PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cosby's un-PC remarks on underclass Blacks

Telperion
Friday, May 28th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Pointed Remarks May Spark Much-Needed Debate
By Cynthia Tucker

Never mind Howard University. The administration of the Washington, D.C., institution is apparently in a bit of a huff because Bill Cosby used its podium to criticize the failings of black America -- especially its underclass. Howard's leaders, who won't release a transcript of Cosby's speech, are still not prepared to have a public discussion of self-inflicted wounds.

But much of black America, especially its middle class, is ready to have that conversation. In that sense, Cosby's speech was a watershed event -- a sign that black America is now comfortable enough with its accomplishments to discuss its shortcomings. "Perhaps Bill did us a favor," says NAACP President Kweisi Mfume, who attended the ceremony, "and more people will now be prepared to step forward. It'll be a tough-love conversation, whether or not people want to have it. And it will take opinion leaders to say those things that should be said."

Not all black Americans agree with the remarks Cosby made at a May 17 celebration of the 50th anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court's Brown v. Board of Education decision. Indeed, his criticism of everything from speech patterns to spending habits among the black poor was pointedly politically incorrect.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal," he said. "These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids -- $500 sneakers for what? And won't spend $200 for 'Hooked on Phonics'" to improve their children's reading and speech. Of the disproportionate number of blacks in prison, Cosby had this to say: "These are not political criminals. These are people going around stealing Coca-Cola. People getting shot in the back of the head over a piece of pound cake, and then we run out and we are outraged, saying, 'The cops shouldn't have shot him.' What in the hell was he doing with the pound cake in his hand?"

After the speech, Theodore Shaw, head of the NAACP legal defense fund, rushed to the podium to serve up a rejoinder, noting that larger (read "white") American society still bears some responsibility for the failure of so many black Americans to join the economic and cultural mainstream. That is clearly so. But isn't it about time that black Americans acknowledge that, at the dawn of the 21st century, personal responsibility has at least as much to do with success in modern America as race? Isn't it only fair to note that the landmark Supreme Court ruling of 50 years ago did roll back much of systemic racism?

After all, if you believe that racism continues to largely limit black success, that will certainly prove itself true. "There is no reason that black students have to do poorly in math and science, in speech, in cognitive abilities," Mfume said. "When you're quiet about those (shortcomings), young people notice, and it sounds like you're giving your approval."

Some blacks have recoiled from Cosby's pointed remarks not because they disagree but because they don't want to discuss certain ignominious truths in front of white folks. They fear such painful self-analysis will only provide fodder to the race-baiters -- the Neal Boortzes and Rush Limbaughs -- who work hard at stoking a white backlash. I'm sure Boortz and Limbaugh have already made ample use of Cosby's speech to stir up racist rants among a certain segment of their listeners. So what? They'd look for excuses to poke the tender wounds of race, no matter what Cosby had said.

It is more important that black Americans have a spirited debate about the challenges of the post-civil rights era: How do we raise the academic achievement of black students? How do we curb black-on-black crime? How do we attack the AIDS epidemic spreading like wildfire in black America?

In a way, Cosby's speech was an eloquent reminder of the stunning success of the civil rights movement that followed the Brown decision: Black America is strong enough and successful enough to admit its shortcomings and gird itself for the work ahead.

Cynthia Tucker is editorial page editor for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Copyright 2004 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.

Agrippa
Friday, May 28th, 2004, 06:05 PM
For a more or less Negrid Cosby is quite progressive, even more so was his son who died in a tragic incident.

Maybe thats another reason why he is saying the truth about certain facts which make blacks not as successful as whites on average.

I always thought that on the long run blacks should know that they need Eugenic policies and white help to run a society on high level on their own.
Such a society on their own would be the best soluation for all.

But thats maybe the next step if pauperization reach new and so far unknown levels in America.

Oskorei
Friday, May 28th, 2004, 06:35 PM
I always thought that on the long run blacks should know that they need Eugenic policies and white help to run a society on high level on their own.
Such a society on their own would be the best soluation for all.

But thats maybe the next step if pauperization reach new and so far unknown levels in America.
Blacks are the only non-white group I've encountered that sometimes agree themselves that the white man is smarter and knows how to run things for them. Arabs, turks, iranians and similar groups would get extremely mad if someone even mentioned something similar about them.

Maybe we would get along quite well with the black population if it was not for certain pseudo-intellectual and other groups (you all know who I mean) who incite them against us.

Scoob
Friday, May 28th, 2004, 06:39 PM
The dominant Black culture in the USA promotes a very nihilistic, negative spin on life. A lot of responsibly-minded Blacks (including Bill Cosby) are outraged at this.

Before the 1960's, there was a moral consensus in America. Not coincidentally, this was also the era of our greatest power and affluence. Everyone knew how they should behave. Now it's moral chaos.

The sex and drugs Hippy movemetn has been immensely destructive to our society.

Also, regarding the Black community: Black-on-Black crime is a problem, but so is Black-on-White crime. Last week there was a 13 year old blonde girl with cerebral palsy whose hair was set on fire at her school.

The boy was not named or shown, but when the girl recounted the event on TV, the boy clearly used Black idiom during his attack. The principal shown was also Black. The principal kicked the disabled girl out of school - and the boy who assaulted her is still attending classes. The school was named "Martin Luther King" high school.

Here is the news story: http://www.clickondetroit.com/education/3349955/detail.html

Oskorei
Friday, May 28th, 2004, 07:49 PM
The dominant Black culture in the USA promotes a very nihilistic, negative spin on life. A lot of responsibly-minded Blacks (including Bill Cosby) are outraged at this.

Before the 1960's, there was a moral consensus in America. Not coincidentally, this was also the era of our greatest power and affluence. Everyone knew how they should behave. Now it's moral chaos.

The sex and drugs Hippy movemetn has been immensely destructive to our society.

Also, regarding the Black community: Black-on-Black crime is a problem, but so is Black-on-White crime. Last week there was a 13 year old blonde girl with cerebral palsy whose hair was set on fire at her school.

The boy was not named or shown, but when the girl recounted the event on TV, the boy clearly used Black idiom during his attack. The principal shown was also Black. The principal kicked the disabled girl out of school - and the boy who assaulted her is still attending classes. The school was named "Martin Luther King" high school.

Here is the news story: http://www.clickondetroit.com/education/3349955/detail.html
Disgusting. This is what happens when blacks gain power over whites. Unfortunately many whites still dont understand that for the majority of blacks, immigrants ans so on, "multiculturalism" and "antiracism" equals "da white man he be evil. mo' powah to da black man" and not some cute equality-ideology.

You see it a lot in Sweden also. Antiracism is merely a tool for immigrants that they use to get things, or threaten whites ("you not giving me da welfare. you be racist. me report ya" or "you dress like skinhead. you be racist. me kill you. me be hero"), not something they believe in.

Awar
Wednesday, June 9th, 2004, 04:48 AM
No Judgment

Comedian Bill Cosby (search) is being derided as racist, classist and elitist following a speech in which he criticized black Americans for their speech patterns and exaggerated complaints about police brutality, reports The Associated Press.

Speaking at a commemoration of the anniversary of the Brown v. Board of Education desegregation decision, Cosby criticized low-income blacks for not using the opportunities the civil rights movement won for them.

"I can't even talk the way these people talk, 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is' ... and I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk," Cosby said. "And then I heard the father talk ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth."

Among the critics was hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons (search), who questioned Cosby's tone.

"Judgment of the people in the situation is not helpful. How can you help them is the question," he said.

In a statement issued the weekend after his remarks, Cosby said his comments were intended to be a call to action.

"I feel that I can no longer remain silent. If I have to make a choice between keeping quiet so that conservative media does not speak negatively or ringing the bell to galvanize those who want change in the lower economic community, then I choose to be a bell ringer," he said.

Please take a look at more terrifying news here:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,121938,00.html

AngryPotato
Wednesday, June 9th, 2004, 05:03 AM
I hate to have to agree with Bill... if blacks acted and spoke properly instead of having to develop weird manners of dress and speech to stand out in a public place I would find it somewhat easier to deal with them. Unfortunately for Bill nothing will change and they will remain societys jesters.

How is the Cosby article more important than this one???? :-O

A lawyer in Portland, Ore., plans to argue that his client beat his 2-year-old son to death because his ancestors were abused as slaves hundreds of years ago, reports the Portland Oregonian.

Lawyer Randall Vogt said his client, Isaac Cortez Bynum, whipped and broke his son's neck and ribs because he suffers from post-traumatic slave syndrome (search).

The syndrome's main proponent, Portland academic Joy DeGruy-Leary, claims that because African Americans never got a chance to heal from slavery and still face racism, oppression and societal inequality, they suffer from multigenerational trauma.

Awar
Wednesday, June 9th, 2004, 05:13 AM
I was about to make another thread for that exact article. :|

AngryPotato
Wednesday, June 9th, 2004, 05:22 AM
You should still make the article. More people will look at an article with Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome title than Bill Cosby accused. ;)

Foxnews huh? Are you turning into an evil conservative with a developing neocon idealogy?!? :P

Telperion
Wednesday, June 9th, 2004, 05:54 AM
I'm not surprised Bill Cosby is being given a hard time by the Thought Police. Still, imagine what would have happened to a White person who dared to point out any of the obvious facts that Cosby mentioned in his speech...

Agrippa
Wednesday, June 9th, 2004, 05:01 PM
A lawyer in Portland, Ore., plans to argue that his client beat his 2-year-old son to death because his ancestors were abused as slaves hundreds of years ago, reports the Portland Oregonian.

Lawyer Randall Vogt said his client, Isaac Cortez Bynum, whipped and broke his son's neck and ribs because he suffers from post-traumatic slave syndrome (search).

The syndrome's main proponent, Portland academic Joy DeGruy-Leary, claims that because African Americans never got a chance to heal from slavery and still face racism, oppression and societal inequality, they suffer from multigenerational trauma.

Is this a sick joke of a perverted idiot?

Cant believe such nonsence...

Yes and all Germans which were displaced during and after WW2 can shoot everybody in the street even in the 3rd generation because of their trauma...

This would be more realistic than something going back 150 years...

bocian
Wednesday, June 9th, 2004, 05:09 PM
I'm really starting to like Mr. Cosby. The funniest part of the whole article was Russell Simmons' comment. How dare he question Cosby's remarks, when he himself is a leading contributor to the degeneration of not only Black youth, but American youth in general.

Awar
Wednesday, June 9th, 2004, 05:24 PM
If more blacks were like him, they'd be far better off. Hopefully, back in Africa, living in a functional society.