalmur3.gif

It's called the "helm of awe" and is a rune of protection and irresistability in combat.

:thumbsup

Pic?

Eoppoyz
Monday, July 20th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Why do you get tattoos if you are a Christian?

■eudiskaz
Monday, July 20th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Why do you get tattoos if you are a Christian?

:??:

Because I want to, usually.

Eoppoyz
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009, 06:27 AM
:??:

Because I want to, usually.

Here is a Bible quote which forbidds it:

Leviticus 19:28

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

In the Swedish translation of the Bible it is written tattoos more exactly.

Neophyte
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009, 06:40 AM
This is interesting, when I look at some of the rune sigils at this site (http://gallery.vanir-lag.org/main.php/v/Miscellaneous/Phelans+Majik+Box/Runes/Rune+Charms/Warrior+Rune+Charms.gif.html) I am struck by how similar some of them, esp. "Odin's Illusionary Rune", are to the sigils for angels and demons in other magical systems.

Anyone who knows something about this?

■eudiskaz
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009, 09:46 AM
Here is a Bible quote which forbidds it:

Leviticus 19:28

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

In the Swedish translation of the Bible it is written tattoos more exactly.

I have also read translations where "tattoo" was used as well (and that is certainly the intent of the verse). The reason that I can call myself a Christian, and still wear tattoos is because Christ promotes different laws, that is a Jewish law, not a Christian one, Jesus Himslef even violated Jewish laws. Whats more is that you should understand the context, the Jews were forbidden from intermingling too much with the pagan cultures in their region, for fear that the Jews would adopt the foreign culture, and the regional pagans used tattoos as a form of idolatry dedicated to their ancestors, which is why it says "for the dead" right before the section that you bolded.

velvet
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009, 10:32 AM
This is interesting, when I look at some of the rune sigils at this site (http://gallery.vanir-lag.org/main.php/v/Miscellaneous/Phelans+Majik+Box/Runes/Rune+Charms/Warrior+Rune+Charms.gif.html) I am struck by how similar some of them, esp. "Odin's Illusionary Rune", are to the sigils for angels and demons in other magical systems.

Anyone who knows something about this?

Hmm, would take a bit of investigation, but they indeed look strikingly similar to f.e. the sigils of the Necronomicon. Since this book is by no means old I'd rather say they resemble older symbols, but became more famous due to the 'sensational character' of this book.
Then Crowley and the satanists movement collected a lot of ancient symbols, not only from norse paganism but also from the Kabbala and the Book of Toth (Egypt), and probably countless other pagan traditions.
The sigils linked look, beside the undermost line, more like sigils formed by using to Ogam alphabet (Gaelic/Celtic), not so much like runes, so I think they are more in the line of Crowley, LaVey etc than in the tradition of bindrunes.

Hersir
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009, 01:26 PM
Actually those "Warrior Rune Charms" have been used as glima wrestlers for good luck, fishermen so they wouldnt peril at sea etc. So they are older than Crowley, LaVey etc. I belive they are from Iceland, and are accociated with galder. They are mentioned in the edda...
Here is a °nskegalderhttp://trig.com/fluffyrose/gallery/detailed/534601. Margit Sandemo made this symbol very popular with her books.

On wikipedia they are known as icelandic magical staves, article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_magical_staves

More: http://www.vestfirdir.is/galdrasyning/magical_staves2.php#Veidistafir

velvet
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009, 03:30 PM
Actually those "Warrior Rune Charms" have been used as glima wrestlers for good luck, fishermen so they wouldnt peril at sea etc. So they are older than Crowley, LaVey etc. I belive they are from Iceland, and are accociated with galder. They are mentioned in the edda...
Here is a °nskegalderhttp://trig.com/fluffyrose/gallery/detailed/534601. Margit Sandemo made this symbol very popular with her books.

On wikipedia they are known as icelandic magical staves, article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_magical_staves

More: http://www.vestfirdir.is/galdrasyning/magical_staves2.php#Veidistafir

Oh, I'm sorry, confused my sentence, hehe, should mean something like: they collected lots of magical symbols from all ages and cultures, and that their collection went into the Necronomicon, when the mad arab wrote that...

However, on the wiki page there are sources mentioned from 17th century, so I wonder if there are older (painted) sources?

I mean, from before the middle ages?

arthor
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
I understand your reasoning behind getting a tattoo as a christian. After all, christians, while holding up the old testament as 'the word' are quite happy to discard it when they feel like it. Not sure why they use the old testament at all really. Tattoos is clearly one of the many areas of contention which led to them breaking away from their mother religion in the first place. Not sure whether the catholics and protestants disagree on tattoos.
What I can't undertand is why you have a christian looking "hallejulia" on one arm and a heathen tattoo on the other. So my query is not why you have a tattoo as a christian but why do you have a tattoo of the sacred runes on the other. Runes given to us by the Allfather, the following of whom was suppressed by sword, trickery and treachery on the part of the christians.
If you choose to be a christian then that is entirely up to you but you shouldn't wear runes in any form unless you are a follower of the old spiritual ways. I understand your pride in your race but maybe gothic script would have been more appropriate???
I have tried getting theudiskaz to translate on an online dictionary but can't. What does it mean??

■eudiskaz
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009, 10:35 AM
I understand your reasoning behind getting a tattoo as a christian. After all, christians, while holding up the old testament as 'the word' are quite happy to discard it when they feel like it. Not sure why they use the old testament at all really. Tattoos is clearly one of the many areas of contention which led to them breaking away from their mother religion in the first place. Not sure whether the catholics and protestants disagree on tattoos.
What I can't undertand is why you have a christian looking "hallejulia" on one arm and a heathen tattoo on the other. So my query is not why you have a tattoo as a christian but why do you have a tattoo of the sacred runes on the other. Runes given to us by the Allfather, the following of whom was suppressed by sword, trickery and treachery on the part of the christians.
If you choose to be a christian then that is entirely up to you but you shouldn't wear runes in any form unless you are a follower of the old spiritual ways. I understand your pride in your race but maybe gothic script would have been more appropriate???
I have tried getting theudiskaz to translate on an online dictionary but can't. What does it mean??

Wikipedia has an article roughly located here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Germany). The Runes are, to me, not in any way symbolic of a religion, but rather a more mundane writing system used by my ancestral Germans. I really don't mean to cause offense by perceived misuse, I deeply respect your feelings about them, but to me they are simply the writing system of my fathers, and grandfathers thousands of years ago, and the most likely name they would have had for themselves.

I do not simply "discard" the Old Testament laws. I examine each one carefully, and examine how that particular law fits into my own faith. I am not necessarily subject to the Judaic law, as Jesus said "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, sould, and strength, and love your neighbor as you love yourself." What I have trouble seeing is where tattoos fit into that law? They fit in because in the time that the OT was written, the cultures near the Jews tattooed themselves as a pagan form of idolatry, and so this practice would have clearly violated their love for God. Today, tattoos represent no such necessary idea. Tattoos can be done for any reason, and are publicly acceptable (for the most part) there is no association between tattoos and paganism, and even the association with "bad people" being the only people to get tattoos is fading rapidly, and thus it does not violate any Christian law to get a tattoo. I think that the OT was included in the Bible largely for an increased historo-cultural perspective, though I am in no way Jewish, and thus not beholden to Judaic law.

Lkcx
Wednesday, November 25th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Im considering getting a runic tattoo on have come across a rune called the Ken Rune also known as the Kenaz Rune. I have red its meaning to be one of passion and strength.

Getting a tattoo of this rune would be very special for me as kenneth is my middle name and my grandfathers name (who passed away 6 weeks before my birth). and the name was usually shortened to Ken.

I was wondering could tell me if my research has proven right on the runes meaning and if there would be any anything wrong with getting surrounded with a circle for the tattoo.

and if its name as the Ken rune has any truth.

my name is also lachlan meaning "war-like" and i have found the Ken rune to be close in meaning to it too.

any other suggestions for a runic tattoo would also be appriciated (with a maximum of 3 runes)

Reshki
Friday, January 8th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Hey guys,

I was thinking of getting a God tattoo in runes.

Is it usually better to get these done as a bindrune, or spelled out?

Also, is there any "not so good" ramifications to having a God's name tattooed on your body?

Angus
Friday, January 8th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Its mostly what you like the most. My Elder Futhark rune tattoos are all spelled out. As for "not so good ramifications" theres not any i can think of to be honest, but id make sure you feel a close connection to that God / Goddess before you get them and their name inked onto your body ;)

Hersir
Friday, January 8th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Hey guys,

Also, is there any "not so good" ramifications to having a God's name tattooed on your body?

I would draw the runes on my body with a marker and wear them for a while before getting a tattoo. So you can see how the runes affect you. The runes can give you powers which are not a benefit in some situations.

hodekin
Friday, January 8th, 2010, 06:06 AM
I would draw the runes on my body with a marker and wear them for a while before getting a tattoo. So you can see how the runes affect you. The runes can give you powers which are not a benefit in some situations.

That is very sound advice!

hodekin

KWulf
Thursday, January 21st, 2010, 12:08 AM
I wouldnt risk getting active runes tattooed on my body. I have got tattooed rune staves spelling out messages and mottos but they arent active. With limited knowledege of their powers there's no telling what the long term effects could be on you. I dont know you personally but unless you have loads of experience i wouldnt recommend having them done.:thumbdown

Of course i may be misreading your wording. If you're just talking about getting rune staves tattooed to spell out the name of a god with no other connetations then that's alright.:thumbup

PS When having runes staves tattooed via the stenciling process make sure the stencil the tattooist is using has every stave on it, when i got mine done i didnt check the stencil and there was a stave missing so the word which was meant to be 'Araed' ended up being 'Raed' which lucikly for me works just as well in Old English.:-O

Reshki
Saturday, January 23rd, 2010, 01:48 AM
Of course i may be misreading your wording. If you're just talking about getting rune staves tattooed to spell out the name of a god with no other connetations then that's alright.:thumbup

Yep, that's what I'm after.

RustyGates
Thursday, September 2nd, 2010, 01:35 PM
Hi there

I was also thinking about having a Rune tattoo on my right wrist but wasnt aware of "active" states, what does that mean?

I am about to embark on 18 months of travelling and was anticipating a completely different life direction from there on, something involving more spirituality and awareness than my current existance.

The clincher for me was drawing a single rune whist focussing on the issue of my travels, it was Teiwaz, in which my rune interpretation book began with this sentence "This is the rune of the spiritual warrior".

I was researching various designs of the symbol when i came accross the post and am very interested in what implications tattooing such a rune could have.

I would love to hear anyones comments on this!!

Rusty

Thornheim
Monday, October 25th, 2010, 03:33 PM
some god's names,will bring you pain,not for bad reasons,but pain none the less. Odin is a great example. he demands sacrificial pain. awakening through intense pain of sacrifice of ones self,just as he performed,so be very very careful what you decide to put onto your body.
also remember,that a tattoo is a blood sacrifice and a tattoo of a god's name,will be swearing yourself to that god,and all the good and painful things that come with that god.

Valfather is who im sworn to,so my tats are specific to him. valknut left shoulder,othola left chest,fylfot left shoulder back,aegishjalmar right shoulder.
more to come.

RustyGates
Tuesday, October 26th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Thanks for your reply Thornheim, and the timing of it as well actually as i had the symbol put on my right wrist 2 days before your reply so it was definately my own decision.

I am quite comfortable with it now and the implications. In the time since the post i did a lot of reading regarding Teiwaz and Tyr and it was clear that what he represents closely represents the values i hold close to my heart. (incidently i was also born on a tuesday)

I also cant deny the power i felt drawing the rune in that particular casting, its like my fingers were electrified. I have never had a casting like that and the feeling of it has definately made a lifelong impression on me.

Im not sure if i have more to come or not, I guess i will have to see what life presents.

Thanks again

ansuz crowning
Tuesday, October 26th, 2010, 08:03 PM
as stated before I have the valknut and the youunger futhark around my right wrist and a Pic of hel on my right inner forearm

ansuz crowning
Tuesday, October 26th, 2010, 08:06 PM
also have a raven on the inside of each wrist, want two wolves but most flashes ive com across look cheesy

Reshki
Wednesday, October 27th, 2010, 04:27 PM
What does the tat of Hel look like?

ansuz crowning
Thursday, October 28th, 2010, 04:39 AM
If I knew how to post pics here I would but it not colored, just shaded, and it depicts her on a throne holdiong a spear.Im sure if you googled the image you would find it

Reshki
Thursday, October 28th, 2010, 06:45 AM
This one?

http://www.timelessmyths.com/norse/gallery/hel.jpg

ansuz crowning
Thursday, October 28th, 2010, 09:14 AM
thats the one, nearly all of my inner forearm

Reshki
Thursday, October 28th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Nice!

Any reason you picked her?

ansuz crowning
Friday, October 29th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Didnt she was one of the first that came to me, the first bieng Odin and I wear his markbon my skin as well

Nordiczek
Thursday, November 11th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I think that every tattoo should be used individually. However, the using of pagan runes with a Christian doesn┤t make a sense. Although, the runes are used basically quite unthinkingly today.

Gullveig
Monday, November 15th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Beautiful. I love the runes. I have a large tattoo on my back of the Aegishjalmer (a runic charm). They are powerful.

Saxe
Wednesday, November 17th, 2010, 06:36 AM
I love the style of your runes! They look awesome!

I have a few as well. The valknut on my calf has a raven on either side, but i could only get one of them into the picture :thumbdown

Nordiczek
Thursday, November 18th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I have a small contribution, too.. :-D

■eudiskaz
Sunday, November 21st, 2010, 03:32 PM
However, the using of pagan runes with a Christian doesn┤t make a sense.

They had literary, as well as religious significance to our folk. Can one person not utilize only one of two meanings in a tattoo? My tattoos express my cultural heritage, and my commitment to my heritage, they don't mean anything specifically pagan, nor should they have to - they were not only used for "pagan" purposes among our people.

Granraude
Monday, December 13th, 2010, 05:25 PM
My little contribution, sorry for the lousy quality.

The runes look squished and stretched on this photo.

Rothhammer
Sunday, September 18th, 2011, 04:18 AM
I noticed on that Sunnyday site they said not to use Ginfaxi and Gapaldur as tattoos. Why?

TSPagan
Sunday, September 18th, 2011, 08:12 AM
to me rune tattoos would imply paganism, christians, hel anyone can get get whatever tattooed. But when I see a white with pagan tattoos I assume, now I know wrongly, that they share old faith. From a previous post a quote is mentioned about blood unity being more important than religious particulars. I think the reliogion is carried in the blood, but as always that is another thread. Back to tats, I drew up a sweet back piece recently with a large sunwheel, 14 brothers of Hel, Nidhoggr, Fenrir, Hati & Skol. The true art will be in the details, but that is the rundown. I'm also doing some bindrunes. It is easy enough to draw up a design, the challenge is creating a mark that will endure the changes you are bound to encounter in life and as you grow to never forget the message/oath/tribute imbued in your very flesh. Don't be silly children. The runes are heavy and their weight is the cosmos, they are a lanquage yes, they are written symbols yes, but never forget you represent the folk when you wear them. Hails

Rothhammer
Sunday, September 18th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I'm pretty certian you're referring to another post I made in another thread. I understand their weight is heavy and that I represent the folk when I wear them. I can't help but feel the power of a rune just looking a one. As a boxer and as someone who's been a combat medic in the Army for 4 1/2 years, it only seems to me that the 2 staves of Icelandic Glima representing courage and victory in combat are the ones I need most.

■eudiskaz
Sunday, September 18th, 2011, 09:48 PM
they are a lanquage yes, they are written symbols yes, but never forget you represent the folk when you wear them. Hails

I understand, and accept that.

Though, to be honest, most people don't know what runes are anyway, so my explanation simply leaves them with a baffled look on their faces. Oh well.

TSPagan
Monday, September 19th, 2011, 01:01 AM
my tattoos disgust people I love it, the baffled look is a chance to stick it to the squares or enlighten them. Either way just wear it with pride and never back down.

Rothhammer
Monday, September 19th, 2011, 01:53 AM
I have 26 tattoos, but since day one I've been getting Nazi jokes. My first tattoo was meant to be my only one, so I spent 2 years making up my mind. I wanted it to show pride in my family and my heritage, but with more creativity than "Rothhammer" across my back. I got "Der rot Hammer" tattooed to my right shoulder, all around a red sledge hammer, the original design neither the tattoo artist or myself knew at the time, but I later came to find was one man's interpretation of Mjolnir. I chose the old translation of my name as it was written before my family came to America, Rothammer with only 1 h, and with the word "Der" cause I was cocky and I didn't know a better way to translate that fact than the word "the", as if I was so important to deserve singular distinction. Totally cocky. haha There was a short period where 1 ignorant guy at basic training had everyone convinced I was a Russian communist cause it was a foreign language with a hammer. Total douche.

■eudiskaz
Monday, September 19th, 2011, 02:25 AM
I have 26 tattoos, but since day one I've been getting Nazi jokes. My first tattoo was meant to be my only one, so I spent 2 years making up my mind. I wanted it to show pride in my family and my heritage, but with more creativity than "Rothhammer" across my back. I got "Der rot Hammer" tattooed to my right shoulder, all around a red sledge hammer, the original design neither the tattoo artist or myself knew at the time, but I later came to find was one man's interpretation of Mjolnir. I chose the old translation of my name as it was written before my family came to America, Rothammer with only 1 h, and with the word "Der" cause I was cocky and I didn't know a better way to translate that fact than the word "the", as if I was so important to deserve singular distinction. Totally cocky. haha There was a short period where 1 ignorant guy at basic training had everyone convinced I was a Russian communist cause it was a foreign language with a hammer. Total douche.

I don't know, I like the sound of the tattoo. What a badass last name, let me say! Mine is (still German, so pretty awesome) way less "cool" than yours. "Jungclaus" (no Googlers please! :p) which means it was given either to the younger of two Clauses in the village, or Claus Jr. I don't know how to make that into a distinct tattoo like yours! ;)

my tattoos disgust people I love it, the baffled look is a chance to stick it to the squares or enlighten them. Either way just wear it with pride and never back down.

Oh, I love my tattoos, and what they represent. I do have a spiritual connection to my ancestors, and to their spirituality. I wear a Mjolnir even though I do not personally worship Donar as a deity, I still have respect for the ideals upon which worship of him is built. So despite that I am not a pagan religiously, I am not so "disconnected" from the teachings, faith, and beliefs.

Rothhammer
Monday, September 19th, 2011, 02:53 AM
I have also read translations where "tattoo" was used as well (and that is certainly the intent of the verse). The reason that I can call myself a Christian, and still wear tattoos is because Christ promotes different laws, that is a Jewish law, not a Christian one, Jesus Himslef even violated Jewish laws. Whats more is that you should understand the context, the Jews were forbidden from intermingling too much with the pagan cultures in their region, for fear that the Jews would adopt the foreign culture, and the regional pagans used tattoos as a form of idolatry dedicated to their ancestors, which is why it says "for the dead" right before the section that you bolded.

Right here is proof for you. His own desiple basically saying "Fuck that shit".

Romans 3:27-30
King James Version (KJV)

"27Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

28Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

29Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also:"

■eudiskaz
Monday, September 19th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Right here is proof for you. His own desiple basically saying "Fuck that shit".

Romans 3:27-30
King James Version (KJV)

"27Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

28Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

29Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also:"

Yep.

Too many people pretend that every word of the Old Testament should be strictly followed. They apply it to homosexuality, and the Ten Commandments, and sometimes tattoos, and then don't apply it to people who work on Sunday, or to people who eat shellfish, or people who wear clothing made from more than one type of fabric (like cotton/poly blends!)

Unfortunately, so many Christians have such a poor literary, or theological understanding of the Bible... why should anyone else?

Feyn
Monday, September 19th, 2011, 11:49 AM

Hi rothammer

you should think about getting one more tattoe. You see the number 3 has very much meaning in the germanic tradition, and 27 is 3*3*3 or 3^3 , which would be considered a very powerfull and meaningfull number. Examples are the 9 virtues, 9 worlds, which are divided in upper world, middle world and underworld (so 3 groups). There are many more examples.
Christianity later adopted that and invented the holy ghost to implement the three. So i think 27 tattoes would be very fitting.

just my 2 cents

btw it does also play a big role in celtic tradition, and in whitchcraft (for example a circle of whitches is 3 : maiden, mother and crone)

Rothhammer
Monday, September 19th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Hi rothammer

you should think about getting one more tattoe. You see the number 3 has very much meaning in the germanic tradition, and 27 is 3*3*3 or 3^3 , which would be considered a very powerfull and meaningfull number. Examples are the 9 virtues, 9 worlds, which are divided in upper world, middle world and underworld (so 3 groups). There are many more examples.
Christianity later adopted that and invented the holy ghost to implement the three. So i think 27 tattoes would be very fitting.

just my 2 cents

btw it does also play a big role in celtic tradition, and in whitchcraft (for example a circle of whitches is 3 : maiden, mother and crone)
I knew that about the numbers, but never thought about applying it to the number of tattoos I have. Thanks alot.

Valknut
Tuesday, September 20th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Tats are a very personal thing and if a man chooses to mix a Christian statement and Runes showing pride of heritage he shouldn't have to explain himself. Would not be my cup of tea but hey we are all Northern Europeans here and rowing the same long ship.
The question is what were the tattoos like on our ancient brothers and sisters. I am sure everyone has seen the Kurgan excavations and the intricate tattoos on men and women alike. Griffins, elk and such.
Harold Godwinson probably had tats as that is how they identified his body on the field of Hastings. He got pretty beat up! Ibn Fadlyn (sp) wrote of the Swedes\Rus that were covered head to toe with tattoos. There are also ancient Norse techniques that I have read about where they sew the tattoo lines in. Ancient peoples got alot of mojo from symbols and it would be natural to imprint these on the body. Sounds cheesy but I feel power in mine.

Rothhammer
Tuesday, September 20th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Here's some of my stuff.

2nd and 4th are backwards cause of the mirror.

Blackened_Might
Tuesday, September 20th, 2011, 03:04 AM
Hey guys,

Why would you even think of marking the name of the Jewish god into your flesh in runes of all characters? Why don't you use Hebrew characters instead? The runes are irrelevant to Christianity as with any other Semitic/ Abrahamic/ desert and non- European religion. Anyway, this is what I have so far. Only time will tell if I ever mark anything more into my flesh.

Granraude
Tuesday, September 20th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Nice Thurs and Ty runes ^^

Any particular reasons you have them? (and please, don't say you think the Thurs rune represents Tor as many think =P)

ansuz crowning
Tuesday, September 20th, 2011, 03:17 AM
forgive if this comes out wrong this system is different than what Im accustomed to

plus i have another raven and a valknut in the middle of runes around my wrist

■eudiskaz
Tuesday, September 20th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Tats are a very personal thing and if a man chooses to mix a Christian statement and Runes showing pride of heritage he shouldn't have to explain himself. Would not be my cup of tea but hey we are all Northern Europeans here and rowing the same long ship.

Thanks. I agree with your sentiment!

And, the name was Fadlan. You were pretty close, lol. ;)

Why would you even think of marking the name of the Jewish god into your flesh in runes of all characters? Why don't you use Hebrew characters instead? The runes are irrelevant to Christianity as with any other Semitic/ Abrahamic/ desert and non- European religion. Anyway, this is what I have so far. Only time will tell if I ever mark anything more into my flesh.

Read his post again, more carefully. He said "a God" likely as in a Northern god. You are likely confusing my right arm tattoo with his distinct tattoo idea.

Blackened_Might
Tuesday, September 20th, 2011, 04:14 AM
Nice Thurs and Ty runes ^^

Any particular reasons you have them? (and please, don't say you think the Thurs rune represents Tor as many think =P)

Thank you. It's funny because I was about to mention its connection with Thor and/ or the Jotuns. Actually, they have their rather reasonable purposes and my tattoo artist was a wigger mind you, but that didn't create any complications. I doubt my communication with the gods has been severed for simply allowing some wannabe n****r jackanape to mark my arms with the runes that only I understood anyway, despite my artist at the time having been an Aryan (an Aryan with no clue about life or death of course, let alone his own heritage which he flushed down the john). I've been an Odinist for about a year and have been studying Germanic Paganism for six years and feel that I have sufficient knowledge to be able to mark my body with such powerful arcane symbols. Anyway, I intend on enlisting in the military and for this reason, I marked my arms with the two war runes (eventually, it will actually complete a ring). The Thurisaz to represent and evoke fully the masculine essence, for reactive defense, and strength and the Tiwaz to represent and evoke honor, justice, self- sacrifice, success in my competitive and legal endeavors, and authority. They also represent my loyalty and commitment to Thor and Tyr as they're my patron gods. The black sun represents borrowed wisdom from Odin. The bottom line is that I don't just whimsically mark my body with random symbols. My tattoos are a long time in the contemplating.

Blackened_Might
Tuesday, September 20th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Whoops. I misread your post Reshki:D An apology I give to you

http://www.oktoberfest-newfoundland.com/images/beer-steins2.jpg