PDA

View Full Version : Best Uses of the Younger and Elder Futharks?

BroadHeart
Monday, July 6th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I am pretty new to the Runes and picked them up at first for defense against some bad magickal attacks but began to see that they are much more than that. I started out with the younger because I had heard it was better. My question is what are the advantages and disadvantages of each. I have found plenty of information on the Elder but not much on the Younger. Can anyone help me decide which one to go with. It seems to me with the Elder Futhark one would be able to do more but I have heard that the Elder is best for divination and the Younger is better for active work.

Nagelfar
Tuesday, July 7th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Younger runes are more refined. Edred Thorsson has some easily found books (in modern books stores, at least here in the U.S.) on the younger runes that are worth checking into.

Repaermirg
Saturday, March 6th, 2010, 06:39 AM
The younger were the "Viking runes." They were used in Scandinavia during a decent portion of the Viking Age. I prefer them because this is the time and place from which the "myths" as we have them today originate, more or less. They are fewer, but that just means that each rune is more complex. They are good if you want a general idea or usage. They are not so good if you intend to write with them (it can be done, but they have to take on multiple sounds.)
The elder are used most often today. Advantages include more detail, greater versatility, and easier use as an actual alphabet. Disadvantages include being mistaken for a Wiccan/New-Ager (They seem to like the gold-painted-colored-glass ones, and many outright refuse to use anything but the Elder Futhark) and more work put into carving out the alphabet (also, if you make a rune set and stain them with blood, you've got eight more symbols to stain.) As well as that, the names are not actually recorded. Most of them are the "best guesses" of historians. For any chanting, you're using approximated names. That's fine, but many heathens value historical accuracy.